Rex getting more national praise

Pac

All it pointed out was that Rex was a good DC. Unfortunately the Jets employ him as a HC.

in this league good DCs or good OC's are kept on the team by being promoted. Andy Reid is an elite OC who has been a HC for 15+ years. That man doesn't know a lick about D but he's the head coach who is capable of calling O plays.  Rex runs the D and calls the plays that has a ton of value. 

here's a question is John Fox a better coach than Rex Ryan? Both are primarily D coaches. Carroll is a former DC too. why the obsession on having an O coach? The Head coach makes the team fight every week and sets the tone f or the whole organization. 

ps- are the Rex haters realistic about the state of the NFL HC market?

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... Both are primarily D coaches. Carroll is a former DC too. why the obsession on having an O coach? The Head coach makes the team fight every week and sets the tone f or the whole organization. 

It should be pointed out that any Defensive Coordinator promoted to Head Coach will rely heavily on his Offensive Coordinator.  The first three years Schottenheimer was forced on Rex.  The fourth year Rex whiffed and got Sparano, then swiftly got rid of him.  This year Marty looks good, but big personnel problems on the offense.

We should be able to bolster the personnel on the Offense this year.  So 2014 will be the real real test of Rex with some offensive personnel and his own choice of Offensive Coordinator.

in this league good DCs or good OC's are kept on the team by being promoted. Andy Reid is an elite OC who has been a HC for 15+ years. That man doesn't know a lick about D but he's the head coach who is capable of calling O plays.  Rex runs the D and calls the plays that has a ton of value. 

here's a question is John Fox a better coach than Rex Ryan? Both are primarily D coaches. Carroll is a former DC too. why the obsession on having an O coach? The Head coach makes the team fight every week and sets the tone f or the whole organization. 

ps- are the Rex haters realistic about the state of the NFL HC market?

Difference could be one sold Peyton Manning on his program, one couldn't.

Nah.  Manning was never coming to NY and competing with his brother.   The NY media would have turned it into a freak show, just like they do with everything else

A salesman of a coach could've changed that. It's defeatist to think otherwise. His own brother has had no problem playing here.

the fact that the players keep fighting for him means he earned that extension. The Jets are lucky to have Rex. In an entertainment industry he keeps the team entertaining. 

Who is more valuable to this franchise, Woody, Idzik or Rex? Who do we trust the must out of those 3 people? 

btw the timing of all this national pro Rex love is that Pettine getting the Browns job is the first new limb on the Rex Ryan coaching tree. Yes. That's a thing now. Altho he's obviously from several trees, including his dad's. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_Ryan#Head_coaching_record

More Valuable? Woody

Trust? Idzik

Coaching Tree? Who is he , Parcells?

The Manning family picks their owners. The Jets never stood a chance.

If the Jets head coach was not a foot-sniffing weirdo, perhaps things might have tuned out different. But the ownership thing is true. Woody does what ever Goodell tells him. Pat Bowlen at the end of Elway's run happlily broke the salary cap rules and told Taglibue to go eff himself, he wanted to win.

If the Jets head coach was not a foot-sniffing weirdo, perhaps things might have tuned out different 

Peyton Manning has played his whole career in "the country" from tennessee to indy to denver he is not gonna choose to play in NY. doesn't matter if vince lombardi was reanimated as the Jets HC.  He's a good ole boy through and through. the final choice was between Titans and Broncos actually. 

it wasn't in the cards and to blame it on Rex is agenda-riffic. And this is coming from someone who has all sorts of agendas. 

Peyton Manning has played his whole career in "the country" from tennessee to indy to denver he is not gonna choose to play in NY. doesn't matter if vince lombardi was reanimated as the Jets HC. He's a good ole boy through and through. the final choice was between Titans and Broncos actually.

it wasn't in the cards and to blame it on Rex is agenda-riffic. And this is coming from someone who has all sorts of agendas.

Eli played college football in Mississippi.

Peyton Manning has played his whole career in "the country" from tennessee to indy to denver he is not gonna choose to play in NY. doesn't matter if vince lombardi was reanimated as the Jets HC. He's a good ole boy through and through. the final choice was between Titans and Broncos actually.

DEN OF INIQUITY

this article highlights the positives while ignoring the equally-obvious negatives. it's like the old joke about how "at least Mussolini made the trains run on time."

rex is in the saddle and all jets fans should be behind him. but any article that doesn't at least claim that rex is close to figuring it out on offense is a poor defense of his continued tenure.

rex is in the saddle and all jets fans should be behind him. but any article that doesn't at least claim that rex is close to figuring it out on offense is a poor defense of his continued tenure.

He doesn't need to figure it out on offense. No HC is a master of both. 

I agree.  He does not need to "figure it out" on offense.  He does need to find a capable person if he is going to delegate authority. Sparano was as awful a hire as we've seen.  To their credit they moved on quickly, but while MM seems capable, does he share a "vision" with Rex? 

all head coaches are part of a tree. 

but once a head coach has an assistant get promoted to head coach of another team, that coach has started his own tree. Or at least his own branch on a bigger tree.

Sorry, Just because you are coach in the NFL, doesn't automatically give you a "tree". A "tree" is reserved for HIGHLY successful coaches, most of whom have at least 1 ring like WALSH, PARCELLS, BELLICHICK etc.

To give a head coach who is barely above .500 for his career and below for the last 3 years of his "career" is akin to saying that we should give RICH KOTITE his own tree. Gee, how would that look on your resume. I coached under the infamous Rich Kotite.

This.  John Harbaugh was a Special Teams coach, he knows nothing about anything...but give him talent and look out. Take that talent away, not so great anymore.

Sorry, Just because you are coach in the NFL, doesn't automatically give you a "tree". A "tree" is reserved for HIGHLY successful coaches, most of whom have at least 1 ring like WALSH, PARCELLS, BELLICHICK etc.

To give a head coach who is barely above .500 for his career and below for the last 3 years of his "career" is akin to saying that we should give RICH KOTITE his own tree. Gee, how would that look on your resume. I coached under the infamous Rich Kotite.

Its actualy no where near it...but carry on. 

This post is a big pile of poop.

No one was taking Rich Kotites philosophies and implementing them with new programs.  Bob Sutton and Pettine tapped into the genius of Rex Ryan and his teachings play a big part in how they're running their respective teams. 

It's the very definition of a coaching tree.

No one was taking Rich Kotites philosophies and implementing them with new programs.  Bob Sutton and Pettine tapped into the genius of Rex Ryan and his teachings play a big part in how they're running their respective teams. 

I thought Kotite was very successful and had a well above .500 record when fired by the Eagles and hired by the Jets? Did he not? I'm sure their are coaches out there who coached under Kotite, who went on to successful careers in the NFL but we never hear the "Kotite coaching tree", do we?

I agree.  He does not need to "figure it out" on offense.  He does need to find a capable person if he is going to delegate authority. Sparano was as awful a hire as we've seen.  To their credit they moved on quickly, but while MM seems capable, does he share a "vision" with Rex?

Marty runs a run-heavy WCO, I think that's an ideal compliment to Rex's defense. The Jets need the players to make it work, but I think Rex and Marty share a desire to have an offense that sustains long clock eating drives that end in points.

understandable. i was lazy in my typing i meant what dominator wrote below.

MM has been ok but my optimism about geno making a big 2nd year leap is low. it is one of the more stunning football decisions i have seen in my lifetime where a coach survived the ouster of a qb that the team moved up for on his watch, extended for big bucks, and that he defended so publicly. don't think there is any doubt that rex's tenure is directly linked to geno's play next year.

Marty runs a run-heavy WCO, I think that's an ideal compliment to Rex's defense. The Jets need the players to make it work, but I think Rex and Marty share a desire to have an offense that sustains long clock eating drives that end in points.

I *think so* too.  That does not mean it will work out that way.  I am as guilty as the next guy of blaming all the offensive woes on the coordinators, but even if Marty is good, Rex and he have to see eye to eye to make things work.  It seemed okay in 2013, but it is hard to say because the O was so weak.  Will Marty be willing to leave points on the field to protect the D?  Will Rex be willing to go balls out on O and risk putting the D in more difficult situations?  Time will tell.  I'm actually looking forward to finding out.  Hopefully we will have some bodies on O this season. 

No one was taking Rich Kotites philosophies and implementing them with new programs. Bob Sutton and Pettine tapped into the genius of Rex Ryan and his teachings play a big part in how they're running their respective teams.

image-32.jpg

Archived