Taking Pass on Top Receivers was Idz-iotic

flgreen

I don't think we can judge idzik unless we know WHY he passed on those receivers early.  Is there a chance he *wanted* them but was talked out of it by Woody/Rex?  Maybe this roster includes bad players that Idzik did NOT want, and he's privately letting Woody/Rex examine their bad choices?  

Scream, holler, buy billboards, etc..but I think an intelligent conclusion on Idzik can't be made for another year.

Idzik is too blame for all of the mess here we are 1-8  8 game losing streak haven't won a game in 2 months sick and tired of the apologists he was hired to fix it and he failed miserably. 

They've had 2 2 game winning streaks since 2012....

Saunders was a total farce. I guess we don't really know what we have in Evans, but at least we did get one good pass-catcher out of Amaro (or so it seems).

It sucks coming out of last year's draft with potentially zero receivers. But between Decker and Harvin I don't think it's a big position of need as it was before.

yeah.....decker and harvin are legit. the problem with this team is and has always been quarterback

IdZiot fans (so gay tat I even have to write that - GMs have fans lol) want to blame Rex for the draft picks.  Saying it was his idea to draft this guy or that guy...yeah yeah yeah.  Even if that were remotely so, IdZiot is still be be blamed by either neglect or being weak.

I want them both gone asap to be clear.

yeah.....decker and harvin are legit. the problem with this team is and has always been quarterback

Blue chip sure thing QBs far and few between Brady was a fluke the problem is we don't even draft the decent ones Bollinger,Clemons,Ratliff,McElroy etc but then again we don't always draft the better players.

NY Jets GM taking pass on top receivers was Idz-iotic

Twelve of the 20 receivers taken in the first four rounds have made meaningful contributions to their teams. Some such as Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Jordan Matthews, Davante Adams and Allen Robinson were easily attainable by the receiver-needy Jets, who looked the other way.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Thursday, November 6, 2014, 11:33 PM A A A

John Idzik has cut five of the top seven receivers who were in camp, leaving the Jets with a makeshift and largely unproductive group.

The Jets’ many personnel gaffes at cornerback have overshadowed another mistake that helped cripple Rex Ryan’s team: John Idzik somehow botched one of the deepest wide receiver drafts in memory.

In a pass-happy league that has 12 quarterbacks on pace for at least 4,000-yard seasons, the embattled general manager passed up one quality receiver after another before settling on three pedestrian guys who have contributed zilch to the cause.

Twelve of the 20 receivers taken in the first four rounds have made meaningful contributions to their teams. Some such as Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Jordan Matthews, Davante Adams and Allen Robinson were easily attainable by the receiver-needy Jets, who looked the other way.

The Jets were well-positioned with 12 draft picks, but Idzik wasn’t savvy enough to package any of them to move up. He tried — and failed — to leap-frog the Jaguars for Marqise Lee in the second round. He inexplicably waited until the fourth round before selecting three nobodies who predictably have done nothing this season.

The Jets selected two wide receivers — Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans — in the fourth round before the Steelers grabbed Martavis Bryant. Saunders signed with Seahawks practice squad this week after being cut by the Jets and Cardinals. Evans was arguably the worst Jets receiver in the offseason before suffering a season-ending shoulder injury early in training camp. Idzik drafted Nebraska project Quincy Enunwa (practice-squad fodder) in the sixth round.

The trio has combined for a grand total of zero catches this season.

Six rookie receivers have as many or more touchdowns than Eric Decker.

Bryant, meanwhile, has five touchdowns in the past three games.

“He’s doing some good things,” said Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who is on fire entering Sunday’s game at MetLife Stadium. “He’s still making some rookie mistakes, but he’s getting a chance. He’s a gamer. He gets out on the field and he makes plays. We’ll just keep trying to continue to use him and utilize him and see how his growth keeps going.”

It’s unfathomable how a receiver-needy team with 12 draft choices didn’t land one mediocre player at the position. The 2014 wide receiver class was rich in talent. Although potential stars Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans and Odell Beckham Jr., were out of reach for the Jets, there were many others who could have made an immediate impact.

Six rookie receivers have as many or more touchdowns than Eric Decker. Five rookies have more yards than the Jets’ top wideout. Nine rookies have more yards than Percy Harvin. There are 10 rookies with more yards, and eight with more receptions, than Jeremy Kerley.

It’s no surprise that the Jets have the worst passing offense in the league.

Ryan claimed this summer to have his deepest receiving corps since taking over in 2009.

Please.

Idzik has cut five of the top seven receivers who were in camp, leaving the Jets with a makeshift and largely unproductive group.

“Sometimes you hit and sometimes you miss,” Ryan said Thursday on drafting receivers. “But the effort’s there. There’s no question. . . . You just got to keep firing. There’s no magic formula for it.”

The central issue is Idzik’s lack of scouting experience. If you don’t really know what you’re seeing, you’re at the mercy of the people around you.

The Jets selected two wide receivers — Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans — in the fourth round before the Steelers grabbed Martavis Bryant, who has five TDs in last three games.

The Jets have had a systemic failure in selecting players since Idzik took over. Sheldon Richardson is the lone impact player out of 19 draft picks.

The GM’s inability to properly evaluate talent certainly doesn’t help matters. He might be able to regurgitate information provided by scouts, but he can’t be relied upon to consistently identify and project players. The Jets’ infrastructure isn’t sound enough to overcome the GM’s glaring deficiency.

The opportunity was there to add an impact receiver in the draft.

They predictably blew it.

I agree with this.  I do not hate pryor at all, and I think he will be very good when they put him back in the box.  But I wanted a receiver.  I cannot accept that Pryor was the BPA with all those receivers still left.

Archived