John Idzik deserves more respect

Jetknowledge

Not sure how the Goodson signing was a COMPLETE waste of time.  In the limited touches he got we saw basically a perfectly complimentary RB for our RBBC; he looked like a nice 3rd down back to help make up for Ivory's inability to adequately catch passes.  His off the field troubles and injury weren't really on Idzik.

We paid $800k for 7 carries.

Who knows, it's hard to grade an offseason on its own after only one year. The o-line was mishandled. Going all in on Howard for the year was meh and leaving the LG battle to Ducasse vs Winters was not good either. The Goodson and Garrard signings were also complete wastes of time and money. These are all fixable things going into this year, but if they don't get handled then when we look back the 2013 offseason will be the genesis of the pattern.

They did bring in Peterman to compete for a G spot.  Going with Howard was okay with me, but if they believed in the guy I would have preferred a longer term deal while he was still cheap. 

Did you see them after the Miami game? 50 bucks says they touched each other's wieners.

Yeah, the over the top-ness of it is why I think the "braintrust" is saying, "you guys have to sell that you are on the same page".

Which turns into publicly fapping each other off.

That's one of the many reasons the previous GM got fired. Hard to add quality depth when you're trading away picks year after year. One of the things Idzik seemed to be doing last season was positioning himself purposely to acquire additional comp picks. Purposely targeting cut players rather than free agents, so his free agent losses wouldn't be offset. Pretty clever. That would look to be an indication that he fully understands that the team needs depth, and a lot of it.

It'll be interesting to see if he makes any of the big splashes in free agency this year that fans are always rooting for. Decker, Orakpo, etc. I don't expect that. I suspect he'll look to bring in a higher number of lower priced players, rather than one or two big ticket items. But we'll see. Should be fun.

So many people post here about something being or not being Idzik's style. Lol. The truth is that we really have no idea what his style is. We can make inferences based on the way the Seahawks were put together, but we don't know. Remember when there was no way a guy like John Idzik wouldn't fire Rex at his earliest opportunity?

We have no clue what Idzik did or didn't do in Seattle.  And really,  even their current GM, what were they doing before Pete?   The Seahawks kind of sucked after they lost that super bowl.  And it wasn't until last year when they actually were good again.  And last year was a surprise year for them as nobody expected the Seahawks to be a playoff contender.  Remember the hail mary against the Packers and replacement ref controversy.  It wasn't like people thought the Seahawks were this great team then.

The truth is as much as the GM and staff should get credit, Pete kind of turned around that organization.  I mean Idzik was in Seattle for a long time, so what was he helping build when they sucked?

We have no clue what Idzik did or didn't do in Seattle.  And really,  even their current GM, what were they doing before Pete?   The Seahawks kind of sucked after they lost that super bowl.  And it wasn't until last year when they actually were good again.  And last year was a surprise year for them as nobody expected the Seahawks to be a playoff contender.  Remember the hail mary against the Packers and replacement ref controversy.  It wasn't like people thought the Seahawks were this great team then.

The truth is as much as the GM and staff should get credit, Pete kind of turned around that organization.  I mean Idzik was in Seattle for a long time, so what was he helping build when they sucked?

Idzik was there before the lost super bowl and he was the GM when they hired Carroll.  They lost in the divisional twcie after the super bowl loss.  The hire of Mora was bad, but otherwise they seem pretty solid to me. Mostly their problem stemmed from Alexander and Hasselbeck aging and the difficulty in finding a sold QB., <cough, cough> Seneca Wallace, Tavaris Jackson.

This year is the big one for Idzik. Last year was the easy one. There were no playoff expectations and he basically just had to try to get us in a position to unload bad contracts. He signed a lot of short-term free agents to fill the gap that didn't mortgage our future. Now he has ample cap room and has several mid-round draft picks to really improve our offense.

Who knows, it's hard to grade an offseason on its own after only one year. The o-line was mishandled. Going all in on Howard for the year was meh and leaving the LG battle to Ducasse vs Winters was not good either. The Goodson and Garrard signings were also complete wastes of time and money. These are all fixable things going into this year, but if they don't get handled then when we look back the 2013 offseason will be the genesis of the pattern.

Howard was a no-brainer because he played on a tender. If we actually give him a contract then it's a problem. Winters was a dumb pick. Unless somebody like Warford falls in your lap, you really don't need to be goofing around with offensive linemen in the middle rounds.

We paid $800k for 7 carries.

Yes but that could happen to anyone.  Doesn't mean the signing was a waste.  He's still on the roster and could very well be an important part of our offense going forward.

Garrard, meanwhile, hadn't taken a snap since 2010 and could only operate as a player-coach.  That one's easy to pick apart.

So many people post here about something being or not being Idzik's style. Lol. The truth is that we really have no idea what his style is. We can make inferences based on the way the Seahawks were put together, but we don't know. Remember when there was no way a guy like John Idzik wouldn't fire Rex at his earliest opportunity?

For better or worse in the 2013 draft Idzik stayed true to his draft board, didn't draft based on need, and didn't panic.   I'd say that's been his style since he got on board.   He also has shown an aversion to spending $16M for a CB coming off ACL surgery.    

Other than that, I agree.   It will be interesting to see what he does with cap space, the QB position, and fielding a competent NFL offense.   

Idzik was there before the lost super bowl and he was the GM when they hired Carroll.  They lost in the divisional twcie after the super bowl loss.  The hire of Mora was bad, but otherwise they seem pretty solid to me. Mostly their problem stemmed from Alexander and Hasselbeck aging and the difficulty in finding a sold QB., <cough, cough> Seneca Wallace, Tavaris Jackson.

Idzik was never the GM.

They also thought Charlie Whitehurst and Matt Flynn were the QBs of the future.    But I agree Matt got old and injured, alexander was really done after that super bowl run and that team got old in a hurry.     But they won a division as a 7-9 team and beat the Saints at home in the playoffs.  The next season they went 7-9 again and going into last year, nobody had them on their radar.    And nobody really thought Wilson would have a 26 TD and 10 INT Rookie season.  Not even the team as they signed Flynn to a big contract to be their QB.    

They did build one hell of a team though as they traded for Lynch years back, more like stole him from the Bills,  and they've built that defense into the dominate team that they've become.     But it's also partially Pete doing this as well.  That team is his personality. He also loves young guys and can coach them and get along with them far better than aging veterans.     And the players love him for all of that.   

The Jets at this point who knows.  Idzik and Rex aren't exactly buddy buddies and everybody wants Rex to have no say in anything about building the team. Just coach the Defense.   Winning teams rarely have a HC who just is the DC.   Seattle is just as much Pete's team as it is the GMs and so on.     The Jets can't be Idzik's team and Rex just coaches them.  Not if they want to win.

Don't want to single anyone out on such a common issue:

How hard is it to say dominant when you mean to say dominant? Why do I see dominate in that spot so often?

Dominate is a verb, dominant is an adjective. She has a dominant personality. She likes to dominate.

The Internet...

Idzik was never the GM.

They also thought Charlie Whitehurst and Matt Flynn were the QBs of the future.    But I agree Matt got old and injured, alexander was really done after that super bowl run and that team got old in a hurry.     But they won a division as a 7-9 team and beat the Saints at home in the playoffs.  The next season they went 7-9 again and going into last year, nobody had them on their radar.    And nobody really thought Wilson would have a 26 TD and 10 INT Rookie season.  Not even the team as they signed Flynn to a big contract to be their QB.    

They did build one hell of a team though as they traded for Lynch years back, more like stole him from the Bills,  and they've built that defense into the dominate team that they've become.     But it's also partially Pete doing this as well.  That team is his personality. He also loves young guys and can coach them and get along with them far better than aging veterans.     And the players love him for all of that.   

The Jets at this point who knows.  Idzik and Rex aren't exactly buddy buddies and everybody wants Rex to have no say in anything about building the team. Just coach the Defense.   Winning teams rarely have a HC who just is the DC.   Seattle is just as much Pete's team as it is the GMs and so on.     The Jets can't be Idzik's team and Rex just coaches them.  Not if they want to win.

Excuse me on the GM thing.  I knew that and then just managed to misread something.  The Seahawks are a tough team to gauge.  They had some nice years under Holmgren and have looked very tough the last couple.  They have such a huge home field it is difficult for them to be really bad. 

I agree with that home field advantage thing. Even during bad seasons, Seattle is just one of those places nobody wants to play and that goes back to when I was young and they played in the Kingdome.  And it's so absurd in how that team plays so much better at home than on the road most of the time.  They could blow out the 49ers in Seattle, but lose 17-16 in San Fran.   It really is home field advantage.       When you are almost guaranteed to go 8-0 at home when you're good, thats one hell of a starting advantage.

Their biggest challenge will be the NFC West.  All those teams are designed to kick your azz.  

That organization is odd to me.  When I lived up there for a few years, I got to go down and kick field goals on their field at some event.  And it was like 5 bucks. That was kind of cool.  And Paul Allen is really a tech guy, not a sports guy, but somehow he owns two sports teams and he pretty much builds whatever he wants and spends whatever he wants on things for that team and has events for the fans.  As others said, that 12th man thing, they really live and die by it.  The team and owner and the fans all are like one.    It's almost a College football kind of atmosphere at times.  ANd it's probably why Pete has been so super successful.

Woody is not that kind of owner.  Rex isn't Pete, but he has that child like fun attitude.  But Rex is more obnoxious and in your face and brash.  I never minded that attitude, it was a lot better than Groh, Herm, and Mangini.    I hope the jets wind up building a team like the Seahawks.  Will they?  Who knows.   The jets sure don't have the home field advantage or the 12th man like the Seahawks.   I mean damn,  that stadium was rocking and loud yesterday.  A lot louder than it's been for the Giants or Jets.   Yes, it was the super bowl, but again, it was the Super bowl where there are far more 'suit' types than avg every day fans.   So it was amazing seeing Seahawk fans travel and support their team and kind of make it known.  

Archived