Dungy likes Idziks plan

SouthernJet

I wonder how much Idzik is relying on Rod Graves thruout this free agency period?  You hardly hear the guy's name mentioned but he was a significant Idzik hire last year with a personnel evaluator background.  Idzik is taking all the heat in the media but Graves was his boss once so he might have alot of influence behind the scenes...

I think he means after the new GM did his 1st few drafts then used $ for draft guys that made good. You save in 1st few years to re-up guys as they become  negotuiable

there are two phases to free agency.  the first phase is the overpayment phase, where everyone goes after the best players like mad dogs and seriously overpays.  they there is the come-down-to-earth phase, which is now.  I hate overpaying and you always overpay in early free agency.

there are two phases to free agency.  the first phase is the overpayment phase, where everyone goes after the best players like mad dogs and seriously overpays.  they there is the come-down-to-earth phase, which is now.  I hate overpaying and you always overpay in early free agency.

agree

Captain Munnerlyn, 3 years, $11.25M

Brandon Browner, 3 years, $17

Walter Thurmond, 1 year, $3.5M

There was affordable help out there at a position of need.

munnerlyn blew, ,folks down here did  a dance when he didnt re-sign ,,point being, none of these guys were gonna put THIS 2014 team in SB this year or next,, Look to 2015 as legit playoff run and 2016 as a SB ready team IMHO

munnerlyn blew, ,folks down here did  a dance when he didnt re-sign ,,point being, none of these guys were gonna put THIS 2014 team in SB this year or next,, Look to 2015 as legit playoff run and 2016 as a SB ready team IMHO

All affordable players at a position of need (which Idzik acknowledged himself), which would've allowed him to better stick to his BAP philosophy in the draft. As the team stands now, he's gonna have to weigh CBs more heavily come draft time.

All affordable players at a position of need (which Idzik acknowledged himself), which would've allowed him to better stick to his BAP philosophy in the draft. As the team stands now, he's gonna have to weigh CBs more heavily come draft time.

maybe, ,we will see,, I think this staff better prepped and we may have 'insights' into other teams cap issues and what Vets may be cap casualties in summer camp (a HUGE part of GMs skills being able to predict this) and also the trade route

I tell my staff to 'look behind the domino before you kick it over to gauge the ramifications'. .Summer Camp cuts fits this philosophy

Thank you. He didn't have to break the bank. We're talking about decent position fillers here that would have given us more draft flexibility.

The real question is what does he think about the Mike Vick signing since he's the moral authority on everything.

Dungy spoke on Vick upon his reinstatement to the NFL....He supported Vick's reinstatement, so I would think he would support Vick getting a backup role with the Jets.  The Vick signing seems to fit the concept of using free agency to fill in the gaps and not to build a team.

aren't Munnerlyn and Thurmond both slot corners?  And is not Browner on a 4 game suspension?  Yes, I think 2015 is the target date.  A lot of teams make the playoffs, take a step back and then rebound.  We might get lucky this year.  But the real plan is down the road.  And people are ridiculous.  I read some reporter today saying that Idzik should reveal the specifics of his long term plan.  In what football universe do you tell reporters what you are going to do?  Such nonsense.  Look, I agree with you.  You either have a long term plan or not.  You cannot hop from lily pad to lily pad. You cannot change with the wind.  I hope Woody is not twisting Idzik's arm a little.  Because woody has proved that he does not know what he is doing.  You have to stay the course.

Captain Munerlyn and Walter Thurmond are primarily slot and nickel corners, a position we already have manned by Kyle Wilson and Ellis Lankster, so I don't think they really qualify as players filling our position of need. The only other option of your three that fits our vacancy was Browner and he's suspended for the first four games of the season. Those really aren't three players to be upset at not signing. 

Thank you. He didn't have to break the bank. We're talking about decent position fillers here that would have given us more draft flexibility.

Two of those three guys would be filling the position already occupied by Wilson, it'd be redundant. The other guy is on a four game suspension. There's absolutely zero possibility that we could have signed Browner without prompting you to flip out about how "Idzik waits all this time and selects a guy who can't even play the first quarter of the season!?"

Two of those three guys would be filling the position already occupied by Wilson, it'd be redundant. The other guy is on a four game suspension. There's absolutely zero possibility that we could have signed Browner without prompting you to flip out about how "Idzik waits all this time and selects a guy who can't even play the first quarter of the season!?"

We have no depth. Walls should not be starting this league. Even still, if he or Milliner goes down, then who is starting? Lankster? Ras-I Downling?

Any good free agents still on the market?

So you think player movement has ended? There's the draft. Players will be cut, released or traded after the draft. The entire offseason isn't two weeks of free agency.

We have no depth. Walls should not be starting this league. Even still, if he or Milliner goes down, then who is starting? Lankster? Ras-I Downling?

Sweet baby jesus. You were just bashing Idzik for making depth signings at the beginning of free agency, now you're upset there isn't more depth?  By the by, we resigned two of our own CBs, which certainly helps that depth.  Free agency isn't over, cuts have yet to happen as they always do and the draft is only a month away.  

Sweet baby jesus. You were just bashing Idzik for making depth signings at the beginning of free agency, now you're upset there isn't more depth?  By the by, we resigned two of our own CBs, which certainly helps that depth.  Free agency isn't over, cuts have yet to happen as they always do and the draft is only a month away.  

LOL, thinking same thing, I've come to this conclusion:

cupL.png

aren't Munnerlyn and Thurmond both slot corners?  And is not Browner on a 4 game suspension?  Yes, I think 2015 is the target date.  A lot of teams make the playoffs, take a step back and then rebound.  We might get lucky this year.  But the real plan is down the road.  And people are ridiculous.  I read some reporter today saying that Idzik should reveal the specifics of his long term plan.  In what football universe do you tell reporters what you are going to do?  Such nonsense.  Look, I agree with you.  You either have a long term plan or not.  You cannot hop from lily pad to lily pad. You cannot change with the wind.  I hope Woody is not twisting Idzik's arm a little.  Because woody has proved that he does not know what he is doing.  You have to stay the course.

Obviously if you don't reveal your plan to reporters, it means you don't actually have a plan.

Hey ... why don't we just write out the plan and hand it to Belichek. WOW. Have patience people ! Let's get the right pieces for the team. We have 12 picks and tons of $ . There are lots of opportunities to get good players in the draft. Do some research and you can find 3rd and 4th round picks that could produce. Look , even a 1st rounder can be a bust. Give them a chance. Don't just look at the " experts " picks. Those " experts " said we were a 3 win team. They are news geeks that never touched a ball that wasn't in their pants. We've all seen good and great players come from every round and we've seem plenty of " expert " projections that stunk it up. Give the guy a chance. This is a great opportunity this year to build something that could last.

So you think player movement has ended? There's the draft. Players will be cut, released or traded after the draft. The entire offseason isn't two weeks of free agency.

It pretty much is if you're looking for CB starters.  I thought Jonathan Joseph could yet be a cap casualty but I think that ship has sailed.  Most cap casualties should have happened by now. 

We all saw how the top CB prospect (Milliner) in the draft struggled last year - do you see that as a great option?  Rookie CB's typically have a long learning curve. 

I'm open to suggestions but I don't see many options in FA today - Carlos Rogers has become a slot guy.  Terrell Thomas might be the best available FA right now.  Whoever it may be, the Jets aren't exactly blazing a trail towards inviting any.  Probably the draft is the only remaining source.

It pretty much is if you're looking for CB starters.  I thought Jonathan Joseph could yet be a cap casualty but I think that ship has sailed.  Most cap casualties should have happened by now. 

We all saw how the top CB prospect (Milliner) in the draft struggled last year - do you see that as a great option?  Rookie CB's typically have a long learning curve. 

I'm open to suggestions but I don't see many options in FA today - Carlos Rogers has become a slot guy.  Terrell Thomas might be the best available FA right now.  Whoever it may be, the Jets aren't exactly blazing a trail towards inviting any.  Probably the draft is the only remaining source.

Check the roster we have CBs that can play opposite Milliner.

Check the roster we have CBs that can play opposite Milliner.

I did.  One name was Walls who went into Rex' doghouse shortly after starting - his snaps dropped to nothing. 

Are you suggesting Ras-I Dowling, moving Davis from slot, Lankster?  Who do you see there?

If you're happy with our roster, fine.  Obviously, I don't agree.  Not at CB.

And obviously Idzik doesn't agree - why do you think he was linked with 9 CB free agents?  

It pretty much is if you're looking for CB starters. I thought Jonathan Joseph could yet be a cap casualty but I think that ship has sailed. Most cap casualties should have happened by now.

We all saw how the top CB prospect (Milliner) in the draft struggled last year - do you see that as a great option? Rookie CB's typically have a long learning curve.

I'm open to suggestions but I don't see many options in FA today - Carlos Rogers has become a slot guy. Terrell Thomas might be the best available FA right now. Whoever it may be, the Jets aren't exactly blazing a trail towards inviting any. Probably the draft is the only remaining source.

There is plenty of player movement to come. Jackson was cut yesterday. C Johnson isn't done yet. Joesph isnt done yet. One thing you can bet on, this isn't the Jets final roster, no reason to think they won't have a top D as usual

There is plenty of player movement to come. Jackson was cut yesterday. C Johnson isn't done yet. Joesph isnt done yet. One thing you can bet on, this isn't the Jets final roster, no reason to think they won't have a top D as usual

I'm glad you have so much confidence. 

This isn't directed at you specifically but I find it more than a bit irresponsible of those who are preaching demanding patience (by dismissing and actually shooting down anyone who shows an iota of impatience) of fans yet are not offering alternatives as to who they see the Jets landing.  At CB in particular, what cap casualties are expected?  I offered Jonathan Joseph but beyond him, who does anyone see?  What is this "patience" all about?

Joseph is due 11M but the cap charge would be 7.5M if cut.  I think this would've happened by now.  We'll see. 

I'm beginning to think that John's on a three-year plan towards the playoffs.  I don't see him filling the holes we have this year.  Not at this glacial pace.  And maybe it's a good thing.  I don't know.

Archived