Rex Ryan Is Getting Fired (Speculation Thread)

Lizard King

Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Will Rex Ryan return as the Head Coach of the NY Jets after this season?

• Yes
    • No

Personally I don't think it's possible for anyone to look like a top flight OC with a rookie Geno Smith throwing to these receivers, and on top of that his bookend left tackle forgetting why the Jets pay him so much.

I completely agree, Im not looking for that this year. 

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my buddies is a huge Eagles fan, and is crazy over the top obsessed with all things Eagles, and that includes Reid and even following what Reid did in KC.

He said his understanding is that Reid did not want MM in KC with him, I am not sure how true it is. He said Reid felt he needed pretty much a whole new staff.

I'm more interested in the why.  I would imagine that MM would have followed if invited. He kicked Pederson and Nagy up.  Most of the offensive staff was with Philly in 2012.  I had heard that Reid wanted to call plays again and there was no reason/it was insulting to bring Mornhinweg along and not let him call plays.  Almost the entire defensive staff is new, but I don't think the D was that hot since Johnson. 

I don't care if they come from an offensive or defensive background

I want the executive skill set

the HC is the deciderer

he has to swing the axe, hold players accountable, and make quick decisions at the end of the game

that's what I will be looking for

The biggest issue this off-season shouldn't be Rex's future.

Hell, it's not even in the top 5 for issues that this team faces.

This team has almost NO TALENT on the roster. That, and only that, is what will determine how much we improve next year. If you don't make the upgrades that this roster needs, no coach is going to find success here. 

If you're asking me i'd say Mark Helfrich, David Shaw or Gus Malzahn. Not some retread like Wissenhunt or a bad OC who was going to get fired untill Russell Wilson fell in his lap. 

i dont think we have much of a shot at any of those guys. But yea i dont want bevell either. I dont see to many options but i guess thats why woody pays search agencies the big bucks

I'm more interested in the why. I would imagine that MM would have followed if invited. He kicked Pederson and Nagy up. Most of the offensive staff was with Philly in 2012. I had heard that Reid wanted to call plays again and there was no reason/it was insulting to bring Mornhinweg along and not let him call plays. Almost the entire defensive staff is new, but I don't think the D was that hot since Johnson.

My buddy said that is the face saving public version, but the beat guys all said the two were not on the same page anymore.

Who knows.

This team has almost NO TALENT on the roster. That, and only that, is what will determine how much we improve next year. If you don't make the upgrades that this roster needs, no coach is going to find success here.

While I don't disagree , I still think you have to decide whether Rex is the guy you want coaching/developing the talent they need to bring in .

While I don't disagree , I still think you have to decide whether Rex is the guy you want coaching/developing the talent they need to bring in .

Really? Because you've made a sh*tload of posts disagreeing with that premise over the last few days. Something about Rex apologists, blah, blah, blech.

Which games did Rex coach out a win? Honest question. How many games were won because of something Rex did specifically as a coach?

That's not an honest question at all. You know it doesn't work that way. I can ask the same question about any team in the league, except you don't watch every game in the league.

I know they went to back to back AFC championship games and yet I can't recall something specific Rex did that got them there either.

That's not an honest question at all. You know it doesn't work that way. I can ask the same question about any team in the league, except you don't watch every game in the league.

I know they went to back to back AFC championship games and yet I can't recall something specific Rex did that got them there either.

5-4. In the drivers seat for playoffs. Coming off a bye week to travel to a lesser Bills team. Get thoroughly embarrassed as they weren't ready nor prepared to play. He deserves to go. Period.

3 was terrible. 4 was worse. 5 only seems better because the main characters were switched out.

year 4 was doubling down on awful with Sporano. But in year 3 you saw all of the characteristics of a lazy head coach. Rex needed to get to the playoffs and probably win a game to save his job this season.

Only case scenario where I see him staying is if he coaches out the last year of his contract without an extra year added on.

year 4 was doubling down on awful with Sporano. But in year 3 you saw all of the characteristics of a lazy head coach. Rex needed to get to the playoffs and probably win a game to save his job this season.

Only case scenario where I see him staying is if he coaches out the last year of his contract without an extra year added on.

Hmmm, that's a good debate. 3 was awful because it showed that the whole organization thought it arrived--they swapped out all the solid citizens with outright punks, they allllll talked non-stop, then they went out and the wheels fell off after the Philly game. 4 was a vast wasteland of organizational idiocy, highlighted by Sparano and Tebow.

Also, no way will Rex coach on a one-year deal. It'd be a slap in the face to him, Idzik, and every assistant on the team. He's either the guy or he's not. The one-year option is something that people made up who think Rex "earned it" by not going 4-12 this year, but who acknowledge that Rex kinda sucks.

Hmmm, that's a good debate. 3 was awful because it showed that the whole organization thought it arrived--they swapped out all the solid citizens with outright punks, they allllll talked non-stop, then they went out and the wheels fell off after the Philly game. 4 was a vast wasteland of organizational idiocy, highlighted by Sparano and Tebow.

The owner agrees, and would probably throw in the Sanchez extension. That's why Sporano, Tebow, and Tannenbaum are all gone.

Also, no way will Rex coach on a one-year deal. It'd be a slap in the face to him, Idzik, and every assistant on the team. He's either the guy or he's not. The one-year option is something that people made up who think Rex "earned it" by not going 4-12 this year, but who acknowledge that Rex kinda sucks.

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

I think Rex will step right into another head coaching job if he's fired, you think he'll get a DC job or wind up on ESPN. But neither of us really know the market. Idzik wouldn't be slapping Rex in the face by offering him another $4-5M guaranteed to coach another year, though. He'd be acknowledging the fact that he gave Rex sh*t to work with this year (the only acknowledgement, really), and that it's worth giving him a shot to work with whatever he can put together next year. From Rex's end, another $4-5M guaranteed is no slap in the face - it's another $4-5M, guaranteed.

I brought up the one year extension option early in the year, and still think it's a viable option for both sides.

The owner agrees, and would probably throw in the Sanchez extension. That's why Sporano, Tebow, and Tannenbaum are all gone.

I think Rex will step right into another head coaching job if he's fired, you think he'll get a DC job or wind up on ESPN. But neither of us really know the market. Idzik wouldn't be slapping Rex in the face by offering him another $4-5M guaranteed to coach another year, though. He'd be acknowledging the fact that he gave Rex sh*t to work with this year (the only acknowledgement, really), and that it's worth giving him a shot to work with whatever he can put together next year. From Rex's end, another $4-5M guaranteed is no slap in the face - it's another $4-5M, guaranteed.

I brought up the one year extension option early in the year, and still think it's a viable option for both sides.

Not a chance.

I know that's your hope.

In reality, yes, but its also my hope that they either extend him or Fire him, as a 1 year lame duck coach would just make this team even more of a zoo, a comedy show, and a feeding ground for the media.

Either end this Charade or extend him, but another year of Fire REx, no dont Fire Rex, wait he went 9-7 with garbage, no he had a great team , extend him. STOP already and make a decision.

1 year extension just keeps the wound open.

Thank God Idzik is here to restore sanity.

Agreed we don't know how Rex is viewed in the inner circles, but if he gets an offer anywhere, that one is preferable to some show-me deal that makes him beg for his job. He'd be crazy to take it. Hell, ESPN would hand him $2 mil per to squawk at a desk for four hours a week.

In reality, yes, but its also my hope that they either extend him or Fire him, as a 1 year lame duck coach would just make this team even more of a zoo, a comedy show, and a feeding ground for the media.

Either end this Charade or extend him, but another year of Fire REx, no dont Fire Rex, wait he went 9-7 with garbage, no he had a great team , extend him. STOP already and make a decision.1 year extension just keeps the wound open.

Nothing could really matter to me less, but the one year extension takes the lame-duck thing out of the equation. The Jets could do (and have done) a lot worse at head coach than Rex, and Idzik may actually see that. Enough to give him a shot with some talent to work with. It'd be a level-headed decision.

Nothing could really matter to me less, but the one year extension takes the lame-duck thing out of the equation. The Jets could do (and have done) a lot worse at head coach than Rex, and Idzik may actually see that. Enough to give him a shot with some talent to work with. It'd be a level-headed decision.

We shall see but I put the chances at about 20-1.

The level headed decision is either 1. Give him a three-year extension with the hope that the organizational restructure Idzik is implementing shields Rex from everything but coaching defense, or 2. Fire him and hire a head coach you believe to be a better administrator. Giving Rex a one-year deal just reinforces the idea that the Jets are disfunctional from the top down.

Thank God Idzik is here to restore sanity.

Lol, let's hope.

Agreed we don't know how Rex is viewed in the inner circles, but if he gets an offer anywhere, that one is preferable to some show-me deal that makes him beg for his job. He'd be crazy to take it. Hell, ESPN would hand him $2 mil per to squawk at a desk for four hours a week.

The man loves to coach. You or I would take $2M to work fours hours a week in a heartbeat, but Rex loves to coach. Given the option, I strongly believe he'd take the Jets' offer. I don't think he'd even pause to really think about it.

The man loves to coach. You or I would take $2M to work fours hours a week in a heartbeat, but Rex loves to coach. Given the option, I strongly believe he'd take the Jets' offer. I don't think he'd even pause to really think about it.

IMO, you can't take half-measures with your head coach. He has to be The Guy. A one year deal makes him the interim. It's messy. IF Idzik wants to keep him, the minimum you throw at him is an additional two years.

The level headed decision is either 1. Give him a three-year extension with the hope that the organizational restructure Idzik is implementing shields Rex from everything but coaching defense, or 2. Fire him and hire a head coach you believe to be a better administrator. Giving Rex a one-year deal just reinforces the idea that the Jets are disfunctional from the top down.

The one year deal is the jury's still out deal. It makes sense for the GM, if he doesn't have another candidate already in hand. It makes sense for the owner who already likes the coach. And it makes sense for the coach who loves coaching to take another $4-5M to do what he loves doing. It gives the GM breathing room, the coach some extra cash, and all without tying the owner into a huge money guarantee that maybe he isn't even willing to commit to at this time.

Whatever dysfunctional reinforcement thing you have conjured up really doesn't matter. At all. It's business.

IMO, you can't take half-measures with your head coach. He has to be The Guy. A one year deal makes him the interim. It's messy. IF Idzik wants to keep him, the minimum you throw at him is an additional two years.

I agree and it is analagous to your FRANCHISE QB and what the Bears will go through with Cutler. You just dont tag your GUY, just like you dont "tag" your head coach.

They are either "your guy" and you traet them as such, or you say, Adios and good luck in your next gig.

Archived