2014 London Games set

slowmoe57

The NFL on Thursday announced the six teams that will play in London in 2014, the first season where three regular-season games will be held in the city.

The Jacksonville Jaguars will host the Dallas Cowboys, the Atlanta Falcons will host the Detroit Lions and the Oakland Raiders will host the Miami Dolphins at Wembley Stadium next season.

"Our fans in the UK continue to demonstrate their passion for more football," commissioner Roger Goodell said in London on Thursday. "Next year for the first time we will play three regular-season games in London. We have scheduled three attractive games with four teams playing in their first International Series game. The growing enthusiasm for the NFL internationally is exciting and we look forward to continuing to respond to this interest in our game."

Although a London road trip would be a blast someday I would rather we not play there.

The NFL on Thursday announced the six teams that will play in London in 2014, the first season where three regular-season games will be held in the city.

The Jacksonville Jaguars will host the Dallas Cowboys, the Atlanta Falcons will host the Detroit Lions and the Oakland Raiders will host the Miami Dolphins at Wembley Stadium next season.

"Our fans in the UK continue to demonstrate their passion for more football," commissioner Roger Goodell said in London on Thursday. "Next year for the first time we will play three regular-season games in London. We have scheduled three attractive games with four teams playing in their first International Series game. The growing enthusiasm for the NFL internationally is exciting and we look forward to continuing to respond to this interest in our game."

Although a London road trip would be a blast someday I would rather we not play there.

Agreed.  A road game I could at least deal with though, a home game I would be furious about.  I feel like being willing to surrender a home game to play in London pretty much is equivalent to your team flatly admitting that winning football comes in a very distant second (at best) to making money.  Not to say this isn't a reality amongst NFL owners to a certain extent as it is, but it's not like teams aren't already making a sh*tload of money off of home games anyway, so they're willing to sacrifice their team for the opportunity to simply make more than that.  A team like Jacksonville who can't get people to show up to home games I can at least somewhat understand that mindset, but a team like Atlanta agreeing to do this is kind of ridiculous.

Agreed.  A road game I could at least deal with though, a home game I would be furious about.  I feel like being willing to surrender a home game to play in London pretty much is equivalent to your team flatly admitting that winning football comes in a very distant second (at best) to making money.  Not to say this isn't a reality amongst NFL owners to a certain extent as it is, but it's not like teams aren't already making a sh*tload of money off of home games anyway, so they're willing to sacrifice their team for the opportunity to simply make more than that.  A team like Jacksonville who can't get people to show up to home games I can at least somewhat understand that mindset, but a team like Atlanta agreeing to do this is kind of ridiculous.

If anything it's not the owners deciding this, it's the players. The owners don't care about money, it's about the sport and us fans, their friends. The players are probably trying to get a raise by saying they will even play foozball in other, lesser countries. Hopefully our friends, the owners, fight back and win. 

Iunno wtf that was for. 

In the short run the "home teams" are at a disadvantage, but in the long term it's good for the health of the league.  Growing the fan base.

Hockey became real big in Eastern Europe, though the NHL hasn't expanded outside North America yet.  Why not football in England and Western Europe?

As i clicked on the PFT link i nervously held my breath hoping it wasnt us. 

But like you said it would be a good roadtrip to do (and one I would have to do no matter what), but id rather stay home. 

Funny you should say that. We r going to London and Paris next year and I was hoping we WOULD be playing there next season. Now I will have to plan it on their bye week.

Are the teams forced to play in England?

It is more money for the league in general, the whole expansion thing, but for the teams involved IDK.

The real thing that makes money for teams in the NFL is winning.   This continental traveling really seems to put teams at a disadvantage.  As it is, they complain about WC trips let along trips to Europe  

LOL.   PC people are going crazy about some drunken fool, jabbing a drunken bimbo.  Wait till the video's of a gang of soccer hooligans, converted to the violent sport of "American football" arises.   This is  going to happen.  That alone makes the trip worth while :)  

The Jets would probably be one of the last teams to have to HOST a London game because we have a brand new stadium.  The teams that are primarily being sent to London and hosting games are ones that are currently having issues with their cities about building a new stadium, and thus those cities are punished by only getting 7 home games.

The Cowboys are going to London in 2014 but as a road team.  The Lions, with relatively new Ford Field, are a road team as well.  Not sure if the Falcons have stadium issues but the Jaguars and Raiders certainly do.

Archived