regarding idziks drafting best player available game plan

ylekram

is concerned, its hard to argue that any of idziks picks were best player available. you want to build thru the draft, you better be able to draft. I know its early still, but its not looking good.

1. calvin pryor- one could argue that he was the top safety in the draft, but as top player, I think there are many arguments to be had. I wasn't that impress with his play coming out of Louisville, besides his hard hitting style. besides, drafting a first round safety is the equivilant to drafting a top 10 guard or 1st round running back. I just wouldn't do it. he should turn out to be a fine player, but I just don't see an ed reed or earl Thomas in him.

2.jace amaro- wasn't the best tight end in the 2nd, never mind best player. he might turn into a decent/good player, but his inability to block and his slow footed, awkward ways, he doesn't have greatness in him. called the pick at home

3.mcdougle- major reach and a by-product of whiffing in free agency. could of been had atleast a full round later if not more. seems to had a good camp till the injury. hopefully we find out next year what this kids got. but to be honest, we may never know. rookies coming off a knee injury before ever taking a meaningful snap? I wouldn't bank on it.

4.saunders- most baffling pick of the 12 picks. honestly don't know what idzik was thinking. another massive reach

5. dokota dozier- this was the one pick I agreed with. cool name and everything. I would have to admit, I am a little biased here. called the pick at home

the rest I am not going into. all these players are hit or miss as expected in the later rounds.

if idzik wants to build thru the draft, he better start figuring out what the draft is about.

botton line is, there is a laundry list of better/more productive players that could have been had instead of idziks picks. hindsight, I know

top this off with a questionable free agency and it makes you wonder

I feel that given the small sample size, our top two picks are turning out nicely. They're not outstanding, but they're developing. Pryor made a few plays in coverage on Monday and has shown the ability to get up the field and be a disruptive force in the backfield. It's just going to take him a while to develop consistency. 

Amaro has been iffy, I admit. That being said, besides a huge drop he had a pretty good game on Monday. He's slowly growing into his role. Personally, I'd like to see more of Cumberland and Amaro on the field at the same time. 

The rest of the picks? Yeah, they kind of sucked but you're digging for fools gold if you're expecting a rookie late round pick to come in and make an immediate impact. It happens occasionally, but that's definitely the exception and not the rule.

That being said, I still would've picked Dennard over Pryor. 

is concerned, its hard to argue that any of idziks picks were best player available. you want to build thru the draft, you better be able to draft. I know its early still, but its not looking good.

1. calvin pryor- one could argue that he was the top safety in the draft, but as top player, I think there are many arguments to be had. I wasn't that impress with his play coming out of Louisville, besides his hard hitting style. besides, drafting a first round safety is the equivilant to drafting a top 10 guard or 1st round running back. I just wouldn't do it. he should turn out to be a fine player, but I just don't see an ed reed or earl Thomas in him.

2.jace amaro- wasn't the best tight end in the 2nd, never mind best player. he might turn into a decent/good player, but his inability to block and his slow footed, awkward ways, he doesn't have greatness in him. called the pick at home

Calvin can become a Polamalu type, which we'd all be totally fine with. 

Jace can learn to block. As a pass catcher, I think he'll do pretty well. He's a big dude and he's got speed.

The rest I don't really know if I can disagree. I do think Mcdougle was a pretty good pick, but I do believe he woulda been there in the 4th.

Saunders is horrible. 

I'm ok with Pryor, and think in the long run will be very happy with McDougle, and Dozier. Didn't like the TE pick, didn't hate it either. Think the Jets got to nervous McDougle wasn't going to be there in the 4th, and passed on their top WR left, and lost out on him, and had to shuffle the back up plan at that position.

Think that WR was John Brown to which if it was will make me really pissed, he would be a perfect fit here returning punts, and stretching the field while being able to help the screen game out.

Can you perform this exercise with every draft from the last six years thx.

Idzik had 12 picks. Every team gets 7. It's like the equivalent of of blowing 2 drafts. This was a historically deep year.

this guy's drafting is far worse than Rex's coaching. And let's not even talk about his free agency performance. 

Idzik had 12 picks. Every team gets 7. It's like the equivalent of of blowing 2 drafts. This was a historically deep year.

this guy's drafting is far worse than Rex's coaching. And let's not even talk about his free agency performance.

Conspiracy theory: what if Rex is an inflexible moron who can't identify his players' strengths and weaknesses and, as a result, makes every non-DL player he touches look like sh*t?

Calvin can become a Polamalu type, which we'd all be totally fine with. 

Jace can learn to block. As a pass catcher, I think he'll do pretty well. He's a big dude and he's got speed.

The rest I don't really know if I can disagree. I do think Mcdougle was a pretty good pick, but I do believe he woulda been there in the 4th.

Saunders is horrible. 

just to clarify, I don't think pryor or amaro horrible bad picks, just not the best player available. both players will probably be good players, but I thought there were better players available at those picks

Conspiracy theory: what if Rex is an inflexible moron who can't identify his players' strengths and weaknesses and, as a result, makes every non-DL player he touches look like sh*t?

then there would be more talent on the roster for the next guy.   Rex level of suckitude is not related to Idzik's inability to draft. 

Four safeties picked in the first round is hardly the equivalent of a luxury pick. It's a passing league that is becoming even friendlier to that aspect of the game, which is why there is a premium on CBs and Safeties and why the first RB is off the board towards the end of the 2nd round.

regardless of what 3 others teams in the 1st round did, I just don't see the value in a hard hitting safety in the first round. the nfl has become a passing league for sure, but it has also become a penalty league for the hard hitting safety. I don't think he was the best player available. not at 18

Four safeties picked in the first round is hardly the equivalent of a luxury pick. It's a passing league that is becoming even friendlier to that aspect of the game, which is why there is a premium on CBs and Safeties and why the first RB is off the board towards the end of the 2nd round.

also, if idzik wanted a safety with pryors skillset, there was one available in free agency that didn't break the bank, if I recall.

just to clarify, I don't think pryor or amaro horrible bad picks, just not the best player available. both players will probably be good players, but I thought there were better players available at those picks

I agree.

I was kind of hoping for dennard or cooks. I was big on Pryor but I also thought Clinton-dix was better. 

Yea, if your second draft is comprised of a two 4th rounders and three 7th rounders.... 

regardless of what 3 others teams in the 1st round did, I just don't see the value in a hard hitting safety in the first round. the nfl has become a passing league for sure, but it has also become a penalty league for the hard hitting safety. I don't think he was the best player available. not at 18

Has Pryor been flagged yet? He hits hard, but plays within the confines of the rules. He's been on the field for almost every single snap in a traditionally very difficult defense to grasp, all as a rookie. 

Also, maybe you should care what those other teams did in the first round, considering they were Green Bay, San Fran and the Cardinals. And the year before, there were four safeties selected in the first 33 picks: New Orleans, San Fran again, Cowboys and the Ravens.  

Has Pryor been flagged yet? He hits hard, but plays within the confines of the rules. He's been on the field for almost every single snap in a traditionally very difficult defense to grasp, all as a rookie. 

Also, maybe you should care what those other teams did in the first round, considering they were Green Bay, San Fran and the Cardinals. And the year before, there were four safeties selected in the first 33 picks: New Orleans, San Fran again, Cowboys and the Ravens.  

meh. I havnt seen many hard hits from pryor since his concussion. I wouldn't draft a safety in the first round, especially when other,better players of need were available at 18. by the way, wasn't it you that made a bet about kelvin Benjamin? just wondering

I for one care little for the tone of those posters that would assume that we have wiffed our draft picks merely because they have all looked subpar thus far.  Indeed a business is built on the development of assets not on the instant performance.  Let the picks blossom, exercise patience my dear gentlemen.  It is not for nothing that those who are impatient are often referred to as plebeians and blue collar beggars.

meh. I havnt seen many hard hits from pryor since his concussion. I wouldn't draft a safety in the first round, especially when other,better players of need were available at 18. by the way, wasn't it you that made a bet about kelvin Benjamin? just wondering

He rocked Marshall at the goal line which jarre the ball loose and caused an incompletion and has a number of big hits on the ball-carrier behind the LOS.  Fair enough, you wouldn't draft one in the first round, but many of the best  teams in the league disagree with you.  

Don't recall any bet, the only thing I said of Benji was that he was the best deep threat in the draft and while I hate evaluating big wide receivers he could be either Alshon or Limas sweed and I was leaning more towards the former than latter.  I liked him as a first rounder, but wasn't willing to say he was OROY type of player, which clearly he is.

3.mcdougle- major reach and a by-product of whiffing in free agency. could of been had atleast a full round later if not more. seems to had a good camp till the injury. hopefully we find out next year what this kids got. but to be honest, we may never know. rookies coming off a knee injury before ever taking a meaningful snap? I wouldn't bank on it.

4.saunders- most baffling pick of the 12 picks. honestly don't know what idzik was thinking. another massive reach

5. dokota dozier- this was the one pick I agreed with. cool name and everything. I would have to admit, I am a little biased here. called the pick at home

the rest I am not going into. all these players are hit or miss as expected in the later rounds.

if idzik wants to build thru the draft, he better start figuring out what the draft is about.

botton line is, there is a laundry list of better/more productive players that could have been had instead of idziks picks. hindsight, I know

top this off with a questionable free agency and it makes you wonder

Do u know what BPA means? It certainly doesn't stand for "the player who will have the best career in the NFL". It means the players is BPA on that teams draft board. How can u claim those players were NOT BPA on Idziks board? U have inside sources?

If the issue is the NFL being a passing league, take a corner. As the original post noted, safeties, guards and backs had better be all world if you're gonna use your top pick on one. "MIght be Polomalu/Reed" is not the same thing as being one of those guys. Concern also is the big hitter thing is shiny 15 yard penalty trinkets in today's NFL.

If the issue is the NFL being a passing league, take a corner. As the original post noted, safeties, guards and backs had better be all world if you're gonna use your top pick on one. "MIght be Polomalu/Reed" is not the same thing as being one of those guys. Concern also is the big hitter thing is shiny 15 yard penalty trinkets in today's NFL.

Justin Gilbert, who's struggling mightily, and phenom Kyler fuller, who Rex was rumored to love, were already off the board. The Jets liked Pryor over the rest of the CBs on the board, who have all seemingly struggled in their rookie years. 

That line of thinking is old, safeties play a premier position in today's NFL and that's been highlighted over the last two years with 8 safeties going in the first round and teams like Denver spending big money on free-agent safeties.  

I never said he had to be Reed or Polamalu in order to warrant the selection, that would be ridiculous. He's a rookie who's playing almost every single snap in one of the more complex systems in the league, which is also a top 10 unit. As of now, I like him more than almost any defensive back selected that's not named Kyle Fuller, who wasn't available for our selection.

Again, through his first three games, how many penalties does Pryor have for illegal hits?

McDougal pick was the pivot where our draft turned south. Now i agree that he has the potential to be a starter come next season BUT this had the scent of need based desperation pick. We left Gabe Jackson, Donte Montcrief on the board. Both of whom would be starting on this team.

YES!!!!when we passed on Montcrief I was mad this kid would be great next to decker god I was mad, and to think McDougal would be there when they picked in the 4th they had the what 4th pick in the 4th, god yeah I am still scratching my head on that one, The WRs we picked in my opinion suck the rest of draft I liked it was depth, imo. we are still rebuilding so depth is good. I think next year we move up and get that #1 WR would lo to see that. 

Archived