Where does 2014 rank among the worst seasons in New York football history ? ? ?

kelly

You knew it was bad. You probably guessed it was really, really bad. But this season for our two local NFL franchises is becoming something much more than that.

It's the worst.

Ever.

At least, it is right now, and unless the Jets and Giants put together a few wins over their last four games – anyone want to bet on that? – then 2014 will go down as the dumpster fire to end all dumpster fires, the epitome of putrid pigskin, the crème dela crème of crud.

And folks? We've had some ugly football seasons.

The Jets and Giants currently have a combined 5-19 record with eight games to play. The fewest wins for both teams in the same season is six, but both times that happened, in 1973 and 1976, it was during the days of the 14-game schedule.

You have to really comb the record books to find a season when the Jets and Giants had a combined winning percentage in the neighborhood of what it is now (and be sure to click through the gallery above for the top 10 worst seasons of all-time). Here are the bottom five

:

1. 2014: Jets (2-10) + Giants (3-9) = .208 winning percentage

2. 1976: Jets (3-11) + Giants (3-11) = .214 winning percentage

3. 1996: Jets (1-15) + Giants (6-10) = .218 winning percentage

4. 1973: Jets (4-10) + Giants (2-11-1) = .232 winning percentage

t-5. 1980 Jets (4-12) + Giants (4-12) = .250 winning percentage

t-5. 1995: Jets (3-13) + Giants (5-11) = .250 winning percentage

It's worth noting, in case Rex Ryan and Tom Coughlin weren't already concerned about their job security, that in the three seasons just below 2014 in that bottom five, the coaches for both teams were replaced after the season.

• In 1973, popular Jets coach Weeb Ewbank – who had won the Super Bowl four years earlier – retired after a 4-10 season, while Alex Webster was forced to resign as Giants coach after they bottomed out at 2-11-1.

• In 1976, Lou Holtz famously bolted on the Jets with a game left while the Giants fired Bill Arnsparger at midseason.

• And in 1996, Rick Kotite was given the boot after the Jets went 1-15 – arguably the worst season of any professional team in New York history – while Dan Reeves was kicked to the curb after his Giants went 6-10.

Those three seasons are 2014's chief competition for worst-ever status. It might be hard to top 1976, given that the Giants were in the middle of a 17-year postseason drought while the Jets had to watch icon Joe Namath throw 16 interceptions and just four touchdown passes in his final season with the franchise.

“If I knew the N.F.L. was this tough,” Holtz reportedly was caught muttering in the preseason, “I never would have taken the job.”

Then again, the 1973 season was a special kind of miserable, too, with both teams not only stinking it up on the field, but doing so on somebody else's field. The Jets were forced to play their first six games on the road because Shea Stadium was busy with the Mets in the World Series, while the Giants played their final five home games at the Yale Bowl as Yankee Stadium was reconstructed.

It is also fair to ask this: Can anything top the hopelessness that were the Jets under Kotite in 1996, a season that was so miserable that the Giants won six times as many games and still cleaned house?

“'I feel I've always been a bottom-line guy,” Kotite said the day he resigned. “And when you're 3-13 and 1-14, that just doesn't cut it.”

There's no definitive answer for the worst-ever season, but it makes for a good debate – one that 2014 can soon join. The two teams only have to win a couple more games to get out of this conversation, which given their schedules and overall parity in the NFL seems possible, maybe even likely.

Still: Our bumbling NFL teams are on pace with eight games left to do something truly historic, and not in a good way. Anyone want to bet against it ?

> http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/12/giants_and_jets_are_turning_2014_into_the_worst_season_in_ny_football_history_politi.html

To me this the 2nd worst behind 96. Mainly because of the toxic culture of the FO. Quite honestly I never remember this much dysfunction from top to bottom. Even the kotite years there wasn't in fighting and back stabbing like this in the FO

This is the worst season I've ever been through, only because it was so utterly avoidable.

This, although it could end up being a blessing in disguise if Woody learned the right lesson from this clusterf*ck, and makes the right moves this offseason (hiring a top flight GM, and giving him the latitude to purge the front office/scouting department as he sees fit, and to bring on his own HC).

Although I'm skeptical that Woody will learn the right lessons from this season and make the right corrections, because he is a clueless buffoon.

This is the worst season I've ever been through, only because it was so utterly avoidable.

It would have been if Woody had done the right thing two years ago and fired both of the nitwits together. If both Rex and Idzik don't go together at the end of this year, we will be having this same conversation in another 2 years. Book it.

Mailbag: Worse than Kotite Jets of mid-90s   ?
Your questions, my answers. Let's talk New York Jets:

@RichCimini: As bad as it is this year, it's not as bleak as the Rich Kotite years, 1995 and 1996. The current players respect Rex Ryan and his staff; I don't think that was always the case under Kotite. I mean, Richie was a nice enough guy, but the atmosphere had a substitute-teacher feel to it -- you know, players doing their own thing, an overall lack of discipline. Kotite came from a veteran team, the Philadelphia Eagles, and he coached the Jets as if they had that kind of veteran leadership in the locker room. They didn't. Players used to roll their eyes at some of his decisions and messages to the team. The record doesn't reflect it, obviously, but the current Jets are a more professional outfit than their distant cousins.

@RichCimini: Everybody is focused on the quarterback position, but let's be realistic: There's a decent chance they won't get Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston. After them, there's a big dropoff -- as of the current draft rankings. Amari Cooper is a distinct possibility. We should have a better picture of the wide receiver position early in the league year, when they have to make a decision on Percy Harvin. Cornerback is another huge need, but there are no blue-chip corners in the draft -- yet. The draft is top-heavy with defensive linemen, assuming the premier underclassmen turn pro, but it's hard to imagine the Jets going that route again.

@RichCimini: Yes, I think Woody Johnson will try to get involved in the Jim Harbaugh sweepstakes. And, yes, I think he'd give him final say on personnel matters. Chances are, it would be an Andy Reid-type situation in Kansas City. In other words, they'd hire a general manager (or someone with a similar title), but it would be a Harbaugh-approved hire that would report to the head coach. One potential stumbling block in a Harbaugh courtship: Compensation. The San Francisco 49ers aren't going let him leave without something in return, and you have to figure they'd demand a draft pick. How high is hard to say. There would be negotiations, shades of the Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick situations from long ago.

@RichCimini: Muhammad Wilkerson isn't going anywhere, I guarantee it. First of all, he's under contract for 2015 at $6.96 million. One of their objectives is to sign Wilkerson to a long-term extension. It may not happen right away -- it could drag through the summer -- but I suspect it will get done. As for the draft, I can summarize the approach in one word: playmakers. They need someone who can throw it, someone who can score touchdowns and someone who can cover the guys that score touchdowns. Easy, right?

@RichCimini: You can start with the injured players; Dee Milliner and Dex McDougle will be returning from injured reserve. Jace Amaro should be a factor at tight end, probably a starter. Ditto, Calvin Pryor at safety. Linebackers Trevor Reilly and IK Enemkpali will compete for significant roles, although it might be a stretch to pencil them in as starters. Marcus Williams is holding his own and could help the depth at cornerback. Maybe he can slide inside to nickel, with Kyle Wilson unlikely to be back. Bottom line: There isn't an abundance of young talent on the team. That's a problem.

I could give a ****less about the giants, it has zero to do with our season.

As far as this season goes. It's just another one where we know we're going to have to wait 3 or 4 more years to see if our new GM, coaches and QB are the right choice and so far in my life none have been.

Nice t!ts for a guy by the way.

Archived