Jets ask permission to interview New Orleans Saints' Ryan Pace for general manager job

Ken Schroy

Jets ask permission to interview New Orleans Saints' Ryan Pace for general manager job

Two new general manager candidates for the Jets' vacancy emerged Friday night, and another popped up Saturday afternoon: Ryan Pace, the Saints' director of player personnel. The Jets have requested permission to interview Pace for John Idzik's old job. The Pace news was first reported by Metro's Kristian Dyer. Pace just completed his second season as the Saints' director of player personnel. They are the only NFL organization he has ever worked for. Pace overlapped with Jets coaching target Doug Marrone in New Orleans. Marrone was the Saints' offensive coordinator from 2006-08. The Jets are set to interview Marrone on Saturday. The Saints aren't in the playoffs, so Pace can interview with the Jets whenever he wants. The same is true of the two candidates who emerged Friday night: Miami's Chris Grier and Kansas City's Chris Ballard. The Jets have requested permission to interview both. The Bears, the only other NFL team currently with a GM opening, have also reportedly asked the Saints for permission to interview Pace. Last year, the Saints denied the Dolphins permission to speak with Pace about their GM vacancy. New Orleans GM Mickey Loomis told reporters last year that he denied Miami permission because the Saints were in the playoffs at that point. That is not an obstacle now for the Bears and Jets, as they put in requests to speak with Pace. The Jets have interviewed three GM candidates so far: in-house candidate Rod Graves, Seattle's Trent Kirchner and the Browns' Bill Kuharich. They have interviews upcoming with Houston's Mike Maccagnan and the Eagles' Rick Mueller. Two GM targets declined the Jets' interview request: Minnesota's George Paton and Baltimore's Eric DeCosta. Both have turned down numerous GM overtures in recent years, so landing either seemed unlikely for the Jets. Pace just completed his 13th season in the Saints' player personnel department. He currently works with Loomis to oversee college and pro scouting. Before being promoted to his current role, Pace was the Saints' director of pro scouting for six years. Prior to that, he was a pro scout for the Saints from 2004-06, with his duties including evaluating draft prospects. Pace got his start in New Orleans as a scouting assistant in 2002, and before that as a game-day operations assistant in 2001. If Pace decides to remain in New Orleans, he might be in line for another step up in the organization:

Ian Rapoport        

@RapSheet Follow

#Jets request to speak with #Saints player personnel director Ryan Pace. Smart. He’s taken on a bigger role in NO, may get a promotion there

Pace played defensive end at Eastern Illinois from 1995-99. Pace overlapped for two years at Eastern Illinois with Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, who arrived at the school in 1998, and redshirted that year.

I don't know much about the new candidates, I like to see that their turning every stone however.

Agree...

I've been thinking the Macc - Marrone thing is already a done deal - and everythng else is window dressing...

BUT....the more names I see the more I think it's not a done deal and they are truly looking for the best possible candidates.

Agree...

I've been thinking the Macc - Marrone thing is already a done deal - and everythng else is window dressing...

BUT....the more names I see the more I think it's not a done deal and they are truly looking for the best possible candidates.

We can only pray Marrone isn't our next coach. He's a coach with a ceiling. May the team be better next year? Yes. Will they ever be elite? No, he doesn't have that in him. He's limited, like Rex. If he was special, the Bills would have thrown him a new deal and avoided this

So could it be Marrone brought up Pace in his interview as someone he would like to team with?

I also would bet Marrone interviewed well as he already scouted the Jets twice this year and would have a pretty good knowledge of what needs to be fixed.

Just because they worked together in New Orleans doesn't mean that Pace WANTS Marrone as his HC choice. They just HAPPENED to be in NO at the same time. Doesn't mean they even like each other, but there is a certain feeling I get that Charley Casserly and his man crush is going to sway the turnip to do just the thing no Jets fan wants.

Just because they worked together in New Orleans doesn't mean that Pace WANTS Marrone as his HC choice. They just HAPPENED to be in NO at the same time. Doesn't mean they even like each other, but there is a certain feeling I get that Charley Casserly and his man crush is going to sway the turnip to do just the thing no Jets fan wants.

Why do you think no Jet fan wants him? Don't talk for the rest of us.

Archived