12 Rookies are not making this team....

stugotz81

12 rookies are not making this team...and with that said...the Jets will be using some of these picks to trade up for a person of value.....whether that's in round 1 or round 2 or maybe even for an existing player like we did with Ivory last year....

Also, another possibility is the Jets drafting defense in round 1 and then making a trade for a Denarius Moore or even a Justin Blackmon since Beckham and Cooks would be gone by their next pick in round 2. This seems less likely but I think its possible.  

12 rookies are not making this team...and with that said...the Jets will be using some of these picks to trade up for a person of value.....whether that's in round 1 or round 2 or maybe even for an existing player like we did with Ivory last year....

Also, another possibility is the Jets drafting defense in round 1 and then making a trade for a Denarius Moore or even a Justin Blackmon since Beckham and Cooks would be gone by their next pick in round 2. This seems less likely but I think its possible.  

Justin Blackmon is probably not playing next year and why trade for Moore when you can draft a better receiver?

They have five picks in the sixth and seventh rounds. Those guys would have a tough time making the roster whether the Jets had 10 more picks or none. That's no excuse to trade picks away.

It doesn't matter if all 12 make the team. Take the best of the bunch and the rest will be free agents after training camp. There is no need to keep every draft pick. Those two OL draft picks last year did nothing by being on the roster, if they suck this year we cut them loose. Its all competition.

Justin Blackmon is probably not playing next year and why trade for Moore when you can draft a better receiver?

Good point...but he will still be more effective than Stephen Hill even if he sat out for the whole year.

12 won't make the team but drafting 12 gives you a higher percentage chance of finding quality people. better for 8 of 12 to make it than 4 of 6

Does it? I kinda like the idea of trading away some picks to get a person Idziks perceives as immediate value over someone trying to just make the team.  Dont get me wrong, not looking to trade away 4 or 5 picks here but I wouldnt mind grabbing 2 guys in the 2nd round.....lots of talent is going to fall into the 2nd round after tonight.

Does it? I kinda like the idea of trading away some picks to get a person Idziks perceives as immediate value over someone trying to just make the team.  Dont get me wrong, not looking to trade away 4 or 5 picks here but I wouldnt mind grabbing 2 guys in the 2nd round.....lots of talent is going to fall into the 2nd round after tonight.

don't disagree, just saying the fact that "everyone can't make the team" is not a reason in and of itself to trade picks.

I'd rather trade picks for selections next year than use them to trade up.

i actually think u may see some of that,,seattle model was to always have picks,, idzik may go from say 12 to 10 and then add 2 to our 7 or 8 next year

The only trade I would like is if we can move back into the first round using our second round pick and later picks. Otherwise I don't want to trade up. I'm sick of trading up for anything out of the first round. I don't need the Shonn Greene's or the Stephen Hill's eating up picks where we are confident that they are diamonds in the rough. Those picks that are used to trade up can at the very least be used to improve our depth. And remember Richard Sherman was a 5th round pick...a more Jets related pick was Jerricho Cotchery, he was a fourth round pick. I rather have more picks so that we can have a few more tickets for the lottery.

don't disagree, just saying the fact that "everyone can't make the team" is not a reason in and of itself to trade picks.

i disagree. Quantity over quality doesn't always work either ....I would be ok with trading a couple picks to move up on a Marquis Lee or someone else who may find themselves in the very early 2nd round.  

for all we know idzik may use some of the 12 to get extra 2015 picks..all crap shoot

Kind of makes sense just dump 2 late round picks for two similar picks last year.  12 players definitely won't make this team, I agree.

It doesn't matter if all 12 make the team. Take the best of the bunch and the rest will be free agents after training camp. There is no need to keep every draft pick. Those two OL draft picks last year did nothing by being on the roster, if they suck this year we cut them loose. Its all competition.

12 won't make the team but drafting 12 gives you a higher percentage chance of finding quality people. better for 8 of 12 to make it than 4 of 6

The problem with drafting 12 and keeping the best is that it can be hard to tell who is a quality person out of the lower tier players before it's time to cut them.  There are guys we have in camps all the time that turn out to be quality players elsewhere and others that appear to be developmental prospects that never develop.  With 12 picks I don't want to see too many guys like Campbell that are obviously developmental and won't be able to help the tema in 2014, but have to be kept on roster because of their "potential".   I want production sooner rather than later.  Once the roster is more settled, then I will happier to develop a couple of guys a year.

This is basically it.  The shotgun approach can work, but there is a specific kind of prospect they should be looking for. 

Archived