Idzik's Free Agents

Dennis Byrd 90

We are all saying our things about Idzik but we haven't really looked at his free agent signings.  They are just as good as the draft picks.

2013:

Colon:  Still starting.  Will be gone after the year.  Not a great signing but not bad.  Too many penalities and inconsistent play.

Landry:  Defensive leader.  Good but not great.  If the d was better would be happier.  Will be gone next year.

Barnes:  Played well til injury.  Did nothing this year and now is cut.

Goodson:  Guy went AWOL after his arrest.  Played well in the game or two he played but was a bad signing.

Garrard:  Brought in to mentor Geno.  Knew he wasn't going to play.  

Garay:  Cut in camp.

Peterman:  Cut in camp.

Winslow:  Played well and is a head case.

2014:

Decker:  Injuries and bad qb have hurt him.  Will be better if we ever have a qb.

Peterson:  AWOL.  Awful.  

Giacomini:  Inconsistent.  The Bills destroyed him last week.  Not great but here for awhile.

Ford:  Cut early.

4 players still on team.  2 will be gone this year and two will be here next year.  Inconsistent all around with the remaining four.  I get he is trying risk reward type signings and you don't win through free agency.  That being said everyone else he signed is out of the NFL.  We need to sign players who can help us.  Just another look at why Idzik needs to go.

Do you think that getting max ability out of Ford or Patterson make this team any different than they are today?

They shouldn't have been signed to begin with. Idzik's eye for talent so far has been poor. I have no issue filling holes with cheap signings...but you need to find guys that will outperform their contracts. Signing a body for the hell of it serves no purpose.

They shouldn't have been signed to begin with. Idzik's eye for talent so far has been poor. I have no issue filling holes with cheap signings...but you need to find guys that will outperform their contracts. Signing a body for the hell of it serves no purpose.

Those type of signings, NO ONE is going to hit 100%.

That said, it needs to be done better

Oh.  I get it now.  Peterson is Patterson.  The OP left off Johnson who is no big deal, but will probably be on the team next season.  He is an NFL back, but probably getting more run than he deserves. 

Left off Vick too.

Remember when the "crowd" was exclaiming the Jets got the "best" FA QB, RB and WR?

Those were the days

Left off Vick too.

Remember when the "crowd" was exclaiming the Jets got the "best" FA QB, RB and WR?

Those were the days

They did.  They just all suck.  They were FAs for a reason.  Okay, okay, Decker does not suck, but he is not exactly Rice and I guess once Jackson got cut he was no longer #1 FA WR. 

Those type of signings, NO ONE is going to hit 100%.

That said, it needs to be done better

Sorry I did leave Vick and Chris Johnson off.  I agree free agency isn't 100% but it should be closer to 70 or 80% where guys are signed and contribute.  50% have contributed if you go by these numbers and of those 50% half won't be here next year.  I don't think Vick or Johnson will be back next year.  Either way with free agency you sign players who help the team and add depth.  Idzik hasn't gotten that out of any of his free agents.  

We are all saying our things about Idzik but we haven't really looked at his free agent signings.  They are just as good as the draft picks.

2013:

Colon:  Still starting.  Will be gone after the year.  Not a great signing but not bad.  Too many penalities and inconsistent play.

Landry:  Defensive leader.  Good but not great.  If the d was better would be happier.  Will be gone next year.

Goodson:  Guy went AWOL after his arrest.  Played well in the game or two he played but was a bad signing.

2014:

Decker:  Injuries and bad qb have hurt him.  Will be better if we ever have a qb.

Giacomini:  Inconsistent.  The Bills destroyed him last week.  Not great but here for awhile.

4 players still on team.  2 will be gone this year and two will be here next year.  Inconsistent all around with the remaining four.  I get he is trying risk reward type signings and you don't win through free agency.  That being said everyone else he signed is out of the NFL.  We need to sign players who can help us.  Just another look at why Idzik needs to go.

The only players here that were signed to start for more than the upcoming season were Decker and Giacomini.  Goodson was brought in to be a 3rd down back.  The rest were camp fodder or were brought in to be placeholders until his draft picks were ready to start. Unfortunately that never happened because the draft picks weren't good enough to push aside even stop-gaps. The lone exception was Peterman, who got beat out by Winters, who's been pretty bad on his own. 

Bring in stop-gap veteran whose presence/salary can still be justified in a backup role. When draftee is ready, stop-gap player drops down 1 notch on the depth chart.  It's a good system if you draft well.  IF you draft well. 

The only players here that were signed to start for more than the upcoming season were Decker and Giacomini.  Goodson was brought in to be a 3rd down back.  The rest were camp fodder or were brought in to be placeholders until his draft picks were ready to start. Unfortunately that never happened because the draft picks weren't good enough to push aside even stop-gaps. The lone exception was Peterman, who got beat out by Winters, who's been pretty bad on his own. 

Bring in stop-gap veteran whose presence/salary can still be justified in a backup role. When draftee is ready, stop-gap player drops down 1 notch on the depth chart.  It's a good system if you draft well.  IF you draft well. 

Colon too.  IIRC, Colon, Peterman, Winters and Vlad were the guards last season.  I think Aboushi was still playing T last preseason. Ducasse was a known no-go, so at least one of Colon and Peterman had to start.  They probably expected both.

These guys were mostly low-buck, so it is not a surprise they are gone and not all contributors.  The problem is when guys like Ford and Patterson don't make the cut and there is nothing there but UDFAs nstead.  If a draft pick pans out fine, but when we are running Walls, Nelson and Salas as starters?  That is beyond ugly.  I am pretty sure that the starting CBs were expected to be Milliner and Patterson with Wilson in the slot and the hope that McDougle pans out.  Bad plan.

Colon too.  IIRC, Colon, Peterman, Winters and Vlad were the guards last season.  I think Aboushi was still playing T last preseason. Ducasse was a known no-go, so at least on of Colon and Peterman had to start.  They probably expected both.

Yes. I'm only specifically mentioning Peterman because he couldn't even wrestle a roster spot away from Ducasse. Also because I think he was in a 3-way mix for the LG position last year. Colon was going to start the season at a minimum unless both Winters AND Aboushi looked lights-out last summer, and of course that didn't happen.

I didn't remember Aboushi playing T all preseason. Guess my memory is hazy on that one.

Yes. I'm only specifically mentioning Peterman because he couldn't even wrestle a roster spot away from Ducasse. Also because I think he was in a 3-way mix for the LG position last year. Colon was going to start the season at a minimum unless both Winters AND Aboushi looked lights-out last summer, and of course that didn't happen.

I didn't remember Aboushi playing T all preseason. Guess my memory is hazy on that one.

To be fair, I don't remember Aboushi doing anything in 2013.  I just remember him being discussed as a T.

*EDIT:  Actually I am pretty sure he was playing tackle when Sanchez got killed. 

This whole "competition" mantra went out the door fast huh?

Also, if you select stop gap veterans well.  Patterson was not a stop gap, he was a disaster.  The idea that the Jets would not be better off with Cro, Flowers or DRC is laughable. 

The Ivory move was fine, he's a good player(and probably being underutilized) but god almighty you don't supplement him with a known disgruntled over the hill running back. You draft a young back, maybe even two.

I am fine with the idea of drafting RBs, but it is obvious that they needed to go full shotgun at WR and get as much spread as possible.  They did that and still failed miserably.  Same at CB.  I agree that the move would have been to sign a CB and WR with the CJ money and draft a RB.  I am not sure what the plan was, other than that Idzik seems very enamored with timed speed. 

I am fine with the idea of drafting RBs, but it is obvious that they needed to go full shotgun at WR and get as much spread as possible.  They did that and still failed miserably.  Same at CB.  I agree that the move would have been to sign a CB and WR with the CJ money and draft a RB.  I am not sure what the plan was, other than that Idzik seems very enamored with timed speed. 

Hey, that approach worked for Al Davis... almost.

2013:

2014:

Idsuck has only made 1 good FA signing in two years and it was the most obvious move around which was Decker.  Colon was a decent stop-gap - we really should have tried to upgrade with Jon Asomoah last off-season.  Winslow was a decent move but it's hard to get excited about it he only played a handful of games for us in 1 year.

The negligence in free agency Idsuck perpetrated last off-season is really a fireable offense.  Look at the Patriots, they signed Revis and Browner in 1 off-season and went from having a mediocre secondary to now they're the second-best secondary in the NFL behind Seattle.  We could have easily gotten both Revis and Browner.  Even Cro and Browner would have made sense and been affordable.  Why weren't we involved in getting Desean Jackson?

Instead Idsuck wasted our time with D'Mitri Quitterson and Jacoby Ford. 

You can't really knock Idzik for his free agent signings last year. They had a ton of holes and no cap space, so he shopped in the bargain bin.

The two moves you can legitimately attack him for are Patterson and Goodson. Those were embarrassing failures.

Idsuck has only made 1 good FA signing in two years and it was the most obvious move around which was Decker.  Colon was a decent stop-gap - we really should have tried to upgrade with Jon Asomoah last off-season.  Winslow was a decent move but it's hard to get excited about it he only played a handful of games for us in 1 year.

The negligence in free agency Idsuck perpetrated last off-season is really a fireable offense.  Look at the Patriots, they signed Revis and Browner in 1 off-season and went from having a mediocre secondary to now they're the second-best secondary in the NFL behind Seattle.  We could have easily gotten both Revis and Browner.  Even Cro and Browner would have made sense and been affordable.  Why weren't we involved in getting Desean Jackson?

Instead Idsuck wasted our time with D'Mitri Quitterson and Jacoby Ford. 

keep it going may i suggest Janobody Ford?

Also, if you select stop gap veterans well.  Patterson was not a stop gap, he was a disaster.  The idea that the Jets would not be better off with Cro, Flowers or DRC is laughable. 

Well, Cro would be stop-gap. DRC would not. Then again, there was a lot of confusing use of cap $. Saved here and there in some areas (like CB) and then dumps $10M on Vick+CJ and then $6M on Harvin after we're effectively eliminated.

Some of the non-acquisitions, like Austin Howard, were probably correct moves despite all the preseason screaming to the contrary. Apparently he's been a borderline disaster this year for Oakland.

Archived