Rex Ryan Is Getting Fired (Speculation Thread)

Lizard King

Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its easy to say Fire Rex. However, if you want him fired..who replaces him?

1) Bevell from Seattle?

2) Whisenhunt?

3) WHO ELSE? (Cowher...if you can coax him out from CBS?, Chucky from ESPN??)

Who would you think is available that we should consider?

LL

It's really hard for any fans to know this.

There are guys that the "football guys" like that we just have no way of knowing. For example who would have thought a special teams coach would have made for a very good HC? Supposedly he was very highly thought of by a lot of teams.

There are a few obvious guys, but we just don't have enough access to know.

There aren't any sexy better options. I like the current coaching staff a lot. I'd like to see some consistency and let them all return.

None of the available college coaches impress me at all. The only name that somewhat gets me interested is Jay Gruden.

There aren't any sexy better options. I like the current coaching staff a lot. I'd like to see some consistency and let them all return.

None of the available college coaches impress me at all. The only name that somewhat gets me interested is Jay Gruden.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=331117002

Yeah! Consistently ill-prepared and mediocre!

Was Shaw that QB guru guy? I think if they lt Rex go, we need an O minded HC who will let his D Coordinator run the D show while the HC fixes the issues on O. The O has held this team back for the last 5 years.

LL

I hear this a great deal and I don't see the point.  If you want a coach that is going to only run 1/2 the team there is little reason to fire Rex. Just have the GM concentrate on offensive personnel and force Rex to make due with what he gets on D.  Get solid offensive coaches in place and let them do their job.  Mornhinweg seems good to me and as far as I can tell Lee is thought of highly around the league.  

I hear this a great deal and I don't see the point.  If you want a coach that is going to only run 1/2 the team there is little reason to fire Rex. Just have the GM concentrate on offensive personnel and force Rex to make due with what he gets on D.  Get solid offensive coaches in place and let them do their job.  Mornhinweg seems good to me and as far as I can tell Lee is thought of highly around the league.  

The top minds on either O or D usually are next in line to be HC's. There are very few guys who are Dick LeBeau type who are great O minds and have failed as HC's that are content to stay on as an OC. Therefore if you want the next great O mind, you have a much better chance of getting him as a HC than an OC.

I know the Rex lovers want to say Marty is that guy, but the reality is that he has never proven to be that guy, and I find it curious to say the least that anyone who could have gotten any other offensive opening would have taken the Jets job this past year with a coach on the hot seat and no QB.

And nobody wants a HC to only run 1/2 the team, everyone wants a HC who can actually run the whole team. Unfortunately Rex has shown zero, maybe negative, ability to do this. Most HC's are involved and overseeing both sides, even though they are actually either a D guy or an O guy, not our man baby though.

No Way O'Brien takes the job with the Jets. First, O'Brien and Bellichik are friends...bigtime friends, O'Brien is not pulling a Mangini here. Also, there is a substantial buyout that our owner will not pay to free him from Penn State. I'd say Bevell is probably the odds on choice.

LL

No Way O'Brien takes the job with the Jets. First, O'Brien and Bellichik are friends...bigtime friends, O'Brien is not pulling a Mangini here. Also, there is a substantial buyout that our owner will not pay to free him from Penn State. I'd say Bevell is probably the odds on choice.

LL

If they are such great friends as you say why would a great friend want a great friend of theirs to turn down a great chance to advance their career, make money etc?? 

The people BB truly disliked in NY are long gone.

If you are comparing this to the Mangini situation, he was given his 1st NFL job by BB, was still on staff working for BB, knew about spygate, turned out to be a rat etc

2 very  different circumstances. 

Anyway he will probably go to Houston.

The top minds on either O or D usually are next in line to be HC's. There are very few guys who are Dick LeBeau type who are great O minds and have failed as HC's that are content to stay on as an OC. Therefore if you want the next great O mind, you have a much better chance of getting him as a HC than an OC.

I know the Rex lovers want to say Marty is that guy, but the reality is that he has never proven to be that guy, and I find it curious to say the least that anyone who could have gotten any other offensive opening would have taken the Jets job this past year with a coach on the hot seat and no QB.

And nobody wants a HC to only run 1/2 the team, everyone wants a HC who can actually run the whole team. Unfortunately Rex has shown zero, maybe negative, ability to do this. Most HC's are involved and overseeing both sides, even though they are actually either a D guy or an O guy, not our man baby though.

That's a lot of chatter, but it doesn't generally work.  Most of these hot coordinators don't even run the side they are good at.  Billick's offense?  LOL. It happens plenty.  

Taking a job like the Jets OC job can be good for a guy like Mornhinweg for a number of reasons.  1.  No expectations. None.  2.  If you coach to coach, you will have more of a chance with the Jets roster than with Favre.  I'm sure Brian Schottenheimer preferred coaching in 2006 to 2008.  3.  There was no guarantee the Jets O would be quite this barren when Mornhinweg signed on.  They had opportunities to get guys.  I'm sure if they would have gotten Austin things would have been different.  They were bad, didn't add as much as they'd have liked AND had injuries. 4.  While Rex may be seen as a negative, as an offensive coach  you'd probably appreciate the lack of meddling AND the fact that Rex appears to take the blame when things go wrong.

That's a lot of chatter, but it doesn't generally work.  Most of these hot coordinators don't even run the side they are good at.  Billick's offense?  LOL. It happens plenty.  

Taking a job like the Jets OC job can be good for a guy like Mornhinweg for a number of reasons.  1.  No expectations. None.  2.  If you coach to coach, you will have more of a chance with the Jets roster than with Favre.  I'm sure Brian Schottenheimer preferred coaching in 2006 to 2008.  3.  There was no guarantee the Jets O would be quite this barren when Mornhinweg signed on.  They had opportunities to get guys.  I'm sure if they would have gotten Austin things would have been different.  They were bad, didn't add as much as they'd have liked AND had injuries. 4.  While Rex may be seen as a negative, as an offensive coach  you'd probably appreciate the lack of meddling AND the fact that Rex appears to take the blame when things go wrong.

This is a whole lot of rationalization and Rex apologizing.

I don't think it was that curious at all.  Rex was on the hot seat, the team was locked into Sanchez & Holmes for another year, and they didn't have the cap room to improve the team in the multitude of areas it needed to.

I think he chose the Jets - or at least reason he chose the Jets - is because he could either slip into a HC gig here if he did a good job, or because if he could turn this team into a decent offense he'd get HC offers elsewhere in the event Rex got extended.  The risk to him, of course, is that this is the Jets and he may not have fully understood what he was getting himself into.

If Seattle goes far in playoffs it's tough to hire bevell u can't wait till end of jan to get a head coach cause all the asst coaches u need to hire. So if u take him out where do they go

I think if Bevell is Idzik's guy there's already been plenty of meddling between them.  

People expecting some pass-happy offense from him should prepare themselves for being at or around 32nd in pass attempts, though.

Pot meet kettle.

something something Bitoni something something

I barely even mention Rex here anymore.  He'll either get fired or he won't.  There are good reasons for either IMO.  What that has to do with the fact that hot coordinators don't generally make the best head coaches or why Mornhinweg would take the Jets job is beyond me, but I guess I should be beyond the need to try and figure your rationale at this point.  

I don't think it was that curious at all.  Rex was on the hot seat, the team was locked into Sanchez & Holmes for another year, and they didn't have the cap room to improve the team in the multitude of areas it needed to.

I think he chose the Jets - or at least reason he chose the Jets - is because he could either slip into a HC gig here if he did a good job, or because if he could turn this team into a decent offense he'd get HC offers elsewhere in the event Rex got extended.  The risk to him, of course, is that this is the Jets and he may not have fully understood what he was getting himself into.

I really don't see it like that at all, but who knows.

To me, anyone looking for a job that has options is going to look for the best combo of money and ability to succeed.

I don't know how anyone could have thought this was a place to come and succeed offensively.

With Sanchez, and nothing else at the time, and really no good QB's in the draft, no weapons, and a HC on the hot seat, it seems to me taking this job as OC would be like staying at roach infested hotel, you only do it if you have literally no other options and need to sleep.

And to be clear, I think Marty actually seems competent, and is probably our best OC in over 15 years. I am just not convinced he is anything special like many are making him out to be. I guess following dog sh!t like Sporano and Schitty will do that.

I really don't see it like that at all, but who knows.

To me, anyone looking for a job that has options is going to look for the best combo of money and ability to succeed.

I don't know how anyone could have thought this was a place to come and succeed offensively.

With Sanchez, and nothing else at the time, and really no good QB's in the draft, no weapons, and a HC on the hot seat, it seems to me taking this job as OC would be like staying at roach infested hotel, you only do it if you have literally no other options and need to sleep.

And to be clear, I think Marty actually seems competent, and is probably our best OC in over 15 years. I am just not convinced he is anything special like many are making him out to be. I guess following dog sh!t like Sporano and Schitty will do that.

I think he may have thought it was an easy situation to show clear improvement on offense, even if it's just a breath of fresh air in the playcalling. At some point, though, if you don't have the horses, even the best pre-huddle calls can be returned for a pick-6.

But none of us know his thought process.

I think he may have thought it was an easy situation to show clear improvement on offense, even if it's just a breath of fresh air in the playcalling. At some point, though, if you don't have the horses, even the best pre-huddle calls can be returned for a pick-6.

But none of us know his thought process.

You may be right.

Agree, none of us know.

I am in Philly a lot and the Eagle fans I know have always said Marty was really more of Reid's errand boy than his OC, but I really don't know how true that is.

Tom's dream team.

Let me go on record I am very reluctant to bring in a person that has never been a head coach-Tom

I think that the dangers of that are offset by having coordinators on both sides that have been head coaches.  It didn't work at all with Sparano, but that does not mean it isn't a sound theory. 

You may be right.

Agree, none of us know.

I am in Philly a lot and the Eagle fans I know have always said Marty was really more of Reid's errand boy than his OC, but I really don't know how true that is.

What do those Eagles fans think about why Reid didn't take him along?  The errand boy usually gets taken along unless they get too big for their britches or resent the head cheese taking the glory.  I heard varying reports about Mornhinweg calling the plays, but I'm pretty sure that he did extensively for quite some time.  They seemed to go back and forth on it. 

What do those Eagles fans think about why Reid didn't take him along?  The errand boy usually gets taken along unless they get too big for their britches or resent the head cheese taking the glory.  I heard varying reports about Mornhinweg calling the plays, but I'm pretty sure that he did extensively for quite some time.  They seemed to go back and forth on it. 

One of my buddies is a huge Eagles fan, and is crazy over the top obsessed with all things Eagles, and that includes Reid and even following what Reid did in KC.

He said his understanding is that Reid did not want MM in KC with him, I am not sure how true it is. He said Reid felt he needed pretty much a whole new staff.

You may be right.

Agree, none of us know.

I heard the same thing about Pettine here with the Jets.  That every time the defense fell flat Rex took the playcalling duties away and suddenly the defense was good again.  They were a crappy defense last year, and this year with Pettine (and a fairly loaded defense) they're a FG per game better than 2012.  Not exactly the defensive turnaround the Jets fans saw with our own team from 2008-2009.

And Marty may be just that.  But I've seen enough glimpses of life to the offensive playcalling that I have hope.  There's only so much you can do with the talent (and inexperience) on this roster.  Or maybe he's only ok, but ok is so much better than we've seen that he seems awesome in comparison.

I heard the same thing about Pettine here with the Jets.  That every time the defense fell flat Rex took the playcalling duties away and suddenly the defense was good again.  They were a crappy defense last year, and this year with Pettine (and a fairly loaded defense) they're a FG per game better than 2012.  Not exactly the defensive turnaround the Jets fans saw with our own team from 2008-2009.

And Marty may be just that.  But I've seen enough glimpses of life to the offensive playcalling that I have hope.  There's only so much you can do with the talent (and inexperience) on this roster.  Or maybe he's only ok, but ok is so much better than we've seen that he seems awesome in comparison.

I like Marty, I am not anti-Marty at all. I am just not convinced he is a top flight OC, but I am certainly not saying he isn't either.

I think his play designs are light years ahead of where Schitty was. It seemed like Schitty always had the primary receiver in the vicinity of 2 other WR's so there were always 3-4 defenders right there.

I felt like WR's always struggled to get open under his schemes.

Now even with our mostly dog crap at WR, it seems to me like guys are getting open, they don't always catch the ball, but they do get open.

Sporano was so God awful that any 15 year old playing Madden regularly could probably do better.

I like Marty, I am not anti-Marty at all. I am just not convinced he is a top flight OC, but I am certainly not saying he isn't either.

I think his play designs are light years ahead of where Schitty was. It seemed like Schitty always had the primary receiver in the vicinity of 2 other WR's so there were always 3-4 defenders right there.

I felt like WR's always struggled to get open under his schemes.

Now even with our mostly dog crap at WR, it seems to me like guys are getting open, they don't always catch the ball, but they do get open.

Sporano was so God awful that any 15 year old playing Madden regularly could probably do better.

Personally I don't think it's possible for anyone to look like a top flight OC with a rookie Geno Smith throwing to these receivers, and on top of that his bookend left tackle forgetting why the Jets pay him so much.

Archived