Marqise Lee is just as good or better than Sammy Watkins. Yea, I said it.

Villain The Foe

I read a quote from a guy who said that Marqise Lee would be a waste of a pick. It kinda blew me away the thought itself. 

I swear people simply go with what is told to them repeatedly on TV. Sammy Wakins and Marqise Lee have very similar collegiate numbers

Watkins: 240 rec, 3391 yds, 27TD's http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/512839/sammy-watkins

Lee:       248 rec, 3655 yds, 29TD's http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/513334/marqise-lee

The only difference between the two is that Watkins had his best year going into the draft while Lee had his last in 2012 when he wasnt eligible. 

Watkins in his 2nd year, 2012 missed 3 games and ended up with 57 catches for 708 yds and 3 TDs. 

Lee  in his 3rd year, 2013 missed 3 games and end up with 57 catches for 791 and 4 TDs. 

The two other years combined for both players. 

Watkins: 183 catches, 2683 yds, 24td's (missed 1 game freshman year)

Lee:        191 catches, 2864 yds, 25td's

These guys production wise are virtually similar. Where I say that Lee may be even better than Wakins is when you look at the numbers on a per game basis. Lets use their best seasons and compare. 

Games with 5+ catches: 

Watkins: 11

Lee: 12

Games with 10+ catches

Watkins: 3

Lee: 7

100+ yd receiving games

Watkins: 8

Lee: 8

150+ yd receiving games

Lee: 6

200+ yd receiving games

Watkins: 1 (2nd & 3rd closest game yd totals were 169 & 163 yards)

Lee: 1 (2nd & 3rd closest game yd totals were 197 & 192 yards)

300+ yd receiving games

Watkins: 0

Lee: 1 (345 yds)

2+ TD Games

Lee: 4

3+ TD Games

Watkins: 0

Lee: 1

Whats crazy about this is all the hype Watkins is getting yet I never even heard of this dude last year. Last year all you heard about was Lee and him not being eligible, but its like the hype had died down given his injuries and USC's QB problem this year. 

If the Jets are on the clock at 18 and Lee and cooks are both on the board I would say that the Jets only problem the Jets will be deciding which good WR to take. Bottomline, If Watkins is a top 3 to top 5 pick in this years draft then having a guy like Lee available at 18 is just incredible. Brandin Cooks put up similar numbers to both Lee and Watkins as well and played against the same competition. The only difference is that Lee on a individual game seems to be a bit more explosive with the stats. 

Out of the 3 WR's, Watkins is the only WR in his best statistical year to go multiple games without scoring a touchdown. Both Lee and Cooks never went multiple games without scoring and they both tied for the longest game scoring streak (5) to Watkin's (4). 

To conclude, Lee is not a waste of a pick....far from it,  Cooks is a beast and all the pressure is on Watkins to live up to that top 3 talent/best WR in the draft tag. 

No, no, no. You trade up past the Steelers and grab Lee. Not all of these GMs will follow these stupid mock drafts and devalue players they have high interest in. But before their sophomore year I felt Lee and Watkins were the next Julio and AJ Green in terms of impact although Watkins had a sh*tty season. Had they been able to leave last season their situation would be flipped.

Whats crazy about this is all the hype Watkins is getting yet I never even heard of this dude last year.

Watkins was a huge deal as a freshman. Best freshman WR in the nation. IIRC he was the top recruit out of HS too.

I think Cooks and Lee are high quality WR prospects, but wouldn't outright take them over Watkins on draft day. Maaaaaybe Cooks...no.

I've provided game film and presented a case against Watkins earlier but it didn't elicit a single response.  I think most people mind-numbingly accept everything they read.  (The experts say so!)  All I ask is that you view the tape and come develop your own conclusion. 

Watkin's numbers were far and away gained on screens and handoffs (67%).  Route-running has not been his strength.  As I mentioned earlier when you watch his tape there are a ton of contested balls especially on the sidelines.  He doesn't separate because he doesn't run crisp routes.  He can beat college DB's deep but pretty much the entire field can (heck, Stephen Hill averaged 29 yds per catch).  He's a glorified RB, not that this is a bad thing but not good for Geno's development.

If he's sitting there with Lee, Evans, Beckham or Cooks, I'd pass on Watkins every single time.  He would not be of help in developing Geno's reads because he couldn't be relied upon to be in a certain place at a certain time like the other rookies or preferably, veterans would. 

As I said before, this is 2014's version of Gholston in the sense that while Watkins can play, expectations for him are going to far exceed his productivity and he's not going to help Schaub out in Oakland like you might think.  I predict more pick-6's from Matt next season.

Watkins was a huge deal as a freshman. Best freshman WR in the nation. IIRC he was the top recruit out of HS too.

I think Cooks and Lee are high quality WR prospects, but wouldn't outright take them over Watkins on draft day. Maaaaaybe Cooks...no.

But at the same time was second banana to Hopkins who went late 1st last year.  As Villain points out, he essentially came out of nowhere to be mentioned as a top 5 pick and comparisons to AJ Green.  I find it all quite curious.

But at the same time was second banana to Hopkins who went late 1st last year.  As Villain points out, he essentially came out of nowhere to be mentioned as a top 5 pick and comparisons to AJ Green.  I find it all quite curious.

This just isn't true, nor have I read any comps to AJ Green. Green is bigger and better. He played second fiddle to Hopkins last year while being suspended for two games and then injured, but he was the guy in 2011 and was dominant again this year. Watkins just isn't a guy who came out of nowhere, he's been a big name for a while now.

This just isn't true, nor have I read any comps to AJ Green. Green is bigger and better. He played second fiddle to Hopkins last year while being suspended for two games and then injured, but he was the guy in 2011 and was dominant again this year. Watkins just isn't a guy who came out of nowhere, he's been a big name for a while now.

What I've read is that he's the best since AJ Green and Mayock calls him the best WR prospect in the last 10 years.  And he's considered a shoe-in for the top 5.  And size isn't everything.  This alone doesn't make Green the best.  But I digress as my main point is he's hugely overrated and I really hope he doesn't fall to the Jets.  I want no part of him.

I think we've reached a point in the NFL where staying away from USC WR's is probably the best way to go.

Is that why half the Jets front office flew to USC to have dinner with Lee?  Okay. 

And what a strange angle.  Here you have a school attended by new and different prospects every year with changing coaching staffs yet we should believe that every prospect at a particular position will be a cookie cutter of the previous ones.  Forgive me for failing to see an iota of logic placed here.

What I've read is that he's the best since AJ Green and Mayock calls him the best WR prospect in the last 10 years.  And he's considered a shoe-in for the top 5.  And size isn't everything.  This alone doesn't make Green the best.  But I digress as my main point is he's hugely overrated and I really hope he doesn't fall to the Jets.  I want no part of him.

He is the best WR prospect since AJ Green. Size is a pretty big reason why I would outright take Green over Watkins. He is a top 5 player in this draft.

Is that why half the Jets front office flew to USC to have dinner with Lee?  Okay. 

And what a strange angle.  Here you have a school attended by new and different prospects every year with changing coaching staffs yet we should believe that every prospect at a particular position will be a cookie cutter of the previous ones.  Forgive me for failing to see an iota of logic placed here.

dURLAJt.gif

He is the best WR prospect since AJ Green. Size is a pretty big reason why I would outright take Green over Watkins. He is a top 5 player in this draft.

That's prevailing wisdom.  Have you looked at his tape?  Have you seen the way he gains yardage in the NCAA?  Do you think it will translate wel in the NFL? Great discussion.

Ahhh, don't bother.  Just continue to listen to the hype like everyone did with Gholston.  The experts never miss.  Top 5 players never bust.

That's prevailing wisdom.  Have you looked at his tape?  Have you seen the way he gains yardage in the NCAA?  Do you think it will translate wel in the NFL? Great discussion.

Ahhh, don't bother.  Just continue to listen to the hype like everyone did with Gholston.  The experts never miss.  Top 5 players never bust.

Yes

I could see Lee going to a bad team and disappearing, but if he gets on the right team with a good passing game, he might be great. I don't think he's a transcendent talent that can overcome a bad QB.

"If Lee gets on a team with a good passing game he could be good, however if he gets on a team with a bad passing game, he could be not good."     Reallly putting yourself out there on this one T0mas.

i wouldn't either. Few would, if any. But I agree with his main point. Prior to the combine we were talking about it and I basically said the same thing.

...that Lee could be as good a Watkins. 

Archived