Some food for thought....Cardinals bring in a passing guru- defense is still good

Matt39

Carson Palmer's career somewhat revived. Two good receivers, playmaking back in Ellington...and obviously the defense is as good as there is in football. Arians could win coach of the year two years in a row.

I think the pieces for the most part are here for the Jets defense...losing Wilkerson or Richardson would be a bigger hit than losing Rex.

I think we all need to start overcoming that fear. This team needs a change at this point(and I've gone back and forth). A new face leading this team that has an offense backround wont negate anything on this defense. Our defense is more about talent than scheme now. As opposed to  2009, when Rex's blitzes were still fresh.

Carson Palmer's career somewhat revived. Two good receivers, playmaking back in Ellington...and obviously the defense is as good as there is in football. Arians could win coach of the year two years in a row.

I think the pieces for the most part are here for the Jets defense...losing Wilkerson or Richardson would be a bigger hit than losing Rex.

I think we all need to start overcoming that fear. This team needs a change at this point(and I've gone back and forth). A new face leading this team that has an offense backround wont negate anything on this defense. Our defense is more about talent than scheme now. As opposed to  2009, when Rex's blitzes were still fresh.

I agree and I would like to see a different style of defense in here as well.

Fitzgerald is a HOF WR who has been stuck having terrible terrible QBs.      Palmer has his issues, even this year, but the Cardinals have been playing well lately.   

But anybody who joins the Jets has one huge issue.   Who is their Carson Palmer?  And who is their Fitzgerald?       Forget about Rivers, he's not leaving San diego.  

Maybe Jay Cutler.  But if you're a QB,  and these days half the NFL needs a QB,  who would sign with a team with no weapons?   The Jets have no weapons and it's not like there are a ton of HOF WRs coming available.    So maybe they draft some players, but they'd sign Cutler long before that.    I'm not sold on Cutler because he is a guy who can have a 4 TD game followed by a 4 INT game, and he is a mental case.  He couldn't handle it in Denver and he can't handle it in Chicago.  Imagine him with the NY Media. Especially on a team with no WRs.   I mean the Bears have Brandon Marshall.  

If you are a half decent QB, like a Rivers or Cutler,  who would you sign with?  The Texans might have the top pick and have weapons on offense.   Jacksonville sucks, but they still have a few under performing weapons.  If Tampa still wants a QB, they have some weapons on offense.   The list goes on.   The Jets might have the money, but if you're a QB,  you probably go to a team who has some weapons, not a team who is rebuilding or trying to figure out how to build an offense.   

Fitzgerald is a HOF WR who has been stuck having terrible terrible QBs.      Palmer has his issues, even this year, but the Cardinals have been playing well lately.   

But anybody who joins the Jets has one huge issue.   Who is their Carson Palmer?  And who is their Fitzgerald?       Forget about Rivers, he's not leaving San diego.  

Maybe Jay Cutler.  But if you're a QB,  and these days half the NFL needs a QB,  who would sign with a team with no weapons?   The Jets have no weapons and it's not like there are a ton of HOF WRs coming available.    So maybe they draft some players, but they'd sign Cutler long before that.    I'm not sold on Cutler because he is a guy who can have a 4 TD game followed by a 4 INT game, and he is a mental case.  He couldn't handle it in Denver and he can't handle it in Chicago.  Imagine him with the NY Media. Especially on a team with no WRs.   I mean the Bears have Brandon Marshall.  

If you are a half decent QB, like a Rivers or Cutler,  who would you sign with?  The Texans might have the top pick and have weapons on offense.   Jacksonville sucks, but they still have a few under performing weapons.  If Tampa still wants a QB, they have some weapons on offense.   The list goes on.   The Jets might have the money, but if you're a QB,  you probably go to a team who has some weapons, not a team who is rebuilding or trying to figure out how to build an offense.   

Jets should pursue secondary via free agency this offseason and go offense heavy, if not all offense in April.

I'd look to possibly deal some guys you'd think were off limits too(most notably Nick Mangold).

I agree totally,..the Ryan twins have somehow convinced a lot of fans and media they're the only two people in the NFL that can coach defense...it's still about having players,..the OP mentioned Arizona which is a great example,..somehow Seattle has managed to field a big,vicious, intimidating, winning Defense without a Ryan twin also.

Jets should pursue secondary via free agency this offseason and go offense heavy, if not all offense in April.

I'd look to possibly deal some guys you'd think were off limits too(most notably Nick Mangold).

Yea I was reading Jasons recap on his website and he mentioned the Mangold thing,.at first I laughed but it actually makes some sense.

I agree totally,..the Ryan twins have somehow convinced a lot of fans and media they're the only two people in the NFL that can coach defense...it's still about having players,..the OP mentioned Arizona which is a great example,..somehow Seattle has managed to field a big,vicious, intimidating, winning Defense without a Ryan twin also.

Buddy convinced them, Rex and Rob just prove it right 51% of the time.

Yea I was reading Jasons recap on his website and he mentioned the Mangold thing,.at first I laughed but it actually makes some sense.

Did Jason bring that up? Ninja'd. lol.

However Mangold's play coincidentally falling off since he's buddy doesnt play anymore. He's never been much of a leader here either.

it's Rex holding them back from drafting Larry Fitzgerald and signing Carson Palmer. Because he ignores the offense.

Please don't think I'm comparing him to Larry F because im not but there was a lot of talk the Rams only traded up to grab Austin because that child Rex couldn't control himself and told Austin we were taking him, who then tweeted it, now obviously we 'll never know the truth but it's certainly believable

We certainly have the pieces to transition into any defensive scheme should we lose Rex Ryan.  However, I see this team's biggest need being the lack of offensive weapons.  Until we have players that can "make plays", we will struggle to be competitive week-in and week-out.  That has more to do with our player personnel than our coaching.  Besides, Rex winning three more games earns an extension IMO. 

We cannot ignore one side of the ball.  Our back end of the defense is atrocious.  We need a another safety and still have not found the edge rusher we so desperately need.  That's the areas Rex needs to address in the draft.  Cannot have a top-rated unit without committing the resources.  The offense just needs to wait until we get the defense right.  

I love what Rex did when he came in, he changed up the tone of the franchise in a much needed way following Mangini. That said, the offense being where it is in year 5 of his regime is a direct hit on him. Ignoring that fact and making excuses for that is to not call him a HC, which he seems not to be. The reality is that the defense is good, but it's not great. The offense sucks. Rex is a good enough overall HC that in getting rid of him, you risk bringing in someone worse, we all know there are far worse HC's in the league. That is a risk we have to take though if we want to develop a modern day offense and win a SB someday.

I love what Rex did when he came in, he changed up the tone of the franchise in a much needed way following Mangini. That said, the offense being where it is in year 5 of his regime is a direct hit on him. Ignoring that fact and making excuses for that is to not call him a HC, which he seems not to be. The reality is that the defense is good, but it's not great. The offense sucks. Rex is a good enough overall HC that in getting rid of him, you risk bringing in someone worse, we all know there are far worse HC's in the league. That is a risk we have to take though if we want to develop a modern day offense and win a SB someday.

This is a fair assessment.  The ceiling may be higher with this team with someone else, even if the floor is higher with Rex than most HC's.  With Rex we'll never go worse than 6-10 but winning the Super Bowl is the goal and if Idzik thinks he has someone better in mind, I won't be upset. 

It'll be a shame if NOT tanking this year costs us a chance at a franchise QB.  Being at 5-4 and thinking playoffs was fun, but the last 2 weeks have sapped a lot of my joy.  Beating Brady and Brees was reminiscent of our 2010 playoff run but we cannot ignore the fact that, in Net Points, only the Jaguars are worse than us right now.

This is a fair assessment.  The ceiling may be higher with this team with someone else, even if the floor is higher with Rex than most HC's.  With Rex we'll never go worse than 6-10 but winning the Super Bowl is the goal and if Idzik thinks he has someone better in mind, I won't be upset. 

It'll be a shame if NOT tanking this year costs us a chance at a franchise QB.  Being at 5-4 and thinking playoffs was fun, but the last 2 weeks have sapped a lot of my joy.  Beating Brady and Brees was reminiscent of our 2010 playoff run but we cannot ignore the fact that, in Net Points, only the Jaguars are worse than us right now.

Agree 100%. 

Archived