S Louis Delmas Cut. Could be a good signing if #'s right

eboozer

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/13/lions-dump-louis-delmas-too/

The Detroit Lions continue to create cap space by parting ways with players having recognizable names.

Joining receiver Nate Burleson as a former member of the team is safety Louis Delmas.  The team has announced that Delmas has been released.

The move creates $6 million in cap space, via a $5.5 million base salary and $500,000 in bonus money.

A second-round pick in 2009, Delmas signed a two-year deal to stay with the team in 2013.  He appeared in every game last season, starting 15 times.

Like Burleson, Delmas instantly becomes a free agent.  He can sign with any team, giving him a head start on free agency.

Per a league source, the Lions currently have roughly $121 million in 2014 cap commitments.  With today’s moves, the Lions have created $11.5 million in cap space.  Millions more could be created via an extension of defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh’s rookie deal, which has a cap number in excess of $22 million.

Exactly why it wouldn't and shouldn't happen. That poor visionary of a man...

I know! Guy never spent money ever on players.  That's why the Jets had to rely on huge discounts from players from Martin to Mawae to Robertson to Pennington to Ferguson to Mangold to Faneca to Scott to Revis to Sanchez to Harris...

I know! Guy never spent money ever on players. That's why the Jets had to rely on huge discounts from players from Martin to Mawae to Robertson to Pennington to Ferguson to Mangold to Faneca to Scott to Revis to Sanchez to Harris...

Woody ain't cheap, just dumb. He cuts costs in the worst places ever, look at your avatar for an example

It'll be interesting to see if Idzik sticks with the trend of signing guys who were cut to gain an edge in the comp pick formula too. This might not be the year given all the money there is to spend and how few UFA's they're likely to lose though.

It'll be interesting to see if Idzik sticks with the trend of signing guys who were cut to gain an edge in the comp pick formula too. This might not be the year given all the money there is to spend and how few UFA's they're likely to lose though.

The time is NOW!! 45 years is a long time for him to be worrying about compensatory picks. Brady's fading, Miami went backwards 4 steps and Buffalo is, well.... Buffalo.

We've got a Beastly DLine & a pretty decent running game. Those are the pluses.

We also have DBrick and Mangold starting to show their age, a suspect secondary, ZERO offensive weapons, and a QB who either takes a step forward, or, we're screwed.

This is the 4 year window where we draft game changing talent in the first 3 rounds and depth with the remaining 8 picks. We take our $35 mil and go get a solid #2 WR(Maclin/Tate/James Jones etc.) a playmaker at Safety(Byrd #1, Ward if avail. Delmas - good value) a solid TE(Pita, Garret Graham, Pettigrew) and a quality QB to compete with Geno( Michael Vick, Josh McCown, Shaun Hill or Chad Henne) and a Pass Rusher like Jason Worilds. If Idzik can pull these type of moves off w/o jeopardizing our cap flexibility in the future, I will be a happy man. At least I know they are going for the "GOLD". AFC East crown before Brady retires is the first part of my dream followed equally by a SB Championship.

The time is NOW!! 45 years is a long time for him to be worrying about compensatory picks. Brady's fading, Miami went backwards 4 steps and Buffalo is, well.... Buffalo.

We also have DBrick and Mangold starting to show their age, a suspect secondary, ZERO offensive weapons, and a QB who either takes a step forward, or, we're screwed.

This is the 4 year window where we draft game changing talent in the first 3 rounds and depth with the remaining 8 picks. We take our $35 mil and go get a solid #2 WR(Maclin/Tate/James Jones etc.) a playmaker at Safety(Byrd #1, Ward if avail. Delmas - good value) a solid TE(Pita, Garret Graham, Pettigrew) and a quality QB to compete with Geno( Michael Vick, Josh McCown, Shaun Hill or Chad Henne) and a Pass Rusher like Jason Worilds. If Idzik can pull these type of moves off w/o jeopardizing our cap flexibility in the future, I will be a happy man. At least I know they are going for the "GOLD". AFC East crown before Brady retires is the first part of my dream followed equally by a SB Championship.

Amen.

Just to be clear I was saying this isn't the year to worry about comp picks. So it appears we're in agreement on that.

Yes, I understood that. My rant was in part, an agreement to your statement; and, a "Call to Arms" for the Jet F.O. not to penny pinch & get Rex what he needs, not necessarily what he wants. No more excuses about Rex didn't have enough talent on the roster. Give him the tools, and if he fails to deliver, let's get someone in here who can deliver. We have the picks & we have the Cap Space.... Go get it done Idzik.

NO MORE EXCUSES!!!

Yes, I understood that. My rant was in part, an agreement to your statement; and, a "Call to Arms" for the Jet F.O. not to penny pinch & get Rex what he needs, not necessarily what he wants. No more excuses about Rex didn't have enough talent on the roster. Give him the tools, and if he fails to deliver, let's get someone in here who can deliver. We have the picks & we have the Cap Space.... Go get it done Idzik.

NO MORE EXCUSES!!!

Picks and cap space!! Cool -- which QB (that we'll have access to in March-April) is going to be awesome by year 2 at the latest?

Again, for the people who see NE as "fading" once Brady retires etc. be reminded that they have a Hall of Fame coach, who always makes the right choices, AND they have a backup named RYAN MALLETT, who has a cannon attached to his right shoulder, is like 6'6" 245, and for some odd reason has stayed as Brady's backup, and has not asked out. Mallett will be like Rodgers was when GB finally parted ways with Favre.

The demise in NE is simply a wishful dream of long suffering Jet fans.

Picks and cap space!! Cool -- which QB (that we'll have access to in March-April) is going to be awesome by year 2 at the latest?

None of those FA QB's that I mentioned will be awesome by year 2 (as you already know). The best chance we have is a QB on our roster being "decent"(minimal TO's, able to move the ball & get some 1st downs) and let our defense, which will be improved with some of the FA signings we all have mentioned, gain us the field position needed for cheap pts. I hope that QB is Geno, but if not, McCown, Henne or Hill could be that(reasonably priced) guy to step in this season and get the job done. Let Geno backup and learn and give him a chance in 2015 to win the starter's job.

Again, for the people who see NE as "fading" once Brady retires etc. be reminded that they have a Hall of Fame coach, who always makes the right choices, AND they have a backup named RYAN MALLETT, who has a cannon attached to his right shoulder, is like 6'6" 245, and for some odd reason has stayed as Brady's backup, and has not asked out. Mallett will be like Rodgers was when GB finally parted ways with Favre.

The demise in NE is simply a wishful dream of long suffering Jet fans.

GM Billy Boy, has had more busts than successes since Pioli left and he became the talent evaluator. Mallett may have a canon, but no way in Hades he'll have that same quick thinking field presence that Brady has. Their defense is avg. at best and "Can't stop a nose bleed!" They're closer to being an 7-9 team when Brady goes than a 11-5 team. The talent just isn't there. If not for Schiano trading Blount and Talib for a bucket of chicken to his friend Billy, Pats wouldn't have made it to the AFC Championship game.

None of those FA QB's that I mentioned will be awesome by year 2 (as you already know). The best chance we have is a QB on our roster being "decent"(minimal TO's, able to move the ball & get some 1st downs) and let our defense, which will be improved with some of the FA signings we all have mentioned, gain us the field position needed for cheap pts. I hope that QB is Geno, but if not, McCown, Henne or Hill could be that(reasonably priced) guy to step in this season and get the job done. Let Geno backup and learn and give him a chance in 2015 to win the starter's job.

I mentioned QB because until you find one who is either clearly above average OR is good enough that he can get super-hot, plus also get lucky, for 4 games in a row (Eli, Flacco) the rest of your wish list - or anyone's; I'm not trying to single you out - is window dressing. 

It'll make the team better, for sure, but ultimately we're still going to win nothing if we get no better QB play than we've had.  Therefore the idea of "get Rex some players so we can see if sinks or swims" to me has no teeth if the QB is of the Sanchez/rookieGeno variety.

I mentioned QB because until you find one who is either clearly above average OR is good enough that he can get super-hot, plus also get lucky, for 4 games in a row (Eli, Flacco) the rest of your wish list - or anyone's; I'm not trying to single you out - is window dressing. 

It'll make the team better, for sure, but ultimately we're still going to win nothing if we get no better QB play than we've had.  Therefore the idea of "get Rex some players so we can see if sinks or swims" to me has no teeth if the QB is of the Sanchez/rookieGeno variety.

So what do you propose, Sperm? I honestly am curious how you would approach this whole QB dilemma? Do you trade up and get a QB? Do you trade for Cousins? Give Simms a turn at the wheel?

We're in deep doo-doo if Geno does not progress this year. We have enough collateral to make things better this off season.... but like you said, we need better play from the QB spot.

GM Billy Boy, has had more busts than successes since Pioli left and he became the talent evaluator. Mallett may have a canon, but no way in Hades he'll have that same quick thinking field presence that Brady has. Their defense is avg. at best and "Can't stop a nose bleed!" They're closer to being an 7-9 team when Brady goes than a 11-5 team. The talent just isn't there. If not for Schiano trading Blount and Talib for a bucket of chicken to his friend Billy, Pats wouldn't have made it to the AFC Championship game.

Matt Cassell?

So what do you propose, Sperm? I honestly am curious how you would approach this whole QB dilemma? Do you trade up and get a QB? Do you trade for Cousins? Give Simms a turn at the wheel?

We're in deep doo-doo if Geno does not progress this year. We have enough collateral to make things better this off season.... but like you said, we need better play from the QB spot.

1. Trade up for Manziel or Bridgewater

2. Inquire the Status of SAM BRADFORD

3. Sign Mike Vick and Jeremy Maclin

BOOM.

Matt Cassell?

Drafted by Scott Pioli (2001 - 2008) Those teams still had Harrison, Bruschi etc. when Cassell led them to a 11-5 record.

What has Cassell done since?

Pioli served as Director, and later Vice President of Player Personnel for the Patriots from 2001 to 2008 helping the Patriots franchise win three Super Bowl championships, and the NFL's only 16-0 regular season to date.

Just sayin'

1. Trade up for Manziel or Bridgewater

2. Inquire the Status of SAM BRADFORD

3. Sign Mike Vick and Jeremy Maclin

BOOM.

You'd trade for Bradford???? Trade a 2nd or 3rd and take on his contract?

You'd trade #18, #49 & the TB 3rd for one of these Rookie QB's? Is that even enough to jump into the top 8?

#3 is what I already have proposed. Good job.

Drafted by Scott Pioli (2001 - 2008) Those teams still had Harrison, Bruschi etc. when Cassell led them to a 11-5 record.

What has Cassell done since?

Pioli served as Director, and later Vice President of Player Personnel for the Patriots from 2001 to 2008 helping the Patriots franchise win three Super Bowl championships, and the NFL's only 16-0 regular season to date.

Just sayin'

My point being that Brady is great, sure, BUT when someone had to step in, they didn't miss a beat, and MALLETT is way better than Cassell. The Jets just wont cruise by Belichick and gang when Brady calls it quits. That Franchies is just too good.

Archived