The GM we need: Scot McCloughan

Integrity28

I was reading this troll bait on PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/04/trent-baalke-some-things-are-broken-with-49ers/

Then reading the comments, where one guy says, the 49ers good teams were "built on the drafts of McCloughan". So naturally, I investigated this guy further... since I don't really keep tabs on the front office stats of every regime in the league, I admittedly hadn't heard the name before.

Here is an article that I came across about this guy:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24537741/seahawks-lose-key-executive-scot-mccloughan-to-resignation

The Seahawks lost a key front office member to resignation on Wednesday. Scot McCloughan, the team's senior personnel executive, unexpectedly resigned to tend to a family matter, league sources told CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora.

McCloughan had been with the Seahawks since being hired in June 2010. At the time, Seahawks general manager John Schneider said the team was hiring McCloughan because he was a 'proven talent evaluator.'

Schneider's not kidding either. During five seasons in San Francisco (2005-09), including two as the 49ers general manager, McCloughan was responsible for draft classes that included Frank GoreVernon DavisPatrick Willis and Michael Crabtree.

In Seattle, McCloughan was Schneider's top aide who helped the Seahawks general manager find key draft talent like quarterback Russell Wilson and cornerback Richard Sherman. McCloughan and Schneider interviewed Wilson at the Senior Bowl for over two hours in 2012.

McCloughan left San Francisco after the 2009 season for the same reason he's leaving Seattle now, to tend to a private matter.

La Canfora reports that McCloughan's plan right now is to 'organize his own independent scouting service, while working from home as he tends to his family matter.'

How confident is McCloughan in his abilities to spot talent? After his exit from the 49ers in March 2010, he told the San Jose Mercury News, "Players I brought in will win the division for the next couple of years."

McCloughan turned down a chance to interview for the Dolphins vacant general manager job in January.

We hired the wrong guy from Seattle, that's for damn sure.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/04/trent-baalke-some-things-are-broken-with-49ers/

Then reading the comments, where one guy says, the 49ers good teams were "built on the drafts of McCloughan". So naturally, I investigated this guy further... since I don't really keep tabs on the front office stats of every regime in the league, I admittedly hadn't heard the name before.

Good find!

Most casual Seahawks fans probably don't know who Scot McCloughan is, but he was an extremely important person in the organization who will be missed.

McCloughan, who was the team's senior personnel executive, had a big role in finding many of the players who helped lead the Seahawks to a Super Bowl victory.

He is leaving the team for what is listed as a personal issue. It's a much bigger loss than most people realize.

McCloughan was general manager John Schneider's right-hand man. McCloughan led Seattle's scouting group and was instrumental in helping Schneider and coach Pete Carroll build a foundation of talent that is second to none in the NFL.

McCloughan had a similar role with the San Francisco 49ers, staring in 2006, before being named GM in 2008. He helped draft top players that include running back Frank Gore, linebacker Patrick Willis and tight end Vernon Davis, to name a few.

But McCloughan left the 49ers after the 2009 season, also to attend to a personal matter. Schneider, who worked with McCloughan in Green Bay 14 years earlier, convinced him to join the Seahawks' new staff in 2010.

McCloughan worked behind the curtain to most Seahawks fans, but the team would not be where it is today without him.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=seattle-seahawks&id=5691

Here's another

Doc: These are the Bengals' good new days

Paul Daugherty

Aug 30, 2014

He likes players with some cut in their strut and a little glide in their stride. He likes players who don't slouch or slump into a room. He likes some swag, some shoulder roll, some physical cue that this man believes he is The Man. Duke Tobin calls it "charisma.'' He likes players with charisma.

Which is ironic, because Tobin, the Bengals director of player personnel, is quite possibly the last guy you'd notice at a party. He's the guy in the kitchen, holding up the wall, while everyone else is wearing lampshades. If Duke Tobin were scouting Duke Tobin, he'd wonder about his charisma.

He has been the Bengals personnel guru for 12 years. In researching this column, I found one story about him. One. Written in 2004, and it was more about his father Bill, the architect of the legendary '85 Chicago Bears, currently a Bengals consultant.

"The lack of stories is (due to) the lack of material,'' Duke Tobin noted.

File this under Things You Never Thought You'd Say: Quietly, the way he likes it, Tobin and his small staff – with a huge assist from the Bengals coaches – have put together one of the best rosters in the NFL. Not just this year, but the last several. They are deep enough to replace a Michael Johnson with a Margus Hunt, who has been a terror this summer.

They are talented enough that BenJarvus Green-Ellis, their featured back at the beginning of last year, is scrambling this year to make the team. Two years ago, the Bengals sent four players 24 or younger to the Pro Bowl. They find players everywhere, not just the draft: Dallas (Terence Newman), Nashville (Adam Jones), Estonia (Margus Hunt). They've "developed a culture,'' Tobin explained. Veteran free agents know, "If I go to Cincinnati, I'm going to get an opportunity.''

Marvin Lewis opens every training camp with a variation on this theme: "It doesn't matter what you did before you got here. It matters what you do now that you're here.''

They hit on obvious draft picks (A.J. Green), they hit on not so obvious (Geno Atkins, Round 4, in 2010). They find the lost (Vontaze Burfict), they mine the depths (Marvin Jones, George Iloka, Round 5, 2012).

The only thing the Bengals personnel staff doesn't get is national publicity. They're not the Patriots, whose genius was drafting Tom Brady in the sixth round, um, 14 years ago. They're not the Ravens, who have Ozzie Newsome calling the shots, to rave reviews. They're not the Steelers, who are praised for their continuity and consistency. Even though Tobin has been doing his job for a dozen years.

"A lot of the national credit comes from scratching the backs of the national reporters. That's not something we've done,'' Tobin said.

Tobin and his staff of three scouts and two consultants have banished the phrase "mom and pop'' from the Bengals lexicon. Remember when our first gripe – and second and third – was about the team's lack of a personnel department? That it had no general manager, beyond the self-appointed Mike Brown?

When its best wideout was Jeff Query, and the running game was entrusted to Derrick Fenner?

Perceptions linger. That's why some still think the Bengals are thugs. Reality is much more clear.

I don't know why Duke Tobin and Co. are making smart personnel decisions. As he said, "Every team is looking for the same thing.'' I couldn't tell you how Tobin's staff can look at a Geno Atkins and see a potential Pro Bowler, when no one else did.

It's the charisma factor. "The great players have something about them, when they walk into the room and you look them in the eye, there is something there,'' Tobin said. "You can sense they want it, there is sort of a spirit to them.

"Gio (Bernard) has that. He has come in with a lot of bravado.''

It's the character aspect. Bill Tobin said 10 years ago, "You've got to have stability as well as ability. You correct your problems in the draft room by not drafting them."

It wasn't always that way here, of course. In the mid-2000s Bengals were a boat looking for an iceberg. That was a decade ago. Now, it's the Ravens players making bad offseason choices (five arrests, including Ray Rice) and two Steelers running backs being cited for marijuana possession, six hours before they were to play in a preseason game.

There are other reasons. A smaller staff is actually more nimble and quicker to reach consensus. An experienced scouting staff, and continuity in the coaching staff, has allowed for easier agreement on what sort of players the Bengals want. In the draft, they want big school players. Among veteran free agents, it's shoulder-chip players hungry to prove former employers wrong.

When it comes to picking players, the organization has a vision and a plan. Having been here since '88, and endured the Lost Decade and the Odell Thurman Era, I can't believe I just typed that.

Praise to Duke Tobin. He's the guy in the kitchen, saying nothing and making all the charismatic moves.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-daugherty/2014/08/30/paul-daugherty-cincinnati-bengals-duke-tobin/14875923/

Here is an article that I came across about this guy:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24537741/seahawks-lose-key-executive-scot-mccloughan-to-resignation

You literally, cant think for yourself at all and have to steal everything from me:  

Sounds like he's opening up a scouting consulting type firm because he couldnt handle the NFL grind anymore.  We should hire his firm 4sho.

You literally, cant think for yourself at all and have to steal everything from me:  

Sounds like he's opening up a scouting consulting type firm because he couldnt handle the NFL grind anymore.  We should hire his firm 4sho.

That's exactly what it sounds like he just can't handle the BS that goes along with being an NFL top executive.  If he couldn't handle San Fran, and Seattle, I'm sure he be thrilled to come to NY, after watching what is going on with Idzik.

I do agree the Jets should be his first client 

So, you want points for finding him first? Okay. Honestly, I didn't read that blurb when you posted it, there's a lot of stupid sh*t you write that I don't read, to be honest.

Good job.

Anyway, I agree.... rather than paying a search firm to find a GM, maybe pay a scouting firm to find ******* players? Yeah? 

That's exactly what it sounds like he just can't handle the BS that goes along with being an NFL top executive.  If he couldn't handle San Fran, and Seattle, I'm sure he be thrilled to come to NY, after watching what is going on with Idzik.

I do agree the Jets should be his first client 

How is it "exactly what it sounds like" when all they're saying is he has to attend to personal stuff? What if he's got a special needs child? Or a chronically ill family member? Or he's chronically ill himself? 

No need to extrapolate it into a baseless knock against the guy. Anyway, yeah, whatever he's got going on we need some.

So, you want points for finding him first? Okay. Honestly, I didn't read that blurb when you posted it, there's a lot of stupid sh*t you write that I don't read, to be honest.

Good job.

Anyway, I agree.... rather than paying a search firm to find a GM, maybe pay a scouting firm to find ******* players? Yeah? 

If we had a scoreboard, it would be like:

JiF - 12,784

Ape - 2

How many people are going to get credit for those SF and Seattle drafts?  We are going to credit this guy AND Gamble?  FWIW, Davis and Willis were super obvious choices and guys that perfectly fit the workout warrior profile.  Willis had plenty of production, but he didn't skyrocket until he ran a 4.35 at his pro-day. Vernon Davis is straight workout warrior and at one point was an acknowledged "bust." There was some talk about swapping Gholston for him when Singletary sent him to the showers and even that wasn't universally considered a good idea. 

How many people are going to get credit for those SF and Seattle drafts?  We are going to credit this guy AND Gamble?  FWIW, Davis and Willis were super obvious choices and guys that perfectly fit the workout warrior profile.  Willis had plenty of production, but he didn't skyrocket until he ran a 4.35 at his pro-day. Vernon Davis is straight workout warrior and at one point was an acknowledged "bust." There was some talk about swapping Gholston for him when Singletary sent him to the showers and even that wasn't universally considered a good idea. 

It just goes to show some of these "the GM is the only one to blame" folks what's what. Bradway. Rex. Tanny. Idzik. So much blame to spread around... so much.

I don't think there's any shortage of quality GM candidates if you're willing to give them the kind of control the position requires; however, if you're going to shackle them with people on the coaching staff and in the scouting department that they don't want, then many of those candidates will balk, and we'll be left scraping the bottom of the barrel for those desperate enough for the job that they'll take it regardless of any attached conditions (e.g. Idzik). 

We should do what any smart, well-run, successful organization does, which is hire a GM with a background in personnel (not another capologist), and allow him to bring his own people into the front office and scouting department, and hire his own head coach (who would in turn bring in his own people for his coaching staff) - everyone on the same page with the same philosophy, working towards the same goal; not this hodgepodge we have now with a HC in self-preservation mode, a GM building toward the future, and a director of scouting who was the GM 2 regimes ago.

I still maintain that Tom Gamble should've been the hire when we got Idzik, and see no reason why he'd be any worse of a hire today than he would've been a year and a half ago. Eric DeCosta would be great, if there was any way to pry him away from Baltimore. Eliot Wolf (Ron Wolf's son) in Green Bay is an intriguing candidate, albeit a bit young. The point is if we're willing to clean house and hand over full control, there's no reason we can't land a good candidate.

How is it "exactly what it sounds like" when all they're saying is he has to attend to personal stuff? What if he's got a special needs child? Or a chronically ill family member? Or he's chronically ill himself? 

No need to extrapolate it into a baseless knock against the guy. Anyway, yeah, whatever he's got going on we need some.

He's done it twice, a couple of years apart.  If he was chronically himself, or had an ill family member, you would think he would have know that the second time

He's done it twice, a couple of years apart.  If he was chronically himself, or had an ill family member, you would think he would have know that the second time

In all fairness, you can be diagnosed with something as awful as cancer, have it go into remission, you and your family can go back to living your life, and then, unfortunately, it can come back. 

I'm just saying it's unfair to jump to some conclusion that he can't hack it... I mean, it doesn't even make sense logically... "I can't hack it as a personnel evaluator working for an NFL team, so I'm going to start my own (presumably) multi-million dollar company where I will be working for multiple NFL teams."

Entrepreneurship doesn't exactly scream "can't hack it", so I'm sure there's a relevant reason he prioritizes himself or his family.  

In all fairness, you can be diagnosed with something as awful as cancer, have it go into remission, you and your family can go back to living your life, and then, unfortunately, it can come back. 

I'm just saying it's unfair to jump to some conclusion that he can't hack it... I mean, it doesn't even make sense logically... "I can't hack it as a personnel evaluator working for an NFL team, so I'm going to start my own (presumably) multi-million dollar company where I will be working for multiple NFL teams."

Entrepreneurship doesn't exactly scream "can't hack it", so I'm sure there's a relevant reason he prioritizes himself or his family.

Those who can't, start their own business.

That said, seems like this guy has issues at home that would probably preclude him from taking a job in New Jersey. In his defense, I wouldn't take a job in New Jersey, either.

I don't think there's any shortage of quality GM candidates if you're willing to give them the kind of control the position requires; however, if you're going to shackle them with people on the coaching staff and in the scouting department that they don't want, then many of those candidates will balk, and we'll be left scraping the bottom of the barrel for those desperate enough for the job that they'll take it regardless of any attached conditions (e.g. Idzik). 

We should do what any smart, well-run, successful organization does, which is hire a GM with a background in personnel (not another capologist), and allow him to bring his own people into the front office and scouting department, and hire his own head coach (who would in turn bring in his own people for his coaching staff) - everyone on the same page with the same philosophy, working towards the same goal; not this hodgepodge we have now with a HC in self-preservation mode, a GM building toward the future, and a director of scouting who was the GM 2 regimes ago.

I still maintain that Tom Gamble should've been the hire when we got Idzik, and see no reason why he'd be any worse of a hire today than he would've been a year and a half ago. Eric DeCosta would be great, if there was any way to pry him away from Baltimore. Eliot Wolf (Ron Wolf's son) in Green Bay is an intriguing candidate, albeit a bit young. The point is if we're willing to clean house and hand over full control, there's no reason we can't land a good candidate.

This.

Most of all I blame Woody...and I wish I had a few billion and could force him to sell.

Those who can't, start their own business.

That said, seems like this guy has issues at home that would probably preclude him from taking a job in New Jersey. In his defense, I wouldn't take a job in New Jersey, either.

This guy has proven he "can", obviously. 

Usually the saying is "those who can't do, teach", not "start their own business", that is more commonly associated with entrepreneurs and/or people that cannot work for others... I don't get the sense that that is the case either, tbh. Schneider pursued him after having known him in a previous gig, if he knew he couldn't work for others, then it wouldn't make sense to pursue him.

This guy has proven he "can", obviously. 

Usually the saying is "those who can't do, teach", not "start their own business", that is more commonly associated with entrepreneurs and/or people that cannot work for others... I don't get the sense that that is the case either, tbh. Schneider pursued him after having known him in a previous gig, if he knew he couldn't work for others, then it wouldn't make sense to pursue him.

Lol. I was agreeing with you.

Sarcasm.

Your head.

Guy seems talented, also seems like he has pressing issues at home, though. Starting his own business in his current location looks to be his solution.

Lol. I was agreeing with you.

Sarcasm.

Your head.

Guy seems talented, also seems like he has pressing issues at home, though. Starting his own business in his current location looks to be his solution.

lol, I was like "wtf is he talking about?"

Good job.

Most here were talking about him two weeks ago.

I think this is grounds for a lawsuit.

Archived