If The Jets Start 1-9....

Warfish

$12 million dollar rental, $7 million dollar multi-year deal to a flake, and LOL at Sanders choosing the Jets over the Peyton. 

They're all rentals whether the terms are 1 or 4 years. 

Fact is Woody told Idzik they're not interested in Revis who relayed that to Rex.  If Rex had his druthers this team would be in a much better position on both sides of the ball.  That fact is pretty much indisputable.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're all rentals whether the terms are 1 or 4 years.

Fact is Woody told Idzik they're not interested in Revis who relayed that to Rex. If Rex had his druthers this team would be in a much better position on both sides of the ball. That fact is pretty much indisputable.

So, Rex knows what he's doing and should be retained?

I'm so confused.

I honestly don't recall how many games he won against HOF QB's in the playoffs on the road, but if he had a Mark Sanchez type of QB to do it with, then you're 100% right. 

Singletary had Alex Smith, who was considered a monolithic bust until Harbaugh came in, designed an offense that worked to Smith's strengths, and turned Smith into one of the highest paid players in the league.

Fact is Woody told Idzik they're not interested in Revis who relayed that to Rex.  If Rex had his druthers this team would be in a much better position on both sides of the ball.  That fact is pretty much indisputable.

What would this Rex-built team look like today if he had his "druthers"? Please, elucidate. 

So, Rex knows what he's doing and should be retained?

I'm so confused.

I think at this point his minimum is 8 wins.  I don't think it's particularly fair given the hand he's been dealt but it is what it is.

The ilk will have their pound of flesh.

Singletary had Alex Smith, who was considered a monolithic bust until Harbaugh came in, designed an offense that worked to Smith's strengths, and turned Smith into one of the highest paid players in the league.

So just how high do you think Geno Smith will rank when Darrell Bevell comes on board?  Top three I suppose?

What would this Rex-built team look like today if he had his "druthers"? Please, elucidate. 

Revis, Milliner, Mcdougle, Wilson is all you need to know..  that alone would equate to a couple more wins.

The team has been snake bitten with injuries and a miserly caretaker.

So just how high do you think Geno Smith will rank when Darrell Bevell comes on board?  Top three I suppose?

Considering that Rex has fielded teams with bad QB play every year he's been here, coincidentally, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the next head coach might be able to improve upon those results. 

Considering that Rex has fielded teams with bad QB play every year he's been here, coincidentally, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the next head coach might be able to improve upon those results. 

If the next coach is given better players than the ones they have now, then I would agree.  However, Geno is statistically the worst QB in the NFL right now.  How much better do you think he'd be with Bevel?  Top five?  Top 10?  Top 15?  Would anything worse make that much difference?

And remember, I'm not saying that I don't have my days when Rex drives me nuts and I want him gone.  However, when I take a deep breath look at what he has done, with the players he's had, I have a hard time believing that any coach would do much better, and most would do worse.  I may be wrong, but we'll never know.  Rex will be fired and the new guy will be given an upgraded roster.

They're all rentals whether the terms are 1 or 4 years.

Fact is Woody told Idzik they're not interested in Revis who relayed that to Rex. If Rex had his druthers this team would be in a much better position on both sides of the ball. That fact is pretty much indisputable.

what coach wouldn't want revis or any hall of famer if he had the choice ?

If the next coach is given better players than the ones they have now, then I would agree.  However, Geno is statistically the worst QB in the NFL right now.  How much better do you think he'd be with Bevel?  Top five?  Top 10?  Top 15?  Would anything worse make that much difference?

And remember, I'm not saying that I don't have my days when Rex drives me nuts and I want him gone.  However, when I take a deep breath look at what he has done, with the players he's had, I have a hard time believing that any coach would do much better, and most would do worse.  I may be wrong, but we'll never know.  Rex will be fired and the new guy will be given an upgraded roster.

Here's the thing: when alllllllllll the players yield the saaaaaaame results despite the players and GMs and coordinators changing, it's probably time to look for the common denominator, especially when that common denominator is supposed to be running the whole operation. The team is bad because Rex is an ineffectual leader and the resulting attrition has caught up with him entirely. 

The Jets' problem is a lack of talent. That isn't on Rex. I don't care how many they lose. I support this coach and in fact he's one of the only above average parts of  the team.  THey gave him a knife and sent him off to a gun fight. the fact that any of these games are even competitive is because of Rex. There's not an alternate universe where a different coach takes this band of misfits to a winning season. 

Rex didn't want Revis, DRC, or Emmanuel Sanders.

Definitely not...he doesnt value any of those players skill sets.

$12 million dollar rental, $7 million dollar multi-year deal to a flake, and LOL at Sanders choosing the Jets over the Peyton. 

Decker did.  

Philip Adams, Darren Walls - Rex's hand in the cookie jar.

The Jets' problem is a lack of talent. That isn't on Rex. I don't care how many they lose. I support this coach and in fact he's one of the only above average parts of  the team.  THey gave him a knife and sent him off to a gun fight. the fact that any of these games are even competitive is because of Rex. There's not an alternate universe where a different coach takes this band of misfits to a winning season. 

keep fighting the good fight bro..  perfectly stated.

Here's the thing: when alllllllllll the players yield the saaaaaaame results despite the players and GMs and coordinators changing, it's probably time to look for the common denominator, especially when that common denominator is supposed to be running the whole operation. 

Finally someone reasonable blaming Woody. 

Rank the following coaches: Rex, Herm, Lombardi

Here's the thing: when alllllllllll the players yield the saaaaaaame results despite the players and GMs and coordinators changing, it's probably time to look for the common denominator, especially when that common denominator is supposed to be running the whole operation. The team is bad because Rex is an ineffectual leader and the resulting attrition has caught up with him entirely. 

There's going to be one very easy way to find out.  If John Idzik believes that he has constructed a roster that is capable of winning plenty of football games, there will be little to no need to import new talent.  Hire Bevel, give him Geno, Decker, Salas, Kerly, Amaro, and Hakim, then let him work his magic.  Bring in some O-linemen and add a little bit of depth through the draft, and start planning the parade.  Something tells me however, it'll be: New coach, many new players to replace this garbage roster, claim it was Rex's fault that he didn't win.

We'll know in a few months.

There's going to be one very easy way to find out.  If John Idzik believes that he has constructed a roster that is capable of winning plenty of football games, there will be little to no need to import new talent.  Hire Bevel, give him Geno, Decker, Salas, Kerly, Amaro, and Hakim, then let him work his magic.  Bring in some O-linemen and add a little bit of depth through the draft, and start planning the parade.  Something tells me however, it'll be: New coach, many new players to replace this garbage roster, claim it was Rex's fault that he didn't win.

We'll know in a few months.

There will be a new coach and that coach will work with Idzik to fill out the roster, and if those players fail, and that coach fails, we'll know that Idzik was a bad hire. We knew Rex failed and was a bad hire two years ago.

There will be a new coach and that coach will work with Idzik to fill out the roster, and if those players fail, and that coach fails, we'll know that Idzik was a bad hire. We knew Rex failed and was a bad hire two years ago.

Obviously JMO, but I've yet to see a Jets team that failed to play to its full potential under Rex.  Maybe you're 100% right and Rex is the reason Mark Sanchez never won a super bowl.  I don't know.  I just know that they made the playoffs when nobody expected them to make the playoffs.  They won playoff games that nobody said they could.  Then, for some reason, the started letting all the top talent walk away, drafted poorly, and expected Rex to keep making chicken salad of chicken sh*t.  Now that Rex's results fall in line with the talent he's been given, people want him gone.

When Geno blows up next season and we see Eric Decker, Jace Amaro,TJ Graham, Az Hakim's brother, and Greg Salas lead the way to a top five offense and a 13 win season, I will 100% admit that Rex Ryan has no business being an NFL HC.

Rank the following coaches: Rex, Herm, Lombardi

Herm is first obviously. 

Serious question TS do you believe a better coach wins more games with this roster and this schedule? 

Or do you believe that a different coach picks different players and is given a more favorable schedule? 

I just don't think coaches make that big of a difference. They are important sure but can't turn a 90 mil roster in a 130 mil roster, through strength of character. 

Herm is first obviously. 

Serious question TS do you believe a better coach wins more games with this roster and this schedule? 

Or do you believe that a different coach picks different players and is given a more favorable schedule? 

I just don't think coaches make that big of a difference. They are important sure but can't turn a 90 mil roster in a 130 mil roster, through strength of character. 

As the old saying goes, "It's more about Jimmy's and Joe's than X's and O's".  Players matter more than a coach does.

Rex fans

Rexophiles

Rex supports

lol - I'm a Jets fan who wants to see his Head Coach succeed.  Shame on me.  At least there are the better fans around here who are soooo much more knowledgeable to keep us Rexophiles (my favorite one) in check.

JiF, you don't have to play games here bro. Look, we ALL want the same one thing, and it hasn't changed since the minute that Joe Willie Namath ran off the Orange Bowl turf waving the "we're number 1" finger-and that is to repeat (then) and now it's to someday get to see the Jets do what too few of us DID get to see on January 12th 1969. We ALL want to see the Jets win, there is no camps set up that say Rex fans here, Geno fans there, Idzik crew down the hall and Woody Johnson people follow me. We are all Jets fans first and foremost, some of us just have different thoughts on what it takes to win. Right now the way the rules are unwritten, if you go 2-3 and about to be 4 seasons with no playoffs, you get fired. 

NYJ 2009 9 7 0 .563 2nd in AFC East 2 1 .667 Lost to the Indianapolis Colts in AFC Championship Game

NYJ 2010 11 5 0 .688 2nd in AFC East 2 1 .667 Lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in AFC Championship Game

NYJ 2011 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC East – – – –

NYJ 2012 6 10 0 .375 3rd in AFC East – – – –

NYJ 2013 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC East – – – –

NYJ 2014 1 5 0 .167 AFC East – – –  

NYJ Total 43 43 0 .500   4 2 .667  

------Total 43 43 0 .500   4 2 .667  

JiF, you don't have to play games here bro. Look, we ALL want the same one thing, and it hasn't changed since the minute that Joe Willie Namath ran off the Orange Bowl turf waving the "we're number 1" finger-and that is to repeat (then) and now it's to someday get to see the Jets do what too few of us DID get to see on January 12th 1969. We ALL want to see the Jets win, there is no camps set up that say Rex fans here, Geno fans there, Idzik crew down the hall and Woody Johnson people follow me. We are all Jets fans first and foremost, some of us just have different thoughts on what it takes to win. Right now the way the rules are unwritten, if you go 2-3 and about to be 4 seasons with no playoffs, you get fired. 

Team Year Regular season Post-season Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result NYJ 2009 9 7 0 .563 2nd in AFC East 2 1 .667 Lost to the Indianapolis Colts in AFC Championship Game NYJ 2010 11 5 0 .688 2nd in AFC East 2 1 .667 Lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in AFC Championship Game NYJ 2011 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC East – – – – NYJ 2012 6 10 0 .375 3rd in AFC East – – – – NYJ 2013 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC East – – – – NYJ 2014 1 5 0 .167 AFC East – – – – NYJ Total 43 43 0 .500   4 2 .667   Total 43 43 0 .500   4 2 .667  

Great post SoFla, but should the 2-3 year rule apply when you can't find a single fan, expert, or analyst who says this team has enough talent to do more than it has?

What should the realistic expectations be for this team?  I expected more because Geno didn't look lost in the pre-season.  I didn't think he was going to continue throwing in to double and triple coverage.  Nobody tells a QB to do that, so he's doing that on his own.  He's not going through his progressions.  No matter what you think about MM, I seriously doubt he's telling Geno to lock on to one receiver.  I thought average CB play and improved QB play would mean some wins.  As of now, four of the Jets losses are by one score, and that's with Geno being the lowest rated QB in the NFL by PFF and NFL QBR.  I can't blame Rex or MM for Geno's inability to do the basics.  To be completely fair, his O-line has been pretty bad, but even when they've been good..he' hasn't done enough.  Even with improved QB play I expected a 2-5 or 1-6 start due to the CB situation, and then to reel off some wins against the non-HOF QB's on the schedule.  Not so sure that'll happen now with Geno and O-line playing the way they are.  Bad talent = bad season.

To be completely fair, his O-line has been pretty bad,  

the OL takes alot of criticism but they aren't nearly as bad as some other teams'. The Chargers lost 2 starters in their game against the Jets. After already losing Hardwick for the year. They still won 31-0. If you get 3 seconds to throw in this league, that's plenty. There are some cases where Geno didn't get that but the problem is taking care of the ball and that's on Geno. 

and this years abomination of a record is clearly not all on Rex.. The fact that we've been in every game sans San Diego is a testament to his ability to inspire. The Jets are simply outmanned offensively, defensively, and can't seem to find someone who can adequately field a punt.

This. I mean the haters admit that we deserve to be underdogs in all of our remaining games. How is that not on the GM rather than the coach?

the OL takes alot of criticism but they aren't nearly as bad as some other teams'. The Chargers lost 2 starters in their game against the Jets. After already losing Hardwick for the year. They still won 31-0. If you get 3 seconds to throw in this league, that's plenty. There are some cases where Geno didn't get that but the problem is taking care of the ball and that's on Geno. 

I don't disagree, but just being fair.  They haven't been great and that's what they need to be if Geno is going to succeed.  FWIW, Jets are 20th in pass blocking per PFF.

Obviously JMO, but I've yet to see a Jets team that failed to play to its full potential under Rex.  Maybe you're 100% right and Rex is the reason Mark Sanchez never won a super bowl.  I don't know.  I just know that they made the playoffs when nobody expected them to make the playoffs.  They won playoff games that nobody said they could.  Then, for some reason, the started letting all the top talent walk away, drafted poorly, and expected Rex to keep making chicken salad of chicken sh*t.  Now that Rex's results fall in line with the talent he's been given, people want him gone.

When Geno blows up next season and we see Eric Decker, Jace Amaro,TJ Graham, Az Hakim's brother, and Greg Salas lead the way to a top five offense and a 13 win season, I will 100% admit that Rex Ryan has no business being an NFL HC.

"Their full potential" is just a thing we make up to quantify what we want to believe of the roster as it relates to our feelings of Rex. We don't really know what the "full potential" of the roster is at an given point. Plenty of teams are competitive with no-name players at key positions. 

Great post SoFla, but should the 2-3 year rule apply when you can't find a single fan, expert, or analyst who says this team has enough talent to do more than it has?

The problem is the presumption that Rex plays no role in talent acquisition of overall team direction.

To put it simply, that's horsesh*t.

GM's do not acquire players without considering the desires, direction and organization that will utilize that talent. 

Rex does not sit idly by while Tanny or Idzik goes out and signs players Rex doesn't want and can't use. 

I guarantee you, knowing the way an NFL Front Office works, and the power Rex has wielded here, that Rex has been involved, and approved, EVERY talent acquisition this team has made in his tenure.  Every one.

Now, you can choose to live in a fantasy world, where Rex is a quiet guy who just plays the guys he's given, and hence bears no responsibility of any kind for any thing.

But the truth of the matter is that Rex helped build, and is the PRIMARY factor in creating, the "talent" or lack thereof we have currently.  His guys, his approval, his schemes, his "I can coach that guy up" beliefs.

So if we lack talent, it's on Tanny, it's on Idzik, and during both tenures, it's on Rex especially.

Herm is first obviously. 

I believe a better coach would have done a better job of keeping the team disciplined, focused, and on course than Rex has done over these six years. Rex has a lot of nice qualities, but none of them are conducive to leading a group of men to success over an extended period of time. 

The problem is the presumption that Rex plays no role in talent acquisition of overall team direction.

To put it simply, that's horsesh*t.

GM's do not acquire players without considering the desires, direction and organization that will utilize that talent. 

Rex does not sit idly by while Tanny or Idzik goes out and signs players Rex doesn't want and can't use. 

I guarantee you, knowing the way an NFL Front Office works, and the power Rex has wielded here, that Rex has been involved, and approved, EVERY talent acquisition this team has made in his tenure.  Every one.

Now, you can choose to live in a fantasy world, where Rex is a quiet guy who just plays the guys he's given, and hence bears no responsibility of any kind for any thing.

But the truth of the matter is that Rex helped build, and is the PRIMARY factor in creating, the "talent" or lack thereof we have currently.  His guys, his approval, his schemes, his "I can coach that guy up" beliefs.

So if we lack talent, it's on Tanny, it's on Idzik, and during both tenures, it's on Rex especially.

It's Rex's job to coach the team.  He, like every other coach in the NFL plays a role in player acquisition.  The thing is, I don't know, and  you don't know to what extent that goes. If Rex had as much authority as his detractors pretend to know he does, they would not have come close to having the off-season they just had.  No way in the world Rex insisted on signing Dmitri Patterson to fix the secondary.  If I hated Rex, I would 100% agree with you and blame him for the draft picks and FA signings, but I'm trying to remain objective without pretending to have inside knowledge of the back room discussions that go on.

Archived