Salary Cap Calculator

jason423

Hey folks. I know I dont get a chance to post often anymore but we just rolled out a new salary cap calculator that I figured some of you (Sperm especially) might be interested in. Im sure there are some tweaks needed along the way but it should give you a chance to quickly play fantasy GM for the Jets during the year and in the offseason as we navigate the cap to improve on what we all hope is a playoff season. Thanks as always for all the support!

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Jets

Before I start to tinker, I'm guessing it'll assume cuts occurred on the day before the season begins? (Bypasses any roster bonuses, and assumes the full hit accelerates fully to that upcoming season?)

Pretty much so. You can designate a player a June 1 cut to spread hit over two seasons, but yeah in general this will reflect cuts made before any bonuses are earned. 

Looks like we're going to have anywhere from 42-50 million in cap space, but a chunk of that will certainly be eaten up by signing Wilk long-term and singing our own free agents. I don't want to get involved with guessing contracts, I'll leave that up to Jason.

Seems like this is our free agent list:

Nick Folk - definitely want back

Calvin Pace - wouldn't mind back in a backup role, def need to draft his replacement

Willie Colon - definitely want back (need to draft replacement in case campbell doesn't pan out)

Lex Hilliard

Austin Howard - definitely want back

Josh Muaga

Jeff Cumberland - would like back

Vlad Ducasse

Ellis Lankster - would like back

Aaron Berry - would like back depending on knee 

Nick Bellore

Garret McIntyre

Darrin Walls - definiely want back

Isaiah Trufant - would like back

Ricky Sapp

Konrad Reuland

Vidal Hazelton

Matt Simms - definitely want back

John Griffin

Only bad thing is there is not really any good free agents this year in the areas we need

What else do you expect from the Jets?  When there's no can't miss great players, we pick in the top 5 if not #1, when there are franchise QBs, pass rushers, and other great players at positions of need, we always wind up drafting in the bottom third-to-half of the round so we miss out on all of them.  Only the frigging Jets.

Looks like we're going to have anywhere from 42-50 million in cap space, but a chunk of that will certainly be eaten up by signing Wilk long-term and singing our own free agents. I don't want to get involved with guessing contracts, I'll leave that up to Jason.

Calvin Pace - wouldn't mind back in a backup role, def need to draft his replacement

Willie Colon - definitely want back (need to draft replacement in case campbell doesn't pan out)

Lex Hilliard

Josh Muaga

Vlad Ducasse

Nick Bellore

Garret McIntyre

Ricky Sapp

Konrad Reuland

Vidal Hazelton

John Griffin

Lex Hilliard

Josh Muaga

Vlad Ducasse

Nick Bellore

Garret McIntyre

Ricky Sapp

Konrad Reuland

Vidal Hazelton

John Griffin

Pretty much agree, but definitely want Cumberland back.  Bellore is one of our best STs players, but not likely to ever see the field on D unless a player or two get injured.  We probably need to keep both McIntyre and Bellore.  The good news is that they shouldn't cost much.

What else do you expect from the Jets? When there's no can't miss great players, we pick in the top 5 if not #1, when there are franchise QBs, pass rushers, and other great players at positions of need, we always wind up drafting in the bottom third-to-half of the round so we miss out on all of them. Only the frigging Jets.

except we did when we had the #1 pick. Keyshawn was can't-miss and the next year we'd have had Peyton Manning throwing to him and Chrebet for a decade if not for Parcells.

There were great players when we picked #4 in 2006. We took an offensive tackle.

2008's draft I agree with you on. But even then we could have had Matt Ryan if Tannenbaum wasn't saving our picks for Gholston and Sanchez.

We are products of poor decisions not poor luck. Just like all of us who are too young to have seen SBIII. If we had any brains whatsoever we'd have been Giants fans.

Only bad thing is there is not really any good free agents this year in the areas we need

MJD and Tate at RB, Boldin, Britt, Cotchery, Edelman and Nicks at WR, Finley, Olsen and Keller at TE, Byrd at FS. Just throwing out some names to look at, not suggesting we sign any particular one in that group but it gives ya some names to look at. I'd be bringing in a ton of offensive skill position players. We should have enough money and picks to have 5 WR's and 3 TE's with none of them being nobodies.

Hey folks. I know I dont get a chance to post often anymore but we just rolled out a new salary cap calculator that I figured some of you (Sperm especially) might be interested in. Im sure there are some tweaks needed along the way but it should give you a chance to quickly play fantasy GM for the Jets during the year and in the offseason as we navigate the cap to improve on what we all hope is a playoff season. Thanks as always for all the support!

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Jets

Jason - this is awesome.  

I am going to send this out on the front page, Twitter and Facebook.  Jets fans need to see this!  Great job.

MJD and Tate at RB, Boldin, Britt, Cotchery, Edelman and Nicks at WR, Finley, Olsen and Keller at TE, Byrd at FS. Just throwing out some names to look at, not suggesting we sign any particular one in that group but it gives ya some names to look at. I'd be bringing in a ton of offensive skill position players. We should have enough money and picks to have 5 WR's and 3 TE's with none of them being nobodies.

There's not too much to really like on that list at the skill positions though: the only names that seem to stick out for me would probably be Maclin (if healthy), Olsen and Golden Tate. I find it tough to see Olsen leaving Carolina and Seattle letting tate go, but he's certainly someone I wouldn't mind targeting as I think his best football is yet to be played. Other than that, I don't particularly see that many names to really go after, maybe manningham.

except we did when we had the #1 pick. Keyshawn was can't-miss and the next year we'd have had Peyton Manning throwing to him and Chrebet for a decade if not for Parcells.

There were great players when we picked #4 in 2006. We took an offensive tackle.

2008's draft I agree with you on. But even then we could have had Matt Ryan if Tannenbaum wasn't saving our picks for Gholston and Sanchez.

We are products of poor decisions not poor luck. Just like all of us who are too young to have seen SBIII. If we had any brains whatsoever we'd have been Giants fans.

Basically, I was speaking historically moreso than recently, but your point stands.  I agree that we are more a product of poor decisions and poor management, and idiot GMs who traded away draft picks constantly (Tanny).  It's karma. To a large extent, the team created its own bad luck.  Still, with a little luck, we could have had Peyton and some other really good/great players over the years.  Just this year, the Rams traded ahead of us and took Tavon Austin.  That wasn't due to poor drafting on our part or any mistake.  The Rams just traded up and took him before we could.

I never liked nor wanted Keyshawn.  He was a big-mouthed possession WR, not a true #1 imo.

We didn't get Peyton Manning, be it because of Parcells or because Peyton decided he wanted to stay in college for another year.

I am old enough to have seen SBIII.  I was 14 and cherished every minute of it.

Basically, I was speaking historically moreso than recently, but your point stands.  I agree that we are more a product of poor decisions and poor management, and idiot GMs who traded away draft picks constantly (Tanny).  It's karma. To a large extent, the team created its own bad luck.  Still, with a little luck, we could have had Peyton and some other really good/great players over the years.  Just this year, the Rams traded ahead of us and took Tavon Austin.  That wasn't due to poor drafting on our part or any mistake.  The Rams just traded up and took him before we could.

I never liked nor wanted Keyshawn.  He was a big-mouthed possession WR, not a true #1 imo.

We didn't get Peyton Manning, be it because of Parcells or because Peyton decided he wanted to stay in college for another year.

I am old enough to have seen SBIII.  I was 14 and cherished every minute of it.

Keyshawn was a loudmouth and all that, and you may not have liked him but he was absolutely a true, #1, go-to WR.  Maybe I just measure it differently.  I look at a #1 as a guy who is your go-to guy who doesn't drop the ball, who can jump up and go get it on poorer throws, and who, if he's in single-coverage, is wide open.  

Peyton decided to stay in school for another year because of where he might have ended up.  If Tuna told Archie he was drafting Peyton #1 then he'd have come out.  Parcells felt we needed more than just 1 player and wanted to keep trading down (and getting historically awful value for those trades as team after team swindled him).  Also he wanted to play the part of instant-savior and historically the chances of that are low when you're breaking in a rookie QB.

It's all just opinion, but I don't get how you think Keyshawn wasn't a #1 WR but 5'8"/170-lb Tavon Austin is.  (You don't draft a WR #8 in the country if you don't think he's a true #1).

And go f*ck yourself that you got to see SBIII live and were old enough to have appreciated it.  Seriously.  F*ck you.  My great Jets season memories were a handful of AFCCG losses, all really bad ones from Freeman getting stuck in the mud + Richard Toddchez throwing a dozen picks, to Curtis Martin doing his invisibility act (and fumbling, along with our other butterfingers players), to Sanchez being a useless sack of sh*t.  And I'm pretty sure I'll die before they ever get back to the SB.  But they'll show some promise.  Oh yes they'll show that promise.  My father's a lifelong Giants fan so I must have been born with brain damage.  Hits every 3rd generation in my family.

Waaah?

Jairus Byrd? Jimmy Graham? Orakpo? THE Greg Hardy? The enigmatic but talented Golden Tate? Jeremy Maclin? Hakeem Nicks? Brandon Pettigrew? Ted Burns? Lyle Chipperson? Penny Hardaway? Ishiro Honda? 

Peyton decided to stay in school for another year because of where he might have ended up. If Tuna told Archie he was drafting Peyton #1 then he'd have come out. Parcells felt we needed more than just 1 player and wanted to keep trading down (and getting historically awful value for those trades as team after team swindled him). Also he wanted to play the part of instant-savior and historically the chances of that are low when you're breaking in a rookie QB.

You're talking about the same horrid GM that drafted Drew Bledsoe first overall. The Parcells-cost-us-Peyton myth is perpetuated by butthurt Jets fans that have the emotional stability of teen girls that just got dumped at the prom. Peyton Manning has debunked it. Archie has debunked it. Parcells has debunked it. It has as much basis in reality as Joe Namath making a deal with Satan to get the Jets one Super Bowl.

You're talking about the same horrid GM that drafted Drew Bledsoe first overall. The Parcells-cost-us-Peyton myth is perpetuated by butthurt Jets fans that have the emotional stability of teen girls that just got dumped at the prom. Peyton Manning has debunked it. Archie has debunked it. Parcells has debunked it. It has as much basis in reality as Joe Namath making a deal with Satan to get the Jets one Super Bowl.

They "debunked it" after the fact as a PR move.  It is not a myth.

This was what Manning said at the time, not after the fact:  

"I had been pretty intent on staying until I found out that Bill Parcells would be coach of the New York Jets. I have a lot of respect for him," he said.

Then Parcells said we needed more than just 1 player and Tuna would have let Peyton go to whoever the highest bidder was so he stayed in Tennessee.

Parcells felt we needed more than just 1 player and wanted to keep trading down (and getting historically awful value for those trades as team after team swindled him).  Also he wanted to play the part of instant-savior and historically the chances of that are low when you're breaking in a rookie QB.

Parcells WAS brought in to be "instant savior". Hess wanted to win "now", and that was the instructions you can be sure he gave Parcells.

You don't bring in Parcells to "build" a squad, you bring him in for the hope of  catching lightning. 

They "debunked it" after the fact as a PR move. It is not a myth.

This was what Manning said at the time, not after the fact:

"I had been pretty intent on staying until I found out that Bill Parcells would be coach of the New York Jets. I have a lot of respect for him," he said.

Then Parcells said we needed more than just 1 player and Tuna would have let Peyton go to whoever the highest bidder was so he stayed in Tennessee.

Your evidence is Peyton Mannjng saying he wants to stay at Tennessee, but the thought of playing for Parcells is really intriguing. Bonehead.

I'm more apt to believe this one. Truth be told, I've operated under the assumption that it is fact this entire time.

So what you're saying is that it's 100% based in fact?

There's not too much to really like on that list at the skill positions though: the only names that seem to stick out for me would probably be Maclin (if healthy), Olsen and Golden Tate. I find it tough to see Olsen leaving Carolina and Seattle letting tate go, but he's certainly someone I wouldn't mind targeting as I think his best football is yet to be played. Other than that, I don't particularly see that many names to really go after, maybe manningham.

Spread the money around?

Maurice Jones-Drew

Hakeem Nicks

Jermichael Finley

Julian Edelman

Dustin Keller

re-sign Cumberland

WR: Nicks, Hill, Kerley, Edelman, Nelson/Gates/whatever

TE: Finley, Keller, Cumberland

RB: MJD, Ivory, Powell

Not including draft picks.

Spread the money around?

Maurice Jones-Drew - averaging only 3.0 yards a carry, he's toast. 

Hakeem Nicks -  Lost a step, unreilable, is going to want big contract.

Jermichael Finley - probably going to retire after that nasty injury

Julian Edelman - personally, I don't think he's anything better than guys on our roster, he just has Tom Brady throwing him the ball.

Dustin Keller - I'd pass. He shredded his knee and I never thought he offered much more than Cumberland or some other lower tier TEs

re-sign Cumberland -  I like this move. Hasn't done enough to demand a big contract, still seems like he's got his best football ahead of him.

WR: Nicks, Hill, Kerley, Edelman, Nelson/Gates/whatever

TE: Finley, Keller, Cumberland

RB: MJD, Ivory, Powell

Not including draft picks.

Just because we have money, doesn't necessarily mean that we have to spend it. You have to bear in mind a lot of our core guys will have their contracts expiring in the next couple of years, so you have to leave some sort of flexibility to sign those guys. The only names in free agency that really intrigue me would be Denario Alexander, Jeremy Maclin and Golden Tate at WR, Greg Olson at TE and possibly Jarius Byrd at FS. Outside of that, there's no real skill position players that I'd want to spend any real money on and I wouldn't be surprised to see Idzik be less aggressive than many on here are expecting. He seems as though he has a plan and I would imagine just signing big names to sign them isn't one, I suspect he'll be doing his work via the draft.

Just because we have money, doesn't necessarily mean that we have to spend it.

Of course not.

You have to bear in mind a lot of our core guys will have their contracts expiring in the next couple of years, so you have to leave some sort of flexibility to sign those guys.

Who? The list I'm looking at over at JetsCap isn't complete, but I don't see who you could be talking about there. There's no core player due up next year.... none. 2015, I'm just seeing Cro, Kerley and Harris. Even if you re-sign Cro and Harris, they probably won't make more than they do now. Kerley might have a decent payday but no big deal, really. Fully expect Wilkerson to get done this off-season. Other than that, not much to worry about. It's not like that time we had Ferguson, Mangold, Harris and I believe Revis due up in the same year.

Archived