Cimini: QB Watch

flgreen

OCT 16

9:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

A weekly examination of the New York Jets' quarterback position.

Smith

Rewind: Rookie Geno Smith wasn't terrible against the Pittsburgh Steelers -- at least not Tennessee terrible -- but he wasn't nearly as good as he needed to be. He completed 19 of 34 passes for 201 yards, but he threw two interceptions deep in scoring territory and failed to get his team into the end zone. He was frustrated by a defense that was determined not to give up big plays. Smith missed his one big chance, overthrowing Stephen Hill on what should have been a 77-yard touchdown.

Fast-forward: Smith gets another crack at the New England Patriots. This should be a good barometer of how much he has grown as a quarterback since Week 2. Facing the Patriots on a short week (a Thursday night game), he fell apart with three interceptions in the fourth quarter. In fact, the three picks came in a span of 11 plays. No team can beat the Patriots with that many mistakes. Smith won't see a lot of blitzes from the Patriots, but his patience will be tested, as it was by the Steelers. He can't lose his cool because you know Tom Brady won't.

The right stuff: This is a quirky stat, but Smith is a much more efficient passer when he throws to the right. His passer rating when he throws to the left sideline is 103.7, and his rating when he throws to the right side is 117.6, according to ESPN Stats & Information. His ratings in the other areas aren't even close.

Prediction: To avoid third-and-long situations, in which Bill Belichick is at his scheming best, Smith needs the support of a running game. The Patriots will be without nose tackle Vince Wilfork and linebacker Jerod Mayo, so the Jets should be able to make yards on the ground. If not, it'll be another long day for Smith.

The problem will be in finding a healthy RB to run the football. Ivory is clamoring for the ball so give it to him. Powell has done a great job, but he is banged up, but should still play. Marty has shown some balance this season, though still his play calling has come into question here. If the Jets are to win it will be the front seven that takes the fight to the NE offensive line and puts pressure up the middle on Brady. That is the only way to knock him off kilter.

"Rewind: Rookie Geno Smith wasn't terrible against the Pittsburgh Steelers -- at least not Tennessee terrible"

​Not a good sign when you have to start qualifying levels of terrible for your QB  

Start?  What do you mean start?  When is the last time the Jets didn't have to qualify levels of terrible QB play?

Yeah, because the other two that he won with game ending drives were awful.  Can you admit that he has done better than you thought he would and shows promise?

He's had 5 multiple turnover games out of 6. Define better? my problem with Geno is that he never earned the job. it was given to him via injury. If we are being honest, Matt Simms was the best QB in preseason. 

"Rewind: Rookie Geno Smith wasn't terrible against the Pittsburgh Steelers -- at least not Tennessee terrible"

​Not a good sign when you have to start qualifying levels of terrible for your QB  

I agree, but I'd rather they be qualifying levels of terrible than perpetuating acceptance of terrible because of two AFCC games.

I agree, but I'd rather they be qualifying levels of terrible than perpetuating acceptance of terrible because of two AFCC games.

Agree also, but here is the thing.  Smith isn't competing against Sanchez anymore.  Sanchez is gone.  Smith is competing against the other QB's in the league.  Yes, he's a rookie, but all these posts defending him are eerily similar to the ones that were posted defending Sanchez in his first year.

He's had one good game.  The other 5 he has had multiple turnovers.  Don't consider the Falcon's game a break out game because he fell right back in the same crap against the Steelers.  

Not burying him yet, but he's worrying me  

He's had 5 multiple turnover games out of 6. Define better? my problem with Geno is that he never earned the job. it was given to him via injury. If we are being honest, Matt Simms was the best QB in preseason. 

With that logic, Billal Powell was better than either one of them because he never threw an incompletion.  Anyone who is being honest knows Simms is just a guy.  After reading your review of Geno at draft time, I never would have expected that he would be rated the 5th best rookie by Mel Kiper at this point.

If we were going to judge every QB on their first 6 game s in the NFL- there would be  practically any starters in the league

I agree with you but   Smith is somewhat of  a different situation then most QB's.  He has never played in a system that even vaguely resembles a Pro offense.  He has never played from under center. 

He just doesn't belong on the field at this point.  We're not talking about just getting up to speed. He is starting from scratch.  Not saying he will always be a bum.  But he shouldn't be out there now.

With that said, I don't know what can be done at this point

With that logic, Billal Powell was better than either one of them because he never threw an incompletion.  Anyone who is being honest knows Simms is just a guy.  After reading your review of Geno at draft time, I never would have expected that he would be rated the 5th best rookie by Mel Kiper at this point.

I don't care what Kiper says, Smith is not the 5th best rookie.  The Jets alone have 3 of them that are better at their job then Smith is.

I agree with you but   Smith is somewhat of  a different situation then most QB's.  He has never played in a system that even vaguely resembles a Pro offense.  He has never played from under center. 

He just doesn't belong on the field at this point.  We're not talking about just getting up to speed. He is starting from scratch.  Not saying he will always be a bum.  But he shouldn't be out there now.

With that said, I don't know what can be done at this point

He's 3-3 with 3 come from behind victories on a sh*t team.  He belongs on the field, he's just not very good yet.  Which is to be expected from a raw rookie.

He's 3-3 with 3 come from behind victories on a sh*t team.  He belongs on the field, he's just not very good yet.  Which is to be expected from a raw rookie.

C'mon JiF, if your going to use that argument for Smith, then you have to buy into the argument that Sanchez is a great QB because of 2 AFCCG's and 4 and 2 in the playoffs.

It didn't work for Sanchez, and it's won't fly for Smith either unless he gets better.  I stated calling Smith Mini Mark a few weeks ago because of the similarities.  Decided to abandon it for now.   

C'mon JiF, if your going to use that argument for Smith, then you have to buy into the argument that Sanchez is a great QB because of 2 AFCCG's and 4 and 2 in the playoffs.

It didn't work for Sanchez, and it's won't fly for Smith either unless he gets better.  I stated calling Smith Mini Mark a few weeks ago because of the similarities.  Decided to abandon it for now.   

There is absolutely zero comparison.  Its game 6 in his rookie season and shown he can play a high level.  Just because he's turning the ball over doesnt mean he doesnt belong.  Carson Palmer and Eli Manning have thrown more picks and Joe Flacco and Matt Schaub are right on his tail.

He's won 3 games in a come from behind fashion...saying he doest belong is a bit extreme.  Saying he's not very good and needs to improve is dead on accurate.  I think he's clearly earned his right to be on the field.  The locker room agrees.  

Agree also, but here is the thing.  Smith isn't competing against Sanchez anymore.  Sanchez is gone.  Smith is competing against the other QB's in the league.  Yes, he's a rookie, but all these posts defending him are eerily similar to the ones that were posted defending Sanchez in his first year.

He's had one good game.  The other 5 he has had multiple turnovers.  Don't consider the Falcon's game a break out game because he fell right back in the same crap against the Steelers.  

I agree that the posts defending him are similar to those that defended Sanchez as a rookie, but that being said - the argument to let Sanchez learn and bear with the mistakes was the RIGHT argument in his rookie year. Those arguments stopped being acceptable after he wasn't a rookie anymore.

Geno's got to be given a chance to matriculate, this much is a no-brainer.

I hate this stat for any damn QB or coach or team.   It's one thing if it's one of those Montana like drives against the Bengals in a Super bowl.  That's a come from behind drive.   It's what Elway did in the 80's.     I hate when the media and fans jump on "comeback kid" for any QB when it's in a game where they were down 17-16 with 10 minutes left in a game.    I hate when the QB becomes a "comeback Kid" when the offense barely gets one first down and a kicker is the one who wins the game.   

It's one thing going from the 10 yard line, down to the 25 of the opponetns with no timeouts and getting into good FG range.   It's another when the ball is at the 45 and they have one first down and a kicker needs to make a 55 yard FG.      Many QBs get credit for what is really all on a kicker.      And then the kicker gets killed when they miss a 50 yard FG in december in Green bay or something.    

So it was nice the Jets beat the Bucs, but it was more because of an idiot who pushed him out of balance and got called for a 15 yard penalty then Geno had one hell of a comeback.    And then the Kicker needed to make a FG.     

I still think it's early and who knows what Geno can and can not do, he's played only 6 games.  Give him the rest of the season before having any valid opinion on whether or not he's great or terrible.  He's still learning.  But don't use the so overblown overhyped useless "Comeback king" for a QB.  Most of that is just some overblown media hype.

I hate this stat for any damn QB or coach or team.   It's one thing if it's one of those Montana like drives against the Bengals in a Super bowl.  That's a come from behind drive.   It's what Elway did in the 80's.     I hate when the media and fans jump on "comeback kid" for any QB when it's in a game where they were down 17-16 with 10 minutes left in a game.    I hate when the QB becomes a "comeback Kid" when the offense barely gets one first down and a kicker is the one who wins the game.   

It's one thing going from the 10 yard line, down to the 25 of the opponetns with no timeouts and getting into good FG range.   It's another when the ball is at the 45 and they have one first down and a kicker needs to make a 55 yard FG.      Many QBs get credit for what is really all on a kicker.      And then the kicker gets killed when they miss a 50 yard FG in december in Green bay or something.    

So it was nice the Jets beat the Bucs, but it was more because of an idiot who pushed him out of balance and got called for a 15 yard penalty then Geno had one hell of a comeback.    And then the Kicker needed to make a FG.     

I still think it's early and who knows what Geno can and can not do, he's played only 6 games.  Give him the rest of the season before having any valid opinion on whether or not he's great or terrible.  He's still learning.  But don't use the so overblown overhyped useless "Comeback king" for a QB.  Most of that is just some overblown media hype.

You're the one calling him the comeback kid.  I'm just simply pointing out he's won 3 games, with game winning drives, in come from behind fashion.  It means, he can elevate his play when necessary and doesnt shy away from the big moment.  Its a good thing.  I'm not saying it means he's great or will be great but I think when you can do that...you "belong" on the field.  Which is really all I'm attacking here.  

Especially when he was doing it with Clyde Gates et al at WR.  Let him go through his ups and downs this year.  It is inevitable with a rookie QB.  Next year we have some money and draft picks to throw at our problems on offense.  I hope Idzik will address it then.

Agree also, but here is the thing. Smith isn't competing against Sanchez anymore. Sanchez is gone. Smith is competing against the other QB's in the league. Yes, he's a rookie, but all these posts defending him are eerily similar to the ones that were posted defending Sanchez in his first year.

He's had one good game. The other 5 he has had multiple turnovers. Don't consider the Falcon's game a break out game because he fell right back in the same crap against the Steelers.

Lol sometimes I just read this forum and shake my head. Worrying you? Its 6 games in man. What is with some of you?

Its just a perfect example of how everyone is nowadays...everything needs to be ******* immediate. I got news for all of you doubting Smith and getting "worried" after 6 games...he is NOT Andrew Luck and does not have half the team that Russell Wilson has. So if thats what youre going to judge off of. Good luck.

Give him time to learn for ****s sake. Stop comparing him to Sanchez, who he CLEARLY has more ability and upside than, and stop looking for him to play lights out every week. I dont care if he has 14 multi turnover games if he finds a way to oull them out and gets better each week.

There is absolutely zero comparison.  Its game 6 in his rookie season and shown he can play a high level.  Just because he's turning the ball over doesnt mean he doesnt belong.  Carson Palmer and Eli Manning have thrown more picks and Joe Flacco and Matt Schaub are right on his tail.

He's won 3 games in a come from behind fashion...saying he doest belong is a bit extreme.  Saying he's not very good and needs to improve is dead on accurate.  I think he's clearly earned his right to be on the field.  The locker room agrees.  

I'm probably not making myself clear.  It's not that I am sure that Smith is going to be a total bust, I think the kid has a live arm, and at times makes great throws.  I just think being on the field right now is detrimental both for his career, and the Jets  future.

What ever.  If he drops another turd on Sunday, they'll start booing.  Not good for a young QB.  I honestly, at this point don't know what the solution is, I just don't think it's good for anybody for him to be on the field right now. 

So if a QB has more than 1 turnover in a game but wins, it is a bad game.  That is a gross generalization.

I agree that the posts defending him are similar to those that defended Sanchez as a rookie, but that being said - the argument to let Sanchez learn and bear with the mistakes was the RIGHT argument in his rookie year. Those arguments stopped being acceptable after he wasn't a rookie anymore.

Except it wasn't acceptable in 2009.  That was a team that, with a non-rookie QB, could have done much more damage.  This team presently sucks, outside of a handful of linemen and one young ILB.  Our GM didn't spend like he was building for a championship run in 2009-2011 and then hand QB job to a rookie.  (Particularly, as it turned out, the wrong rookie).

Calling him Mini Mark wouldn't be fair, so it's good that you've abandoned it. He's completing more passes for a lot more yards than Sanchez ever did. He's very close to a pace that would make him the Jets first 4000 yard passer since Joe Namath - and that's with a serious weapon void.

I thought the gameplan against Pittsburgh was too conservative, and I hope they go back to letting him fling it more during the course of the game. He has five interceptions in the fourth quarters against the Steelers and Pats, and I suspect that's a product of holding back too much, followed by pushing too much. It's hard for a veteran to simply turn it on in the fourth, much harder for a rookie. I'm far more interested in Geno developing than I am in wins, quite frankly. If he really can develop into an elite QB, the Jets will be in outstanding shape next year and beyond. All focus should be on that.

And if Geno isn't developing into an elite QB, the Jets need to know that, too. I say let him keep tossing those learnterceptions. Short term pain for potentially long term gain.

He needs to be given a chance to enroll in college? I thought he already had that opportunity.

I'm probably not making myself clear.  It's not that I am sure that Smith is going to be a total bust, I think the kid has a live arm, and at times makes great throws.  I just think being on the field right now is detrimental both for his career, and the Jets  future.

What ever.  If he drops another turd on Sunday, they'll start booing.  Not good for a young QB.  I honestly, at this point don't know what the solution is, I just don't think it's good for anybody for him to be on the field right now. 

I'm torn on the whole, is playing him detrimental to his career thingy.  I often read from folks on the board that Mark wasnt ready and that starting to early stunted his growth.  I guess there's some validity to it but I think for the most part I believe, you either got it, or you dont and I dont necessarily think that sitting on the bench is better than seeing live bullets.  Most QB's will tell you the only way you learn is taking more snaps.  So I disagree, I think its better for everybody he's on the field.  Its better for him and I'm pretty confident its better for the Jets since your alternate option is Matt Simms and the Jets need to see if he's the future.

Archived