Scot McCloughan for Pro Personnel/GM. Article

32EBoozer

Having had my life effected by drugs and alcohol.... I hope he can come through this a changed man.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/12/23/7444075/a-talent-evaluator-worthy-of-heavy-consideration

Fellow GGN user "Traveling Man" recently commented on the article about Casserly’s impending hiring as an advisor and consultant. He brought up a name that I had never heard of before, and can’t stop thinking about since.

Scot McCloughan.

Scot was a GM for the 49ers for several years before being asked to leave, mainly for his issues with alcohol, then later the Senior Personnel Executive for the Seahawks under GM Schneider. His main issue is that he was, and may still be, an alcoholic. He still performed his job at an incredibly high level, but had a hard time staying sober and the 49ers just couldn’t keep him. With the Seahawks he was a bit better, but eventually in this past April he decided to step down from his job because of "personal issues". His life had become rough and he had had a divorce, and so he decided it was for the best to leave the team. He still loves the game and as I see it, still wants a job in the NFL. But he’ll have to prove to owners that he is still qualified for the job. From what I’ve read, he seems like he may be a changed man, but I haven’t read TOO much on him to completely decide that for myself. He seems to be a good man with incredible talent at scouting players, but until he’s proved he’s ready, he won’t be able to handle NFL life.

With that said, I still believe the Jets should jump at the opportunity to make this man either the Senior Personnel Executive or the General Manager.

With regards to football, even in the absence of having a job for a specific NFL team, or really any football team for that matter, is still hired to scout certain players for NFL teams around the league and does so constantly. He is widely regarded as one of if not the best talent evaluator in the United States for his expertise. For those of you wondering what players he is known for having a heavy hand in drafting, here are a few:

----------------------------

Frank Gore-49ers

Vernon Davis-49ers

Patrick Willis-49ers

Joe Staley-49ers

Richard Sherman-Seahawks

Russell Wilson-Seahawks

----------------------------

If that list alone doesn’t speak for itself, I’m not sure what will.

He also spotted traits in Russell that other teams didn’t see, to paraphrase something that he said about Wilson: I know we all like the tall QB’s and such, but this guy is the exception. He has the it factor.

This man has proven to be a Superbowl winning talent evaluator who would immediately bring the Jets drafting skill perhaps to near or at the top of the league. I’d love to see this man wearing a Green and White jacket in a few months, and perhaps he may be.

I haven’t seen or read enough about him yet to be completely informed about him, and make my final decision, but all of what I’ve read and seen so far points me to say this is a no brainer. His track record shows his skill as a scout and GM. I’d be well on board to have him lead this team. His issues with alcohol are worrying, but he seems to have overcome them, but that remains to be determined. Who knows? Maybe he’s the next top shelf GM.

Maybe Woody will see the potential that’s there.

Maybe we’ll draft some stellar players.

Maybe, just maybe, we might win something big.

Crediting this ESPN article as I attained most of my information from this article.

I apologize for any inaccuracies in this article, I am just too excited about this man, I had to write something about it.

Thanks for reading.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the guy JIF suggested, who a few of us also echoed. I've seen him popping up in conversation for a lot of front office openings in the past 48 hours. Not sure how much to read into it.

The dude is legit if he can get clean.

This is the guy JIF suggested, who a few of us also echoed. I've seen him popping up in conversation for a lot of front office openings in the past 48 hours. Not sure how much to read into it.

When I suggested him, the article I posted said he was going to work from home and start his own scouting consulting gig and didnt realize it was because of an addiction.  Wonder if he's got it under wraps and feels confident enough to take on a job of this stature.  Otherwise, I'd hire his consulting firm ASAP.  haha.  He clearly has an eye for talent.

When I suggested him, the article I posted said he was going to work from home and start his own scouting consulting gig and didnt realize it was because of an addiction.  Wonder if he's got it under wraps and feels confident enough to take on a job of this stature.  Otherwise, I'd hire his consulting firm ASAP.  haha.  He clearly has an eye for talent.

Even if it is bloodshot and half open.

If he did divorce, the East Coast could provide a fresh start... unless there are children involved.

Read this article a few weeks ago.  Guys a savant...really hope we give him an interview.

Keep in mind though...he is still drinking.

EDIT:  I didn't actually read this article a few weeks ago...this is the one I read...definitely worth a read:

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12014699/scot-mccloughan-nfl-best-talent-scout-self-employed-living-farm

Read this article a few weeks ago.  Guys a savant...really hope we give him an interview.

EDIT:  I didn't actually read this article a few weeks ago...this is the one I read...definitely worth a read:

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12014699/scot-mccloughan-nfl-best-talent-scout-self-employed-living-farm

Read that article too. Like I said, if he's not ready to take on a GM type job...then hire his damn consulting firm pronto!  

Noticed this in the article you posted. Wolf may have some pull with this guy?!

He has an "exceptional ... uncanny" gift, in the words of his mentor and former boss Ron Wolf. It's why he named his business Instinctive Scouting.

Noticed this in the article you posted. Wolf may have some pull with this guy?!

He has an "exceptional ... uncanny" gift, in the words of his mentor and former boss Ron Wolf. It's why he named his business Instinctive Scouting.

I did not make that connection!  Oh man, this could actually happen.  Maybe not a GM role but canning that asshat Bradway and replacing him with Scot...wet dream worthy.

I did not make that connection!  Oh man, this could actually happen.  Maybe not a GM role but canning that asshat Bradway and replacing him with Scot...wet dream worthy.

I got an "A" in reading comprehension in the 3rd grade. Has carried me through life!

As far as replacing Bradway... this would be a great work environment for him with Wolf hopefully sticking around for awhile.

Maybe once he gets a couple of years of sobriety under his belt (and a couple of good drafts) he gets the GM position.

I got an "A" in reading comprehension in the 3rd grade. Has carried me through life!

As far as replacing Bradway... this would be a great work environment for him with Wolf hopefully sticking around for awhile.

Maybe once he gets a couple of years of sobriety under his belt (and a couple of good drafts) he gets the GM position.

On the bright side the Jets can't drive him to drink he's there already.. :winking0001:

He also spotted traits in Russell that other teams didn’t see, to paraphrase something that he said about Wilson: I know we all like the tall QB’s and such, but this guy is the exception. He has the it factor.

From what I understand, Terry Bradway wanted him also and said much of the same things. I don't know that I want a guy with 'personal issues' running the team that I love. Alcoholics fall off the wagon all the time and it seems like this guy has a few times.  

We usually only hire the idiot variety..

From what you read McCloughan seems to have the respect of everyone in the scouting community.

But to put him in charge of your team without fully knowing if he's got his drinking problem

under control is dangerous.  When we hire a GM I wouldn't mind if he hires McCloughan to be

on his personnel staff and allow him to work his way back up

From what you read McCloughan seems to have the respect of everyone in the scouting community.

But to put him in charge of your team without fully knowing if he's got his drinking problem

under control is dangerous.  When we hire a GM I wouldn't mind if he hires McCloughan to be

on his personnel staff and allow him to work his way back up

Agreed. Director of College Scouting or Asst. GM works for me.

Scot could get ready for his interview by playing Max's favorite game..

Blow Me

42.gif

1 bottle
1 deck of cards
4+ players

43.gif

1. To start Blow Me, take a deck of cards and stack them on top of a bottle (beer, vodka, whatever..). 

2. Each person then tries to blow the cards off the deck. 

3. If they can blow one card off than everyone drinks, if they blow more than one off nothing happens, BUT when somebody blows the whole deck of cards off the bottle they must drink the entire time while everyone sings the following tune: 

*We will use the name Julie as as example... 

"Oh here's to sister (when its a guy you say brother) Julie, sister Julie, sister Julie, oh here's to sister Julie who's with us tonight. She eats it, she beats it, she even mistreats it, so drink mother f*cker, drink mother f*cker, drink mother f*cker drink!" 

...and the crowd can sing as fast or as slow as they would like.

Read more: DRINKING/PARTY GAMES: Blow Me http://www.drinksmixer.com/games/6/#ixzz3NxvhA4K6

staying clean is also a chore

No idea why he should be considered for a pro evaluator, 99% of his resume is in the field of college scouting.  GMs usually come from either the pro/college/Financial side. I have no issue at all with him as a GM, He can always get a pro scout and count on his coaching staff for recommendations.

Archived