Did the Patriots throw the 1985-86 (insert correct roman numeral) Super Bowl?

Jetsfan80

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9893855/brian-holloway-house

Playing to the left of Hall of Fame guard John Hannah, Holloway helped establish a New England running game that peaked in the 1985 season when the Patriots made it to the Super Bowl to play the Chicago Bears, a game Holloway claims New England lost, at least in part, because the team's passing offense had been installed by Michael Jackson.1

1.  Before you get too carried away with mental images of Michael Jackson playing Ten Yard Fight in the owner's box and signaling passing plays down to Tony Eason via Bubbles, consider the following: The Sullivan family, the owners of the Patriots of the time, cut a bad deal and lost a fortune on the Jackson's Victory Tour, which precipitated the sale of the team. Holloway believes the Sullivan family had been forced to put the team up as collateral to Jackson, who took over as owner right before the Super Bowl. During Super Bowl week, Holloway claims that the coaches came to the players and told them that they were going to play right into the Bears' strength and throw the ball the entire game. If you check the game's play-by-play, the Patriots did pass the ball on six of their first seven plays, resulting in zero completions, two sacks, and a lost fumble. Holloway claims that nobody in the locker room understood the move and suspicions kicked up immediately after the game. Later, Holloway says that he was approached by storied Boston sportswriter Will McDonough, who reported that Michael Jackson had wagered a lot of money on the game and had requested the passing attack as a way to ensure that his Patriots wouldn't cover the spread.

The prevailing thought was, the 1985 Bears 46 Defense could be best moved on with a short, efficient passing game. 

I remember when the Jets were preparing for the Bears in week 12 (or so), there were pundits that the Jets would be the first team to beat the Bears, because of Kenny OBrien and the pass game (seriously). Of  course, the Jets got mauled

Who beat the Bears? The Dolphins of course with a quick strike passing game with Marino.

To say that passing against the Bears was a bad strategy, is absolutely false. Now, to have Tony Eason pulling the trigger is a whole other thing. But you had to pass to try and beat the Beras. There was no other way.

Most ridiculous article I ever read.

The prevailing thought was, the 1985 Bears 46 Defense could be best moved on with a short, efficient passing game. 

I remember when the Jets were preparing for the Bears in week 12 (or so), there were pundits that the Jets would be the first team to beat the Bears, because of Kenny OBrien and the pass game (seriously). Of  course, the Jets got mauled

Who beat the Bears? The Dolphins of course with a quick strike passing game with Marino.

To say that passing against the Bears was a bad strategy, is absolutely false. Now, to have Tony Eason pulling the trigger is a whole other thing. But you had to pass to try and beat the Beras. There was no other way.

If you look at the box scores from the Pats first three playoff games that year they were heavily run oriented.

Wildcard Game at Jets           39 rushes for 99 yards, 12 for 16 passing for 179

AFC Divisonal vs Raiders      49 rushes for 156 yards 8 for 15 passing for 125 yards

AFC Championshp vs Miami  59 rushes for 255 yards 10 of 12 passing for 71 yards

Then you get to the Super Bowl vs Bears

11 rushes for 7 yards   17 for 36 passing for 177 yards.

Now the Pats got way behinds early in that game so I would think that the gameplan was pretty much out the windows by midway through the second qtr but it does look like the Pats got completely away from what got them there in the first place.

19-6 final score. Mauled? Hardly.  Jets were one of a very few teams that actually belonged on the field with that Bears team.

Klecko did not play and I think they had like 4 sacks anyway and were in the game till very late. 

If you look at the box scores from the Pats first three playoff games that year they were heavily run oriented.

Wildcard Game at Jets           39 rushes for 99 yards, 12 for 16 passing for 179

AFC Divisonal vs Raiders      49 rushes for 156 yards 8 for 15 passing for 125 yards

AFC Championshp vs Miami  59 rushes for 255 yards 10 of 12 passing for 71 yards

Then you get to the Super Bowl vs Bears

11 rushes for 7 yards   17 for 36 passing for 177 yards.

Now the Pats got way behinds early in that game so I would think that the gameplan was pretty much out the windows by midway through the second qtr but it does look like the Pats got completely away from what got them there in the first place.

You were not going to beat the Bears running the ball. That was conventional wisdom. That the Pats came out throwing was not outrageous in terms of game planning

19-6 final score. Mauled? Hardly.  Jets were one of a very few teams that actually belonged on the field with that Bears team.

Klecko did not play and I think they had like 4 sacks anyway and were in the game till very late. 

My memory is hazy-those were college years. It sure felt like they got mauled.

As I look up stats, the Jets had only 159 yards total offense.

jets fans can't complain, bubba smith still thinks morrall threw SB III

and namath was investigated for hanging out with bookies and then throwin 6 picks 

but who cares, I was a college freshman and because of the safety before the half I won 3 out of 4 boxes in the pool (2 boxes hit !) and had food money for a month, lol

Archived