Chris Johnson's new number

NYJetsVets91

Chris Johnson bought #21 from Ellis Lankster... Lankster will take Cromartie's old number of 31. Sound familiar to anyone?... *Cough* LT *Cough*

-

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/05/jets_rb_chris_johnson_buys_new_jersey_number_from_teammate.html

-

11356604.pngBy Dom Cosentino/NJ.com 
Follow on Twitter 
on May 12, 2014 at 6:39 PM, updated May 13, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Reddit

When running back Chris Johnson signed with the Jets last month, only one thing was certain about his tenure in Florham Park: He would have to pick a new jersey number.

The No. 28, which Johnson had worn for all five of his previous NFL seasons with the Titans, was retired by the Jets two years ago in honor of Hall of Fame running back Curtis Martin.

Johnson had previously said he didn't know what number he would wear with the Jets. But Sunday night, he announced on his Instagram that he had settled on No. 21. The only explanation Johnson provided was this: "It's official I will be wearing # 21 this year prime time #JUICE"

No. 21 had belonged last season to backup cornerback Ellis Lankster. But Lankster wore worn No. 26 in 2011 and 2012, so he seemed to have no special attachment to No. 21.

Then again, Lankster also told his Twitter followers that Johnson had bucked up to get him to switch, which seemed to make the decision pretty easy:

It's not known what Johnson offered Lankster for the No. 21. But it is known that Lankster will now wear the No. 31 that became vacant when cornerback Antonio Cromartie left for the Cardinals after being released.

I understand when vets join a new team and want to wear the number they always have, and then will "buy it" from whoever's wearing it. But I don't get picking another number someone else is wearing, and then buying that. What? None of the other numbers available were suitable for you? Vick did this, and now Johnson. Is it some sort of ego/territorial thing? I'm a big shot, and I'll wear whatever number I want!

In the end, who cares? But that just seems a little weird to me.

I understand when vets join a new team and want to wear the number they always have, and then will "buy it" from whoever's wearing it. But I don't get picking another number someone else is wearing, and then buying that. What? None of the other numbers available were suitable for you? Vick did this, and now Johnson. Is it some sort of ego/territorial thing? I'm a big shot, and I'll wear whatever number I want!

Great post # 79.

While I agree with your point, I think it's fair to say that Lankster could use the money more than CJ (which to him, is probably a completely insignificant amount), so why the hell not?

I don't like seeing Vick wear number 1.... I'm surprised they let him do that

I really could give a ****less what numbers these dipsh*ts wear.

It matters when I am watching the game and I am constantly wondering why Ellis Lankster is on the field so much and playing run support (Dawan Landry).

You completely underestimate the irrational attachment we get to numbers and the insane amount of OCD type superstition involved. I have seen guys catch beatings for failing to wear their lucky socks to a playoff game. 

Probably.  But at the same time getting paid to change your shirt is freaking awesome. 

The entire custom license plate industry is based on these baseless desires.

you aren't wrong for pointing it out, Vick and Johnsons are big shots in their decline.  There was a time you could play John Madden football with Mike Vick and wreck anyone. It's wierd that the Jets would have a guy like that, and many fans will be genuinely surprised, if/when they actually make big plays. the fanbase isn't used to seeing that kind of thing. 

Archived