Emmanuel Sanders, Steelers preparing to part ways?

LAD_Brooklyn

Emmanuel Sanders, Steelers preparing to part ways?

In our Offseason Forecast series, Gregg Rosenthal predicted the Pittsburgh Steelers will allow free-agent wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders to sign with another team.

Around The League isn't alone in that sentiment.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac have each professed the opinion that Sanders will leave "for a number of reasons."

Sanders has begun preparations for the open market, parting ways with agent Jordan Woy last week, per Liz Mullen of the Sports Business Journal.

Already reported to be on the Jets' radar, Sanders could also draw interest from the Patriots for a second-consecutive offseason if Julian Edelman flies the coop.

Although Sanders set career-highs across the board, he failed to meet expectations as Mike Wallace's replacement opposite Antonio Brown. The Steelers have reason to believe 2013 third-round draft pick Markus Wheaton is not only better suited for the role, but also offers more playmaking ability.

Sanders' loss will still leave a lack of depth at the position. In addition to trying to bring back veteran Jerricho Cotchery, the Steelers have indicated to Ben Roethlisberger that they intend to find a tall receiver early in the NFL Draft, per Dulac.

It seems that Roethlisberger has been publicly campaigning for that big, physical red-zone threat since Plaxico Burress absconded to New York in 2005.

Among the 2014 prospects that fit Pittsburgh's requirements are Texas A&M's Mike Evans, Florida State's Kelvin Benjamin and Penn State's Allen Robinson.

So Sanders hitting FA is totally realistic and the Steeler replacing him in the 1st is as well. Bad new to the Evans fans on him getting past the Steelers but good news for those who want Lee. As for Sanders and the Pats, it doesnt seem likely with them having limited cap space and FAs of their own.

I would be more surprised if they don't let him walk, as this has primarily been there MO in recent memory.  Draft guys in the middle rounds, develop them and replace them once their contract runs out. Once in a while they'll get someone like Brown who is an all-around great receiver who they'll keep, but they tend to do things the right way...if there is a right way.  

As the article also pointed out, Big Ben has wanted a bigger target for some time now, now whether that's Mike Evans or not, remains to be seen, but it seem they aren't about to resign sanders.

How is it that every year the Steelers let go a crop of receivers that are all better than our guys, and yet Cotchery is still starting for them? That's got to be up there with one of the dumbest, most pointless moves we've made in a long time.

He has 79 catches in three seasons combined for them. He had 98 in the previous two for us for a total of 1200 yards.

It's really not Cotchery. It's us.

So Sanders hitting FA is totally realistic and the Steeler replacing him in the 1st is as well. Bad new to the Evans fans on him getting past the Steelers but good news for those who want Lee. As for Sanders and the Pats, it doesnt seem likely with them having limited cap space and FAs of their own.

Yep, good point in that the ripple effect could be bad for the Jets fans who want a WR in the first.

I would be more surprised if they don't let him walk, as this has primarily been there MO in recent memory.  Draft guys in the middle rounds, develop them and replace them once their contract runs out. Once in a while they'll get someone like Brown who is an all-around great receiver who they'll keep, but they tend to do things the right way...if there is a right way.  

As the article also pointed out, Big Ben has wanted a bigger target for some time now, now whether that's Mike Evans or not, remains to be seen, but it seem they aren't about to resign sanders.

That's their MO more so due to their Cap. After signing back all their stars on defense that one year they been fighting to get under ever since then. Also over the cap 10+ mil more years then not. Not sure if they'll go after a receiver round one as they have to go after a NT most likely the one from ND.

Yep, good point in that the ripple effect could be bad for the Jets fans who want a WR in the first.

As I mention above they may want to replace Hampton 1st as NT isnt deep this draft.

That's their MO more so due to their Cap. After signing back all their stars on defense that one year they been fighting to get under ever since then. Also over the cap 10+ mil more years then not. Not sure if they'll go after a receiver round one as they have to go after a NT most likely the one from ND.

As I mention above they may want to replace

Hampton 1st as NT isnt deep this draft.

The Steelers seem to draft early on need. NTs usually don't go that early. Will be interesting.

He has 79 catches in three seasons combined for them. He had 98 in the previous two for us for a total of 1200 yards.

It's really not Cotchery. It's us.

If you actually watch the games instead of go to ESPN and look stats up, it'd be a little easier for you to grasp.

How many catches did Stephen Hill have last year by the way, stat hound?

EDIT

Here I did the leg work for you and I apologize in advance for stealing your MO

2013:

Stephen Hill- 24 rec, 342 yrd, 1TD

Cotchery- 46, 602....TEN TOUCHDOWNS

I love you.

If you actually watch the games instead of go to ESPN and look stats up, it'd be a little easier for you to grasp.

How many catches did Stephen Hill have last year by the way, stat hound?

EDIT

Here I did the leg work for you and I apologize in advance for stealing your MO

2013:

Stephen Hill- 24 rec, 342 yrd, 1TD

Cotchery- 46, 602....TEN TOUCHDOWNS

I love you.

You act like Cotchery is some irreplaceable cog in their offense. He is not. Someone else could easily have replaced that production put in the same spot for them.

Or are you really saying that someone else couldn't have caught 16 passes or 17 passes for them? Or does the previous two seasons for them not count, your complaint about them stealing Cotchery away from us only has to do with this past year? Not the first two?

You act like Cotchery is some irreplaceable cog in their offense. He is not. Someone else could easily have replaced that production put in the same spot for them.

Or are you really saying that someone else couldn't have caught 16 passes or 17 passes for them?

Do you even read before hitting send? It wasn't 16 or 17 passes, it was triple that. He had more yards as a slot player than any of our guys did. Jeff Cumberland a backup tight end and our receiving touchdown leader had four.

You think he's easily replaced? Anybody who knows anything about the NFL will tell you about Cotcherys work ethic and incredible hands. The guy gets open and catches the ball.

Or are you really saying that someone else couldn't have caught 16 passes or 17 passes for them? Or does the previous two seasons for them not count, your complaint about them stealing Cotchery away from us only has to do with this past year? Not the first two?

Nice edit. My point that I wasn't going to make earlier is he was playing with Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown those first two years and don't forget in his first year there he was finishing back rehab. Go look into the games he scored touchdowns they were game winning scores.

Everything he did last year was without Mike Wallace which makes it that much more special. In other words he would have been our number one here by a mile.

Do you even read before hitting send? It wasn't 16 or 17 passes, it was triple that. He had more yards as a slot player than any of our guys did. Jeff Cumberland a backup tight end and

our receiving touchdown leader had four.

You think he's easily replaced? Anybody who knows anything about the NFL will tell you about Cotcherys work ethic and incredible hands. The guy gets open and catches the ball.

First of all, where's the rest of my post.

Second, he caught 16 passes in 2011 and 17 in 2012. So what do you have left? The eyeball test?

First of all, where's the rest of my post.

Second, he caught 16 passes in 2011 and 17 in 2012. So what do you have left? The eyeball test?

The rest of your post must have come after I quoted you on your original impulsively conceived nonsense. Anyway good luck with your Cotchery sucks campaign I wish you all the best

The rest of your post must have come after I quoted you on your original impulsively conceived nonsense. Anyway good luck with your Cotchery sucks campaign I wish you all the best

It's apparent you can't discuss this player without getting upset. He's special to you, I get it. To me, he's not special. He doesn't suck, no. But is he something to rip your hair out over losing? I say no. Would he have helped us last year? I guess. That is not saying much, even if true.

It's apparent you can't discuss this player without getting upset. He's special to you, I get it. To me, he's not special. He doesn't suck, no. But is he something to rip your hair out over losing? I say no. Would he have helped us last year? I guess. That is not saying much, even if true.

Idiocy and lack of a logical argument are my biggest triggers

Idiocy and lack of a logical argument are my biggest triggers

See, now you're playing to your strong suit. Add a facepalm emoticon now.

Now, I may be wrong, but I think Jeremy Kerley has done a fine job filling the Cotchery role.

Okay here, I'm make it easier for you. Imagine in February of 2012 you were screaming about how losing Jerricho Cotchery to the Steelers equated a win for them. Then double down and do it again in February of 2013. Silly isn't it?

The reason the Steelers keep finding middle round wide outs each year is because Big Ben is the one throwing to them.

Yeah to an extent but it doesn't hurt that they have the best GM in football either. But I agree that it's no accident that Cotch goes out there, gets healthy, gets a chance to be a number 2, and has a career year in TD

Yeah to an extent but it doesn't hurt that they have the best GM in football either. But I agree that it's no accident that Cotch goes out there, gets healthy, gets a chance to be a number 2, and has a career year in TD

Cotch was a #4 in that offense behind Brown, Sanders and Miller.  TDs are almost impossible to predict on a year to year basis, so I'm not chalking his surge in TDs to some revitalization. It's a lot of opportunity and luck and less sheer skill.  The year CJ set the WR record he was tackled at the 1 yard line about 6 times and finished with single digit scores.  Cotch was a great number two and right now is a great role player, but you ask him to take on 100 targets at this stage in his career and I think you'll be pretty disappointed.  

Sanders has a good catch-to-target percentage and rarely drops the ball, he does all the little things well out of the slot, most notably gaining yards after the catch. There's a reason Belichick tried to steal him away. If we're really sticking with Marty he makes a whole lot of sense.

If we got Sanders would Kerley move outside?

Kerley would most likely stay in the slot and Sanders will primarily be the Z receiver in three receiver sets. Sanders would be a great Z for us here, especially with how MM seems to run his offense.

In all likelihood they'd alternate to keep defenders on their heels. One thing he uses a lot of is high-low concepts and rubs in an effort to throw the linebackers and safeties off. My guess is once they got things going in the short game, Sanders would be better suited for stretching things vertically simply because he's faster.

In all likelihood they'd alternate to keep defenders on their heels. One thing he uses a lot of is high-low concepts and rubs in an effort to throw the linebackers and safeties off. My guess is once they got things going in the short game, Sanders would be better suited for stretching things vertically simply because he's faster.

Agreed, they have a fairly similar skill-set with Sanders being both bigger and faster.  Neither are particularly suited for playing the X, they just aren't big enough to consistently beat press-man, so that's still a position of great need unless Stephen Hill decides to stay healthy for a season, however both of them are regularly able to gain separation which is something that was hard to come by last year.  

If Sanders or Maclin is signed, I would not be surprised to see the FO focus more one someone like kelvin Benjamin, Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews, Landry or Davante Adams. 

Not sure what their GM has done recently to be consider great unless your referring to his entire body of work which I'm not up to date with. But their GM handling of the cap has been on bar with Tanny. Every year they restructure and issue long term pain for short term gain and couldn't sign studs back even if it came at a reasonable price. This year being $12 mil over the cap (which is better then the $30+ mil they were position at last season) should lead to most of there FAs leaving once more.

Agreed, they have a fairly similar skill-set with Sanders being both bigger and faster.  Neither are particularly suited for playing the X, they just aren't big enough to consistently beat press-man, so that's still a position of great need unless Stephen Hill decides to stay healthy for a season, however both of them are regularly able to gain separation which is something that was hard to come by last year.  

If Sanders or Maclin is signed, I would not be surprised to see the FO focus more one someone like kelvin Benjamin, Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews, Landry or Davante Adams. 

If Sanders or Maclin is signed I think Nicks makes sense to be the priority. He can beat press coverage which would balance out the other two nicely. Plus it would piss the Giants off, which is great because **** those guys.

Archived