The Duck sucked, take the young Buck!

docdhc

This mentality about draft 'em high and start 'em fast... Jones is a great example of guy who you could draft in the 3rd-4th and develop for 1-2 years. not saying right now we should, but that's the way to go this year. Forget Mariota and Winston. Start watching film on Grayson, Bridge, Petty etc. that's where the value is this year IMO

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well actually it can get worse.  If you pass on the next sheldon richardson, darrel revis to reach for a Qb it gets worse 

if the Jets get the next Sheldon Richardson, that guy doesn't even have a starting position 

it's all about the QB. if they get one they'll be good if they don't theyll stink. It's that simple. 

if the Jets get the next Sheldon Richardson, that guy doesn't even have a starting position 

it's all about the QB. if they get one they'll be good if they don't theyll stink. It's that simple. 

No one we draft (outside of winston which isn't happening) is going to start for us next year. The QB class this year doesn't have anyone like that.... In other words, take a deep breath and get used to the notion that we'll be surviving off Geno/veteran we bring in. No sense is reaching on a QB that needs development. 

Pick any position you wish, richardson was only an example of what you can get by sticking to your board.  Pick and olineman, Wr, LB any position you like.  If you force picks due to need to over time erode team talent.  You look aback and say, gee the QB we took in the 1st round is a two year bust and the olineman we passed on is a pro bowler.

You need a Qb but if there is not a good one there it is stupid to force it.  Look at Geno smith, that was a good pick by the jets.  One of the top rated QBs in the class but not a great class, we took him at a value spot in the 2nd round after going CB and DL.  Now look at the Bills, and Manuel, no better than Geno but taken 20 picks or so higher.

Is this thread serious? I know 'no personal attacks', but do you guys actually watch college football.

Make a counter point that can be debated instead of just throwing out a shot.  What is your evaluation so we can judge whether you watch college ball?

Make a counter point that can be debated instead of just throwing out a shot.  What is your evaluation so we can judge whether you watch college ball?

He's a sophomore. That sentence has more in it than any "we should draft him" post. Stop watching ESPN.

He's a sophomore. That sentence has more in it than any "we should draft him" post. Stop watching ESPN.

If he declares he'll get picked up by someone, somewhere in the range of 3rd round - UDFA.  Where on that continuum would you be willing to take a flyer on him? 

If he declares he'll get picked up by someone, somewhere in the range of 3rd round - UDFA.  Where on that continuum would you be willing to take a flyer on him?

Right where I'd take Terrell Pryor. AKA: never.

And I'll say it again, stop watching ESPN.

Right where I'd take Terrell Pryor. AKA: never.

And I'll say it again, stop watching ESPN.

I watched the game last night, that's what I'm going on.  I don't give a sh** what the talking heads say.  You haven't made a single viable argument that he isn't even worth a 7th rounder or UDFA signing. 

He's big, fast and has a strong arm.  Obviously the sample size is too small to commit anything but 3rd string duties to him at the pro game until he learns the position.  But with QB being a premium position, it's going to be worth taking a small risk for a franchise out there.  I think it should be us if the price is right.  It's not like anyone knows exactly how these QB prospects will play out in the first place.

I watched the game last night, that's what I'm going on.  I don't give a sh** what the talking heads say.  You haven't made a single viable argument that he isn't even worth a 7th rounder or UDFA signing. 

He's big, fast and has a strong arm.  Obviously the sample size is too small to commit anything but 3rd string duties to him at the pro game until he learns the position.  But with QB being a premium position, it's going to be worth taking a small risk for a franchise out there.  I think it should be us if the price is right.  It's not like anyone knows exactly how these QB prospects will play out in the first place.

He's a sophomore. Stop watching ESPN.

I mean do you really think some team is going to hit a home run on a sophomore when the entire history of NCAA QBs is dont draft an underclassmen with very few exceptions?

He's a sophomore. Stop watching ESPN.

I mean do you really think some team is going to hit a home run on a sophomore when the entire history of NCAA QBs is dont draft an underclassmen with very few exceptions?

He's a sophomore.  Stop watching ESPN.  Read that the first time you posted it, and it's not an argument.

I'm saying he's worth a flier as, at least, a 7th rounder or UDFA.  No one is expecting to hit a Home Run with that kind of pick.  We once took Scotty McKnight in the 7th round. 

This guy is not in the typical category of underclassmen, so you can throw your dumb rule out, too.  Which of those Underclassmen failures were 3rd string QB's who did what he did?

he deserves it. He looked terrible. A product of the system. 

how much of him looking out of kilter do you attribute to not having his WRs with him?  or not having a running game. Now he is a product of his system, but that does not mean that he can not learn any other system. He is smart, athletic, a leader and has a very good arm. It seems like you believe he has a lot less upside that many others.  He is not ready but give him some good coaching and two camps and I think he will be.

how much of him looking out of kilter do you attribute to not having his WRs with him? or not having a running game. Now he is a product of his system, but that does not mean that he can not learn any other system. He is smart, athletic, a leader and has a very good arm. It seems like you believe he has a lot less upside that many others. He is not ready but give him some good coaching and two camps and I think he will be.

Some of it was him missing his top wrs but you also have to give credit to the defensive line

who dominated the ducks online.

He's a sophomore.  Stop watching ESPN.  Read that the first time you posted it, and it's not an argument.

I'm saying he's worth a flier as, at least, a 7th rounder or UDFA.  No one is expecting to hit a Home Run with that kind of pick.  We once took Scotty McKnight in the 7th round. 

This guy is not in the typical category of underclassmen, so you can throw your dumb rule out, too.  Which of those Underclassmen failures were 3rd string QB's who did what he did?

He has stupid wasted pick written all over him. Just like Scotty McKnight. Not sure how or why you don't see this.

He has stupid wasted pick written all over him. Just like Scotty McKnight. Not sure how or why you don't see this.

Because you don't have a clue which QB's will pan out, just like everyone else.  Just as you can declare him worthless after 3 starts, I can declare him worthy of being scooped up on what he showed in his 3 starts.  Stubbornly saying the same thing over and over again like you know anything doesn't make you right.

He's not staying to back up Barrett, that's nonsense.

And Bryce Petty? Get outta here, he's dogsh*t. All these second tier QBs are almost always dogsh*t. This notion that you pick a lower tier QB and develop them just doesn't work. Ever. It's something like 97%+ QBs drafted from the second round on don't amount to anything. If a QB with a first round grade is there, you take him. And then take another in the later rounds. You don't rely on the second tier QB as your only hope.

And Bryce Petty? Get outta here, he's dogsh*t. All these second tier QBs are almost always dogsh*t. This notion that you pick a lower tier QB and develop them just doesn't work. Ever. It's something like 97%+ QBs drafted from the second round on don't amount to anything. If a QB with a first round grade is there, you take him. And then take another in the later rounds. You don't rely on the second tier QB as your only hope.

Have to agree.  Manning, Manning, Brees, Rogers, Roethlisberger, Rivers,Luck,Stafford, Cutler, Palmer all in first round or 2nd(Brees).  Only franchise Qb exceptions currently are Brady and Wilson.  Historically, Marino, Elway, Favre,Kelly, Aikman, Young also.  Montana and Warner exceptions.

^This guy gets it.

Have to agree.  Manning, Manning, Brees, Rogers, Roethlisberger, Rivers,Luck,Stafford, Cutler, Palmer all in first round or 2nd(Brees).  Only franchise Qb exceptions currently are Brady and Wilson.  Historically, Marino, Elway, Favre,Kelly, Aikman, Young also.  Montana and Warner exceptions.

Missed one.

Romo (undrafted)

Archived