The Salary Cap

Gastineau Lives

The thing that I'm confused about is whether I'm supposed to understand that this is a really sh*tty free agent market or that this is the way Idzik does business. At some point he's going to have to spend, but he will not be doing so in a vacuum, there will always be other teams interested in a player he is and some among us will then be screaming about how he got into a bidding war and overspent. In theory, you can keep pushing the cap space onto the next year because you didn't find a player you deemed worthy to spend the money on. But this cannot happen perpetually, eventually you have to pay someone. Now, if I understand correctly, and I'm not saying I do, you have to spend 89 percent of your cap space over a four year period. Does this mean for example, that say the cap were 100 mil (to make it an even number, I know its 143 or whatever) If it is 100 mil and doesn't move, say you:

Spend 80 mil in year one then:

Spend 80 mil in year two:

Spend 80 mil in year three:

By year four you have 300 million that you were supposed to spend. You spent 240. Now you have the number go to 400 mil for the four year period. You now MUST spend 356 (89 percent of 400) which leaves you having to spend 116 mil in that fourth year, since you spent 240 in the first three years? Wouldn't that leave you in position to hand out some really bad contracts?

The thing that I'm confused about is whether I'm supposed to understand that this is a really sh*tty free agent market or that this is the way Idzik does business. At some point he's going to have to spend, but he will not be doing so in a vacuum, there will always be other teams interested in a player he is and some among us will then be screaming about how he got into a bidding war and overspent. In theory, you can keep pushing the cap space onto the next year because you didn't find a player you deemed worthy to spend the money on. But this cannot happen perpetually, eventually you have to pay someone. Now, if I understand correctly, and I'm not saying I do, you have to spend 89 percent of your cap space over a four year period. Does this mean for example, that say the cap were 100 mil (to make it an even number, I know its 143 or whatever) If it is 100 mil and doesn't move, say you:

By year four you have 300 million that you were supposed to spend. You spent 240. Now you have the number go to 400 mil for the four year period. You now MUST spend 356 (89 percent of 400) which leaves you having to spend 116 mil in that fourth year, since you spent 240 in the first three years? Wouldn't that leave you in position to hand out some really bad contracts?

I dont think it works like that. I think each team is required to spend 90% of the cap. I believe I heard this somewhere. If this is true then that means Idzik has to find someone to spend the money on. Its how you spend it that he should be worried about. you cant just save the money.

I dont think it works like that. I think each team is required to spend 90% of the cap. I believe I heard this somewhere. If this is true then that means Idzik has to find someone to spend the money on. Its how you spend it that he should be worried about. you cant just save the money.

You have 4 year blocks to spend it.  Right now the Jets are in year 2 of the period

So doesn't this mean that at some point he's going to be backed into a corner and required to spend that $$$ and if so, he'll probably have to overpay at that point? If that's the case then I don't understand why anyone would be overly concerned about dishing out $8m to a guy like DRC or $3 per to a guy like Jones.

So doesn't this mean that at some point he's going to be backed into a corner and required to spend that $$$ and if so, he'll probably have to overpay at that point? If that's the case then I don't understand why anyone would be overly concerned about dishing out $8m to a guy like DRC or $3 per to a guy like Jones.

he can give sanchez and goodson 7 year deals

its all good

No.  Not this year any way.  When I first read the rule I thought it was stupid, but the more I look at it, the more I like it.

It prevents teams who have a lot of money in a certain year from being forced to spend a lot of money, or over pay players they don't really want.  They can save the money for the following 2 or 3 years until there are players available that they want to pay the money to

No.  Not this year any way.  When I first read the rule I thought it was stupid, but he more I look at it, the more I like it.

It prevents teams who have a lot of money in a certain year from being forced to spend a lot of money, or over pay players they don't really want.  They can save the money for the folling 2 or 3 years until there are players available that they want to pay the money to

weird

its like he decided not to spend like a drunken sailor in an average FA market with no idea is his QB is any good

I posted this a couple of places:

There is no "salary cap floor" but a CASH spending floor of 89% cumulative per team over two four year periods, not per year;

"For each of the following four-League Year periods, 2013-2016 and 2017-2020, there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 89% of the Salary Caps for such periods (e.g., if the Salary Caps for the 2013-16 and 2017-2020 are $100, $120, $130, and $150 million, respectively, each Club shall have a Minimum Team Cash Spending for that period of $445 million (89% of $500 million)." CBA

The league wide spending must be 95% of CASH for the periods (2013-16, 2017-2020).

For example, Joe Flacco was paid approximately $30 million in cash in 2013 but cost $7 million on the salary cap.  For "Salary Floor" purposes the entire $30 million counts towards the 89% team spending necessary over 2013-16, not $7 million, this is why there is no cap floor.

The bottom line is no team makes roster decisions based on meeting their salary floor. 

the way I understood the rule was "cash" spent not "cap" spent so this should not be an issue.  

weird

its like he decided not to spend like a drunken sailor in an average FA market with no idea is his QB is any good

Exactly

My problem with what Idzik is doing, even though it is financially sound is , Rex's defense is built  on  man to man coverage by CB's.  For this D to work he needs shut down cover guys.  If your going to over pay any one this year it would be a CB.

We'll  see how it all works out in the end 

Exactly

My problem with what Idzik is doing, even though it is financially sound is , Rex's defense is built  on  man to man coverage by CB's.  For this D to work he needs shut down cover guys.  If your going to over pay any one this year it would be a CB.

First of all, if Rex NEEDS multiple shut-down cover guys to make this D work, he needs to find another job.  His billing is a defensive mastermind, which I myself believe he is.  It'll be up to him to make it work in a season where he, once again, is on a short leash.

As for the corner situation as it stands......didn't you see how well Milliner covered Josh Gordon last season?  He has the raw talent to be a # 1 corner.  He was the top-rated CB in the 2013 draft at a position where it takes time to develop.  Maybe give the kid a chance to prove it?

Wilson is underrated as a slot corner and we still have the draft to find the starter on the outside opposite Milliner.  Patience, my friend.

Exactly

you have to wonder if he'll be around to see the fruits of his labors.  this isn't a patient town.  it's really amazing to think the entire fan base in in a tizzy over 1 starting player, and it's not the QB. 

I knew this was going to be a tough week when 30 minutes into FA, there were complaints

True and you understood correctly. But that doesn't mean we are handing out bad contracts. It just means we'll be extending our own, and adding a few more solid players via FA. I feel Idzik thinks its not the time for a SB run yet. I think he wants to move some of the money towards 2015 when he'll feel like Geno can take the next step and by having an extra 20-30 carryover from 2014, Jets can potentially have 70-80mil in cap (they currently stand at $65mil in space for 2015 but obviously some of that cap will be taken up by this years and next years draft class. Pushing $15mil towards 2015 will give us $80 minus maybe about $10 of rookie allotment. That still leaves us with 70 mil to spend in FA and on our own UFA (Harris, Kerley, Wilson, Snacks, Mo?)

First of all, if Rex NEEDS multiple shut-down cover guys to make this D work, he needs to find another job.  His billing is a defensive mastermind, which I myself believe he is.  It'll be up to him to make it work in a season where he, once again, is on a short leash.

As for the corner situation as it stands......didn't you see how well Milliner covered Josh Gordon last season?  He has the raw talent to be a # 1 corner.  He was the top-rated CB in the 2013 draft at a position where it takes time to develop.  Maybe give the kid a chance to prove it?

Wilson is underrated as a slot corner and we still have the draft to find the starter on the outside opposite Milliner.  Patience, my friend.

If he doesn't get at least one good cover guy he will probably be looking for another job.

I agree that Milliner has the physical tools to be a shut down corner.  Wasn't opposed to the selection.  Fact of the matter is he was horrible for 12 games.  He played well the last month of the season.  That certainly doesn't mean he is going to be "the man" moving forward.  Even Winters played well against a disheartened Fish team the final week.

Don't know what these guys are going to do next season, but I do know they need a vet CB, who can cover man to man, or we are in for some pain this year.

Exactly

I think this gets a little overstated on here and in the media. How many shut down corners did Rex have in Baltimore? Rex relies on good DL play. The front 7 getting pressure eases the pressure from the secondary. They go hand in hand though, but there is a reason why Rex has drafted DL twice in first round when it wasn't the biggest need both times. CB was an obvious need in 2013 with Revis leaving, and probably though Kyle was BPA when he got drafted in 2010.

you have to wonder if he'll be around to see the fruits of his labors.  this isn't a patient town.  it's really amazing to think the entire fan base in in a tizzy over 1 starting player, and it's not the QB. 

I knew this was going to be a tough week when 30 minutes into FA, there were complaints

Yeah

Jets fans are really tough.  I understand why.  I'm one of them.  

Izdik doesn't seem to be a guy that gives a crap what the fans think one way or the other.  I have a real strong feeling he may do one of two things  at QB that is going to drive the fans crazy.

Not going to go into that right now because i don't feel like being insulted all night.  LOL

Yeah

Jets fans are really tough.  I understand why.  I'm one of them.  

Izdik doesn't seem to be a guy that gives a crap what the fans think one way or the other.  I have a real strong feeling he may do one of two things  at QB that is going to drive the fans crazy.

Not going to go into that right now because i don't feel like being insulted all night.  LOL

if he does the thing that we will not speak of, heaven help us all

I think this gets a little overstated on here and in the media. How many shut down corners did Rex have in Baltimore? Rex relies on good DL play. The front 7 getting pressure eases the pressure from the secondary. They go hand in hand though, but there is a reason why Rex has drafted DL twice in first round when it wasn't the biggest need both times. CB was an obvious need in 2013 with Revis leaving, and probably though Kyle was BPA when he got drafted in 2010.

Of course it's overstated.  Everything on message boards is overstated.

In Baltimore Rex had good corners, a great S, and a great LB'er.  Here he has a very good front 7, and mush in the back end.  Milliner may be good, or maybe he'll suck,  Rex's job is on the line THIS YEAR 

if he does the thing that we will not speak of, heaven help us all

If the QB situation goes anything like this off-season has so far, then I predict that Geno will hurt his schlong while takin selfies and be out for the season. Then we'll see a QB battle between Sanchez and Vick.

I agree that Milliner has the physical tools to be a shut down corner.  Wasn't opposed to the selection.  Fact of the matter is he was horrible for 12 games.  He played well the last month of the season.  That certainly doesn't mean he is going to be "the man" moving forward. 

Why not?  He was a top 10 pick, and he did a better job on Josh Gordon (now considered a top 5 WR, maybe even top 3) than anyone else did last season.  Why can't we expect him to be "the man"?  He was drafted at a higher slot than Darrelle Revis.

weird

I gotta tell ya. this shtick is getting really old. there were plenty of young, talented players who sign reasonable deals who were positions of need of the jets. cause your qb may/may not be good is a reason to not improve your team? idzik had a plan A that went to sh*t because, for one reason or another, he couldn't close the deal. its that simple

If the QB situation goes anything like this off-season has so far, then I predict that Geno will hurt his schlong while takin selfies and be out for the season. Then we'll see a QB battle between Sanchez and Vick.

Is it possible to hurt something that small?

Archived