Two wizened Jets fans jump on the Bevell Train: How to fix the Jets

T0mShane

Bevell has trained under great administrative HCs. Rex, by contrast, worked for Brian Billick and his dad.

so did manginius.  you can't always watch someone do it and then do it. 

you either have that executive instinct or you don't.  when I was a headhunter, we called them "guns".   someone who just gets it and everyone can see it. 

maybe bevell is a QB guru who will come to the jets when he has 4 other offers and turns out to be a great HC who doesn't let the defense slip

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both made their names by holding the jock straps of great QBs.

"Great" coaches always have "great" players, and vice versa. They are not mutually exclusive, usually they bring the best out of each other. Each needs the other, like Yin and Yang, peanut butter and jelly, fat chicks and JIF.

Rex for example was a great defensive line coach, a great defensive coordinator, and with each stop in his career - he looked like a great coach, and his players were great.

He's not a great head coach, and not surprisingly he doesn't have players you'd consider great either.

Rodgers sat and learned from a Hall of Famer for four years. Darrel the coattail-rider.

The "sit and learn behind a great player" narrative is one of the most over-embellished, over-valued loads of crap in the NFL. Just like "rebuilding year" it's a line of crap that only naive fans gobble up.

whizzer played for the jets as well

bevell will be the hot guy, and will have 4+ interviews.  I say let him go to dallas when jones cans his lackey

I have nothing to base this upon, but my gut tells me if Rex is fired he ends up in Atlanta - facing off with his brother 2x per year. Division rivals usually have a bit of nepotism, or at least they over-value links to what their rivals are doing... we've done it for years with the Pats, and the Dolphins and Bills have taken a lot of our sloppy seconds as well. 

Did the Niners defense decline when that dumped Singletary and hired Harbaugh? If anything, a better offense will help this defense. Also, this defense isn't that great in the first place.

Will your boy Bevell get to bring Russel Wilson, Marshawn Lynch and Golden Tate with him? If so, I'm all in. If not - stupid idea. 

Remember, Norv Turner was considered an offensive genius when he coached an All-Pro team in Dallas. How did that work out in any of his head coaching stops?

Like Rex rode Marvin Lewis' coat tails to a head job.

Rex has done more with less while coaching this team. Darrel Bevell will bring back the Kotite years.

I understand why some want Rex gone. I don't understand the infatuation with Darrel. Get a real coach, not some wet behind the ears sh*tbag who piggybacked Brett Favre to stardom.

"Ken Whisenhunt (Chargers OC) would be an interesting pick. He’s not a sexy pick, and will get groans from the crowds, but he’s done a great job in San Diego this year and was the best coach the Cardinals have had in decades."

This jumped off the page. An experienced successful offense-minded NFL HC who also happened to have played here. Am I crazy to think Whisenhunt is a no brainer?

"Ken Whisenhunt (Chargers OC) would be an interesting pick. He’s not a sexy pick, and will get groans from the crowds, but he’s done a great job in San Diego this year and was the best coach the Cardinals have had in decades."

This jumped off the page. An experienced successful offense-minded NFL HC who also happened to have played here. Am I crazy to think Whisenhunt is a no brainer?

Yes.

The "sit and learn behind a great player" narrative is one of the most over-embellished, over-valued loads of crap in the NFL. Just like "rebuilding year" it's a line of crap that only naive fans gobble up.

With free agency and salary caps, you are very correct.

Not at all. If Rex goes, I want an experienced guy. Not someone learning on the job.

Whisenhunt is the best choice if they go in a new direction at head coach.

"Bill Walsh was only good because Joe Montana magically appeared on his doorstep." --You guys

I honestly don't know that that is not true. 

Of all the great coaches in NFL history, the only one who ever got it done on a championship level without a great QB was Joe Gibbs. 

Paul Brown had Otto Graham. 

Weeb Ewbank had Johnny Unitas and Joe Namath.

Don Shula had Bob Griese. (Marino doesn't count - No championships. All Marino does is to prove how overrated Shula is.)

Chuck Noll had Terry Bradshaw.

Walsh had Montana.

Jimmy Johnson had Troy Aikman. 

Belichick has Brady. 

Gibbs is literally the only guy that bucks that trend. You can get lucky and win once with an average QB and an all-time defense like Billick and Gruden did. But Gibbs won three with nothing more than Theismann (who was only slightly above average at best,) Doug Williams/Jay Shraeder, and Mark Rypien. 

He is the ONLY coach ever mentioned among the all-time greats (Warfish's hatred of him notwithstanding) that is not inextricably linked to an all-time great QB. 

I'm thinking you dudes slurping Whisenhunt would do well to have a chat with a Cardinals fan this afternoon.

I'm open-minded. Does seem once Warner retired the QB position turned into a black hole of suck. Is that on WIzz, the GM, the dumb owners? If nothing else working for a moron owner would not be a new experience.

I'm open-minded. Does seem once Warner retired the QB position turned into a black hole of suck. Is that on WIzz, the GM, the dumb owners? If nothing else working for a moron owner would not be a new experience.

Oh... so what you're saying is that when even an offensive minded coach doesn't have a great QB, it's very hard for him to win..... interesting....

I honestly don't know that that is not true.

Of all the great coaches in NFL history, the only one who ever got it done on a championship level without a great QB was Joe Gibbs.

Paul Brown had Otto Graham.

Weeb Ewbank had Johnny Unitas and Joe Namath.

Don Shula had Bob Griese. (Marino doesn't count - No championships. All Marino does is to prove how overrated Shula is.)

Chuck Noll had Terry Bradshaw.

Walsh had Montana.

Jimmy Johnson had Troy Aikman.

Belichick has Brady.

Gibbs is literally the only guy that bucks that trend. You can get lucky and win once with an average QB and an all-time defense like Billick and Gruden did. But Gibbs won three with nothing more than Theismann (who was only slightly above average at best,) Doug Williams/Jay Shraeder, and Mark Rypien.

He is the ONLY coach ever mentioned among the all-time greats (Warfish's hatred of him notwithstanding) that is not inextricably linked to an all-time great QB.

Joe Gibbs was a great coach, indeed. But if the great quarterback alone wins you rings, then Peyton Manning would have more than one. Brady would have won something in the last eight years. Joe Flacco and Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger aren't great, immortal quarterbacks. A lot more goes into coaching a team than waiting around for a ready-made great and magical quarterback to fall from the sky into your locker room.

When the Jets get rid of the citrullo, testa dura, does Woody give Idz full control of picking the new HC or dies he interfere with the selection process?

Obviously you need input from the genius that thought a drumline would make the sh*ttiness of PSLs and the crappy new stadium go away.

Math-PSL income less advertising expenses now less unsold tickets < every home game sold out, no PSL income and zero ad budget before.

F___ you forever, Woody. Hope you're reduced to buying up blocks of tickets to give away to prevent blackouts.

When the Jets get rid of the citrullo, testa dura, does Woody give Idz full control of picking the new HC or dies he interfere with the selection process?

Good question.  Beyond that, who will be the DC?  Thurman is a product of the trickle-up theory, since he wouldn't be a DC on any other team and is really the Jets' DC in title only.  Other than being Rex's sidekick as "Defensive Assistant", his entire body of work has been as a secondary coach.  So, he has to be sent packing with Rex.

Word. My #1 prerequisite for a new coach is that he can manage the QB position, because that's how you win these days.

Oh... so what you're saying is that when even an offensive minded coach doesn't have a great QB, it's very hard for him to win..... interesting....

To back up T0m, you aren't going to succeed for very long nor often if you're game plan is to hope to get a great QB falling into your lap. Further you aren't winning anything ever if you totally neglect your offense on draft day and then try to hide it's suck with "The Wildcat", the option, wishbone, full house backfields.Above all in the NFL of 2013 NOBODY is winning anything unless they can pass effectively. Fearing throwing a pass. Wreck's stock and trade, is loser Pussyball.

Archived