Coples is still coming along really well...

SenorGato

Rex Ryan would love this guy's offense.

He would and does. We've basically been running it the last 6 years, just we lack the horses that Seattle has.

I don't have all the numbers in front of me, but if I were to look it up, I would not at all be surprised to see Carolina, San Francisco, the Jets, Washington and Buffalo all be in the top 5 or so of rushing attempts and bottom five in passing attempts. There's no surprises to this, this is how teams have always developed a QB and still do; run the ball a whole lot, limit his mitakes by throwing less and try to play as good of defense as possible. No matter who's coaching the NY Jets in '09,'10 and '13, this is likely to be the exact same type of offensive philosophy that they'd run. The only difference in success is the level of QB play and the surrounding weapons. Thinking the coach is some magical x-facter is just wishful thinking. ***I'd imagine the only outlier would be Indianapolis and that's due to Luck being a wunderkind: that and their sh*tty defense has necessitated them throwing the ball a lot.

He would and does. We've basically been running it the last 6 years, just we lack the horses that Seattle has.

I don't have all the numbers in front of me, but if I were to look it up, I would not at all be surprised to see Carolina, San Francisco, the Jets, Washington and Buffalo all be in the top 5 or so of rushing attempts and bottom five in passing attempts. There's no surprises to this, this is how teams have always developed a QB and still do; run the ball a whole lot, limit his mitakes by throwing less and try to play as good of defense as possible. No matter who's coaching the NY Jets in '09,'10 and '13, this is likely to be the exact same type of offensive philosophy that they'd run. The only difference in success is the level of QB play and the surrounding weapons. Thinking the coach is some magical x-facter is just wishful thinking. ***I'd imagine the only outlier would be Indianapolis and that's due to Luck being a wunderkind: that and their sh*tty defense has necessitated them throwing the ball a lot.

Can you define "horses"?

God, I hate Shannon Sharpe.

How that man has made a second career out of public-speaking is one of life's greatest mysteries.  It's almost more surprising than how a 6'2 less than 230 lb individual was able to be a HOF TE in his day. Can't stand the man, but he would eat alive the linebackers and dbacks today. 

How that man has made a second career out of public-speaking is one of life's greatest mysteries. It's almost more surprising than how a 6'2 less than 230 lb individual was able to be a HOF TE in his day. Can't stand the man, but he would eat alive the linebackers and dbacks today.

Mushmouth. I hate pre game shows under any circumstances, but throwing Mushmouth out there with Marino and Boomer, with that nonsensically chuckling buffoon James Brown, is sadistic.

He's better than Irvin.  Chandler Jones would have been the re-do.

Not so.  Irvin was going to be the Jets' pick -- this was common knowledge.  Seattle picked him the pick before the Jets picked.  Coples was the fall-back.  Jones went later.

Not so.  Irvin was going to be the Jets' pick -- this was common knowledge.  Seattle picked him the pick before the Jets picked.  Coples was the fall-back.  Jones went later.

I think he was referring to hindsight and that Jones would be our selection had we the opportunity to "redo" the pick due to his level of production. 

definitely splitting hairs but it was an ankle fracture not a sprain. Having suffered through that sometimes they say sprains can linger and be worse but either way we are talking about a guy coming back from a broken leg and dominating in week 13. 

Dominating? Seriously?  He had his one out of every 4-5 games where he is something more than solid.

I like him but he is a solid player....far from dominating.

Pace sucks. He can't cover anyone and really doesn't tackle all that well either. Coples will flourish once Rex is gone and the next DC decides to use a 4-3 defense. Countdown to bye-bye Rex is now at two games. In the immortal words of BARF Scott..."Can't wait."

Pace sucks. He can't cover anyone and really doesn't tackle all that well either. Coples will flourish once Rex is gone and the next DC decides to use a 4-3 defense. Countdown to bye-bye Rex is now at two games. In the immortal words of BARF Scott..."Can't wait."

Pace doesn't suck. He's a pass rusher. Of course he doesn't cover well. He's been a solid player for a long time here. Knock it off.

Pace is having a strong year because of the front line, but I'm not knocking him, he has 9 sacks now, not bad for a 33 year old linebacker is it. Still he must be replaced by a younger faster stronger option. Someone who can complement Coples and force teams to double team one or the other every down. What we're seeing in Coples is his natural ability to make plays, its not easy to go from a down lineman to an OLB/Hybrid lineman and he's getting better every game. Yes he's also getting fully healthy for once this year.

Still we need at least one other dominant LB in this draft, and I'm still looking at replacing Harris before too long, probably in the next 2 years or so. Thing is that we won't really see this defense play out of their minds till we build that backfield into a weapon that must be respected. Right now our DB are a joke and teams come into games vs the Jets ready to feast on our weak backfield. Rex adding Reed wasn't a very smart thing to do, I think he thought that Reed could bring hiss experience and make those around him better, but it don't work that way Rex. what makes them better is bringing in better players who have a future in front of them not behind them. Rex is too sentimental to be coaching an NFL team and as much as I like him he just isn't the H.C. we need.

Dominating? Seriously?  He had his one out of every 4-5 games where he is something more than solid.

I like him but he is a solid player....far from dominating.

you are right he is very far from dominating. Very Far.

The guy makes a play here and there and gets LATE pressure on the QB at the OLB position. He is NOT an OLB and is playing out of position. I have never seen Coples rush the passer and completely beat his guy within a 3 second time span like a real pass rushing OLB should be able to do. I have never seen him disrupt plays early forcing the QB out of the pocket . Most of what we are seeing is coming from Snacks, Wiljkerson and Richardson. These guys forcing QB's out also helps Pace who is another OLB who can not create his own pressure. 

Coples has a big frame and is a very good inside rusher and IMO thats where he needs to be. I do not think he will be able to sustain such a light weight and when he starts to gain he will get even slower at OLB The Jets with the personnel  they have should be running a 4-3 exclusively so that the DL can play the mental game with the OL as well as the physical. 

Archived