Rex Ryan Is Getting Fired (Speculation Thread)

Lizard King

Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still not sold there's a better HC out there. The Jets have to be absolutely sure of that because this franchise giving up a coach who's elite in area of the game is just lol worthy, and Ryan IS an elite defensive coach.

Mike Westhoff was elite in his area of the game, too. How can we lose all these elite-in-one-area coaches and survive?????????

Here's the jets problem we are very unstable right now no qb no skill offensive players and problems in pass defense . We have a rookie GM who besides Richardson hasn't done that great of a job . And if some of the other coaches get fired (Schwartz, coughlin) those are more desirable and we won't get the best guy just like last years GM search . So before we show Rex the door we better have a better replacement or 3 yrs from now we will be doing same thing !

Per ESPN Radio:

Also said Idzik was pissed that Sanchez was lost for the season because of the stupid Snoopy Bowl decision (Sorry "competition" camp). Also said Idzik is faulting Rex for offensive personnel decisions that had some cause of the decline on offense.

Faulting Rex for offensive personnel decisions - like drafting Sanchez? then getting him injured? like wasting picks on guys like Connor? bringing in guys like Plaxico and Holmes? keeping Schotty too long? hiring Sporano? 

I mean, this is just "tip of the iceberg" stuff that led to our offense being a complete calamity ... something one 2nd round QB wasn't going to fix in his rookie season, a FACT all of you should understand no matter how God damn naive you are. 

Look around the league. It takes a truly, truly crap-tastic leader to manage to take this big a dump on offense. This league is ALL about scoring. Journeyman failures at QB are dropping 300 yards like it's nothing. Our team is so devoid of talent on offense, I'm argue that Brick, Mangold, maybe Hunter, Ivory and maybe Kerley could start for other teams... and that is it.

I can believe Rex is getting fired but if Snoopy bowl is the reason we are in big trouble with Idzik in charge.  Everyone knows Idzik wanted to start Geno. That's the whole reason why Geno started preseason game 3 even though he didn't earn it. 

The reasons is more than Snoopy Bowl. The rest of your post is speculation, so no, everyone doesn't know it. LOL

It was a sad day when Rex lost the Jets.

See: Game vs Pittsburgh Steelers, AFCCG

Agreed, all downhill from that point on. That was Rex peaking, and it's too much to ask that some people around here can't see how obvious that is.

Sanchez got mad at Idzik when he got hurt, not Rex.  I think Idzik is making sure to tie that to Rex before turning the page.

Could be, but I believe Sanchez got mad at all of them... including Rex. I would have if I were him.

the whole thing reads like an obvious lie. for idzik to be really mad about sanchez' injury? cmon. no one really believes that

Well, it's a report by the media, not an actual quote or fact. So, in general it should be taken with a grain of salt.

This.

Rex                     Herm

Years coached                              5                            5

Winning Seasons                         2                            3

Divisional Titles                            0                            1

Playoff Appearances                    2                            3

Playoff Games                               6                            5

Playoff Wins                                   4                            2

Super Bowls Promised               2                            0

BTW ... Baltimore has won a Super Bowl since he left. 

Rex is overrated.

Baltimore's defense before Rex = AMAZING.

Baltimore's defense after losing Rex, still with Reed and Lewis = AMAZING.

Baltimore's defense after losing Rex, Reed and Lewis = still pretty darn good at times.

Long story short, that defense with Reed and Lewis, and many of the other supporting studs playing in it was a Kingmaker. 

It made Mike Nolan, Marvin Lewis, Rex Ryan, and Chuck Pagano into head coaches.

It also propelled many of the positional coaches towards career success... Mike Singletary, Jack DelRio, Mike Smith.

Greg Mattison is the only one who arguable saw a career downgrade, going from DC of the Ravens to DC of the Michigan Wolverines.

Baltimore's defense before Rex = AMAZING.

Baltimore's defense after losing Rex, still with Reed and Lewis = AMAZING.

Baltimore's defense after losing Rex, Reed and Lewis = still pretty darn good at times.

The ravens still run Rex's system. If a new HC comes in here and installs a 4-3, your argument holds no water.

The ravens still run Rex's system. If a new HC comes in here and installs a 4-3, your argument holds no water.

WTF are you talking about? "My argument" isn't an argument, it is a statement of fact. The Ravens defense was dominant before, during and after Rex's tenure. Meaning it's more about the players than the coach with that team, and that those players helped a LOT of coaches Peter Principle their way on out of town.

If the Ravens "still ran Rex's system" (LOL) after he left, then explain to me why they stifled teams, created turnovers, got sacks and didn't give up game-winning drives in the 4th quarter after being dominant all game, the way Rex's defenses have? Explain why the Ravens defense didn't get whipped by legit QBs in the playoffs, because based on what I know of Rex's system it can't do that.

Explain why the Ravens defense didn't get whipped by legit QBs in the playoffs, because based on what I know of Rex's system it can't do that.

because coaches coach and players play. And Rex doesn't make the draft picks either

btw this site is like a bubble you guys have been talking to each other so long, it's generally assumed Rex will get fired. Outside of this bubble there's a real case to keep him. 6 wins with a 3 win roster is actually a good coaching job. 

and Woody isn't gonna pay Rex to sit at home, if they can win one of these last 2 games Woody would rather let Rex be a lame duck than hve to pay 2 head coaches in 2014. When has Woody ever paid someone to leave the team? 

because coaches coach and players play. And Rex doesn't make the draft picks either

btw this site is like a bubble you guys have been talking to each other so long, it's generally assumed Rex will get fired. Outside of this bubble there's a real case to keep him. 6 wins with a 3 win roster is actually a good coaching job. 

and Woody isn't gonna pay Rex to sit at home, if they can win one of these last 2 games Woody would rather let Rex be a lame duck than hve to pay 2 head coaches in 2014. When has Woody ever paid someone to leave the team? 

Whoa, "Woody isnt gonna pay Rex to sit at home"? What happened to the rhetoric we keep hearing that for example on this very forum:

"Rex will have a job faster than Mangini"

and another Rex supporter wrote:

"Rex will have a job within 72 hours"

You guys want to have it both ways and tend to be highly hypocritical. You tell us that Rex is the greatest thing since sliced bread and that he will basically be able to choose his next gig, BUT then you use the reasoning that Woody wont want to pay Rex sitting at home , insinuating he will be without a JOB. Which is it, He's great and will immediately get a JOB or he sucks and Woody will have to pay him for sitting at home?

Listen, make your arguments but dont use both sides of your mouth when making them. Please.

Can't wait till he's gone. Can't wait until he eventually drives another franchise into the ground. Can't wait for all the Rex Fanboys to go full Herm Fanboy and delete all their Rex Fanboy posts.

December 30th, 2013. I have a bottle of bubbly that will be popped one day early when it happens, and then of course a case of COORS LITE.

Can't wait till he's gone. Can't wait until he eventually drives another franchise into the ground. Can't wait for all the Rex Fanboys to go full Herm Fanboy and delete all their Rex Fanboy posts.

I really don't think Rex will be fired, unfortunately.

I have looked at the "should rex be fired polls?" on other forums as well as this one and most of the other forums the fanbase seems to be much more on the side of keep Rex than fire Rex.

This site actually seems to have more rational Jet fans than others, although we clearly have more than our share of irrational Rex lovers.

Don't think for a second that Rex is not taking the pulse of the fan base when he ultimately makes this decision, which he will. 

Three factors will lead to his return:

1) Fan base seems to overall be more in favor of keeping him than firing him.

2) Woody really likes Rex

3) Woody owes him money next year regardless

I think the real question at this point is does he come back in the final year of his contract, does he get a one year extension, or does he get a multi year extension.

As much as this sickens me, I think you can take this to the bank barring a complete collapse the final two games of the year to the point we are embarrassed.

Faulting Rex for offensive personnel decisions - like drafting Sanchez? then getting him injured? like wasting picks on guys like Connor? bringing in guys like Plaxico and Holmes? keeping Schotty too long? hiring Sporano? 

I mean, this is just "tip of the iceberg" stuff that led to our offense being a complete calamity ... something one 2nd round QB wasn't going to fix in his rookie season, a FACT all of you should understand no matter how God damn naive you are. 

Look around the league. It takes a truly, truly crap-tastic leader to manage to take this big a dump on offense. This league is ALL about scoring. Journeyman failures at QB are dropping 300 yards like it's nothing. Our team is so devoid of talent on offense, I'm argue that Brick, Mangold, maybe Hunter, Ivory and maybe Kerley could start for other teams... and that is it.

The reasons is more than Snoopy Bowl. The rest of your post is speculation, so no, everyone doesn't know it. LOL

This post really hits the nail on the head, and I really cannot understand how so many Jets fans are so irrational in their love for Rex that they are willing to look past these things.

Even if you want to fault Tannenbaum 100% for the offensive roster, which there is mounds of evidence suggesting that Rex is at least as responsible, if not more responsible, as Tanny, the things you mention so clearly have led to the current disaster which is our offense. 

I really don't think Rex will be fired, unfortunately.

I have looked at the "should rex be fired polls?" on other forums as well as this one and most of the other forums the fanbase seems to be much more on the side of keep Rex than fire Rex.

This site actually seems to have more rational Jet fans than others, although we clearly have more than our share of irrational Rex lovers.

Don't think for a second that Rex is not taking the pulse of the fan base when he ultimately makes this decision, which he will. 

Three factors will lead to his return:

1) Fan base seems to overall be more in favor of keeping him than firing him.

2) Woody really likes Rex

3) Woody owes him money next year regardless

I think the real question at this point is does he come back in the final year of his contract, does he get a one year extension, or does he get a multi year extension.

As much as this sickens me, I think you can take this to the bank barring a complete collapse the final two games of the year to the point we are embarrassed.

Oh, the "fire Rex" fanbase (all except maybe "Mexi") are fully prepared that the decision could in fact be that Rex stays.

Would I be Dissappointed? Absolutely as I Just cant watch his offenses "function". I will be even more dissappointed if they extend him, much like when we were flabbergasted that they extended Sanchez, but to keep him, you almost most certainly have to extend him.

Will I still be a JETS FAN? Of course, Look we survived Rich Kotite, Charlie Winner, Bruce Coslet, Lou Holtz etc., and in another 5 or ten years when making these coaching failure lists, we will simply have another name to add to it.

Whoa, "Woody isnt gonna pay Rex to sit at home"? What happened to the rhetoric we keep hearing that for example on this very forum:

"Rex will have a job faster than Mangini"

and another Rex supporter wrote:

"Rex will have a job within 72 hours"

You guys want to have it both ways and tend to be highly hypocritical. You tell us that Rex is the greatest thing since sliced bread and that he will basically be able to choose his next gig, BUT then you use the reasoning that Woody wont want to pay Rex sitting at home , insinuating he will be without a JOB. Which is it, He's great and will immediately get a JOB or he sucks and Woody will have to pay him for sitting at home?

Listen, make your arguments but dont use both sides of your mouth when making them. Please.

Rex sits at home and takes Woody's money. If he takes another job he forfeits that money. Like a divorced woman not marrying her new boyfriend cause she still wants the alimony. 

maybe you should learn the facts before going off on a rant.

Will I still be a JETS FAN? Of course, Look we survived Rich Kotite, Charlie Winner, Bruce Coslet, Lou Holtz etc., and in another 5 or ten years when making these coaching failure lists, we will simply have another name to add to it.

there's no way Rex is included in those names. He's the only Jets coach to make it to the conference champ game twice. He's the playoff wins leader. Maybe it's time for a change but he's not Rich Kotite.

Good players being on the roster requires two things, good talent evaluation, and good development.

There is no magical formula for this, and both of those things require the coaching staff to be a part of, there is really no way around it.

There is a reason why every HC in the league is part of the combine, the scouting process, and in the war room at the draft.

If your HC cannot evaluate and develop talent, he is useless no matter how good your GM is.

This notion that the Rex lovers have that it's all on the GM to supply a talented roster is so flawed its literally comical. Of course GM's play a major part in that, but so does the coaching staff.

Rex sits at home and takes Woody's money. If he takes another job he forfeits that money. Like a divorced woman not marrying her new boyfriend cause she still wants the alimony. 

He only forfeits that money if he takes another HC'ing job, not a DC job for less money.

Contrary to the Rex lovers distorted view on Rex, there is absolutely no guarantee whatsoever that Rex gets another HC job right away if ever at all.

Not every owner likes the circus like our moron owner.

There is a reason why every HC in the league is part of the combine, the scouting process, and in the war room at the draft.

If your HC cannot evaluate and develop talent, he is useless no matter how good your GM is.

This notion that the Rex lovers have that it's all on the GM to supply a talented roster is so flawed its literally comical. Of course GM's play a major part in that, but so does the coaching staff.

the job of the HC is to coach the team during the season and make game day decisions. In Rex's case that job includes calling the defense plays. When guys like Rex go to the combine or senior bowl it's not really to be the main evaluators. They are supplemental temporary scouts. Alot of times they aren't even watching. Coaches treat it like an end of year conference. It's absolutely the GM's job to stock the roster, NOT the HC. 

there's no way Rex is included in those names. He's the only Jets coach to make it to the conference champ game twice. He's the playoff wins leader. Maybe it's time for a change but he's not Rich Kotite.

Replace Rex with Mark Sanchez,  and coach with QB, think Mark Sanchez should be back next year?

You mean, if someone offers Rex a Head coaching gig, and say a 3 year contract, that he sits at home and takes Woodys one year "pension". letting someone else have the job, come on?

Sorry about the rant, but your last post just flew in the face of the "Rex will have his choice of Jobs" Rhetoric.

the job of the HC is to coach the team during the season and make game day decisions. In Rex's case that job includes calling the defense plays. When guys like Rex go to the combine or senior bowl it's not really to be the main evaluators. They are supplemental temporary scouts. Alot of times they aren't even watching. Coaches treat it like an end of year conference. It's absolutely the GM's job to stock the roster, NOT the HC. 

You are seriously delusional, and I mean seriously.

He only forfeits that money if he takes another HC'ing job, not a DC job for less money.

Contrary to the Rex lovers distorted view on Rex, there is absolutely no guarantee whatsoever that Rex gets another HC job right away if ever at all.

Not every owner likes the circus like our moron owner.

if you were honest about the quality of the HCs available on the market you'd realize that Rex Ryan is at or near the top of available names, should he become available. Who is better than Rex? Whizzinator? Lovie Smith?

If the trend of the past 3 years continues, he could easily crack the top 5, but your right, Kotite is probably safe.

Archived