Jets projected at #6 to take Amari Cooper as per Mcshay

CobraVerde

What do you think of Mschay's pick?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Do You like taking Amari Cooper @ #6?

• Yes. Good Deal. We need offensive firepower
    • No. Should move up to get either Winston or Mariotta. Do what you gotta do.
    • No. Should get someone else at #6 (please state who in post) or move down for more picks

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah, I've got you. Trust me, I follow the draft religiously, I recall both guys going top 10. I do think both had special attributes - namely YAC ability. I think Cooper's best talent is getting open right now - that's so much harder to translate when you're going against polished NFL corners.

If you double, guys like Julio and Green can jump over two guys, Watkins can run over/around them. I'm not sure what Cooper's going to do to make a play if he's doubled.

Really the reason I think Cooper's going to fall is that we've seen this happen before. Maybe the difference between him and Lee/Woods is that he's coming off a good season when they came off of down years. I just think 6'1, 205 running in the 4.48 range isn't going to get him in the top 10. That's what he looks like to me at least, then he'll "fall" due to a bad combine but I think he just is who he is. Maybe I'm wrong and he absolutely kills the 40, but he doesn't look special fast to me.

You're a Florida fan obviously, I'll have to re-watch that game tonight and see if I missed some things. My recollection is that he had a boatload of targets and a ton of that production came on a busted coverage.

It was a little bit of everything.  He beat Hargreaves one on one a handful of times but yeah, he had like an 80 yarder on busted coverage.

Because he's awful.

How the F do you draft someone in the top 5 who has 17 INT in 12 games, playing against ACC defenses? Unless you're just looking to steal the back pages of the NYP and NYDN.

But considering I'm talking to someone who regards Rex Ryan as a top 5 NFL coach, it stands to reason that you'd think Jameis Winston is a promising NFL prospect.

Matt Ryan threw 19 INT's vs. ACC defenses as a senior, not a sophomore. 

Jameis Winston is so awful he won the Heisman trophy and National Championship as a Freshman and has never lost a game in his career.   Thats awful, right there.  Awful.  Just down right awful.  Terrible.  Awful. Awful

He will be worse than Geno Smith, but unlike Geno we will be wedded to him for 3 years minimum due to where he will be drafted.

If we're dumb enough to draft him, every "fan" that lobbied for him will IMO be every bit as culpable for the fallout as the FO/GM that drafts him.

And he doesn't pick apart sh*t - he dumps the ball off to Greene or O'Leary who do 99% of the work…and he's playing behind an O-Line with 3 guys who will go no later than the 2nd round.

Jameis is the beneficiary of playing on that team; their success is in spite of him, not because of him.

Fans fault ^^^^^ 

FSU defintely didnt benefit from him his 40 TD and 10 INT Freshman season.  No benefit.  They won in spite of those numbers.

Awful.  Thats awful.  Terrible awful.

Fans fault

Guys, Cooper is gone, we blew it. We lost him when we beat The Titans..

I'm seeing a few early mocks with the Jets getting Cooper at #6. We'll see what happens. There are a few OTs and DTs rated very high, and those positions traditionally go very high. They're generally much safer picks than the WR, which still has a pretty significant bust potential as a position.

And if he's gone, as a consolation prize the Jets should have a shot at a franchise LT type. Not the worst thing in the world.

You don't go to jail for committing stupid penalties on the field. Why is Burfict being mentioned. DGB issues are legal, Burfict were football game rules.

Yes. Legal issues without charges. Burfict is being mentioned because of his "character" concerns which saw him go undrafted. He later went on to lead the league in tackles.

It was a little bit of everything.  He beat Hargreaves one on one a handful of times but yeah, he had like an 80 yarder on busted coverage.

I posted somewhere else, but most of it wasn't against Hargreaves. It was 5 for 40 and a TD on six targets against Hargreaves plus an OPI on Cooper. One of the catches for 6 yards against Hargreaves should've been another OPI but wasn't called.

He really made two impressive catches (one of which was called back) and two other NFL style catches. The rest were comebacks against off coverage, plays where he pushed off, and busted zones. Over half of his yards came against busted coverages. I want to watch the Auburn game, but a lot of his plays in the Florida game don't strike me as stuff that'll fly in the NFL against better defenses.

I posted somewhere else, but most of it wasn't against Hargreaves. It was 5 for 40 and a TD on six targets against Hargreaves plus an OPI on Cooper. One of the catches for 6 yards against Hargreaves should've been another OPI but wasn't called.

He really made two impressive catches (one of which was called back) and two other NFL style catches. The rest were comebacks against off coverage, plays where he pushed off, and busted zones. Over half of his yards came against busted coverages. I want to watch the Auburn game, but a lot of his plays in the Florida game don't strike me as stuff that'll fly in the NFL against better defenses.

The game was a while ago, so I cant say I remember it perfectly, but I remember he beat Hargreaves a handful of times where Hargreaves had aggressive coverage on him.  The 1 TD for sure.  It was a next level route and catch.

The guy he reminds me of the most in the NFL is Reggie Wayne.  I think he can have that type of career, especially if he has similar QB play.

The game was a while ago, so I cant say I remember it perfectly, but I remember he beat Hargreaves a handful of times where Hargreaves had aggressive coverage on him.  The 1 TD for sure.  It was a next level route and catch.

The guy he reminds me of the most in the NFL is Reggie Wayne.  I think he can have that type of career, especially if he has similar QB play.

The TD was impressive. One other catch against Hargreaves was solid, the rest was pretty vanilla stuff.

Maybe that's the disconnect. I could see Reggie Wayne too. Wayne's been able to benefit from elite QB play and playing across from other quality receivers his entire career - save maybe one season. I'm not taking Reggie Wayne in the top 10, particularly when I know he's not going to go to anything even resembling that situation with the Jets (or the majority of teams in the NFL). In the top 5-10, I want a guy who's got enough talent to potentially produce regardless of situation.

The TD was impressive. One other catch against Hargreaves was solid, the rest was pretty vanilla stuff.

Maybe that's the disconnect. I could see Reggie Wayne too. Wayne's been able to benefit from elite QB play and playing across from other quality receivers his entire career - save maybe one season. I'm not taking Reggie Wayne in the top 10, particularly when I know he's not going to go to anything even resembling that situation with the Jets (or the majority of teams in the NFL. In the top 5-10, I want a guy who's got enough talent to potentially produce regardless of situation.

Imagine if Santana Moss spent his first 10 years with Peyton?

Maybe that's the disconnect. I could see Reggie Wayne too. Wayne's been able to benefit from elite QB play and playing across from other quality receivers his entire career - save maybe one season. I'm not taking Reggie Wayne in the top 10, particularly when I know he's not going to go to anything even resembling that situation with the Jets (or the majority of teams in the NFL). In the top 5-10, I want a guy who's got enough talent to potentially produce regardless of situation.

Ummmm heh bub you do know Blake sims is throwing him the ball right?

Cooper won't be there at 6 

I agree. Jets o-line is a disaster and they should draft the best OT on the board and put him at RT to get Giacomini out of there. A guard later or in FA (Iupati) would get Colon out of there. The Jets can draft QB's until the cows come home....but they still can't block for him and that will make him BAD. Geno is terrible but has looked even worse behind that awful line. Look at how Dallas and Tony Romo have improved since improving the o-line. It ALL starts up front.

Ummmm heh bub you do know Blake sims is throwing him the ball right?

Again, come on dude. I'm comparing him to a player who I think he could play like at the NFL level, which is exactly what JiF was doing too, not comparing his situation in college right now to Wayne's entire pro career. If you're going to be a troll, do better.

Again, come on dude. I'm comparing him to a player who I think he could play like at the NFL level, which is exactly what JiF was doing too, not comparing his situation in college right now to Wayne's entire pro career. If you're going to be a troll, do better.

Reggie Wayne is a HOFer, so if you are trying to discredit RW, then you be on troll train

I agree. Jets o-line is a disaster and they should draft the best OT on the board and put him at RT to get Giacomini out of there. A guard later or in FA (Iupati) would get Colon out of there. The Jets can draft QB's until the cows come home....but they still can't block for him and that will make him BAD. Geno is terrible but has looked even worse behind that awful line. Look at how Dallas and Tony Romo have improved since improving the o-line. It ALL starts up front.

Colon has actually been doing an excellent job as a run-blocker.  He sucks at pass protection as does Giacomini but his run blocking has at times been superb this season.  I would bring him back one more year AND sign Iupati to put at LG.

No more Brian Winters or Oday Aboushis starting every week.  The less John Idzik draft picks starting the better.

We have extremely successful WR on our team that are proven that cost 20m combined in Decker and Harvin. I cant see Cooper being more successful then them here. 

We still have no Offense. 

There is absolutely zero point in drafting this guy unless we have a QB, and Oline in place. 

Also FYI theres zero chance we draft him with our current FO in place. We simply do not draft WR high outside of Stephen Hill since Terry Bradway has been here. We don't believe in it. So unless we clean house and hire a GM supports drafting a non AJ Green type receiver top 5 I wouldn't get my hopes up at all for this. 

Am I the only one that seriously does not see the big deal about this kid? He's Marqise Lee 2.0 who we could've had last year even with a trade down. He's no Sammy Watkins, Benjamin, or Evans.

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/nfl-scouts-not-in-love-with-amari-cooper/250599

And their's an article saying the same sh*t I'm saying. Compared to last draft's receivers, he's not that great.

Am I the only one that seriously does not see the big deal about this kid? He's Marqise Lee 2.0 who we could've had last year even with a trade down. He's no Sammy Watkins, Benjamin, or Evans.

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/nfl-scouts-not-in-love-with-amari-cooper/250599

And their's an article saying the same sh*t I'm saying. Compared to last draft's receivers, he's not that great.

Correctamundo Jets should pass on Cooper and Im prayin they do

Have you honestly watched him play? 

Have you honestly watched him play? 

Yup, have you watched Benjamin, Evans, or Watkins play? Cause compared to those guys, he's not worth the pick at #5 or wherever the hell we're picking.

Not saying he's bad, or will suck in the NFL. He'll probably be good. But he's not a receiver you draft in the top 5. He's no Julio Jones or any of the other guy's I listed.

I agree. He is too small to be a top 5 pick. Teams will cool off on him after the combine.

Archived