Rex Ryan Is Getting Fired (Speculation Thread)

Lizard King

Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clemens? C'mon now.

The other guys, we don't know who made those decisions. I kinda recall Rex liking  Woodhead.

In regard to developing a player, you can only make so much out of who the gm drafts/signs. Also, specifically to qb, no amount of development will make 90% of the qb's in the nfl successful without also having 1)talent in the line protecting him and 2) talent at wr to throw it to. Look at some of the Oline and wr corps we have put on the field the last 3 seasons. Seems to me like every year got worse. Is that Rex's fault? I am sure he put in his 2 cents for defensive players in the draft, but I don't know that it was his decision, and I highly doubt he had any real input into this season's roster.

They didn't say it during the preseason, but everyone knows this season was meant to be a culling of contracts and players to rebuild. I can't imagine the front office had much higher expectations than the talking heads who put us near the bottom of the league. BOTH sides of the ball were severely hacked up, lots of starters gone. The offense struggled, while the defense did find a way to outperform for most of the season, getting us probably twice as many wins as most people thought.

The problems on offense really fall on the qb/wr play. I don't think Geno was who the Jets were really looking to draft. I think Idzik had to work with scouts from the old regime and I think Geno fell to such a low spot that the Jets just saw him as the BEP on the board and rolled the dice.

I think:

1) If Rex is fired he finds another head coaching job in less than 72 hours.

2) He is a great defensive mind and can get about as much out of a defense as any coach could hope to get.

3) What head coach could the Jets get that would be an improvement over Rex? Not Gruden, he isn't coming back, and neither is Cowher. Here is a guy who went to the AFCC in 2 of 5 years with teams that seriously outplayed their own talent?

4) If Rex is canned, that means Marty is gone to because what coach wants to be stuck with an OC that isn't his pick.

5) Marty is probably as good an OC as the Jets could hope to get.

6) Right now we have what I view to be as good a tandem in defensive mind in Rex and offensive mind in Marty as the Jets have had.

1. In the NFL?

2. Absolutely, but this just in, their is another side of the ball.

3. What head coach WOULDNT be an improvement? He's jus barely above .500

4. Good riddance, Our QB is atrocious, and we dont have a 400 yard receiver. Sheesh.

5. As good as Rex could hope to get following Schotty and Sparano

6. Wow, better than Parcells?

2. He still believes that in today's NFL, you can win Super Bowls with good defense and a passive offense.

Perhaps my favorite myth of them all.

He was playing to the strengths of the team the first 2 years by running the ball.  He'd have been strung up they chucked it all over the field with their line and depth at RB.

In year 3 he committed to opening it up more which was met with less than stellar results.  We can debate why that is but the fact of the matter is they weren't ready for Air Coryell.

In year 4 he made his worst decision in hiring Sparano.  He was duped by a guy who had a good interview -- happens.  Sparano was obviously a disaster but his philosophy coming in wasn't ground and pound.  I listened to the interviews when it was announced he was hired and during the season and he constantly talked about "chunk plays" and putting the QB in a position to throw the ball downfield.  It simply didn't work.

This year he goes and hires someone who has consistently demonstrated he'd rather throw than run the ball.  He's worked with some great QB's and isn't shy about letting everyone know he'd rather pass it.

There is absolutely zero evidence to support this fabrication that Rex wants to be conservative on offense.  In fact he's said the opposite on numerous occasions.  Before the season he talked about wanting an attacking offense.

So why do you think it is that our offense has looked conservative this year?  Anyone care to venture a guess? 

I'll give you a hint..  If you say Geno and the WR's have sucked, and our O-line has been sieve-like at times, than you're getting warm.

Rex Ryan is not head coach material guys. He's an above average defensive coordinator who is pretty much clueless when it comes to the offensive side of the ball. Also, as a few here have stated his STYLE of play is not in sync with what is happening in the game circa 2013.

They want offense and passing for TDs while Rex wants it to go back to Defense Wins Championships and the old ground and pound. The game has changed from when Rex's daddy was prominent in the game. Remember when RBs were picked in the top 5?

Bottom line though is this; 3 years in a row sucking gets a man fired-in ANY job in America. It's time to move on to a guy who HAS been an NFL head coach before and who HAS won and who HAS taken a team to the Super Bowl and preferably even won one or two. Is that guy out there?

Why is it that everyone would rather craft and shape narrative about Rex's motivations or his involvement in the draft process than address how you arrive on a contract extension for someone who has 3-straight non-winning seasons?

Probably the same reason people are trying to promote this ridiculousness that Rex is responsible for the lack of weapons on offense.

Ken Wisenhunt is my choice for the next HC for the NYJ. Ex Jets player who has been to the big dance twice, once as Cowher's OC and won it, and once as the Cardinals' HC and lost it in the Santonio game.

Right now he's the Chargers' OC and can be stolen away since it's not a lateral move. He's my pick what do you guys think? 

Ken Wisenhunt is my choice for the next HC for the NYJ. Ex Jets player who has been to the big dance twice, once as Cowher's OC and won it, and once as the Cardinals' HC and lost it in the Santonio game.

Right now he's the Chargers' OC and can be stolen away since it's not a lateral move. He's my pick what do you guys think? 

I would literally feel sick to my stomach if they fired Rex for Ken Wisenkunt.  The guy is like 10-30 as a HC without Kurt Warner as his QB.  This year he's coached an offense with Rivers, Gates, and Allen to 1 more win than the Jets who have Geno and David Nelson.

Man you guys are frustrating....

I would literally feel sick to my stomach if they fired Rex for Ken Wisenkunt.  The guy is like 10-30 as a HC without Kurt Warner as his QB.  This year he's coached an offense with Rivers, Gates, and Allen to 1 more win than the Jets who have Geno and David Nelson.

Man you guys are frustrating....

Isn't it about time that Woody Johnson prove to the football world that he CAN coax a real NFL head coach to work for him? He's never been able to do it yet Al Groh, Herm Edwards, Mangini, and now Ryan. All 1st timers.

on edit: that whole "if he didn't have so and so as his QB is a stupid argument in that every player ever cited has had multiple seasons that they didn't win, but to have a coach and a team around him that DID win proves the point that the guy KNOWS HOW TO win NFL games.

One thing we DO know about Rex Ryan is he has no clue on how to pick or develop a QB.

2011 is a pretty good draft all things considered.

The problem is really 2010 and 2009, when we added so few players, most of whom did not work out.

Isn't it about time that Woody Johnson prove to the football world that he CAN coax a real NFL head coach to work for him? He's never been able to do it yet Al Groh, Herm Edwards, Mangini, and now Ryan. All 1st timers. 

jets fans need to step back, put down the green glasses, and take a real look at the team they support. If you were a great Head coach, Not a Jets fan, and you had choices, you wouldn't want this job. Reasons include: 

-no quarterback or any franchise players to build around (mo?). 

-meddlesome owner who might just sign Tebow when you aren't looking

-meddlesome GM who overrules the HC on lineup decisions.

-high taxes/cost of living

-ridiculous media both in numbers and audacity

-second fiddle to an original NFL franchise (that you share a stadium with) 

-overly negative fanbase (boo-birds will force your hand on key lineup decisions, AND force you to be fired in 5 years if you haven't won a SB)

what's the appeal of this job? other than it's a job, and if you have never been a HC before it's better than nothing. 

You really think a New York opening would not attract candidates- the ego involved alone on most of these people would drive them here

it will attract candidates just not good ones.  look up the difference between NY tax and Florida tax for example. If the salaries were equal, between cost of living and tax, coaching in Florida is like a 50% raise. it's gonna be retreads like the whizzinator or friends of Idzik with no HC experience. those are your candidates. 

by the way since we are talking about realistic candidates, why not Marty? he was hired in the Idzik era, he's a former HC, he's that "offensive minded" coach who has worked with a dozen successful QBs including Farve, Steve Young, Garcia, VIck, Foles etc. And he's already here. Doesn't have to be lured out of college or whatever.

Why is it that everyone would rather craft and shape narrative about Rex's motivations or his involvement in the draft process than address how you arrive on a contract extension for someone who has 3-straight non-winning seasons?

I actually havent seen anyone suggest a contract extension.  I think most of us who support Rex would just like to see him play his contract out to see what he can do next season with some actual talent on the team, assuming Idzik knows what he's doing (which I doubt).

On his somewhat less fat a$$. He will be a DC somewhere eventually, but I would bet that like Joe Walton and Rich Kotite, Rex will NOT sniff another HC job. He just isn't a HC. He lacks the overall skills necessary to build a winning offense, he pats players on the back that he should kick in the pants and while he is media savvy, without John Idzik to rein him in, watch and see how quick he goes back to Bombastic Rex.

Ken Whisenhunt. He played and coached with the Jets. He is NOT a first time HC and he is offensive minded. I would not object to Lovie Smith although he is a bit like Rex in that he has not shown an ability - even with a good QB - to build a solid offense. O'Brien would be the only first time candidate that I would endorse though NOT whole heartedly. Bevel? He seems to be the leading candidate, but that first time HC label would hang on him so I would be leery of him. SayNoToDMC and bitonti will have to be watched and kept away from sharp objects when Idzik pulls the trigger, and he surely will.

I actually havent seen anyone suggest a contract extension.  I think most of us who support Rex would just like to see him play his contract out to see what he can do next season with some actual talent on the team, assuming Idzik knows what he's doing (which I doubt).

That's really it..  let him finish out his contract. 

This team is going to look vastly different in 4 months.  In order to flush away Tannys mess Idzik did what he had to do.  50 mil and 12 draft picks is on the horizon. 

Give Rex 1 more year with the Varsity squad and see what happens.  If we don't get to the playoffs next year than I'd be in agreement with everyone to fire his ass.

. SayNoToDMC and bitonti will have to be watched and kept away from sharp objects when Idzik pulls the trigger, and he surely will.

i am aware that this is gonna happen just like the revis trade was gonna happen. that doesn't make it a smart idea. but when it happens I will still root for this team. 

there's a misconception among some fans that the HC picks players. He doesn't, really. He coaches the team and that's a full time job. HE doesn't have time to watch college games or even the other NFL teams that he's not slated to play (for free agents). The HC chimes in around the table in April but he's not the one making these picks. The scouts feed info to the GM, who picks the players. Bringing up Vlad Ducasse as a reason to fire Rex is not accurate. they already fired the guy responsible for Vlad. Similarly, we can't give credit to Mangini for Revis. These draft picks are on the GM not the HC. If you are mad about Brian Winters or Geno Smith ruining the season, that's not on Rex either.

On his somewhat less fat a$$. He will be a DC somewhere eventually, but I would bet that like Joe Walton and Rich Kotite, Rex will NOT sniff another HC job. He just isn't a HC. He lacks the overall skills necessary to build a winning offense, he pats players on the back that he should kick in the pants and while he is media savvy, without John Idzik to rein him in, watch and see how quick he goes back to Bombastic Rex.

Your posting style kind of undermines your credibility.  You froth at the mouth and spew your venom despite the fact that your bullet points are consistently destroyed by logical posters.

I know the rogue white guy uni bomber thing flies with Dbuttman and TomSham but I don't think your doing other Rex haters any favors.

there's a misconception among some fans that the HC picks players. He doesn't, really. He coaches the team and that's a full time job. HE doesn't have time to watch college games or even the other NFL teams that he's not slated to play (for free agents). The HC chimes in around the table in April but he's not the one making these picks. The scouts feed info to the GM, who picks the players. Bringing up Vlad Ducasse as a reason to fire Rex is not accurate. they already fired the guy responsible for Vlad. Similarly, we can't give credit to Mangini for Revis. These draft picks are on the GM not the HC. If you are mad about Brian Winters or Geno Smith ruining the season, that's not on Rex either.

Why do coaches go to scouting combines, Senior Bowl, etc? Just vacation time?

PS-Rex as much admitted watching college tape, as he related the story of how smart he was in finding John Conner. Rex was scouting linebackers, as I recall.

jets fans need to step back, put down the green glasses, and take a real look at the team they support. If you were a great Head coach, Not a Jets fan, and you had choices, you wouldn't want this job. Reasons include: 

-no quarterback or any franchise players to build around (mo?). 

-meddlesome owner who might just sign Tebow when you aren't looking

-meddlesome GM who overrules the HC on lineup decisions.

-high taxes/cost of living

-ridiculous media both in numbers and audacity

-second fiddle to an original NFL franchise (that you share a stadium with) 

-overly negative fanbase (boo-birds will force your hand on key lineup decisions, AND force you to be fired in 5 years if you haven't won a SB)

what's the appeal of this job? other than it's a job, and if you have never been a HC before it's better than nothing. 

You insinuate that this is bad job and has no "appeal" but yet the very Coach you so vehemently support tells us everyday that this is the greatest job in the world and would never want to be any other place.

Hmmm...if everything you say is true, then why hasnt REX resigned yet as no person at any Job for that matter would put up with these working conditions?

My cynical instincts tell me that he wont resign, because this could possibly be his last stop, and no one wants him? But then again, thats being too cynical, right?

I realize that, but is there any precedent?  Coaches aren't really handled that way in the NFL.  If that were the case, I'd probably agree.  Give him the last year of the deal.  But, essentially, you need to make a choice between extension and firing.

That's really it..  let him finish out his contract. 

This team is going to look vastly different in 4 months.  In order to flush away Tannys mess Idzik did what he had to do.  50 mil and 12 draft picks is on the horizon. 

Give Rex 1 more year with the Varsity squad and see what happens.  If we don't get to the playoffs next year than I'd be in agreement with everyone to fire his ass.

This is where I'm at.  I think he did more to warrant playing out his contract than he did to get fired.  I'd like to see what he can with a reloaded team. 

That and there isnt a single name being floated around that really gets me excited.  Plus, I like this coaching staff.  I'd like to bring them all back and see what they can do with some much needed talent. 

Westhoff put this to rest in his latest interview.  Totally puts the blame of the roster on the front office and not Rex.  He made it quite clear the state of the current roster is not on Rex and he too thinks he deserves another year. 

i am aware that this is gonna happen just like the revis trade was gonna happen. that doesn't make it a smart idea. but when it happens I will still root for this team. 

Bit this is what it comes down to- whatever decision is made on Rex- in the end I will support him or the new coach because the Jets are my team.

Archived