Larry Fitzgerald speaks on Arizona in past tense.

Patriot Killa

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/13/larry-fitzgerald-speaks-of-cardinals-in-past-tense/

With Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald approaching a new league year that will entail a cap number of $23.6 million, a “mutual parting” is possible. In a Tuesday appearance on NBCSN, Fitzgerald chose his words in a way suggesting that he’s already gone.

“I truly enjoyed my time playing for the Arizona Cardinals, really enjoyed my relationship with Bruce Arians and his coaching staff, truly been a pleasure to play in the NFL for as long as I have been able to but obviously there’s business that needs to be taken care of,” Fitzgerald told Paul Burmeister of Pro Football Talk on NBCSN. “Hopefully we can address it here in the near future.”

The Cardinals and Fitzgerald’s agent reportedly are negotiating a new deal. During the regular season, PFT reported that the Cardinals won’t cut Fitzgerald. G.M. Steve Keim thereafter said the team already has worked the cash and cap budget to keep Fitzgerald.

He could still be traded, but the team privately insists he won’t be released. The strategy could be to force him to jeopardize his “nice guy” image by hoarding cash and cap space at a time when his skills may not justify the investment.

Being that our HC is now Todd Bowles... Don't you think we have a good chance if they can't seal the deal? Or is he too old?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/13/larry-fitzgerald-speaks-of-cardinals-in-past-tense/

With Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald approaching a new league year that will entail a cap number of $23.6 million, a “mutual parting” is possible. In a Tuesday appearance on NBCSN, Fitzgerald chose his words in a way suggesting that he’s already gone.

“I truly enjoyed my time playing for the Arizona Cardinals, really enjoyed my relationship with Bruce Arians and his coaching staff, truly been a pleasure to play in the NFL for as long as I have been able to but obviously there’s business that needs to be taken care of,” Fitzgerald told Paul Burmeister of Pro Football Talk on NBCSN. “Hopefully we can address it here in the near future.”

The Cardinals and Fitzgerald’s agent reportedly are negotiating a new deal. During the regular season, PFT reported that the Cardinals won’t cut Fitzgerald. G.M. Steve Keim thereafter said the team already has worked the cash and cap budget to keep Fitzgerald.

He could still be traded, but the team privately insists he won’t be released. The strategy could be to force him to jeopardize his “nice guy” image by hoarding cash and cap space at a time when his skills may not justify the investment.

Being that our HC is now Todd Bowles... Don't you think we have a good chance if they can't seal the deal? Or is he too old?

Fitzgerald is too slow. He has fantastic hands but if Gailey is looking to implement a Spread Offense you cannot have Decker and Fitzgerald as your top guys. Its just not going to work. You need fast shifty guys for that type of scheme. Fitzgerald wasnt ultrafast to begin with. I'd pass. 

He's too old for us.   I think he would be great in Carolina with the young Benjamin on the other side.   Cam needs another weapon and his experience can only help groom Benjamin.

Great landing spot for Fitz. A shame he had to endure bad QB play for the last few years. As a Jets fan, I know what that is like

Cards are $8 mil over the cap... may get a few of their players if cut. Darnelle Dockett specifically.

Another player whose future could be impacted by his cap number is veteran defensive tackle Darnell Dockett. He's scheduled to earn $6.8 million next season, the last on his four-year extension he signed in 2010, and will carry a $9.8 million cap hit. After missing this season with an ACL injury and turning 34 in May, both numbers may be too high for Arizona in 2015.

But Arians expects him back. And Arians said he'd "definitely" like to have cornerback Antonio Cromartie back next season.

Cromartie signed a one-year deal for $3.5 million in March.

Arians would also love to have veteran linebacker Larry Foote back. Foote will be a free agent in March but is pondering retirement at 34 despite finishing 2014 second on the team with 84 tackles.

"He's at an age where the decision for him is if he wants to continue to carry on, but I think his presence will always be felt here, like Karlos' was last year," said Arians, referring to former Cardinals linebacker Karlos Dansby. "When you bring a pro in that guys rally around -- like I said, Larry was only here five or six weeks and he got 15 votes for captain -- that speaks for itself."

He's just signed that ridiculous 7-year contract with the Cards last year.

He cannot become a FA until 2019.

Well the 7-year deal was signed in 2011 but they did a serious restructure last year. I don't know how they do this. I mean they'll obviously come up with something, but they've got big salary cap problems there.

From overthecap and other articles, Fitz restructured last year to convert $11.75M of salary to roster bonus (but it's a roster bonus treated as signing bonus) last year plus an $8M roster bonus due in March. Don't think the roster bonus is guaranteed but just over $10M of the $11.75M still has to come off their cap. That's on top of the remaining prorated amounts of prior signing/option bonus money paid to him.

Then they've got a whole year guaranteed for Carson Palmer who may not even play next year, and if he does how useful will he be and by when? Sprinting and such isn't his game, but even still he's not going to heal as fast as a 25 year old can.

They look pretty f*cked for '15.

Oh, and as a nice bonus on top of that, they lost their well-regarded DC, though admittedly today it's just a guess how much of an impact that will ultimately have on their D (Bowles's replacement may be as good, better, or worse, but I sense they'd have liked for him to return in the same role for them).

New coach and new GM, means we have to collect all their old and/or crappy players that they've ever been connected to.

You hire a personnel GM to find the next Larry Fitzgerald.

THIS.  Draft the best available of Dorel Green-Beckham, Sammie Coates, Duke Williams, Ty Montgomery etc. in second round. 

The guy can still play. I wouldn't over pay him but he's absolutely worth a look. You can't have young players at every single position and Fitz would be good for the growth of a new offense and young locker room.

If you can get 2+ years out of him pull the trigger on the deal and draft a young kid.

For a $23.6MM cap hit, the Jets could sign a good OG, CB and LB.

Totally agree. The idzikiot apologists act like we have all this amazing cap room - meanwhile the moron left us with an expansion team roster. We need to sign 7-8 mid level free agents just to fill our holes and not go 4-12 or worse next season

He's just signed that ridiculous 7-year contract with the Cards last year.

He cannot become a FA until 2019.

He signed an 8 yr deal in 2011. Cards can release him in 2015 (and will unless a huge pay cut looms), and save 9.2mil in cap space. His cap charge is 23.6mil with dead money of 14.4. So yeah,

He's got an 8mil roster bonus and 8 mil salary. For a player who hasn't reached 1k yards since 2011, he'll be very lucky to see half of that in 2015.

So yeah, he'll be a FA unless he takes a paycut. Not a restructure, but a paycut. And he doesn't seem too keen on a paycut

Archived