The Duck sucked, take the young Buck!

docdhc

If this was the NBA, Jones would go really high. The NFL isn't nearly as upside focused, though.

Barring some awful off the field stuff Jones would absolutely get drafted, though. There's a baseline level of physical ability necessary to play QB in the NFL, and Jones easily checks all those boxes. On top of that, he's been successful on a huge stage against quality opponents. The question is where he'd go, and that's a tough call. Logan Thomas went in the 4th last year with similar if maybe not quite as freakish physical traits, and that was despite the fact that he'd been consistently unsuccessful in college. But he was so talented that Arizona was willing to try to break him down and build him up again. Jones presumably has less bad habits and I'd argue that looking good in really limited action is better than consistently looking inconsistent in a lot of games.

Given he's a developmental guy, I don't think he makes sense for the Jets. A team with an older quarterback who has a couple of years left like Dallas would be a nice spot to just take a shot on him and let him sit for a couple of years. But if he ends up in New York, he could easily get forced into action too soon.

That said, he's in a tough spot. Right now he's 22. If he transfers to an FBS school, he'll be 24 after his junior year and 25 after his senior year if he stays that long. Transferring to an FCS school and lighting it up probably wouldn't do much, but at least he'd only be 23 after his junior year. If he stays at OSU, there's a very real chance he's not the starter next year which won't help his stock. Someone pointed out that he could stay through spring ball and see if he gets the starting gig, then go the supplemental route if he doesn't. That could make sense.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohio State guy at 6, hmmmm, can't quite place it but that has a familiar ring... :confused0006:

I don't think any one is actually touting Jones at 6, but he sure would be interesting in later rounds. 

As Bit said, he might not even be a starter next year at OS.    Still 3 games?     LOL

how much of him looking out of kilter do you attribute to not having his WRs with him?  or not having a running game. Now he is a product of his system, but that does not mean that he can not learn any other system. He is smart, athletic, a leader and has a very good arm. It seems like you believe he has a lot less upside that many others.  He is not ready but give him some good coaching and two camps and I think he will be.

def not having his best WR hurt. But I don't see this very good arm. It's all dinking and dunking.

as for the Jets if they somehow draft Mariota it won't be to sit him behind Geno for two camps. This player is going to have to play right away. Or he drops to Aaron Rodgers territory.  

def not having his best WR hurt. But I don't see this very good arm. It's all dinking and dunking.

as for the Jets if they somehow draft Mariota it won't be to sit him behind Geno for two camps. This player is going to have to play right away. Or he drops to Aaron Rodgers territory.  

IDK  he could easily sit behind a vet for a season 

I actually was pretty happy he lost.  Hoping he would drop to us now.  "Here we go Marcus here we go!"

The "knock him down because there's too much time between now and the draft" agenda has been put in motion. Remember when the best player in college stayed the best player and was drafted like the best player, back before there were multiple channels with 24/7 coverage of all things sports? Those were the days where you could pass on Dan Marino and nobody would even sweat in their athletic tube socks.

If this was the NBA, Jones would go really high. The NFL isn't nearly as upside focused, though.

Barring some awful off the field stuff Jones would absolutely get drafted, though. There's a baseline level of physical ability necessary to play QB in the NFL, and Jones easily checks all those boxes. On top of that, he's been successful on a huge stage against quality opponents. The question is where he'd go, and that's a tough call. Logan Thomas went in the 4th last year with similar if maybe not quite as freakish physical traits, and that was despite the fact that he'd been consistently unsuccessful in college. But he was so talented that Arizona was willing to try to break him down and build him up again. Jones presumably has less bad habits and I'd argue that looking good in really limited action is better than consistently looking inconsistent in a lot of games.

Given he's a developmental guy, I don't think he makes sense for the Jets. A team with an older quarterback who has a couple of years left like Dallas would be a nice spot to just take a shot on him and let him sit for a couple of years. But if he ends up in New York, he could easily get forced into action too soon.

That said, he's in a tough spot. Right now he's 22. If he transfers to an FBS school, he'll be 24 after his junior year and 25 after his senior year if he stays that long. Transferring to an FCS school and lighting it up probably wouldn't do much, but at least he'd only be 23 after his junior year. If he stays at OSU, there's a very real chance he's not the starter next year which won't help his stock. Someone pointed out that he could stay through spring ball and see if he gets the starting gig, then go the supplemental route if he doesn't. That could make sense.

I'd draft Jones before I'd draft Brett Hundley, and I think that's the way most teams would approach it. If Jones checks out off the field, I think he's as viable as any of these QBs after the top two guys, and I don't want to draft either of the top two guys.

I'd draft Jones before I'd draft Brett Hundley, and I think that's the way most teams would approach it. If Jones checks out off the field, I think he's as viable as any of these QBs after the top two guys, and I don't want to draft either of the top two guys.

Stop. Just ******* stop talking.

I would absolutely take Mariotta is he's there at 6.  He won't be, because he'll ace the combine and interviews.  He has a strong arm, good character, and runs exceptionally well for a QB.  He's more of an athlete than the Geno's, Bridgewaters of years past, so he's not one I have pegged to drop any at all once the offseason prospect scrutiny begins.   I think his stock is akin to RGIII where people weren't sure if he was going to be a good QB (at the time), and once the workouts started, they were seriously considering him over RGIII in some circles (Hello Phil Simms).  

If anyone is going to drop, it's Winston.   He doesn't run nearly as well, isn't nearly as mobile, has an elongated delivery and bad footwork, and is possibly dumb enough to screw up the interviews.  

Yeah, the Hundley point is the argument I saw someone else make today. There's some validity to it. I already know Hundley's bad at a number of things. If I can get better tools with Jones and maybe he doesn't have those same weaknesses on top of that, that's the direction I'd obviously rather go in.

It's a really unique situation. You'll have detractors say that guys like Logan Thomas or Reggie McNeal were viewed as #1 overall pick types before they actually played in a bunch more games and everyone realized they weren't that good. And that's fair. But Jones just won a national championship and had some huge wins against quality teams on the way, so while the sample size is small it's not like he was slinging the ball all over the place against a bunch of guys who are going to be working desk jobs next year.

The raw tools are definitely there. I will say that the line and run game were absolutely dominant for Ohio State, so while the hype is somewhat warranted I do think it's worth taking a step back and realizing this isn't Cam Newton at Auburn. Jones made some really nice plays and flashed an impressive skill set against some really good teams in some huge games, but I don't think he was the focal point of that offense either.

But Jones just won a national championship and had some huge wins against quality teams on the way, so while the sample size is small it's not like he was slinging the ball all over the place against a bunch of guys who are going to be working desk jobs next year. 

Jones says he's going back to school. FWIW

Jones says he's going back to school. FWIW

Really? I haven't seen that. I know he said he didn't think he was ready for the NFL, but then said he was going to talk to Meyer and figure out the next step. Just checked again and still don't see anything official.

Archived