Kick the tires? (expected roster trimming free-agents)

Greenseed4

I'll try to keep this current and updated. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dustin Keller...finally healed from his ACL/MCL/PCL/LCL/CCL injury, is an expected cut from the Miami roster. Should we entertain  a rekindling of the romance we once had?  

Sidney Rice...Three months removed from his (something) tear surgery.  Cutting him saves Seattle $7M, and he would likely be on a one-year prove it deal.  When healthy his skill-set is undeniable--I think, it's been so long. 

Asante Samuel...Recently cut from the Falcons.  Could he be our ball-hawking safety if Byrd chases higher dollar? It's not like we shy away from old guys in our secondary. 

Jonathan Martin...Everyone keeps talking about his potty-mouth teammate.  What about signing the pussy with mental disorders? Talent wise, he has experience at LT, and haaaaas to be better than Oboushi-boushi (for depth). 

Running Backs...  There's a few (Moreno, McGahee, Bradshaw, etc), but none that get my loins stirring so I'm not going to mention them.  

Keller I think would be a good option for consideration, but solely under the premise that it be addressed in a low-risk / high-reward type manner.  Make it a cheap deal and even if he signs, just move forward with the same exact mentality that they would if he weren't even there, still planning to address the position otherwise.  If he works out, then great, but if he gets hurt again or he's not good enough to make the roster, then so be it.  While he might not have been what we hoped for when he was drafted, the truth is he was still the leading receiver for years and better than the garbage the Jets have out there now.  And I think we've seen enough to know he is (or at least was) better than Cumberland, despite many thinking the difference would be negligible.

A depth option at RB to replace and/or compete with Goodson would probably be a wise choice as well.  Mostly just a third down type option.

Jonathan Martin...Everyone keeps talking about his potty-mouth teammate.  What about signing the pussy with mental disorders? Talent wise, he has experience at LT, and haaaaas to be better than Oboushi-boushi (for depth). 

lol

I'll try to keep this current and updated. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dustin Keller...finally healed from his ACL/MCL/PCL/LCL/CCL injury, is an expected cut from the Miami roster. Should we entertain  a rekindling of the romance we once had?  

Sidney Rice...Three months removed from his (something) tear surgery.  Cutting him saves Seattle $7M, and he would likely be on a one-year prove it deal.  When healthy his skill-set is undeniable--I think, it's been so long. 

Asante Samuel...Recently cut from the Falcons.  Could he be our ball-hawking safety if Byrd chases higher dollar? It's not like we shy away from old guys in our secondary. 

Running Backs...  There's a few (Moreno, McGahee, Bradshaw, etc), but none that get my loins stirring so I'm not going to mention them.  

Keller is hard to say.  I don't think Mornhinweg sees TEs as catching blockers like his predecessor.  I was never overly impressed with him, but one should consider he didn't exactly have a stud passer getting the most out of him.  I'd see what else is available, though, and wouldn't sign him to more than a year or two max so we could easily cut bait if it turns out it was a mistake.

Rice no.  Guy is and has been way overrated based on one season he had back in 2009.  Seattle made a bad mistake signing him to that deal in the first place and want no part of him now that they finally save more by cutting him than keeping him.  Plus the guy is almost never 100% healthy and even when he is you know it's not going to last.

Samuel is interesting if he can (or is willing to) make the move to safety.  He just turned 33.  I don't know how slow he's gotten or if he still has enough ups to deflect passes away from today's generation of TEs that we'd need to have him cover.  He always had good hands (superbowl aside, hahaha).  But he might be expensive for a guy you're asking to immediately change positions.  It's not an apples and radios difference, and he should be able to do it, but still. 

Jonathan Martin no.  With the release of Holmes, Sanchez, etc. most of what's left of the rest of the circus will have already left town.  I don't want it to return.

The RBs you mention also no.  Moreno is going to want to cash in on his seasons with Manning.  The other 2 are way has-beens.  McGahee is slower than Powell and Bradshaw should retire before he ends up a lifelong cripple.  We can find a 3rd down back in the draft, and that's if Goodson is cut, which seems likely because of the knee at least as much as legal troubles.  (He didn't have a simple tear; it was both his ACL and his MCL and it was in mid-October when it happened.  Even if he's ever the same again it probably won't be in September; there's only one Adrian Peterson).  Shame, really.  But with Powell playing at least ok alongside Ivory, it's not worth signing one of these guys to 7-figure/year deals when we're looking for a part-time RB at a young man's position and we have 10 draft picks.  Of all the things we lack at RB (that Goodson was supposed to be), it's a pass-catching burner.  None of these guys fill that hole.

This article lists 30 or so projected cuts as we continue through the dumping stage of free agency.

http://www.spotrac.com/blog/30-rumored-nfl-cap-casualties/

Carlos Rogers or Kamerion Wimbley are curious options. 

on edit: I cleaned up the original post, clicking the link will tell you their 2014 cap charge, and projected savings if cut...which is why these guys made the list. 

I don't see how they don't take a look at Schaub.  Terrible season last year -- worst of his career -- but  with the exception of last season his QB rating averaged over 90 since becoming Houston's starter in 2007.   

I agree.  What was his deal last year; why the dump-season?  

Protection issues?  Injury?  New Coordinator? Drugs?  Was it the drugs?

Archived