PFF: Milliner Ranked High For Second Half Rookies

RutgersJetFan

Interesting.

Rookies in Focus: Second-Half Risers
Steve Palazzolo | April 29, 2014

We’ve now taken a close look at last year’s rookie edge rushers, offensive tackles, and interior linemen in close detail, but this week’s theme is not position specific. Instead, we’re taking a look at some of the rookies that showed a big second-half improvement.

There’s an obvious learning curve for any rookie entering the NFL, but some handle it better than others. With first impressions perhaps skewing our views more than ever due to social media’s inherent ability to overreact, we often jump to conclusions on prospects while wasting no time to assign the “bust” label. However, all prospects develop at different rates, and this particular group may have needed the first half of the season to adjust to the speed of the league.

There’s no guarantee that any of these players will continue their growth, particularly on only a half-season sample size of success, but it’s a always good to see rookies show improvement as the season progresses.

**It’s important to note that grades are not comparable across positions, therefore each player’s improvement is not truly being evaluated on the same scale. Our own Sam Monson has more information on the best way to use PFF Grades.

Screen_Shot_2014_04_29_at_11_09_08_PM.pn

Round 2, No. 33: John Cyprien, Jacksonville Jaguars

Role: 15 Starts at safety.

Click for an in-depth profile on Cyprien, showing his second half improvement.

Cyprien 1st Half 2nd Half Overall Overall -19.4 +1.9 -17.5 Coverage -14.6 -0.2 -14.8 Vs. Run -7.8 +1.4 -6.4

Round 2, No. 52: Jamie Collins, New England Patriots
Role: Played in all 18 games (including playoffs), mostly as a reserve before starting both playoff games.

Collins 1st Half 2nd Half (incl. playoffs) Overall Overall -2.9 +15.0 +12.1 Coverage -2.0 +5.2 +3.2 Vs. Run -1.7 +3.6 +1.9 Pass Rush +0.7 +5.6 +6.3

Round 1, No. 19: Justin Pugh, New York Giants
Role: Started all 16 games at right tackle.

Click for an in-depth profile on Pugh, showing his second half improvement.

Pugh 1st Half 2nd Half Overall Overall -4.9 +12.0 +7.1 Pass Block -3.7 +2.1 -1.6 Run Block -4.8 +7.3 -4.8

Round 2, No. 44: Kawann Short, Carolina Panthers
Role: 17 games as part of defensive line rotation (including playoffs), playing 50.8% of the team’s snaps.

Short 1st Half 2nd Half (incl. playoffs) Overall Overall +2.7 +17.3 +20.0 Vs. Run +0.7 +8.4 +9.1 Pass Rush +1.1 +6.8 +7.9

Round 1, No 9. : Dee Milliner, New York Jets
Role: 13 Games, 12 starts at cornerback.

Milliner 1st 7 Games Last 6 Games Overall Overall -7.5 +4.9 -2.6 Coverage -10.9 +3.5 -7.4 Vs. Run +1.8 -0.3 +1.5

Round 1, No. 15: Kenny Vaccaro, New Orleans Saints
Role: 14 starts at safety, including 276 snaps covering the slot.

Vaccaro 1st Half 2nd Half Overall Overall -4.6 +6.5 +1.9 Coverage -3 +5.3 +2.3 Vs. Run +2.1 +3.2 +5.3

Round 1, No. 4: Lane Johnson, Philadelphia Eagles
Role: Started all 17 games (including playoffs) at right tackle.

Click for an in-depth profile on Johnson, showing his second half improvement.

Johnson 1st Half 2nd Half (incl. playoffs) Overall Overall -12.7 +14.9 +2.2 Pass Block -13.7 +5.5 -8.2 Run Block +0.4 +8.4 +8.8

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/04/29/rookies-in-focus-second-half-risers/

Brian Costello provides this update from defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman on Dee Milliner.

There has been a lot of concern about the Jets cornerback situation as it stands right now.  Courtney Aurillo highlights some of the possibilities for the Jets in the 2014 NFL Draft and cornerback or wide receiver seem to be the most logical options.  But as Tom Shane mentioned on JetNation Radio this week:

If we go corner, if we go defense again in the first round, i’m going to hurt myself. I’m putting it out there on the air, We have got to stop, if the coach is a defensive mastermind you don’t need a first round pick at every position. he has to make a corner one of these days, go do that, make it Rex, make a corner. That’s what you are here for, the offense is putrid.

Everyone seems to believe that Dee Milliner is ready to take over the # 1 CB position.  We will find out what the Jets really think of Dimitri Patterson and Darrin Walls on draft day.  If the Jets avoid CB in round 1 & 2 and dedicate themselves to improving the offense; then maybe Rex is doing what Tom Shane suggested and he is setting out to “make a corner”.

Here is a thread in our forums about the  Specifically about how happy people would be to see Tom hurt himself.

Milliner wasn't even supposed to get to 9 during the pre-draft talks. It was luck that got him there ("luck" - thanks script writer!), and it would probably be a bigger deal if there wasn't that whole Revis thing.

Anyway, off the top of my head I remember Miliner, Johnson, and Collins being the combine freaks at their positions. I'm sure Cyprien and Vacarro were the top two free safeties as far as workout numbers go, with Thomas (4th, Steeler) putting up big numbers as a potential SS. There's got to be something to take out of that. You need the right numbers for the position/role you're going to be playing or something...

Anyway, Milliner did  a whole lot of things right this year. Yes, he struggled early after missing camp and getting injured, but he kept his mouth shut, stayed out of trouble, and put in the work. That attitude alone is worth it's weight and should get some respect.

Anyone else tired of all the jets coaches. Saying "sky's the limit " or "he will be one of the great ones" ! With all the great players they have. They should you would think they went 14-2 not 8-8 ! Bottom line is we played well against bad teams. The last 4 games !

Milliner handled himself perfect last year...especially the benching like Larz said. Not by any means a diva CB like so many are in this league.  Just a hard nosed kid from bama who I feel will live up to his #9 overall potential.  

I'd be interested to see how his numbers stacked up in the second half.  Improvement is nice, but he was worse than Vaccaro both halves in that rating system. I would like to see how he rated against all corners in the 2nd half and/or what the hell that rating system meant.

Anyone else tired of all the jets coaches. Saying "sky's the limit " or "he will be one of the great ones" ! With all the great players they have. They should you would think they went 14-2 not 8-8 ! Bottom line is we played well against bad teams. The last 4 games !

You may not like the guy, but trying to completely dismiss his play at the end of the season is a tad excessive.  I don't care how bad the opposing team was overall, 10 PDs and 3 INTs over the last two games was absolutely fantastic.  And the guys he was lined up against in Gordon and Wallace aren't exactly bad players themselves.  Gordon led the league in receiving yards.  Not to mention, in the Jets' first game vs MIA, they had their asses completely kicked while Milliner had 2 PDs and 0 INTs (and all of Tannehill, Wallace, and Hartline had subsequently better games), so it's fairly safe to say that performance had to do with a bit more than just the team they were playing against.

You may not like the guy, but trying to completely dismiss his play at the end of the season is a tad excessive.  I don't care how bad the opposing team was overall, 10 PDs and 3 INTs over the last two games was absolutely fantastic.  And the guys he was lined up against in Gordon and Wallace aren't exactly bad players themselves.  Gordon led the league in receiving yards.  Not to mention, in the Jets' first game vs MIA, they had their asses completely kicked while Milliner had 2 PDs and 0 INTs (and all of Tannehill, Wallace, and Hartline had subsequently better games), so it's fairly safe to say that performance had to do with a bit more than just the team they were playing against.

I disagree. Maybe it's because corners are out of the line of sight sometimes on TV, but sitting in the stands for that one Milliner was getting torched for a good amount of that second Miami game and Wallace's lack of production was more a product of his own doing than Milliner's. I realize that Milliner's stat sheet looked good and he was even handed an award, but based on what I was watching he didn't play as well as what was purported.

I disagree. Maybe it's because corners are out of the line of sight sometimes on TV, but sitting in the stands for that one Milliner was getting torched for a good amount of that second Miami game and Wallace's lack of production was more a product of his own doing than Milliner's. I realize that Milliner's stat sheet looked good and he was even handed an award, but based on what I was watching he didn't play as well what was purported.

Outside of maybe Justin Miller and Ahmad Carroll at their tragicomic worst, I don't think I've ever seen an NFL cornerback play as badly as Milliner did in Cincinnati.

Outside of maybe Justin Miller and Ahmad Carroll at their tragicomic worst, I don't think I've ever seen an NFL cornerback play as badly as Milliner did in Cincinnati.

That was an abortion. I think Milliner's improvements, (though overstated IMO), in coverage were due to giving less cushion off the line and being targeted less, and where he made the most promising strides were with the insane amount of missed tackles that plagued him through something like Week 13-14.

Archived