Rex Ryan Is Getting Fired (Speculation Thread)

Lizard King

Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?

• Yes
    • No

Replace Rex with Mark Sanchez,  and coach with QB, think Mark Sanchez should be back next year?

actually if Mark gave money back, yes. like Alex Smith gave money back. As it stands Mark has taken too much money from this team and not enough production. His salary for next year is obscene compared to what type of player he is... But if he were willing to give back money it saves the Jets they dead space from cutting mark and it saves them what it would have cost to sign a vet QB replacement. 

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are seriously delusional, and I mean seriously.

I think I want my head coach, whoever that may be Svaluating talent at all times, and especaiily talent that may be drafted right away. I think most coaches do this but maybe Rex isnt "most coaches". Maybe during the senior bowl, or north south shrine game, or the combine, he takes his wife to Aruba, and shows off his Geno Smith Tattoo.

You mean, if someone offers Rex a Head coaching gig, and say a 3 year contract, that he sits at home and takes Woodys one year "pension". letting someone else have the job, come on?

Sorry about the rant, but your last post just flew in the face of the "Rex will have his choice of Jobs" Rhetoric.

it depends on the job etc. Yes if the right offer came around he'd take it but he could probably use a paid year off. Couldn't everyone? 

if you were honest about the quality of the HCs available on the market you'd realize that Rex Ryan is at or near the top of available names, should he become available. Who is better than Rex? Whizzinator? Lovie Smith?

You and I have a very, very different opinion about the quality of Rex as a HC. I think your view of Rex as a HC is really badly out of whack.

actually if Mark gave money back, yes. like Alex Smith gave money back. As it stands Mark has taken too much money from this team and not enough production. His salary for next year is obscene compared to what type of player he is... But if he were willing to give back money it saves the Jets they dead space from cutting mark and it saves them what it would have cost to sign a vet QB replacement. 

I dont care if that bum gives back every penny. Please end another "Jet Fiasco" era and move on. Please.

I think I want my head coach, whoever that may be Svaluating talent at all times, and especaiily talent that may be drafted right away. I think most coaches do this but maybe Rex isnt "most coaches". Maybe during the senior bowl, or north south shrine game, or the combine, he takes his wife to Aruba, and shows off his Geno Smith Tattoo.

I know it's hard to walk in another man's shoes but imagine you just worked 18 hour days for 6 months straight. The last thing you'd want to do is work 12 hour days for the next 6 months as a scout. These coaches need the offseason like the players need it. They see things but they don't prepare reports like the scouts do. They don't look at the punters obsessively. They go to key proday's but they don't go to all of em. There's a whole department of people who do that job. They are more like freelancers in the offseason and can scout as much or as little as they want. 

it depends on the job etc. Yes if the right offer came around he'd take it but he could probably use a paid year off. Couldn't everyone? 

Just FYI guys, if Rex doesn't get another HC gig next year, it doesn't mean he wasn't offered one; it means Rex feels like taking a year off.

You and I have a very, very different opinion about the quality of Rex as a HC. I think your view of Rex as a HC is really badly out of whack.

Let me try this:

He:

REX=PARCELLS

YOU and I

REX=COSLET ( I was going to do Kotite but really, thats not fair.

what do you think?

parcells said it you are what your record says you are. You guys speak about this team like they are 1-13 but they are actually 6-8. you talk about Rex like he's underwater, he's still above .500 for his career. I agree we do have different opinions about Rex. His resume is better on paper than most guys. That's just a fact of the market.

I know it's hard to walk in another man's shoes but imagine you just worked 18 hour days for 6 months straight. The last thing you'd want to do is work 12 hour days for the next 6 months as a scout. These coaches need the offseason like the players need it. They see things but they don't prepare reports like the scouts do. They don't look at the punters obsessively. They go to key proday's but they don't go to all of em. There's a whole department of people who do that job. They are more like freelancers in the offseason and can scout as much or as little as they want. 

Being a GOOD HC in the NFL is a 365 day a year job. There is a reason they make millions and millions of dollars, and it's not because they look cute on the sidelines.

I intentionally left off the 0.25 days for family time and vacations.

Just FYI guys, if Rex doesn't get another HC gig next year, it doesn't mean he wasn't offered one; it means Rex feels like taking a year off.

Lovie Smith interviewed for jobs but decided to sit back and take the Bears' money. Rex can be a chooser at that point he can wait for the right job. 

Sorry, you make Millions of dollars/year. Suck it up and go to the Senior Bowl, and please, at least attend the combine.

because coaches coach and players play. And Rex doesn't make the draft picks either

btw this site is like a bubble you guys have been talking to each other so long, it's generally assumed Rex will get fired. Outside of this bubble there's a real case to keep him. 6 wins with a 3 win roster is actually a good coaching job. 

and Woody isn't gonna pay Rex to sit at home, if they can win one of these last 2 games Woody would rather let Rex be a lame duck than hve to pay 2 head coaches in 2014. When has Woody ever paid someone to leave the team? 

"Everyone knows" that Rex heavily influenced every draft with Tannenbaum, just like "everyone knows" that Idzik wanted Geno to start all along.

I've already stated that Rex got the guys to over-achieve some this season, and I think that it's a great thing. However, if you look at his tenure here, over 5 years he's reduced this team to a 3- or 4-win team that got lucky / got super-duper-motivation-Rex'ed to an extra couple of wins.

I think Rex does a great job coaching in 1 out of every 3 or 4 games, and he can do it against some good competition or the Bills, the rest of the time he gets pants'ed by any Tom, Dick and Harry that has a competent offensive line.

Being a GOOD HC in the NFL is a 365 day a year job. There is a reason they make millions and millions of dollars, and it's not because they look cute on the sidelines.

I intentionally left off the 0.25 days for family time and vacations.

Why don't they ask the scouts to make play calls? why don't you ask your plumber to install your electrical?  

Sorry, you make Millions of dollars/year. Suck it up and go to the Senior Bowl, and please, at least attend the combine.

they go to these things they just aren't scouts. They might be talking to other coaches about how to defend the spread. He gives a press conference. Rex isn't at the combine with a clipboard and a stop watch. that's not his job. 

Lovie Smith interviewed for jobs but decided to sit back and take the Bears' money. Rex can be a chooser at that point he can wait for the right job. 

Yeah, and now how many are mentioning Lovie as a candidate? To date, I have heard ZERO. You take a year off and all of a sudden, guys get hot that are still activly coaching like Shaw, Obrien, Summerlin, Zimmer, Bevell etc.

Rex takes a year off, he will be some sidenote to his whacko brother.

If this Jets job wasn't the "right job" for Rex, no job will be.

Hiring Rex was like putting one of our slob fans in charge of the team for half a decade.

Yeah, and now how many are mentioning Lovie as a candidate? To date, I have heard ZERO. You take a year off and all of a sudden, guys get hot that are still activly coaching like Shaw, Obrien, Summerlin, Zimmer, Bevell etc.

Rex takes a year off, he will be some sidenote to his whacko brother.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000293747/article/lovie-smith-already-contacted-by-houston-texans

Let me try this:

He:

REX=PARCELLS

YOU and I

REX=COSLET ( I was going to do Kotite but really, thats not fair.

what do you think?

parcells said it you are what your record says you are. You guys speak about this team like they are 1-13 but they are actually 6-8. you talk about Rex like he's underwater, he's still above .500 for his career. I agree we do have different opinions about Rex. His resume is better on paper than most guys. That's just a fact of the market.

I don't really care what Parcells says to be honest, I don't like him.

Rex is an average overall HC, his defensive ability offsets to an extent his enormous deficiencies in most other areas of being a HC, but they limit him from ever being anything more than average.

I am not interested in average for the HC of the Jets. I am willing to see the team get worse if it means ultimately getting better. I have seen playoff games, a division championship, 4 AFCC games, decent seasons. I want the Jets to win a SB in my lifetime, maybe even more than one.

Rex absolutely positively will not do that unless he absolutely lucks into a great QB. Luck and hope are not strategies.

Why don't they ask the scouts to make play calls? why don't you ask your plumber to install your electrical?  

If the scouts start making $6mil a year, maybe we should.

Im not sure that plumber doing electrical work is a valid analogy. Maybe saying why not ask your GC to make sure you hire a competent electrician is a better analogy here.

I don't really care what Parcells says to be honest, I don't like him.

Rex is an average overall HC, his defensive ability offsets to an extent his enormous deficiencies in most other areas of being a HC, but they limit him from ever being anything more than average.

I am not interested in average for the HC of the Jets. I am willing to see the team get worse if it means ultimately getting better. I have seen playoff games, a division championship, 4 AFCC games, decent seasons. I want the Jets to win a SB in my lifetime, maybe even more than one.

Rex absolutely positively will not do that unless he absolutely lucks into a great QB. Luck and hope are not strategies.

look at John Fox. An average HC with an emphasis on defense. He's a career DC before he was a HC. in a situation now where he doesn't need to worry about the offense because Peyton is a OC on the field.  John Fox is about the same quality as Rex Ryan, believe it or not. The difference is the qualty of the players. That's why John Fox makes about 3.5 mil a year and Peyton makes 20. 

Oh, bitonti is on his Rex is great thread. Boring....and ABSURD. Rex has done little or nothing to prove that he is a quality NFL HC. Baltimore didn't want him and I doubt he sniffs another NFL HC job as long as he lives. Too lenient on the players who profess to LOVE him, yet they go out and "pretend tackle" all day long with no repercussions. Use your eyes bitonti and tell me you think the Jets play hard EACH AND EVERY GAME, because if you say that your a stone liar.

Use your eyes bitonti and tell me you think the Jets play hard EACH AND EVERY GAME, because if you say that your a stone liar.

this team has goal line stands and the league's best run D, that's not a sign of a team not playing hard. I can concede Rex isn't perfect. The penalties for example. Giving holmes the captain patch. The guy makes mistakes. But this team is playing real hard. They are actually overachieving with this tire fire roster. if the jets released everyone on waivers maybe a dozen guys get picked up. Maybe less. 

look at John Fox. An average HC with an emphasis on defense. He's a career DC before he was a HC. in a situation now where he doesn't need to worry about the offense because Peyton is a OC on the field.  John Fox is about the same quality as Rex Ryan, believe it or not. The difference is the qualty of the players. That's why John Fox makes about 3.5 mil a year and Peyton makes 20. 

Im really not sure what the heck you are saying here???

Are you suggesting if Rex had Peyton Manning as a QB that the Jets would be much better?

No sh!t, what a shocker.

The reality is the odds of us getting a QB of anywhere near that caliber anytime soon is a very long shot to say the least.

So we need to build a competent offense by drafting and developing a QB, and that means having a solid system in place, and solid players around him, period.

Rex has done pretty much the exact opposite in his time here.

my question is what would the next guy bring to the table that's better than Rex. 

Maybe some accountability. Not being afraid of confrontation. Benching players for poor play. Realizing that the offense and defense are equal parts. Bringing in better assistants(look at the guys we've lost recently- Pettine, Callahan, Sutton). There's not much discipline in Florham Park right now. 5 years is a long time. Some guys are uncoachable douches- Rex doesnt recognize that and is afraid of confronting it.

this team has goal line stands and the league's best run D, that's not a sign of a team not playing hard. I can concede Rex isn't perfect. The penalties for example. Giving holmes the captain patch. The guy makes mistakes. But this team is playing real hard. They are actually overachieving with this tire fire roster. if the jets released everyone on waivers maybe a dozen guys get picked up. Maybe less. 

Nonsense, this team is not overachieving at all, not one stinking bit.

This team is 4th worst in the league in points differential, the only reason we have 6 wins is we got two gift wins, period. You and your fellow Rex lovers can talk about overachieving all you want, but the point differential tells the real story of this season.

We had a gift 5-4 record coming out of the by, so either the roster is good enough to win with or it's not, and against a soft schedule Rex and the Jets absolutely sh!t the bed over the next 5 games, that is  not overachieving.

my question is what would the next guy bring to the table that's better than Rex. 

There is no guarantee of anything, and that is a fact.

The plan would have to be to do something like the Dolphins did. Go out and find a guy that you believe can develop a QB and an offense, and hope he is a good HC.

Who knows if it will work or not, but if you don't try you can be damn sure this team will never have a competent offense as long as Rex is here.

Rex sits at home and takes Woody's money. If he takes another job he forfeits that money. Like a divorced woman not marrying her new boyfriend cause she still wants the alimony.

maybe you should learn the facts before going off on a rant.

I don't think there's any offset in coaching contracts. He gets the money whether he's coaching or not.

Archived