Jets' Players Want Rex Extended

flgreen

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, conjecture based on really nothing.

Conjecture based on performance and the hand Rex was dealt for the 2013 season.  At this moment in time, Rex is closer to extension than firing.  Fact.

What else are we supposed to base analysis of the 2013 football season on?

People don't look at statistics part way through a season to understand trends?

FACT- Based on this article, through 7 weeks, there was an historical high in 'close" games defined as within 7 points in the 4th quarter.

I think this in some way supports that there is parity in the league.

Cool.  So what does this have to do with Rex Ryan's chances of getting his contract extended?

Idzik's needle. He's been close to the vest about it, but there's no way he's leaning more towards firing Rex than extending him at this point. All of Idzik's offseason moves were made with an eye towards 2014, not 2013. Yet we just took 2 out of the last 3 with wins over the Pats and Saints and are set up for a playoff run. His one quote on the subject, that Rex has "Held things together well", is true. He's taken a team with a lot of shifting parts and injuries and a raw rookie QB and has them 5-4 after a pretty brutal first half schedule.

If you think firing Rex is on Idzik's mind right now, you're insane. Now, if the Jets fall apart in the 2nd half, Idzik will justifiably have every reason to get rid of him. But I don't think that will be the case. There's a handful of wins to be had on this remaining schedule, and we're currently sitting in 6th place in the AFC.

Unless you work for the NSA, you're talking out of your ass.

With that defense, a Qb who doesnt make mistakes, and Jamal Charles?  Maybe not undefeated but considering who they've played...I wouldnt be shocked if it was 1 or 2 loss team.  

In addition to playing the easiest schedule in the NFL, they've also had some very lucky breaks this season: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jeff Tuel, Jason Campbell, Case Keenum all backups the Chiefs faced.  Besides, facing Terrell Pryor and Blaine Gabbert too.

Wow, I have heard about their easy schedule but that list of QBs says so much more.  Great, there is always a team that starts off red hot that misses the playoffs, this may be that 2013 team.

What else are we supposed to base analysis of the 2013 football season on?

People don't look at statistics part way through a season to understand trends?

FACT- Based on this article, through 7 weeks, there was an historical high in 'close" games defined as within 7 points in the 4th quarter.

I think this in some way supports that there is parity in the league.

OPINION - looking at a 7-week snapshot is significant.

There is parity in the league.  There has been for some time.  There have been bad teams with good records and good teams with mediocre records.  We have had multiple superbowl teams who had 9-7 records.  

OPINION - looking at a 7-week snapshot is significant.

There is parity in the league.  There has been for some time.  There have been bad teams with good records and good teams with mediocre records.  We have had multiple superbowl teams who had 9-7 records.  

OPINION- Parity this year is greater than any other time.

Supporting evidence-There are more close games in the 4th quarter than any time in history.

We will see if this trend continues

Wow, I have heard about their easy schedule but that list of QBs says so much more.  Great, there is always a team that starts off red hot that misses the playoffs, this may be that 2013 team.

No way they miss the playoffs at this point, but an early playoff exit is very possible.  They need to win that division so they can get a home game or 2 at Arrowhead.  Otherwise they're sunk.  They're not beating the Pats, Bengals, Colts or Broncos on the road.  Not a chance.

OPINION- Parity this year is greater than any other time.

Supporting evidence-There are more close games in the 4th quarter than any time in history.

We will see if this trend continues

The supporting evidence isn't really supporting evidence.  You are using a 7-game sample and comparing it against 17-game seasons.  Can you show that every full season finished with the same "close game" ratio that it had after 7 games?  Of course you cannot.

2000 Ravens the first 9 games the "average" victory (PF-PA) was under 5 points (and were coming off 3 straight losses)

2000 Ravens the remaining 11 games (including the SB) it was 18 points (and were undefeated)

Was the first 9 games a "trend" - was there more "parity" with them and their opponents, or were we just looking at a small sample?  Are the Chiefs actually the best team in the NFL or are they just a pretty good team that has avoided injuries, and whose opponents have been a combination of mostly garbage plus some inconsistent/under-performing teams?

Over small samples, temporary injuries can have major impacts and seem bigger than when looking at the year-end final product.  

Such a small sample size (7 weeks, with 1/3 of the teams having played only 6 games).  So no, I don't believe that over such a small stretch constitutes a "trend" at all.  Unless you can demonstrate that every year the "trend" for the first 7 weeks has continued unchanged for the full 17 weeks.  Barring anyone showing me that, I will continue to believe what IS fact: this is a small sample that may be indicative of nothing.

The supporting evidence isn't really supporting evidence.  You are using a 7-game sample and comparing it against 17-game seasons.  Can you show that every full season finished with the same "close game" ratio that it had after 7 games?  Of course you cannot.

2000 Ravens the first 9 games the "average" victory (PF-PA) was under 5 points (and were coming off 3 straight losses)

2000 Ravens the remaining 11 games (including the SB) it was 18 points (and were undefeated)

Was the first 9 games a "trend" - was there more "parity" with them and their opponents, or were we just looking at a small sample?  Are the Chiefs actually the best team in the NFL or are they just a pretty good team that has avoided injuries, and whose opponents have been a combination of mostly garbage plus some inconsistent/under-performing teams?

Over small samples, temporary injuries can have major impacts and seem bigger than when looking at the year-end final product.  

Such a small sample size (7 weeks, with 1/3 of the teams having played only 6 games).  So no, I don't believe that over such a small stretch constitutes a "trend" at all.  Unless you can demonstrate that every year the "trend" for the first 7 weeks has continued unchanged for the full 17 weeks.  Barring anyone showing me that, I will continue to believe what IS fact: this is a small sample that may be indicative of nothing.

Well sh*t then, 5-4 is such a small sample, we have nothing to evaluate Rex on then.

Might as well shut this site down until week 14 , because observations on samples sizes are meaningless.

Well sh*t then, 5-4 is such a small sample, we have nothing to evaluate Rex on then.

Might as well shut this site down until week 14 , because observations on samples sizes are meaningless.

Seriously? You don't see a difference between an individual team's performance and the circumstances surrounding a limited # of matchups (which weren't delved into in any detail) indicating a league-wide trend?

You can have an observation on a game or a series or even a play.  They do not automatically mean there is a trend.

I sense you know this and are just being difficult.

Two conversations in this thread:

1. Parity is no factor in the Jets' success.

2. Parity is the only reason the Chiefs are 9-0

#JetsFans

Pretty sure I saw a list of QBs the Chiefs have faced that didn't include Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, or Drew Brees.

Seriously? You don't see a difference between an individual team's performance and the circumstances surrounding a limited # of matchups (which weren't delved into in any detail) indicating a league-wide trend?

You can have an observation on a game or a series or even a play.  They do not automatically mean there is a trend.

I sense you know this and are just being difficult.

Through week 7 there were 213 games played which represents roughly 42% of an NFL season.

I would say that is a sample size where you can start making comparisons.

Heck, you started into this conversation  about "point spreads"-Sounds like it is you being difficlut

So they're 9*-0*?

After 4 games in 2010, Mark Sanchez had 8 TDs and 0 INTs. How on earth did he not win the NFL MVP?

Skip to later on that same season: the team started out 9-2.  We won the division, didn't we?

I give them tons of credit.  If it was so easy they wouldn't be the only ones at 9-0.  But 2 of their next 3 games are against Denver.  If they SPLIT those games I'll be impressed (seriously) because it will probably mean they shut down Denver's offense.  I know they're not winning any shootouts against Denver.

Through week 7 there were 213 games played which represents roughly 42% of an NFL season.

I would say that is a sample size where you can start making comparisons.

Heck, you started into this conversation  about "point spreads"-Sounds like it is you being difficlut

Ah, the "I know you are but what am I" defense.  Always a devastating one.

You are the one who linked to the article, not me.

After 4 games in 2010, Mark Sanchez had 8 TDs and 0 INTs. How on earth did he not win the NFL MVP?

My sample size has 213 games. You won't even allow that in the conversation.

yet you took about a player with 4 games and team through 8 games. 

Very different control subjects.

I will now caution you on every stat that you state, up until about week 17.

My sample size has 213 games. You won't even allow that in the conversation.

yet you took about a player with 4 games and team through 8 games. 

Very different control subjects.

I will now caution you on every stat that you state, up until about week 17.

If I suggest that it is indicative of a league-wide trend - a "new normal" that is only beginning right now - fire away.

If I suggest that it is indicative of a league-wide trend - a "new normal" that is only beginning right now - fire away.

Well, I actually gave supporting evidence (if it holds up against the Spermy full year test) to parity, or at least league narrowing of talent.

You gave opinion. 

What else can I do?

Skip to later on that same season: the team started out 9-2. We won the division, didn't we?

I give them tons of credit. If it was so easy they wouldn't be the only ones at 9-0. But 2 of their next 3 games are against Denver. If they SPLIT those games I'll be impressed (seriously) because it will probably mean they shut down Denver's offense. I know they're not winning any shootouts against Denver.

I'm not arguing for or against the validity of the Chiefs accomplishment. I just found it amusing that you and Scott are having the parity argument while JetsFan80 is diminishing the Chiefs in the background.

BTW, you guys who would give Rex an extension are also arguing that Ron Rivera should get an extension.

It's early still, but starting to look as if Rivera, like Rex, may deserve an extension.  The Panthers are playing very well right now.  It will be interesting to see how things go with both teams the rest of the season and what the owners/GMs decide to do in each situation.

Archived