Rex Ryan should take the University of Texas HC job

T0mShane

Mack Brown quits. Rex is Dead Man Walking, and his style is more conducive to puffing up college kids than it is toward keeping veterans motivated over a long period of time. He'll be a good recruiter, and his defenses will always be good on the college level. Add to it that he's from Oklahoma and still has a lot of hillbilly in him.

Run, Rex, Run.

Mack Brown quits. Rex is Dead Man Walking, and his style is more conducive to puffing up college kids than it is toward keeping veterans motivated over a long period of time. He'll be a good recruiter, and his defenses will always be good on the college level. Add to it that he's from Oklahoma and still has a lot of hillbilly in him.

Run, Rex, Run.

Could he have developed Vince Young, Colt McCoy and his brother?

Run, Rex, Run.

Doubt it happens as I'm sure Texas would be looking for an UPGRADE over Mack Brown.

Ehh, I don't think his defensive philosophies would work all that well at the college level. That vast majority of times that his defenses gives up big plays are due to breakdowns in communication or errors in technique, and that's with professionals at every position. Could you imagine the mental or physical breakdowns that would come with his schemes? Just don't think he'd have the players to pull it off. 

I do agree that the Texas job is better than a bunch of NFL jobs and it would certainly be a place where he could hone some of his skills in being an overall coach, but I just don't know if he'd enjoy coaching college kids after great NFL players. If he gets fired, I think coaching Texas would be good for him, but just don't see him leaving the NFL ranks in any capacity, seems like a pride thing for him. 

Run, Rex, Run.

Hillbilly?  Austin is most definitely not hillbilly country.  Terrific city -- impossible not to have a great time there.

Ehh, I don't think his defensive philosophies would work all that well at the college level. That vast majority of times that his defenses gives up big plays are due to breakdowns in communication or errors in technique, and that's with professionals at every position. Could you imagine the mental or physical breakdowns that would come with his schemes? Just don't think he'd have the players to pull it off.

I do agree that the Texas job is better than a bunch of NFL jobs and it would certainly be a place where he could hone some of his skills in being an overall coach, but I just don't know if he'd enjoy coaching college kids after great NFL players. If he gets fired, I think coaching Texas would be good for him, but just don't see him leaving the NFL ranks in any capacity, seems like a pride thing for him.

I dunno. I think he can experience a Pete Carroll-like epiphany where he learns to balance being a player's coach with being The Boss. He'll get to cycle through a bunch of recruiting classes, learn to manage personalities better, and have a little maturity forced into him by virtue of having to push kids around. As far as his defenses working, his specialty is in confusing quarterbacks with exotic schemes. College football only has, maybe, 6 quarterbacks at any time who can handle an audible, much less deal with what Rex can throw at them. I think it's a great fit.

I dunno. I think he can experience a Pete Carroll-like epiphany where he learns to balance being a player's coach with being The Boss. He'll get to cycle through a bunch of recruiting classes, learn to manage personalities better, and have a little maturity forced into him by virtue of having to push kids around. As far as his defenses working, his specialty is in confusing quarterbacks with exotic schemes. College football only has, maybe, 6 quarterbacks at any time who can handle an audible, much less deal with what Rex can throw at them. I think it's a great fit.

The Carroll comparison is quite fitting as both were guys who cut their teeth on the defensive side of the ball. I too think it'd be a good fit, but just don't think Rex would take it. I'm torn, because part of me feels he'd see it as a step down and wouldn't want to take the hit on his pride, but another thinks that it being one of the elite college programs in the country would make up for the step down to college. 

It's so odd to see both USC and Texas looking for new coaches in the same year.

In all seriousness, my gut instinct tells me that Saban is the next coach of the Longhorns. Pretty sure his new contract has no buyout and there are plenty of rumors that make it seem as though he already has one foot out of 'Bama and into Texas: the stress that comes with what he's accomplished in Tuscaloosa is beyond anything he's experienced, his wife was checking for "retirement" homes in Austin this past summer, apparently he has some reported money issues and what better way to end your career than to bring one of the all-time prestigious program back to greatness? Not sure there's anything more that he can do in Alabama. I'm going to continue to believe that he's the next coach until Texas hires someone else. 

In all seriousness, my gut instinct tells me that Saban is the next coach of the Longhorns. Pretty sure his new contract has no buyout and there are plenty of rumors that make it seem as though he already has one foot out of 'Bama and into Texas: the stress that comes with what he's accomplished in Tuscaloosa is beyond anything he's experienced, his wife was checking for "retirement" homes in Austin this past summer, apparently he has some reported money issues and what better way to end your career than to bring one of the all-time prestigious program back to greatness? Not sure there's anything more that he can do in Alabama. I'm going to continue to believe that he's the next coach until Texas hires someone else. 

Believe or hope? 

Believe or hope? 

Both, but mostly believe.  Rumors of Saban being unhappy with the situation in 'Bama have been going on for a while now and how many times do you see a player or coach looking for a house in a city where he's rumored to be traded or moving to and then not end up there? It's certainly possible that he stays, but he has to be atop Texas' list and it's the only program that I can really see him leaving for...plus one of the few that can make it financially worth his while. 

Even Sumlin, with his $5 million buy-out has to be on their list, same with Shaw. 

If I had to throw out five names right now it would be Saban, Shaw, Sumlin, Briles and yes, Jimbo Fisher. If this were next year where Jameis could leave, then I would say Fisher would be at the top of my board, but because he'll be contending for another BCS next year, I think he stays put. 

If Saban does stay put, I would say that Shaw and Sumlin become the odds on favorites and ya know what, probably my man Les Miles is up there too. Signed a contract extension within the last year or so and even though LSU is becoming a big program, it's not one of the storied franchises like Texas, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame etc. He would get more media exposure in Texas than he could even dream of and even though I'm on record as saying the only team he'd leave LSU for would be michigan, I think Texas could persuade him as well.  It'll be a very interesting month down there.

This is a fun thought experiment, but no one's answered the big question: Why would Rex take a college job when he'll have another NFL HC offer five minutes after he gets fired?

The BBQ brisket in Austin is reason enough.  Come to think of it, he will probably go full Herm Edwards, with a twist - BBQ with toe jam.

He signed a long term deal with the Tide yesterday.

The Carroll comparison is quite fitting as both were guys who cut their teeth on the defensive side of the ball. I too think it'd be a good fit, but just don't think Rex would take it. I'm torn, because part of me feels he'd see it as a step down and wouldn't want to take the hit on his pride, but another thinks that it being one of the elite college programs in the country would make up for the step down to college.

It's so odd to see both USC and Texas looking for new coaches in the same year.

Also, Carroll and Rex were both immature dolts when they got fired from their NFL HC gigs. I think if Rex strikes out on a HC gig (the only jobs coming open for sure are the Vikings and Redskins--probably the Cowboys), then he's either getting an anonymous $1 mil per DC job, or he can try and get a $5 mil Texas job where he'll be feted like a king. Rex loveeeees his name in the paper.

Slimy or not, at 62 yrs old and at somewhere between 7-8M per I dont think he is going anywhere.

He's a giant egomaniac in the Parcells mould. He's implied a few different times that he thinks the Alabama base takes him for granted, and he just got sh*t on all over the place for the ill-advised field goal attempt that let Auburn beat him. Guys like this leave jobs because their school-appointed secretary doesn't put enough sugar in the coffee. It wouldn't surprise me.

He's a giant egomaniac in the Parcells mould. He's implied a few different times that he thinks the Alabama base takes him for granted, and he just got sh*t on all over the place for the ill-advised field goal attempt that let Auburn beat him. Guys like this leave jobs because their school-appointed secretary doesn't put enough sugar in the coffee. It wouldn't surprise me.

The ego always comes with great success. Maybe his NFL failure tempers it a bit. 3 BCS in 4 yrs gets ya a lot of slack after one freak bad call. He takes his coffee black, no sugar.

Archived