Rex Ryan Is Getting Fired (Speculation Thread)

Lizard King

Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?

• Yes
    • No

I realize that, but is there any precedent?  Coaches aren't really handled that way in the NFL.  If that were the case, I'd probably agree.  Give him the last year of the deal.  But, essentially, you need to make a choice between extension and firing.

A decision needs to be made but I dont know why it has to be made this offseason.  He's got a year left, Idzik gave him a pile of sh*t to work with, they overachieved and are still playing really hard.  Why not let him play out the contract next season when you should be able to signifcantly improve the roster.

Is it wise to make decisions based on precedent?

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex Ryan is not head coach material guys. He's an above average defensive coordinator who is pretty much clueless when it comes to the offensive side of the ball. Also, as a few here have stated his STYLE of play is not in sync with what is happening in the game circa 2013.

They want offense and passing for TDs while Rex wants it to go back to Defense Wins Championships and the old ground and pound. The game has changed from when Rex's daddy was prominent in the game. Remember when RBs were picked in the top 5?

Bottom line though is this; 3 years in a row sucking gets a man fired-in ANY job in America. It's time to move on to a guy who HAS been an NFL head coach before and who HAS won and who HAS taken a team to the Super Bowl and preferably even won one or two. Is that guy out there?

Lets see won 2 and "available":

Parcells

Johnson

Lets see won 1 and "available"

Gruden

Cowher

Billick

Dungy

Soon to be available:

Shanahan

It's not in Idzik's best interest to give Rex another tryout year. He's either your coach or he's not.

All logic points to Rex being gone, unless Woody forces Rex onto Idzik for another year.

Idzik knows that this is a HUGE year for him in his career as GM. It is one that can possibly determine whether he has the acumen and ability to do this job in the future.

Now, who is he going to trust in care-taking the players that he handpicks? A coach who was thrust upon him and has difficulty in instituting player change? Or someone who he trusts, has a relationship and shares philosophy?

It is just the way it goes. One can imagine that Idzik and ownership are looking for something of a fresh start and to promote to the fanbase. There is not much promotable in Rex right now

A decision needs to be made but I dont know why it has to be made this offseason.  He's got a year left, Idzik gave him a pile of sh*t to work with, they overachieved and are still playing really hard.  Why not let him play out the contract next season when you should be able to signifcantly improve the roster.

Do you really think REX's agents and lawyers allow him to stay without a contract extension? I cant remember the last time a coach was allowed to stay the full term of their contract, without an extension, can you?

It makes no sense, as I would believe that Rex's connections (Agent and legal team), would insist that he gets an extension or he walks. It just doesnt happen anymore to "play out your contract", I dont think.

What it comes down to in most cases- ownership neeeds to show the fan base it is going to do something to change things around- nature of the head coaching business. Rex had 5 years- more than most in all of sports get.

Do you really think REX's agents and lawyers allow him to stay without a contract extension? I cant remember the last time a coach was allowed to stay the full term of their contract, without an extension, can you?

It makes no sense, as I would believe that Rex's connections (Agent and legal team), would insist that he gets an extension or he walks. It just doesnt happen anymore to "play out your contract", I dont think.

He won't walk, because he would be walking away from guaranteed money

-no quarterback or any franchise players to build around (mo?).

This is true of every HC vacancy save Dallas and (arguably) Washington.

-meddlesome owner who might just sign Tebow when you aren't looking

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=8288993

One of his boldest moves this offseason began taking shape while he sat in an airport with coach Rex Ryan in March. The two were sipping on Ben & Jerry's vanilla milkshakes and preparing to go to North Carolina's pro day — where they'd see their eventual first-round pick Quinton Coples — when the wheels starting spinning in Tannenbaum's mind. It was becoming apparent that Peyton Manning was going to Denver and Tebow would be available.

"I turned to Rex and said, 'What do you think?'" Tannenbaum recalled.

"I thought, 'Wow!'" Ryan said. "I was kind of shocked about it. I didn't know what it was going to take for us to get him, but I knew that with Mike, we would definitely find out."

The two spoke to owner Woody Johnson and new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, who ran the wildcat offense with Miami and knew Tebow from the Senior Bowl a few years earlier. Tebow to the Jets? Even though they still had Sanchez, and just signed him to an extension?

"We were the only four people on the planet who knew about it," Tannenbaum said. "We felt unanimously that this man could help us win football games. That's why we got him. When the price and the risk are reasonable, you have to be opportunistic in this business."

-meddlesome GM who overrules the HC on lineup decisions.

Link?

-high taxes/cost of living

Whoever we hire will be making well into seven figures annually.

-ridiculous media both in numbers and audacity

-second fiddle to an original NFL franchise (that you share a stadium with)

Anyone who cares about either of these things isn't HC material in the first place.

-overly negative fanbase (boo-birds will force your hand on key lineup decisions, AND force you to be fired in 5 years if you haven't won a SB)

Really? Since when? Is it a secret ballot, or roll call? Where do we all meet?

what's the appeal of this job? other than it's a job, and if you have never been a HC before it's better than nothing.

You're right. Rex hung out at Shea as a kid. Let's give him a lifetime contract.

He won't walk, because he would be walking away from guaranteed money

I understand that, but agents and lawyers, like to "force the hand" of their clients, employers. Rex going through an entire season as basically a "lame duck" or "dead man walking" would be just an unmitigated disaster, especially if the team got off to a bad start.

The JETS and REX both need to know the Future of this franchise and having a coach "dangling" for an entire season would be just another way for this franchise to take another step backward.

NO, its my certain opinion that REX either gets extended or gets fired. Playing out his contract would be a terrible decision by BOTH sides.

Got to disagree Bit.  I Like Rex, but said at the time that if it was Rex who was fully responsible for putting Sanchez back in that game at that point, he deserved to be canned.

The season was lost at that moment.   Don't like Sanchez, and am glad he's gone, but he's much better then Smith

I disagree that Sanchez is better than Smith.  I'm not saying Smith is good but I would take him over Sanchez.  I'd prefer to see Matt Simms get a chance btw.  Washington is doing it w/ Kirk Cousins.  I think Simms deserves a shot too (even though I'm already anticipating the "Simms is no Kirk Cousins" responses).

You insinuate that this is bad job and has no "appeal" but yet the very Coach you so vehemently support tells us everyday that this is the greatest job in the world and would never want to be any other place.

Hmmm...if everything you say is true, then why hasnt REX resigned yet as no person at any Job for that matter would put up with these working conditions?

My cynical instincts tell me that he wont resign, because this could possibly be his last stop, and no one wants him? But then again, thats being too cynical, right?

I didn't say it was so terrible that no one would take the job. What i said was if you want some sort of amazing candidate with options (think Bill Cowher, John Gruden, Chip kelly or Bill obrien) that's not gonna happen.  There's no compelling reason to take this job, and without a QB (or picking 1 overall where you can get a QB), the next guy is probably just gonna lose. Cause coaches coach and players play. 

btw Rex won't resign because he has a contract and if the Jets fire him they have to honor that contract. You wouldn't take a year's worth of paychecks to sit at home? 

NO, its my certain opinion that REX either gets extended or gets fired. Playing out his contract would be a terrible decision by BOTH sides.

Agree.

If rex's agent is stupid enough to push for an extension (or it may be a calculated risk), when the Jets are only offering to play the contract out, it could leave the team with the decision to only fire him (if they are not doing that already).

I didn't say it was so terrible that no one would take the job. What i said was if you want some sort of amazing candidate with options (think Bill Cowher, John Gruden, Chip kelly or Bill obrien) that's not gonna happen. 

btw Rex won't resign because he has a contract and if the Jets fire him they have to honor that contract. You wouldn't take a year's worth of paychecks to sit at home? 

See my thoughts on this in another thread.

Usually.  This is a football coach, nothing more.

I don't think killing Idzik serves your point.  Rex isn't being judged solely on this year.  His body of work has been on the decline for some time now.  There are reasons for that, some good, some bad.  But, if this year were simply a try-out, I'd say he's done alright considering what he's got to work with.  It shouldn't be treated that way though.  The hyperbole on both sides of this argument is asinine.  Rex is a solid coach from what we've seen, not amazing, not terrible.  I do believe he's good enough to win a championship with actual talent on the field.  But, I also don't see how you reward him for what we've seen thus far.

Agree.

If rex's agent is stupid enough to push for an extension (or it may be a calculated risk), when the Jets are only offering to play the contract out, it could leave the team with the decision to only fire him (if they are not doing that already).

It would be my guess that Rex's agent has been pushing for an extension ALL this season. That is an agents job, to get his client job security (via a contract) and to get him maximum return (dollars). If Rex's agent hasnt been doing this, then Rex needs to fire his agent and find another one.

it will attract candidates just not good ones. look up the difference between NY tax and Florida tax for example. If the salaries were equal, between cost of living and tax, coaching in Florida is like a 50% raise. it's gonna be retreads like the whizzinator or friends of Idzik with no HC experience. those are your candidates.

by the way since we are talking about realistic candidates, why not Marty? he was hired in the Idzik era, he's a former HC, he's that "offensive minded" coach who has worked with a dozen successful QBs including Farve, Steve Young, Garcia, VIck, Foles etc. And he's already here. Doesn't have to be lured out of college or whatever.

Actually Rex hired MM before Idzik was hired, so one might think if Rex goes so does MM since he wasn't Idzik's guy either.

Lets see won 2 and "available":

Parcells

Johnson

Lets see won 1 and "available"

Gruden

Cowher

Billick

Dungy

Soon to be available:

Shanahan

What a horrible list.   Even if you love Parcells and think he can win without Little Bill, he obviously has trouble keeping focus and will walk before the job is done.  He seems to like the idea of rebuilding a team much more than contending.  Gruden?  Do you watch television?  The guy is a clown.  Johnson and Dungy aren't much better.  Isn't Johnson doing ED commercials? Shanahan?  It is a horror show down here.  

Most of these guys want total control.  It is part of Shanahan's trouble down here.  Do you see Parcells or Cowher letting Idzik "pick the groceries?"

I disagree that Sanchez is better than Smith.  I'm not saying Smith is good but I would take him over Sanchez.  I'd prefer to see Matt Simms get a chance btw.  Washington is doing it w/ Kirk Cousins.  I think Simms deserves a shot too (even though I'm already anticipating the "Simms is no Kirk Cousins" responses).

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the Smith vs Sanchez.

I do however agree with you that I really wish they would give Simms the last two weeks.  Smith is going to be here next season no matter what happens.  It will be up to him to see if he is going to dedicate the entire off season to see if he can develop into an NFL QB.

Simms was horrible at Tennessee.   He had a cannon for an arm, and a good pedigree, but just seemed to be very immature, and, well, he stunk.

When he was still on the roster in camp I was like, C'mon  this guy is a bum.  He showed flashes of having improved.  I suspect he still isn't an NFL QB but I would like to see what he can do with a few full practices before they make the major changes that are going to happen in the offseason.  if he stinks, bye-bye.  He he looks like a QB, who knows maybe they got lucky.

What a horrible list.   Even if you love Parcells and think he can win without Little Bill, he obviously has trouble keeping focus and will walk before the job is done.  He seems to like the idea of rebuilding a team much more than contending.  Gruden?  Do you watch television?  The guy is a clown.  Johnson and Dungy aren't much better.  Isn't Johnson doing ED commercials? Shanahan?  It is a horror show down here.  

Most of these guys want total control.  It is part of Shanahan's trouble down here.  Do you see Parcells or Cowher letting Idzik "pick the groceries?"

I agree this is not a good list.  The one person I might be interested in is Lovie.  

Marvin Lewis did exactly this with the Bengals and ended up staying with the team after his contract expired.   

Rex needs a chance to sacrifice more QB'S against the Giants in pre season, 

and also cut a few guys on offense who he needs, lets cut starters on offense

and pay them, it worked with Cotch,  also when Sanchez comes back strong,

he needs to prove he isn't soft, maybe he can find a new way to get both

Geno and Sanchez out on IR, I'd be impressed if he could do it on the same play,

and I think he is creative enough to do so.

Go Rex !

I was just providing the list. I want Urban Meyer as my first choice, but someone else wants NFL experience with a ring or two preferred.

Archived