D. Dennard

SonnyJet

Saw game clips of Dennard in a lot of press man coverage against ND on youtube. I like how hes physical and how he helps in the run game, but cmon kid is gonna get penalized in the league like no other. He gets beat a lot and all that hand fighting he does will get called. Looks pretty slow as well hence his 4.5 40. Hope Rex doesnt draft him, defitnitly a Rex Ryan type of pick. If we go corner I like Crockwell from duke in the 3rd round. Similar style with better value.

Jason Verrett, TCU CB, is by far my favorite defensive back in this draft. If this guy were two inches taller he would probably be a top 10 pick. I love his technique, willingness to tackle, and ball skills. I don't know if I love drafting him at 18, but if we do not address CB in free agency we could do worse with this pick. There will be a very solid WR prospect in the second round, perhaps Donte Moncrief, if we decide not to go WR in round 1. 

Saw game clips of Dennard in a lot of press man coverage against ND on youtube. I like how hes physical and how he helps in the run game, but cmon kid is gonna get penalized in the league like no other. He gets beat a lot and all that hand fighting he does will get called. Looks pretty slow as well hence his 4.5 40. Hope Rex doesnt draft him, defitnitly a Rex Ryan type of pick. If we go corner I like Crockwell from duke in the 3rd round. Similar style with better value.

CBS sports has him going in the fifth round, here's their blurb on him

STRENGTHS: Cockrell is much more physical than he looks. He has a lean, wiry build but doesn't shy from getting physical at the line of scrimmage, wasting little time in pursuit or attacking blocks. He is a bit of an agitator in coverage, frequently tugging to impede receivers without fully extending to draw the flag. His awareness is an asset as Cockrell locates the ball and shows burst to close. Characterized as a coach on the field. He possesses quick hands and good timing to rip at the ball as it arrives, as indicated by the number of passes he's broken up (53) and intercepted (12) over his career. Intercepted a pass in the final moments of the East-West Shrine Game to seal the victory.

WEAKNESSES: At his best in zone coverage when he can break downhill on the ball, as Cockrell does not possess ideal fluidity or straight-line speed. Further, Cockrell is a bit all or nothing when it comes to run support. He reads the action quickly and is decisive in the angles he takes towards the ball, which leads him to be too easily blocked out of the action when ball-carries see him coming. Too often lunges as a tackler and finds himself on the ground.

COMPARES TO: Derrick Martin, Chicago Bears - Cockrell doesn't possess elite athleticism but he locates the ball quickly and has the height scouts are looking for in today's defensive backs. It could be a struggle to find his niche, but he's overcome challenges before.

--Rob Rang

Sounds like he might not be the best fit for our defense, I'm on the Bradley Roby wagon myself.  I think he's as physical as Dennard but with make-up speed and has the run-support you look for in a Rex Ryan corner. 

Dennard way to slow of a 40, its got to put his stock in the 2nd or third round now,

Dennard ran 4.5 at Indy, which isn't amazing but also isn't awful.

He jumped 11-2 broad and 36 vert at pro day, thus he's rising.

Dennard lacks flat out speed but the CB need means he won't make it to rd 2 and could even be gone by the Jets pick. 

He does fit Rex's system perfectly, a press man corner all the way.

Right now it's probably the biggest need on the roster. 

Dennard ran 4.5 at Indy, which isn't amazing but also isn't awful.

He jumped 11-2 broad and 36 vert at pro day, thus he's rising.

Dennard lacks flat out speed but the CB need means he won't make it to rd 2 and could even be gone by the Jets pick.

He does fit Rex's system perfectly, a press man corner all the way.

Right now it's probably the biggest need on the roster.

I'm in the Phillip Gaines camp.

What happened to BPA ??

If Dennard, Cooks and Beckham are the Jets top 3,  and all are on the board, Dennard could be the BPA. 

Dennard is the Thorpe Award winner and has an extensive track record of doing what Rex would ask him to do in that defense. there's an argument to be made he could be the BPA at 18. It certainly would be value cause mocks have him going higher. 

These numbers really don't matter. It's counterintuitive, but the more jumping a position actually entails, the less predictive the drills are.

i dont believe that to be true but even if it is, few have better CB film than Dennard. And none are better at press man coverage.

Archived