Rex Ryan looking to bolster NY Jets' defense with pair of castoffs from Bill Belichick's Patriots

F.Chowds

Outside linebacker Jermaine Cunningham and cornerback Ras-I Dowling were dumped by New England last August but both have a second chance in the NFL with Gang Green

Bill Belichick may have given up on outside linebacker Jermaine Cunningham and cornerback Ras-I Dowling last August, but Rex Ryan couldn’t care less whether the Patriots castoffs didn’t live up to the expectations of football’s preeminent genius.

He thinks they can revive their careers with the Jets.

“I don’t believe the one guy up in New England’s got all the answers,” Ryan told the Daily News. “I worry about ourselves, what we think of a player and how we evaluate a player. Do I respect the hell out of Bill? Absolutely. But if we think a player can help us, we don’t care how we get him.”

In some ways, Cunningham and Dowling are outliers, former second-round picks discarded so quickly by the team that once coveted them. In other ways, they epitomize the unforgiving NFL culture that routinely pushes former college standouts to the margins if they can’t stay healthy.

Cunningham and Dowling’s careers have been plagued by injuries and inconsistency, a deadly blend in an ultra-competitive environment with a shrinking margin of error for players.

“You can’t take anything for granted in this league,” Dowling said. “Anything can happen.”

Ryan, of course, isn’t giving Cunningham, the 53rd overall pick in the 2010 draft, and Dowling, the first player selected in the second round in 2011 (No. 33), another chance simply out of the goodness of his heart. He needs help at outside linebacker and cornerback, and isn’t concerned by the perception that Belichick wouldn’t have cut the cord on the high draft picks unless they weren’t good enough to play at this level.

“You had the same perception of a Ryan,” Ryan said. “If you let a defensive player go, why pick him up if he can’t play for you?... It could have been a logjam at (the position). Maybe they were looking for something else. You really don’t know. But again, I don’t care.”

Cunningham, who was a sack machine for the two-time national champions at the University of Florida, had just 3 ½ sacks in three seasons for the Patriots, hampered by a hamstring injury and sprained MCL before he was cut. He spent one month with the 49ers last year before the Jets signed him in November.

“Sometimes change is good,” said the 25-year-old Cunningham, who played two games for the Jets last season. “Every day my mentality is to just play up to the ability that everybody knows I have.”

Ryan has challenged the 6-3, 255-pound Cunningham at the backup SAM (strong side) linebacker spot, testing him mentally to do a variety of tasks like stopping the run, dropping into coverage and shadowing tight ends. “I’ll be shocked if he’s not a contributor for us,” Ryan said.

The Pats never make  a mistake on players- right? That is what the media thinks

Never.  Except Daniel Graham.  And Ty Warren.  And Eugene Wilson.  And Bethel Johnson.  And Ben Watson.  And Marquise Hill.  And Laurence Maroney.  And Chad Jackson.  And Terrence Wheatley.  And Ron Brace.  And Aaron Hernandez.  And Jermaine Cunningham.  And Chad Johnson.  And Aaron Dobson. 

Ryan has challenged the 6-3, 255-pound Cunningham at the backup SAM (strong side) linebacker spot, testing him mentally to do a variety of tasks like stopping the run, dropping into coverage and shadowing tight ends. “I’ll be shocked if he’s not a contributor for us,” Ryan said.

I find this is a little surprising.  I know Rex just talks up everybody, but with the guys they added, I saw Cunningham as a bubble guy - 2014's Ricky Sapp.  I don't remember Rex saying anything like this about Ricky Sapp.   Sapp got more of the Gholston comments - If anyone get something out of this young man it will be us, if he can succeed in the NFL he will here, he is showing flashes, now he just has to put it together.  

Never.  Except Daniel Graham.  And Ty Warren.  And Eugene Wilson.  And Bethel Johnson.  And Ben Watson.  And Marquise Hill.  And Laurence Maroney.  And Chad Jackson.  And Terrence Wheatley.  And Ron Brace.  And Aaron Hernandez.  And Jermaine Cunningham.  And Chad Johnson.  And Aaron Dobson. 

I get crushing Belichick for the sake of crushing Belichick, but this is not your best post.

Graham - How many busts have an 11 year career? :fighting0093: While not the receiver, he was a hell of a blocker.

Wislon - Another solid player who managed to last 8 years in the league.

Watson - Another solid player that managed to last 8 years in the league.

Warren - He was pretty good for seven years. Injuries shortened his career, but he was a good to very good player.

Maroney - Wish he did not dance as much, put he was good for the Patriots in his three full seasons and was kind of key for them in getting to the 2007 Superbowl.

Hernandez - Crush Belichick for ignoring his personality issues, but he as a very good player.

Dobson - For a rookie, especially compared to some of the other ones on your list, 37-519-4 is a pretty good season.

I get crushing Belichick for the sake of crushing Belichick, but this is not your best post.

Graham - How many busts have an 11 year career? :fighting0093: While not the receiver, he was a hell of a blocker.

Warren - He was pretty good for seven years. Injuries shortened his career, but he was a good to very good player.

Maroney - Wish he did not dance as much, put he was good for the Patriots in his three full seasons and was kind of key for them in getting to the 2007 Superbowl.

Hernandez - Crush Belichick for ignoring his personality issues, but he as a very good player.

Dobson - For a rookie, especially compared to some of the other ones on your list, 37-519-4 is a pretty good season.

Belichick sucks.

Belichick sucks.

Being this is a Jetfan message board I think 80 just took the lead in this debate. 

I would put Albert Haynesworth on top of that list. BB traded for this nut fully knowing he once tried to stomp and crush an oponents head who's helmet was off and caused serious injury to the guy. BB got what he deserved as Hayneworth played like the dog he is for NEP.

I would put Albert Haynesworth on top of that list. BB traded for this nut fully knowing he once tried to stomp and crush an oponents head who's helmet was off and caused serious injury to the guy. BB got what he deserved as Hayneworth played like the dog he is for NEP.

A 5th round pick for a guy that was among the most dominant D linemen in the league maybe 3 years prior?  I hate Little Bill as much as the next guy, but c'mon.

A 5th round pick for a guy that was among the most dominant D linemen in the league maybe 3 years prior?  I hate Little Bill as much as the next guy, but c'mon.

I wasnt talking about the value. I was talking about BB's character (lack of?) and how he adds a guy to the roster with red flag issues. Remember him stomping some guys head who didnt have a helmet on.? Starting a fight with a coach on the sideline? Yet BB thinks it was OK to add him to the roster. Same way he drafted Hernandez so     .....c'mon.

I wasnt talking about the value. I was talking about BB's character (lack of?) and how he adds a guy to the roster with red flag issues. Remember him stomping some guys head who didnt have a helmet on.? Starting a fight with a coach on the sideline? Yet BB thinks it was OK to add him to the roster. Same way he drafted Hernandez so     .....c'mon.

What is the latest on Goodson?  McKnight? Winslow?  Congrats to Cromatrie and his 12th kid.  Sanchez was arrested for sexual assault while at USC.  Braylon Edwards.  Santonio Holmes.  Shaun Ellis. 

While you have missed the boat on the Patriots character guy mantra as the bubble burst years ago.  The Jets do not exactly stay clear of people with questionable pasts or morals.

What is the latest on Goodson?  McKnight? Winslow?  Congrats to Cromatrie and his 12th kid.  Sanchez was arrested for sexual assault while at USC.  Braylon Edwards.  Santonio Holmes.  Shaun Ellis. 

While you have missed the boat on the Patriots character guy mantra as the bubble burst years ago.  The Jets do not exactly stay clear of people with questionable pasts or morals.

. Sanchez was found guilty of what? And you want to equate having top many kids or smoking weed with homicides?

IIRC, Ellis was clean when the Jets drafted him, but the Pats still jumped to sign him despite his suspension and arrest.

. Sanchez was found guilty of what? And you want to equate having top many kids or smoking weed with homicides?

You want to rip Belichick, 4-5 years after inncident, for taking a chance on after he stomped on the Cowboys. Is Haynesworth a POS? Yes. Belichick and the Patriots were not the first, much to Jet Nation's chagrin, or last team to sign/draft a player with issues or concerns.

Signing Haynesworth is much diffferent than signing Holmes? How? Holmes was arrested several times. Of course, like with most incidents involving players, the cases went away. He has been arrested for domestic assault, drug possession and disorderly conduct. Did the Jets not look the other way about past incicents? Yes, our respective teams got in bed with pieces of crap.

Drafting Hernandez is much diffferent than drafting Sanchez? Really? Hernandez liked pot...a lot....and got into some trouble while at UF. The murder wrap happened after being drafted, but I get that is an inconveinent truth omission in mission blame Bill. Anyways, back on point, Sanchez was arrested for sexual assault while at USC. That is a fact. As with Hernandez arrest at UF, nothing happened with it due to lack of evidence. Sanchez' arrest sounds like who? Ben Rapesberger. Again, our teams took chances on players because of a need.

Lets stop pretending the Jets did not take a chance on a player or chose to ignore past incidents.

IIRC, Ellis was clean when the Jets drafted him, but the Pats still jumped to sign him despite his suspension and arrest.

Not the point. 

I am sure Goodson was clean like the Patriots 7th round DB that was busted with a few pounds a couple of years ago.

The point is all teams think they can change a person (ignoring past) and it works sometimes.  And in the case of Hernandez, it did not.

Not the point. 

I am sure Goodson was clean like the Patriots 7th round DB that was busted with a few pounds a couple of years ago.

The point is all teams think they can change a person (ignoring past) and it works sometimes.  And in the case of Hernandez, it did not.

They only think they can change them if they are really big and can run really fast.  Small slow ones are unalterable scumbags.  

They only think they can change them if they are really big and can run really fast.  Small slow ones are unalterable scumbags.  

Word.

The guy lucks out with a 2nd string QB in the 6th round and all of a sudden he's the "football’s preeminent genius" Had Brady not turned into Joe Hardy he was probably going to be fired. 

Where would Bill Walsh be without 3rd round pick Joe Montana? 

Ras I and Jermaine have had their, but were all too often injured or in one instance Cunningham's was PED suspended.

Archived