If The Jets Start 1-9....

Warfish

Seems Jets Fan Land is having a run on Tin Foil.

I'm sure Idzik is real happy he was forced to hold on to Rex by the Owner (who loves Rex almost as much as you seem to), and that Rex thus far can't seem to win anything.

That doesn't make Idzik look bad, right?

Idzik will be lucky not to lose his job at years end too if we go truly south.

The difference between you and I my friend, is I'm talking facts, records and measurables......you're talking straw men,  fantasies and conspiracy theories.

But I can play that too......By your argument, Rex will surely be hired as a Head Coach after he is fired, and win the Super Bowl his first year he's so great at getting "the most from his talent".  If he can win 8 games with a 3 win team 9as you just claimed), surely he'll win 14 games with an average 8 win roster, right?

So you believe John Idzik felt that by adding Eric Decker, a washed up Chris Johnson, Mike Vick to back up Geno to an 8-8 team was his attempt to legitimately improve this team?  If so, he should have been fired before the Raiders game started.

Idzik didn't make enough upgrades to the roster to contend...such a wild claim.

SB in his first year?  I can't say that because I don't know what he's going to have to work with.  I do know however, that our new coach is going to be blessed with Geno Smith, so no reason he shouldn't win 12-14 games.  I doubt next season schedule is as tough as this years, and people want Rex fired for a losing record.  Better coach, weaker schedule, Geno gets to play to his full potential w/o Rex holding him back...sky's the limit.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, you're saying that the corners are playing well?

I'm saying that the converted LB/S who is playing CB and the undrafted FA CB on the other side are playing far better than anyone expected them to.  But of course that's an outlandish claim based on made up expectations.  Everyone except me knew those guys were going to be solid which is why nobody ever mentioned the CB situation during the off-season.  Every single week, leading up to every single game after Oakland it was "oh god, wait and see what Rodgers/Cutler/Stafford/Rivers do to this  Jets team, they're gonna' get blown out" yet somehow they were blown out only once and kept several of those QB's performances at or below their  norm.  A wasted effort with Geno turning it over left and right.

So you believe John Idzik felt that by adding Eric Decker, a washed up Chris Johnson, Mike Vick to back up Geno to an 8-8 team was his attempt to legitimately improve this team?  If so, he should have been fired before the Raiders game started.

Idzik didn't make enough upgrades to the roster to contend...such a wild claim.

Best WR available in FA.  Best QB available in FA.  Best RB available in FA.

One of (if not the) best TE available in the Draft.

Drafted a need CB and a need Safety.

Drafted like a dozen mid-round WR's.

All with Rex's input.

After 1/4 of the first season after these acquisitions, they most certainly look bad.  Decker, hurt.  McDougle, hurt. Milliner, hurt.  Johnson, ineffective.  Vick, ineffective.  The WR's, mostly gone.

Idzik warrants criticism, and should be GM'ing for him own job in Year #3.

By all means, link us your offseason plan that would have us at 5-1 right now, I'd love to read it.  Last I checked, most of Jets Fan nation was behind Idzik's FA and Draft picks, generally speaking, as addressing our "needs".

Even the Geno pick, a clear bust now, was lauded at the time by almost everyone as a "value pick", getting a QB in the 2nd who was first round grade, a flier worth taking given Sanchez.  Few realized just how stupid Geno was, and how bad a player he'd be in the Pros, but regardless, it's a CLEAR miss by Idzik and Rex and MM.

End of the day, we're going in circles.  You (IMO) would retain Rex and fire Idzik.  I would fire Rex, and put Idzik on notice....one year to hire his guy, and get this ship righted or else.

You primarily blame talent for the last four years.  I blame Rex for our inability to get better and for instead getting worse every year he's been here. 

Best WR available in FA.  Best QB available in FA.  Best RB available in FA.

One of (if not the) best TE available in the Draft.

Drafted a need CB and a need Safety.

Drafted like a dozen mid-round WR's.

All with Rex's input.

After 1/4 of the first season after these acquisitions, they most certainly look bad.  Decker, hurt.  McDougle, hurt. Milliner, hurt.  Johnson, ineffective.  Vick, ineffective.  The WR's, mostly gone.

Idzik warrants criticism, and should be GM'ing for him own job in Year #3.

By all means, link us your offseason plan that would have us at 5-1 right now, I'd love to read it.  Last I checked, most of Jets Fan nation was behind Idzik's FA and Draft picks, generally speaking, as addressing our "needs".

Even the Geno pick, a clear bust now, was lauded at the time by almost everyone as a "value pick", getting a QB in the 2nd who was first round grade, a flier worth taking given Sanchez.  Few realized just how stupid Geno was, and how bad a player he'd be in the Pros, but regardless, it's a CLEAR miss by Idzik and Rex and MM.

End of the day, we're going in circles.  You (IMO) would retain Rex and fire Idzik.  I would fire Rex, and put Idzik on notice....one year to hire his guy, and get this ship righted or else.

You primarily blame talent for the last four years.  I blame Rex for our inability to get better and for instead getting worse every year he's been here. 

Decker...correct

Vick...meaningless if he's going to continue to force Rex to trot Geno out there despite being the worst QB in the NFL.

Johnson...It's Idzik's job for him and his staff to watch film and realize Johnson was done.  He is done, and Idzik signed him.

I'm not going to pretend to know exactly what would have happened if he'd signed player "x" but I can say this.  A legit QB competition would have likely been won by Vick because Geno is the worst QB in the NFL.  Adding Brandon Flowers and Golden Tate could have been done for around $10 mil. 

Start Vick = better QB play

Tate= Established WR for QB to throw to

Flowers= Currently #1 rated CB in the NFL would have been significant upgrade.

Having lost three games by 8 or less doesn't make it all that wild a claim to say they may have won some of those games with those pretty simple moves.

Was I on board with most of Idzik's moves?  I absolutely was.  Why?  Because I recognize that I'm a fan and I expect these guys to know infinitely more than I do about player evaluation.  I was scratching my head and confused by a lot of the moves, but I supported them.  It scares me now to see that our paid professional GM didn't see what I saw.

Decker...correct

Vick...meaningless if he's going to continue to force Rex to trot Geno out there despite being the worst QB in the NFL.

Johnson...It's Idzik's job for him and his staff to watch film and realize Johnson was done. He is done, and Idzik signed him.

I'm not going to pretend to know exactly what would have happened if he'd signed player "x" but I can say this. A legit QB competition would have likely been won by Vick because Geno is the worst QB in the NFL. Adding Brandon Flowers and Golden Tate could have been done for around $10 mil.

Start Vick = better QB play

Tate= Established WR for QB to throw to

Flowers= Currently #1 rated CB in the NFL would have been significant upgrade.

Having lost three games by 8 or less doesn't make it all that wild a claim to say they may have won some of those games with those pretty simple moves.

Was I on board with most of Idzik's moves? I absolutely was. Why? Because I recognize that I'm a fan and I expect these guys to know infinitely more than I do about player evaluation. I was scratching my head and confused by a lot of the moves, but I supported them. It scares me now to see that our paid professional GM didn't see what I saw.

I thought we didn't know who signed who? How do we know that Rex didn't want Chris Johnson?

I thought we didn't know who signed who? How do we know that Rex didn't want Chris Johnson?

Well duh....Johnson plays offense...Rex STILL doesn't know he's on the team, right?

We know exactly who signs players..it's the GM.  What we don't know, is who lobbies for them and how hard.  If Rex had the power to sign players, he would have addressed the CB position.

Well duh....Johnson plays offense...Rex STILL doesn't know he's on the team, right?

We know exactly who signs players..it's the GM.  What we don't know, is who lobbies for them and how hard.  If Rex had the power to sign players, he would have addressed the CB position.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/37846/the-ryan-pitch-to-johnson

If you need any more evidence of the draw coach Rex Ryan has over NFL free agents, look no further than Chris Johnson's initial conference call on Thursday afternoon. He was asked why he chose the New York Jets, and he noted the team had a chance to win it all. 

"They know how to win over there," Johnson said. "The type of team that they had last year, they got a great defense. Any time you have a great defense you give yourself a great chance at winning. Looking at the team, me going there to get more playmakers on offense, we know as an organization if we're able to put up points, then that will give us a good chance at winning. So I felt I would be able to fit that mold and come there and help [the] offense." 

Not only have Ryan's Jets not delivered in the past three years, costing numerous coaches and a general manager their jobs, but a running back actually mentioned the defense as a reason to come to New York. 

The Jets are 22-26 since 2011, but listen to the facts that Johnson has at the ready after spending a few days at the Jets' training facility in Florham Park. 

"They haven't been to the playoffs in three years," Johnson said, "but last year they were one game out from the playoffs and the year before those three years they were a playoff team that was close to the Super Bowl and all those types of things." 

It's the closest fans may get to hearing Ryan's actual sales pitch to a free agent. 

Later Thursday, 98.7 ESPN New York's Michael Kay asked Johnson about Ryan, and you could almost hear him smile through the radio. 

"I can see me and him being real, real cool," Johnson said. 

Can you imagine a player saying something like that after meeting, say, Patriots coach Bill Belichick? Ryan seems to have an effortless way of relating to players, and it may be part of the reason Johnson was drawn to New York over another team. 

If Johnson has another 2,000-yard season, Ryan and his skills of persuasion will look pretty valuable. But that's one of the big ifs for the Jets as the team prepares to begin its offseason training program on Monday.

If you need any more evidence of the draw coach Rex Ryan has over NFL free agents, look no further than Chris Johnson's initial conference call on Thursday afternoon. He was asked why he chose the New York Jets, and he noted the team had a chance to win it all.

"They know how to win over there," Johnson said. "The type of team that they had last year, they got a great defense. Any time you have a great defense you give yourself a great chance at winning. Looking at the team, me going there to get more playmakers on offense, we know as an organization if we're able to put up points, then that will give us a good chance at winning. So I felt I would be able to fit that mold and come there and help [the] offense."

Not only have Ryan's Jets not delivered in the past three years, costing numerous coaches and a general manager their jobs, but a running back actually mentioned the defense as a reason to come to New York.

The Jets are 22-26 since 2011, but listen to the facts that Johnson has at the ready after spending a few days at the Jets' training facility in Florham Park.

"They haven't been to the playoffs in three years," Johnson said, "but last year they were one game out from the playoffs and the year before those three years they were a playoff team that was close to the Super Bowl and all those types of things."

It's the closest fans may get to hearing Ryan's actual sales pitch to a free agent.

Later Thursday, 98.7 ESPN New York's Michael Kay asked Johnson about Ryan, and you could almost hear him smile through the radio.

Can you imagine a player saying something like that after meeting, say, Patriots coach Bill Belichick? Ryan seems to have an effortless way of relating to players, and it may be part of the reason Johnson was drawn to New York over another team.

If Johnson has another 2,000-yard season, Ryan and his skills of persuasion will look pretty valuable. But that's one of the big ifs for the Jets as the team prepares to begin its offseason training program on Monday.

#RexEffect

If you need any more evidence of the draw coach Rex Ryan has over NFL free agents, look no further than Chris Johnson's initial conference call on Thursday afternoon. He was asked why he chose the New York Jets, and he noted the team had a chance to win it all. 

Not only have Ryan's Jets not delivered in the past three years, costing numerous coaches and a general manager their jobs, but a running back actually mentioned the defense as a reason to come to New York. 

I'm not sure which part of this article is supposed to matter?  Is it the part where Johnson says he'll get along with Rex?  Keyshawn said the same thing about him and Parcells.  Other than that, a player who just signed with a team saying nice things about them.  Not super important IMO but to each his own.

Oh wait, just re-read it...is it the part where Rex took part in recruiting a free agent for Idzik to sign?  Yeah, no way any other FO has their HC bring new players on board.  If Rex wanted him (which we know he didn't because he plays offense) then it's up to Idzik/scouts to say no.

I'm not sure which part of this article is supposed to matter?  Is it the part where Johnson says he'll get along with Rex?  Keyshawn said the same thing about him and Parcells.  Other than that, a player who just signed with a team saying nice things about them.  Not super important IMO but to each his own.

Ryan was clearly primary to Johnson coming on board. He wooed him.

I saw what you were getting at and added that to my edited response..probably while you were typing this.

I like the "clearly primary" part though...the only "clearly primary" recruiting tool is money.  The rest is conversations to let  a guy know he'll be used right, valued, etc... standard practice. 

Of course Rex wanted him, I'd go so far as to say Rex was primary in bringing him in.  Johnson is exactly the type of guy Rex would covet, for the typical Rex reasons (he's a veteran, he's a "name", ground and pound, "his guys", etc.)

And Rex's role in convincing him to come is pretty clear listening to Johnson.  if Rex didn't want him, Rex could and would have told Idzik "you do it, you're the GM".

Again, it's all over posts like AFJF's......to have any faith in Rex, you literally must hate every other person related to our franchise, from owner to ballboy, and blame them (not Rex) for where we are today.

It's down to fire Rex.....or fire the Owner, GM, Front Office, all the players (except for Rex's Guys), and start over fresh for Rex, to be fair to him and all......

JiF, you don't have to play games here bro. Look, we ALL want the same one thing, and it hasn't changed since the minute that Joe Willie Namath ran off the Orange Bowl turf waving the "we're number 1" finger-and that is to repeat (then) and now it's to someday get to see the Jets do what too few of us DID get to see on January 12th 1969. We ALL want to see the Jets win, there is no camps set up that say Rex fans here, Geno fans there, Idzik crew down the hall and Woody Johnson people follow me. We are all Jets fans first and foremost, some of us just have different thoughts on what it takes to win. Right now the way the rules are unwritten, if you go 2-3 and about to be 4 seasons with no playoffs, you get fired. 

NYJ 2009 9 7 0 .563 2nd in AFC East 2 1 .667 Lost to the Indianapolis Colts in AFC Championship Game

NYJ 2010 11 5 0 .688 2nd in AFC East 2 1 .667 Lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in AFC Championship Game

NYJ 2011 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC East – – – –

NYJ 2012 6 10 0 .375 3rd in AFC East – – – –

NYJ 2013 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC East – – – –

NYJ 2014 1 5 0 .167 AFC East – – –  

NYJ Total 43 43 0 .500   4 2 .667  

------Total 43 43 0 .500   4 2 .667  

What games am I playing?  I've said he should be fired.  

What will it take to get the people who hate Rex Ryan to accept the fact that they're not going to get a 100% conversion rate to their point of view?

Rex is going to be fired. Enjoy.

This. Rex is an inconsequential figure at this point. He can't be fired midseason because the only person qualified to interim was one of if not the worst head coach in NFL history. The only thing at stake at this point is winning the Internet, and it's clear that the Hermningtonmanginisanchex Cult is never going to budge so long as they breathe oxygen.

Of course Rex wanted him, I'd go so far as to say Rex was primary in bringing him in.  Johnson is exactly the type of guy Rex would covet, for the typical Rex reasons (he's a veteran, he's a "name", ground and pound, "his guys", etc.)

And Rex's role in convincing him to come is pretty clear listening to Johnson.  if Rex didn't want him, Rex could and would have told Idzik "you do it, you're the GM".

Again, it's all over posts like AFJF's......to have any faith in Rex, you literally must hate every other person related to our franchise, from owner to ballboy, and blame them (not Rex) for where we are today.

It's down to fire Rex.....or fire the Owner, GM, Front Office, all the players (except for Rex's Guys), and start over fresh for Rex, to be fair to him and all......

See, this is the problem you run in to when you sterotype or just make assumptions about people without even having a discussion, but I get that it happens all the time.  People have to "know it all" so they just assume certain things about a person without asking.  The only person I don't like is Idzik and that's only because while this team is not all world, they were only a couple of players away from being able to contend and he chose to sit on his hands and give Rex nothing to work with.  I don't hate Woody Johnson either.  He does everything I expect an owner to do..sign the checks and let the football people make football decisions.  I don't even love Rex as much as you're claiming I do.  I think he could do a lot of  things better, but I'm sure as not going to get mad at him because he couldn't find a way to get Antonio Allen to shut down Alshon Jeffries or beat Peyton Manning with Geno Smith. 

But like I said, Rex will be gone and the new guy gets to dethrone BB and Brady with Geno.  I Can't say I'm  not excited about that.

This. Rex is an inconsequential figure at this point. He can't be fired midseason because the only person qualified to interim was one of if not the worst head coach in NFL history. The only thing at stake at this point is winning the Internet, and it's clear that the Hermningtonmanginisanchex Cult is never going to budge so long as they breathe oxygen.

I'll go one further, he shouldn't be fired mid-season, mid-season firings are pointless and paint the organization as completely inept.

End of the year, day after the season is over, will do just fine.

Can you elaborate on the "Hermningtonmanginisanchex Cult". This is a new term for me, and I'd like to know more. Penningtologists I know of, but not Hermningtonmanginisanchex Cultists.

Incidentally I don't think it's any coincidence that about 90% of the professional scribes all parrot the opinion of the more logical here.  Ryan was given the Washington Generals and expected to compete with the Globetrotters.  It's pretty insulting when you think about it.

For the last three years, people in velcro shoes have polluted this board with every logical fallacy known to man, plus a couple of new ones they invented along the way. This isn't about making anyone budge. It's about making sure they're looking to the sky, mouths wide open, as the sh*tstorm rains down on us all.

Incidentally I don't think it's any coincidence that about 90% of the professional scribes all parrot the opinion of the more logical here.  Ryan was given the Washington Generals and expected to compete with the Globetrotters.  It's pretty insulting when you think about it.

Spot on...anyone who looks at this roster and schedule objectively could not possibly expect anything other than what has happened, other than to have expected it to be A LOT uglier.

Spot on...anyone who looks at this roster and schedule objectively could not possibly expect anything other than what has happened, other than to have expected it to be A LOT uglier.

If only we had Dan Quinn as our HC.  He'd teach our WR's how to separate and we'd be 4-2.

If only we had Dan Quinn as our HC.  He'd teach our WR's how to separate and we'd be 4-2.

No need to worry though....we'll have a new HC next season who will unleash Geno, Salas, Hakim, Graham, and Powell on the NFL.  Other teams aren't going to know what hit them.

No need to worry though....we'll have a new HC next season who will unleash Geno, Salas, Hakim, Graham, and Powell on the NFL.  Other teams aren't going to know what hit them.

Well, we better hope Rex doesn't go north and replace Bellichek, imagine how amazing the Pats would be with their talent and a coach who "gets the most out of his talent"! He might go 16-0 up there, right.

It's fun being silly, isn't it AFJF.

Sweet!!  I can't wait to see Sasquatch become the new Mark Bavaro once he has some real coaches telling him what to do.

Can you imagine how wide open David Nelson will be once the new route trees are installed!!!

Well, we better hope Rex doesn't go north and replace Bellichek, imagine how amazing the Pats would be with their talent and a coach who "gets the most out of his talent"! He might go 16-0 up there, right.

It's fun being silly, isn't it AFJF.

Well he won't replace BB so that's just silly, but he would absolutely contend for a SB with BB's current roster.  Best case scenario for Rex is a team that does not have the worst QB in the NFL and an average to above average offense in place.  Keep the offensive staff around and let Rex revamp the defense.  The Colts won a SB that way with Dungy, and the Bucs won a SB that way with Gruden.  Most NFL coaches specialize in one side of the ball and have a strong supporting cast on the other side.  Hell, BB won SB's while he ran the defense and Charlie Weis babied Tom Brady and had him throw fifteen screen passes every week  until he turned in to what he is now.  Every now and then you get a fluke situation like Brian Billick had in Baltimore.  He was supposed to be an offensive genius but he needed Rex's defense to carry him to a SB while he failed to develop multiple first round QB's.  I get it, people are tired of not winning the SB so they want to blame the HC despite the fact that he's got a POS roster.  Easier to replace one guy than 40-45, right?

Sweet!!  I can't wait to see Sasquatch become the new Mark Bavaro once he has some real coaches telling him what to do.

Can you imagine how wide open David Nelson will be once the new route trees are installed!!!

You know what they need?  They need a hot shot college coordinator whose offense can't be stopped at the college level.  Steve Spurrier maybe?  Dude is revolutionary.

For the last three years, people in velcro shoes have polluted this board with every logical fallacy known to man, plus a couple of new ones they invented along the way. This isn't about making anyone budge. It's about making sure they're looking to the sky, mouths wide open, as the sh*tstorm rains down on us all.

Sounds like a great thread for the whole community to enjoy. 

Well he won't replace BB so that's just silly, but he would absolutely win a SB with BB's current roster.

Well then, I fully expect him to be hired within hours of being fired here, for a team with at least "average" talent, and to be a playoff coach again in 2015.

Guess we'll see, eh.

Easier to replace one guy than 40-45, right?

Absolutely.

Well then, I fully expect him to be hired within hours of being fired here, for a team with at least "average" talent, and to be a playoff coach again in 2015.

Guess we'll see, eh.

Absolutely.

Agreed on both counts.  Probably  not hours, but there will be a few teams interested in him right off the bat and  he'll have a new job within a week.  I'm guessing it'll be Atlanta.

Lol, stealing this one.

Anybody who wonders how much input the coach has, remember the Santonio Holmes story when Tannenbaum asked him how HE felt about whether or not they should get him or not and what Rex's answer to him was. That pretty much ends THAT discussion.

Anybody who wonders how much input the coach has, remember the Santonio Holmes story when Tannenbaum asked him how HE felt about whether or not they should get him or not and what Rex's answer to him was. That pretty much ends THAT discussion.

there was some input under Tanny and guess what Santonio won alot of games here. The teams were better when Rex was given some input. They used to spend money. The fans would cry about how mediocrity was awful. Now they are all Idzik picks and the team eats goat balls. 1 and whatever that's what you guys wanted right? Tear it down to build it back up again that's the plan right? 

Only problem is there's no reason to be optimistic cause the draft was a complete disaster.

Archived