Ryan mallet will beat out Geno next year............

johnnyjet

There are no good QBs on the free agent market.  Look at the teams that would possibly be letting these guys go.  

Rams:  They are better than us in almost every aspect, a QB away from real contention.  So either they keep Bradford, or let him go because he's horrible and they have to give up.  If he was any good, they would just keep him because QB is their biggest need as well.

Texans:  Another team that really is a QB from serious contention, so if they let Mallet go, what does that say about their evaluation on him?

Bears:  Cutler has three pro bowl caliber guys in Forte, Jeffery, Marshall, and a decent TE in Bennet, working with a QB guru who made a good $15 million for Josh Mcgown last year, and he couldn't do anything.  Not exactly what we have here, and Cutler has disappointed everywhere he's been.  

Browns:  Hoyer was terrible, probably the biggest reason that team wasn't in the playoffs this year, because he sucks.  

Titans:  They are picking ahead of us thanks to Locker.  That team actually took off when he got hurt and they inserted Whitehurst.  So much so, that they had to go to Mettenberger to be horrible again (a guy who had mediocre stats throwing to Beckham/Landry, with Hill as the RB and a very good OLine in college) to tank for the pick.   

There is absolutely no one out there that is going to even remotely solve the problem for us.   I find absolutely no use in having a "Holdover" QB so we can win 5-7 games every year.  If this was the 2009 roster, then sure, an average veteran would work.  However, not for this group.  Either Geno Smith improves, or we keep losing until we find a QB in the draft or trade.  

The only intriguing one to me is RGIII.  It depends what his explosive level is after a year away from surgery, but then there are rumors that he's a clubhouse cancer, so not exactly a slam dunk either.  Rather than wasting cap space on a mediocre QB, I'd rather just let Geno and a young draft pick go at it, and hope we find something.   

I think we should inquire about Chase Daniel. Chiefs got 5 QBs on the Roster and 2 of them are rookies with Arm talent.

If we are poaching from the Chiefs, the guy I would take is Tyler Bray.  Big time arm talent (very similar to Mallet), mobile enough, but can't make reads.  If he has progressed at all the last two years, then I think he could be someone that has more upside than say Matt Simms and give Geno a run.  Assuming he won't cost much at all.  

I am not really a stats guy but this post bothers me enough that I had to go look ''Geno Smith in 2013:Comp% : 55.8TDs : 12INTs : 21QBR : 66.5Geno Smith in 2014:Comp % : 59.7TDs : 13INTs : 13QBR : 77.5Now I watched the games and I realized just how terrible Geno Smith played. I also take into consideration that fact that this kid should never have been given the starting job his 1st year in the NFL coming from the college program he did and having to learn the WCO.When I look at those stats, I see improvement across the board at every level. Now I realize this kid has played bad, but why is it so difficult to believe that this kid can get better when the stats say that he has.

Geno in 2015:

Comp % - 62.3

Td - 16

Int - 12

Qbr - 86.6

Geno in 2022 - Joe Montana

If we are poaching from the Chiefs, the guy I would take is Tyler Bray.  Big time arm talent (very similar to Mallet), mobile enough, but can't make reads.  If he has progressed at all the last two years, then I think he could be someone that has more upside than say Matt Simms and give Geno a run.  Assuming he won't cost much at all.

Andy Reed loves him . you got no chance.

Andy Reed loves him . you got no chance.

I think they stashed him this year on the IR, but it'll be interesting to see how he does in camp next year.   

With Murray, Pryor, and Daniel involved, I figure they might be willing to move on from a couple of them next year.  

Look I could careless what happens to Geno Smith as an NFL QB. All I know is the kid is 24 yrs old, has the tools to be successful and the Jets have no QB on the roster worth a darn. Last yr I said the Jets should try to resign Mark Sanchez after he was released and I never liked Sanchez as a QB. When you have no QB, even a young bad one with experience is better than an old one or none at all.We need to draft a QB with potential, but we also need a young veteran and a younger QB with experience . All you need to know about Matt Simms is he got beat out at Tennessee by a kid whose coaches and team mates couldn't stand him.Start with Geno, bring in a player like Chase Daniels and draft a player like Sean Mannion.

Drew Henson started ahead of Brady in college, that may not mean a lot about Simms. Lots of backups become better than college stars in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if martavis Bryant is better than Sammy Watkins down the road. Odell beckham was basically a number 2 behind Jarvis Landry at lsu.

Drew Henson started ahead of Brady in college, that may not mean a lot about Simms. Lots of backups become better than college stars in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if martavis Bryant is better than Sammy Watkins down the road. Odell beckham was basically a number 2 behind Jarvis Landry at lsu.

Did you ever see Matt Simms play QB at Tennessee ? I did, and he doesn't look much different today. Just because you can throw the ball from one end of the field to the other doesn't mean you can be a good QB . It's like being a tall guy in basketball.

If by chance the chips fall as projected. But then again there are 28-30 other backups that would beat out Geno. I for one would love to take a flyer on Ryan Mallet or any other unproven free agent QB with a pulse.

Anyone not named Geno Smith or Mike Vick.  

Thats a good start for 2015.

If by chance the chips fall as projected. But then again there are 28-30 other backups that would beat out Geno. I for one would love to take a flyer on Ryan Mallet or any other unproven free agent QB with a pulse.

Not a chance. Mallet has peaked. Geno hasn't. Take it to the bank, put it in your Suh, do whatever, but I'll be back to backup my talk. Geno played at an above average QB level one pass after returning from the benching.

One thing to remember is who did Geno have to throw to to get a rhythm going?  Decker was good when he wasn't hurt, but he was hurt or hampered by injuries at least half the season.  Kerley is good, but Amaro, Kerley and even a healthy Decker is not a full complement of receivers from an NFL standpoint.  The receiver situation improved somewhat this year over last year, but that's not saying much.

One thing to remember is who did Geno have to throw to to get a rhythm going? Decker was good when he wasn't hurt, but he was hurt or hampered by injuries at least half the season. Kerley is good, but Amaro, Kerley and even a healthy Decker is not a full complement of receivers from an NFL standpoint. The receiver situation improved somewhat this year over last year, but that's not saying much.

Morhinweg doesn't call that stupid timeout nullifying that gorgeous game tying throw in week 2 I think the entire season plays out differently for Geno.

What about TJ Yates? Maccagnan was part of the staff that drafted him. I am not saying he is the answer to the jets woes, but he is a developmental guy and has played and even won a playoff game. He had a terrible game against the ravens in the playoffs, but for a rookie playing that team it is certainly understandable.

A guy who is off the list now is Connor Shaw, Who I know there were a couple of jet fans who wanted to poach him from the Brown's practice squad

This is nonsense.  Let's at least get to mini-camp in a non-Rex regime before you start touting this kind of bogus crap.

Geno has no upside . Go watch the pinstripe bowl. We don't draft this schmuck who does and where. Idzik tried to catch lightning in a bottle. Annnnd how'd that work out?

All the nfl experts agree. He's no better than a backup if that. That's my opinion, and when he wins the Super Bowl, please come back to me and tell me I told you so.

I've been a fan of the Jets since 1970, he's one of the worst, if not the worst we have ever had.

If our QB comp is between Mallet and Smith we will win 2-3 games next year. Neither is capable. We need a big name to energize this roster. Not another big question mark.

TRADE FOR FOLES.

Foles is a half-season wonder who'd get destroyed if he had to run a conventional NFL Offense again. 

Mike Glennon is the only guy available via trade who I think could come here and be successful.  There are 0 free agent qb's out there who are better than Geno.  Not a compliment to Geno.  I think Geno sucks but the free agent qb's out there this off-season are putrid.

john kitna, kyle orton, or chad penny out of retirement would crush geno.

Archived