Rex vs. Bellichick Record Comparison: 78 Games Each

Lizard King

There is no way Rex doesn't go back to Bledsoe. His weird, distorted interpretation of loyalty would forbid it. He would have had Brady hand it off twenty times per game, then shoehorned Bledsoe back into the lineup to avoid hurting his feelings.

#science

Did I do this right?

And BTW, Belichick had Brady handing it off about 30x per game, so your assessment, apparently, is Rex would have him hand it off far less.

Great job?  No.

As I said above and the points you covered, Belichick was far from perfect in Cleveland.  He made a ton of mistakes no arguments.

The only point I will argue is the mess he took over.  The Browns, were not this years Chiefs (e.g. 2-14 team w/6 Pro Bowlers).  He had one probowler.  The Browns had 13 new starters in Belichick's first year, 8 on D. 

Again, agreed with all his mistakes in Cleveland, but he did turn a bad team around.

Nice way to to gloss over his failure with virtually every draft pick that wasn't #2 in the country.  I read here that it's all about failing to develop players and not whether or not they could actually play at the NFL level.  Like failing to develop a QB in a pool of Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith (but only given 1 rookie season to develop him), Tim Tebow, Kellen Clemens, Mark Brunell, Matt Simms, and Greg McElroy.  

I'm not even saying that Rex should return (though it looks like he will as of today).  But the list, to many, of such obvious "development" failures on Ryan's end and the rationalizing of "you have to look at it from this narrow point of view" when it's Belichick, is hypocritical beyond belief.  

Also, the Browns team BB took over was far better on paper than their record indicated.  In the pre-FA NFL they were 1 season removed from a 9-6-1 team that beat up Marv's Bills in the playoffs and were neck & neck with Denver in the AFCCG entering the 4th Q.  The team BB took over was 1 season removed from that.  This was not your run-of-the-mill 3-win team BB took over.  The '90 Browns were not the wasteland of non-talent that it's fictitiously made out to be 20+ years later.  

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#science

Did I do this right?

No, I think it's entirely plausible that Rex would bring along a scrappy sixth-round quarterback to replace his first overall pick, fringe HOF injured quarterback because he has no history of showing absurd-to-delusion amounts of loyalty to his quarterback.

After the Cleveland game Rex is now one game ahead of the pace set by BB. I'm sold, keep Rex forever since he is clearly BETTER than the best coach in football. Naw, forget that, I still HATE Rex Ryan the HALF HC of the NY Jets, At least until Black Monday.

No, I think it's entirely plausible that Rex would bring along a scrappy sixth-round quarterback to replace his first overall pick, fringe HOF injured quarterback because he has no history of showing absurd-to-delusion amounts of loyalty to his quarterback.

Kind of hard to say since the best QB on the Jets' rosters over the last 5 years was quite arguably Mark Sanchez.  

And Belichick didn't bring Brady along until Bledsoe had a collapsed lung.  Bledsoe was the incumbent making the big bucks so Bledsoe got the job.  Twice out of two times until Mo Lewis did something about it.  They started 0-2 with Bledsoe, after finishing 6-10 the prior year with him, and despite it being Brady's first time starting (as a 2nd-year QB drafted in round 6), they were a winning team with him (and putting points on the board as well as him being a generally popular player).  It wasn't a no-brainer move, hindsight notwithstanding, but it's not like there were maybe 2 people on planet earth - BB being one of them - that would have gone with the smart, dirt-cheap, winning kid over the dopey, losing, expensive guy.

BB also "failed to develop" QBs Kevin O'Connell and Kliff Klingsbury.  Seems to me the developable guys developed and the ones who were not developable didn't.  Belichick is a top coach, and I'm quite sure he had a significant hand in developing Brady, but it's not like Brady was some no-talent nothing otherwise destined for failure just because on draft day he was scrawny & was thought to have a non-cannon (or whatever the reasons were for him dropping so low).  

Rex isn't on Belichick's level as a HC, and maybe not as a DC either, but pointing to this player or that player as not being developed, when one can literally do that for every great HC, is weak.  If there was some long line of players that were garbage in NY and then went on to become super-studs away from Rex, it would then be a compelling argument.

Kind of hard to say since the best QB on the Jets' rosters over the last 5 years was quite arguably Mark Sanchez.  

And Belichick didn't bring Brady along until Bledsoe had a collapsed lung.  Bledsoe was the incumbent making the big bucks so Bledsoe got the job.  Twice out of two times until Mo Lewis did something about it.  They started 0-2 with Bledsoe, after finishing 6-10 the prior year with him, and despite it being Brady's first time starting (as a 2nd-year QB drafted in round 6), they were a winning team with him (and putting points on the board as well as him being a generally popular player).  It wasn't a no-brainer move, hindsight notwithstanding, but it's not like there were maybe 2 people on planet earth - BB being one of them - that would have gone with the smart, dirt-cheap, winning kid over the dopey, losing, expensive guy.

BB also "failed to develop" QBs Kevin O'Connell and Kliff Klingsbury.  Seems to me the developable guys developed and the ones who were not developable didn't.  Belichick is a top coach, and I'm quite sure he had a significant hand in developing Brady, but it's not like Brady was some no-talent nothing otherwise destined for failure just because on draft day he was scrawny & was thought to have a non-cannon (or whatever the reasons were for him dropping so low).  

Rex isn't on Belichick's level as a HC, and maybe not as a DC either, but pointing to this player or that player as not being developed, when one can literally do that for every great HC, is weak.  If there was some long line of players that were garbage in NY and then went on to become super-studs away from Rex, it would then be a compelling argument.

Sorry, But you just cant convince any of us "anti-Rex" people , given how loyal and often, he ran out arguably one of the worst highest drafted Qb's in NFL history, that Rex wouldn't have immediately gone back to Bledsoe in that situation.

Every Rex decision it seems is completely based on LOYALTY (and I was finally convinced of this without a doubt, given the ED REED move), so I'm sorry but Rex's history dictates that he would have gone back to a decent Starting QB in Bledsoe, as soon as he could pick up a football again.

#science

Did I do this right?

And BTW, Belichick had Brady handing it off about 30x per game, so your assessment, apparently, is Rex would have him hand it off far less.

Nice way to to gloss over his failure with virtually every draft pick that wasn't #2 in the country.  I read here that it's all about failing to develop players and not whether or not they could actually play at the NFL level.  Like failing to develop a QB in a pool of Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith (but only given 1 rookie season to develop him), Tim Tebow, Kellen Clemens, Mark Brunell, Matt Simms, and Greg McElroy.  

I'm not even saying that Rex should return (though it looks like he will as of today).  But the list, to many, of such obvious "development" failures on Ryan's end and the rationalizing of "you have to look at it from this narrow point of view" when it's Belichick, is hypocritical beyond belief.  

Also, the Browns team BB took over was far better on paper than their record indicated.  In the pre-FA NFL they were 1 season removed from a 9-6-1 team that beat up Marv's Bills in the playoffs and were neck & neck with Denver in the AFCCG entering the 4th Q.  The team BB took over was 1 season removed from that.  This was not your run-of-the-mill 3-win team BB took over.  The '90 Browns were not the wasteland of non-talent that it's fictitiously made out to be 20+ years later.  

Sperm there is only so many ways to say he did not do a "great job" or "was far from perfect" as the HC of CB.

And while the team was one season removed from 9-6-1, the Brows were merely a few months removed from a 3-13 season.  The team got old and was horrible.  Again, Belichick gutted the D and a 3-13 team that was out scored by 234 points (14.6 a game), went 6-10 and was out scored by 5 points.  A team that lost 7 games by 7 points or less. 

Again, for the 1000000th time in discussing Belichick's Browns tenure, he was not perfect.  He made a lot of mistakes.  However, his coaching brilliance that he has displayed through all his NFL stops was on display there.  And there is no doubt, his New England tenure has benefited from his Cleveland mistakes.  He admits as much.. 

Sorry, But you just cant convince any of us "anti-Rex" people , given how loyal and often, he ran out arguably one of the worst highest drafted Qb's in NFL history, that Rex wouldn't have immediately gone back to Bledsoe in that situation.

Every Rex decision it seems is completely based on LOYALTY (and I was finally convinced of this without a doubt, given the ED REED move), so I'm sorry but Rex's history dictates that he would have gone back to a decent Starting QB in Bledsoe, as soon as he could pick up a football again.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, as your mind is 100% made up.  But there is nothing to base it on since there is no history of putting a talented and very productive QB back on the bench while the veteran plods along.  

Ed Reed is a veteran DB, who he knew, brought in while our secondary was (by far) the weakest part of the team and while we were still in playoff contention.  It is not the same situation by any means.  It's a different position and he knew Reed well.  In NE, Bledsoe wouldn't have been one of "his" guys and there would have been no loyalty to him.  If anything, quite the opposite, as Bledsoe was the guy he inherited and Brady was the guy he drafted.  

There are numerous reasons to want Rex replaced.  Many of them are justified and that I agree with wholeheartedly.  But something like this is not only unprovable, but there's nothing to indicate that would have happened.  There were no "WOW!" players on the bench while veterans plodded the team along, particularly at QB.  And more than just the stats, Brady injected life and energy into that then-lifeless Pats team.  You can want to think that Rex (or even that most) HC's would have benched his own guy over the inherited veteran, but that doesn't make it so.

Sperm there is only so many ways to say he did not do a "great job" or "was far from perfect" as the HC of CB.

And while the team was one season removed from 9-6-1, the Brows were merely a few months removed from a 3-13 season.  The team got old and was horrible.  Again, Belichick gutted the D and a 3-13 team that was out scored by 234 points (14.6 a game), went 6-10 and was out scored by 5 points.  A team that lost 7 games by 7 points or less. 

Again, for the 1000000th time in discussing Belichick's Browns tenure, he was not perfect.  He made a lot of mistakes.  However, his coaching brilliance that he has displayed through all his NFL stops was on display there.  And there is no doubt, his New England tenure has benefited from his Cleveland mistakes.  He admits as much.. 

What I'm reading in this thread is a bunch of rationalization as to why his failures with Cleveland were better than Rex's failures with the Jets.  And it's all based on the phenomenally-successful (cheating) head coach that Belichick would someday become. If his head coaching career ended in Cleveland none of these hindsight rationalizations would exist.  They'd just say he sucked.  3 losing seasons, then an 11-win season, then another losing season. 

The team was not far removed from its prior success and that is the reason Belichick's predecessor (and his interim replacement) were shown the door.  It's because more was expected with that roster.  The only real "name" player they lost the year Belichick took over was Ozzie and he was old and a shadow of his old self anyway.  A lot of the rest of the team was still intact and they were not old.

What I'm reading in this thread is a bunch of rationalization as to why his failures with Cleveland were better than Rex's failures with the Jets. And it's all based on the phenomenally-successful (cheating) head coach that Belichick would someday become. If his head coaching career ended in Cleveland none of these hindsight rationalizations would exist. They'd just say he sucked. 3 losing seasons, then an 11-win season, then another losing season.

The team was not far removed from its prior success and that is the reason Belichick's predecessor (and his interim replacement) were shown the door. It's because more was expected with that roster. The only real "name" player they lost the year Belichick took over was Ozzie and he was old and a shadow of his old self anyway. A lot of the rest of the team was still intact and they were not old.

While I don't disagree with you, many jet fans are acting like Bellichecks failures in Cle are a reason to keep Rex.

This is on par with saying we should keep Sanchez because Terry Bradshaw eventually won 4 Super Bowls.

And Belichick didn't bring Brady along until Bledsoe had a collapsed lung. Bledsoe was the incumbent making the big bucks so Bledsoe got the job. Twice out of two times until Mo Lewis did something about it. They started 0-2 with Bledsoe, after finishing 6-10 the prior year with him, and despite it being Brady's first time starting (as a 2nd-year QB drafted in round 6), they were a winning team with him (and putting points on the board as well as him being a generally popular player). It wasn't a no-brainer move, hindsight notwithstanding, but it's not like there were maybe 2 people on planet earth - BB being one of them - that would have gone with the smart, dirt-cheap, winning kid over the dopey, losing, expensive guy.

BB also "failed to develop" QBs Kevin O'Connell and Kliff Klingsbury. Seems to me the developable guys developed and the ones who were not developable didn't. Belichick is a top coach, and I'm quite sure he had a significant hand in developing Brady, but it's not like Brady was some no-talent nothing otherwise destined for failure just because on draft day he was scrawny & was thought to have a non-cannon (or whatever the reasons were for him dropping so low).

Rex isn't on Belichick's level as a HC, and maybe not as a DC either, but pointing to this player or that player as not being developed, when one can literally do that for every great HC, is weak. If there was some long line of players that were garbage in NY and then went on to become super-studs away from Rex, it would then be a compelling argument.

This is word salad, unless you're trying to say that 1. The head coach is powerless to develop the players that show up to his camp, 2. Tannenbaum drafted good players during the Mangini Era, but for some reason stopped doing so when Rex came aboard, or 3. Both.

While I don't disagree with you, many jet fans are acting like Bellichecks failures in Cle are a reason to keep Rex.

This is on par with saying we should keep Sanchez because Terry Bradshaw eventually won 4 Super Bowls.

Agree.

If an obvious improvement is available to replace Rex, then I'm all for it.  If it's just going to be some guy Idzik knows who is as likely to be worse than Rex as better, I'm not.  No matter what, I am not in favor of extending Rex beyond 2014 at this time.  Not unless Woody is willing to eat the years 2015 and beyond if 2014 is another failure.  He doesn't seem to be willing to eat multiple years at millions per, so I"m not in favor of Rex getting an extension if he's brought back. 

He has a year remaining.  If he comes back and does such an awesome job that he's earned an extension, that can be addressed mid-season or after the season's over.  He loves the Jets and loves Woody and isn't going to test the waters if Woody makes him an offer at any time in 2014 (or in January of 2015).  If he can get his team to rally behind his lame-duck-ness with 2 games remaining this season he can do the same with a full year remaining in 2014.

I don't buy the whole thing that he needs more years or the players won't listen to him in a lame-duck season.  

Vince Lombardi sucked as Redskins coach. Lombardi=Rex.

Agree.

If an obvious improvement is available to replace Rex, then I'm all for it. If it's just going to be some guy Idzik knows who is as likely to be worse than Rex as better, I'm not. No matter what, I am not in favor of extending Rex beyond 2014 at this time. Not unless Woody is willing to eat the years 2015 and beyond if 2014 is another failure. He doesn't seem to be willing to eat multiple years at millions per, so I"m not in favor of Rex getting an extension if he's brought back.

He has a year remaining. If he comes back and does such an awesome job that he's earned an extension, that can be addressed mid-season or after the season's over. He loves the Jets and loves Woody and isn't going to test the waters if Woody makes him an offer at any time in 2014 (or in January of 2015). If he can get his team to rally behind his lame-duck-ness with 2 games remaining this season he can do the same with a full year remaining in 2014.

I don't buy the whole thing that he needs more years or the players won't listen to him in a lame-duck season.

I agree, I see no way Idzik makes a move with Rex unless he either thinks very low of Rex or he has a guy he thinks very highly of.

I think it's a moot point anyway because I am 95% sure Rex will be back.

I agree, I see no way Idzik makes a move with Rex unless he either thinks very low of Rex or he has a guy he thinks very highly of.

I think it's a moot point anyway because I am 95% sure Rex will be back.

Even if he's back, whatever the reason (Idzik's hand-picked guy isn't available until next year, Woody steps in again, etc.), IMO he's already got a contract.  3 consecutive non-winning seasons doesn't earn an extension. 

Here's the danger, if the HC savior is not just sitting out there.  You bring in a new guy and he's no better than Rex.  Keeping Rex for 1 more year (even if it's predetermined failure as you feel it would be) is not the same as signing on for the wrong guy for 3+ years.  A new coach even worse than Rex isn't getting replaced after just a failed 2014 season.  Rex, after a failed 2014 season, would be replaced.

If a new, better HC is available, I'm all for it and (even if not instantaneously) Rex's most fervent supporters would be as well.  In the end, everyone just wants a winner.  I wonder (or used to, anyway) what might have been with those same 09-10 teams with a real asset at QB who makes everyone around him better, but that ship has long since sailed.  

This is word salad, unless you're trying to say that 1. The head coach is powerless to develop the players that show up to his camp, 2. Tannenbaum drafted good players during the Mangini Era, but for some reason stopped doing so when Rex came aboard, or 3. Both.

Tannenbaum drafted a motherload of terrible players with Mangini.  You make it sound like we got nothing but studs from his drafts.  Vernon Gholston, Dustin Keller, Kellen Clemens, Anthony Schlegel, Eric Smith... these guys were awful. Vernon Gholson, the Tannenbaum-Mangini dream OLB pick, was one of the biggest busts in NFL history.  

Others, like Ferguson I'm sorry but he was and is overrated for a top-4 overall pick.  Solid player, but not THAT solid, and he's already on the downside of his career by age 30.  

Mangold was an easy pick for a team that had no center.  The luck involved was that no one took him right before we picked.  And he's a freaking center anyway.  

As much as one can point to a great player like Revis, it's not like there have been Revis-equals all over every draft but the stupid Rex/Tannenbaum combo couldn't identify them.  Harris was a welcome replacement for the easily-pushed-around, and also overrated, Vilma, but he dropped off a cliff (coincidence or not, but it happened right after he got paid). 

Mangini may have had an ok eye for college talent, but he didn't have a great eye.  Look at the stiffs they brought in in Cleveland under his watch.  Did Mangini suddenly forget how to draft players once he was away from Tannenbaum & Bradway? 

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, as your mind is 100% made up.  But there is nothing to base it on since there is no history of putting a talented and very productive QB back on the bench while the veteran plods along.  

Ed Reed is a veteran DB, who he knew, brought in while our secondary was (by far) the weakest part of the team and while we were still in playoff contention.  It is not the same situation by any means.  It's a different position and he knew Reed well.  In NE, Bledsoe wouldn't have been one of "his" guys and there would have been no loyalty to him.  If anything, quite the opposite, as Bledsoe was the guy he inherited and Brady was the guy he drafted.  

There are numerous reasons to want Rex replaced.  Many of them are justified and that I agree with wholeheartedly.  But something like this is not only unprovable, but there's nothing to indicate that would have happened.  There were no "WOW!" players on the bench while veterans plodded the team along, particularly at QB.  And more than just the stats, Brady injected life and energy into that then-lifeless Pats team.  You can want to think that Rex (or even that most) HC's would have benched his own guy over the inherited veteran, but that doesn't make it so.

We have seen over and over that Wrecks out of loyalty goes back to his starter no matter what. And he WILL NOT channge QBs except when it's totally pathetic. And even then only temporarily and hestitantly.McElory and Simms get 5 inutes and then back to the bench. Simply he is not going to ride the hot hand like the Brady move, and he is not giving him a shot because he will have Bledsoe back in there no matter what.I know that the the idea of a displinarian like Mangini is no longer viable, but Ryan goes way too far in the direction of players' coach at the expense of his team.

Can anyone explain why with Smith sucking balls all midseason Simms doesn't get one game? One game in this sheetstrom mess of a season? There is no other reason than Wrecks and his BS loyalty. Which is also why we have seen Reed handed a job despite being totally done-loyalty.And even then he left Reed out there vs. Carolian despite eff up after eff up. A HC cannot be so loyal to players who can no longer or will never do the job.

I ripped this from PFT. Some surprising numbers. For those statistical purists, a valid sample consists of 32 observations. 

Through their first 78 games as head coach:

Dumb Rex Ryan: 39-39

Genius Bill Belichick: 35-43

Rule: no quarterback, no win.

Also this:

Belichick’s record with Tom Brady: 146-43 (.772)

Belichick’s record without Tom Brady: 51-62 (.451)

P.S. The thing that’s so compelling about Belichick’s record *without* Brady is that there’s a very big sample of it (113 games, or basically 7 full seasons), so it’s that much more reliable.

Also, contrary to popular opinion, Belichick’s poor career record without Brady is not simply a function of what happened in Cleveland. By way of example:

Belichick in Cleveland: 36-44 (.450)

Belichick in New England *without* Brady: 15-18 (.454)

Virtually identical winning percentages.

Very interesting indeed although I would play devil's advocate and say the year with cassel at the helm showed that New England belly a much different coach than Cleveland belly.

Even if he's back, whatever the reason (Idzik's hand-picked guy isn't available until next year, Woody steps in again, etc.), IMO he's already got a contract. 3 consecutive non-winning seasons doesn't earn an extension.

Here's the danger, if the HC savior is not just sitting out there. You bring in a new guy and he's no better than Rex. Keeping Rex for 1 more year (even if it's predetermined failure as you feel it would be) is not the same as signing on for the wrong guy for 3+ years. A new coach even worse than Rex isn't getting replaced after just a failed 2014 season. Rex, after a failed 2014 season, would be replaced.

If a new, better HC is available, I'm all for it and (even if not instantaneously) Rex's most fervent supporters would be as well. In the end, everyone just wants a winner. I wonder (or used to, anyway) what might have been with those same 09-10 teams with a real asset at QB who makes everyone around him better, but that ship has long since sailed.

The problem I see is that if you don't interview these guys, you may miss the next great guy. And you cannot interview with Rex here.

Overall, while I would be very disappointed if Rex is back, I can live with it on his current contract, assuming this is really Idziks call, and not Woody. An extension would push me over the edge for the reasons you mention.

At the end if the day I just want the franchise to start making smarter decisions. They won't always work, but they have a better chance of working than the dumb decisions they have been making since, well, forever.

Very interesting indeed although I would play devil's advocate and say the year with cassel at the helm showed that New England belly a much different coach than Cleveland belly.

Bellicheck admitted he learned a lot from his Cle failures.

He got lucky, but is also one if the smartest football people in the history of the game.

Because he got better in NE has absolutely zero predictive value of Rex moving forward. There area my, many more guys who were not so great that never became great.

Just like QB. There are a handful of guys who sucked early that became good to great QBs, but there are many, many more who stayed sucky.

Yes Sperm's suggestion that Rex just play out his remaining contract would be  a compromise to the pro and anti Rex groups. If he did well he gets rewarded if he fails again he gets let go. 

We know compromises are not part of society nowadays though.

Yes Sperm's suggestion that Rex just play out his remaining contract would be a compromise to the pro and anti Rex groups. If he did well he gets rewarded if he fails again he gets let go.

As long as Idzik does not think he risks losing a much better HC, that is fine.

But what would really suck is if we lose his guy because the fans want Rex back, and that guy goes on to be great and we are stuck with the man baby.

Another thing to note: it's extremely difficult to grow a quarterback when the rest of the offense is a septic tank. Brady was a beneficiary of stepping into an offense pre-built for Bledsoe. Romo stepped into a pre-built offense. Peyton had Marvin Harrison. Aaron Rodgers walked into an offense built for Favre. More often than not, the big QBs start out playing in offenses that already have talent. When they don't, they develop the bad habits and start seeing ghosts and it gets to the point where it's impossible to convince them they can play in the NFL. So, yes, Brady benefitted from Belichick building up the offense.

Thats not true if you watched Bradys first season.

Game manager - dinking and dunking down the field. That wasnt Bledsoes game at all.

Yes Sperm's suggestion that Rex just play out his remaining contract would be  a compromise to the pro and anti Rex groups. If he did well he gets rewarded if he fails again he gets let go. 

It just doesnt happen this way (Yeah, I know, Marvin Lewis). You just cant be a lame duck coach. Every organization wants certainty, they want to know that they have the right guy, they want to be able to put all their confidence and support behind the guy, and this just cant be done if your a lame duck.

Its like someone suggested they "just tag" Jay Cutler. You dont tag your FRANCHISE QB, for the same raesons as above,

No, REX either gets extended or gets whacked. Its that simple.

It just doesnt happen this way (Yeah, I know, Marvin Lewis). You just cant be a lame duck coach. Every organization wants certainty, they want to know that they have the right guy, they want to be able to put all their confidence and support behind the guy, and this just cant be done if your a lame duck.

Its like someone suggested they "just tag" Jay Cutler. You dont tag your FRANCHISE QB, for the same raesons as above,

No, REX either gets extended or gets whacked. Its that simple.

Just because it isn't commonplace doesn't mean it can't be done.  I'm sure Rex wouldn't be the first lame duck HC in history, coaching for an extension.  The team can say they're showing support by NOT canning him after 3 consecutive non-win seasons, and that no one gets an extension after such.  That by bringing him back at all, to show he's the man when there's plenty of incoming talent (through many draft picks and through FA), they are thereby showing support.  If we finished 9-7 or better then that would be more difficult.

It's also unique because of Rex.  If he earns an extension during 2014, he's not going to shop himself around after perceiving a non-extension as a slap in the face. 

We have seen over and over that Wrecks out of loyalty goes back to his starter no matter what. And he WILL NOT channge QBs except when it's totally pathetic. And even then only temporarily and hestitantly.McElory and Simms get 5 inutes and then back to the bench. Simply he is not going to ride the hot hand like the Brady move, and he is not giving him a shot because he will have Bledsoe back in there no matter what.I know that the the idea of a displinarian like Mangini is no longer viable, but Ryan goes way too far in the direction of players' coach at the expense of his team.

Can anyone explain why with Smith sucking balls all midseason Simms doesn't get one game? One game in this sheetstrom mess of a season? There is no other reason than Wrecks and his BS loyalty. Which is also why we have seen Reed handed a job despite being totally done-loyalty.And even then he left Reed out there vs. Carolian despite eff up after eff up. A HC cannot be so loyal to players who can no longer or will never do the job.

You are eliminating from the realm of possibility that every other QB is, in fact, worse.  Publicly, Rex has not been so supportive of Geno like he was with Sanchez (by a long shot).  If MM said to him, "Rex we MUST play Simms or at least give him a try," Rex hasn't shown that he is so loyal to Geno.  If anything, during the season he's done more complaining about him than praising him (in his own way, like saying, "Yeah, we keep saying we have to cut down on the turnovers, it's time to stop just talking about it" or something like that).

But not going to whom over the years with Sanchez (as maddening as it was for me individually)? Tebow? Brunell? McElroy? If there was some other actual start-worthy QB on the team then you could better make that argument. 

And this year, it could be that Simms just stinks and all has in his arsenal is arm strength.  Just because it wasn't displayed on TV doesn't mean the team doesn't see it week after week in practice.  If they don't bring him back next season, and in particular if MM is still the OC, then I have to believe they ALL (not just Rex) think he's useless garbage and nothing more.

Just because it isn't commonplace doesn't mean it can't be done.  I'm sure Rex wouldn't be the first lame duck HC in history, coaching for an extension.  The team can say they're showing support by NOT canning him after 3 consecutive non-win seasons, and that no one gets an extension after such.  That by bringing him back at all, to show he's the man when there's plenty of incoming talent (through many draft picks and through FA), they are thereby showing support.  If we finished 9-7 or better then that would be more difficult.

It's also unique because of Rex.  If he earns an extension during 2014, he's not going to shop himself around after perceiving a non-extension as a slap in the face. 

Rex has been humble as pie since the foot fetish videos...I'd say he'd coach out the contract.

Though not unprecedented with the SAME GM, however I dont believe this scenario has ever occurred when the team just switched GM's as the Jets just did.

I would be absolutely flabbergasted if:

1. He doesnt get extended or Fired

2. That Idzik would stay on and agree to give one more year per instructions from WOODY

3. Woody would force Rex on Idzik for one more year

Sorry, I just dont see it.

Though not unprecedented with the SAME GM, however I dont believe this scenario has ever occurred when the team just switched GM's as the Jets just did.

I would be absolutely flabbergasted if:

1. He doesnt get extended or Fired

2. That Idzik would stay on and agree to give one more year per instructions from WOODY

3. Woody would force Rex on Idzik for one more year

Sorry, I just dont see it.

None of those 3 things would surprise me in the least.

You are eliminating from the realm of possibility that every other QB is, in fact, worse.  Publicly, Rex has not been so supportive of Geno like he was with Sanchez (by a long shot).  If MM said to him, "Rex we MUST play Simms or at least give him a try," Rex hasn't shown that he is so loyal to Geno.  If anything, during the season he's done more complaining about him than praising him (in his own way, like saying, "Yeah, we keep saying we have to cut down on the turnovers, it's time to stop just talking about it" or something like that).

But not going to whom over the years with Sanchez (as maddening as it was for me individually)? Tebow? Brunell? McElroy? If there was some other actual start-worthy QB on the team then you could better make that argument. 

And this year, it could be that Simms just stinks and all has in his arsenal is arm strength.  Just because it wasn't displayed on TV doesn't mean the team doesn't see it week after week in practice.  If they don't bring him back next season, and in particular if MM is still the OC, then I have to believe they ALL (not just Rex) think he's useless garbage and nothing more.

...and therein lies the rub...since Rex's time here the Jets have failed to adequately address the backup QB position....using the roster spot as a glorified coach rather than as competition to the starter...Rex has been a little harder verbally on Geno than Mark but I still don't like how Rex has handled the roster makeup or the coaching through the media words...fopr some reason I want to go back to earlier in the year when Rex admitted to changing the approach to reduce Geno's turnovers...red, yellow, green light...same sh*tty approach used with Sanchez...stunted one QB...jury still out on the other.

Archived