Clean housecleaning, how long before Dec. games are meaningful?

SouthernJet

Coaches, GM. scouting dept.

How long y'all think we will be playing meaningful games in December?

Actually if I am not mistaken all of Rex's years  (except 2014) we had games in December where we were still in playoff contention.

Dont get me wrong, I am frustrated and want a long playoff run, but as a fan, I am also happy when in December, the team is still mathematically in contention and the Jet Bar is crowded and the fans rooting like hell. We backed in playoffs, but games were fun to watch. 

So I think we may have a game or 2 in December in 2015 that we may still be in contention...

What we were doing before wasn't working and people were not being held accountable. A feeling of hopelessness followed for some fans because of the Jets being in denial.

Now that the house has been flushed and new blood is coming in there is hope on the horizon and hopefully we will go in the right direction.

What we were doing before wasn't working and people were not being held accountable. A feeling of hopelessness followed for some fans because of the Jets being in denial.

Now that the house has been flushed and new blood is coming in there is hope on the horizon and hopefully we will go in the right direction.

agree... Lets hope we get it right this time.......... Some of the cigars can be Victory cigars for you ;)

Idzik set this team back years. That was after tanny set this team back a few years. We are def a few years a way.

But that doesn't mean we are screwed. Building a young hungry team is probably the best part of the process. We have a great dline and tons of cap room. Total housecleaning done. Accountability.

I think this upcoming year is a 6-10 type year, but the year after it we should head towards 8-8 or 9-7 with likely one of the youngest rosters in the league.

Idzik set this team back years. That was after tanny set this team back a few years. We are def a few years a way.

But that doesn't mean we are screwed. Building a young hungry team is probably the best part of the process. We have a great dline and tons of cap room. Total housecleaning done. Accountability.

I think this upcoming year is a 6-10 type year, but the year after it we should head towards 8-8 or 9-7 with likely one of the youngest rosters in the league.

hell, lets shoot for 9 Ws this year ;)

While I agree with all of this...  there is no reason we cant be 9-7  or 10-6.  A win against Bufalo, NE and a few others???

Basically average QB play and some real coaching and we are 9 and 7 this year.

Meaningful games? Like a real legitimate shot and not some outside chance of winning 8 or 9 games and barely squeaking into the playoffs?  2017.  Until they find a competent QB and a decen core around him this team will be crap.

2017 is about right, In 2012 I predicted 5 yrs of hell, hell if Woody had kept Iddy and Rex, the length of time would be infinite.

Bowles has a pass until he finds a real QB.  It is typical Jets Luck not to be able to procure a Luck. The QB play in college has been abysmal lately, partly due to many teams going to spread offense. Heck R Wilson prob would have suked with Jets as well. He was perfect fit in seattle, great defense and the beast at RB. he is not asked to win the game like a Luck is.

This team is not as bad as it's record was.

If Maccagnan plays his cards right in FA and the draft, the Jets can compete for a wildcard spot next season.

So I'd say next season December football could be meaningful.

for what? better off suking 1 more year to build team right way.  5-11 would be good for jets. One more solid draft get a good FA QB and start competing in 2016 and maybe do playoffs in 2017

for what? better off suking 1 more year to build team right way. 5-11 would be good for jets. One more solid draft get a good FA QB and start competing in 2016 and maybe do playoffs in 2017

I don't see how it's better for any team to suck. You don't need a bad record to have a good draft. The consensus best player on our team Mo Wilkerson was picked at 30.

2017 is about right, In 2012 I predicted 5 yrs of hell, hell if Woody had kept Iddy and Rex, the length of time would be infinite.

Bowles has a pass until he finds a real QB.  It is typical Jets Luck not to be able to procure a Luck. The QB play in college has been abysmal lately, partly due to many teams going to spread offense. Heck R Wilson prob would have suked with Jets as well. He was perfect fit in seattle, great defense and the beast at RB. he is not asked to win the game like a Luck is.

agree college QBs in spread  (which NFL defenses can stop) have hurt the immediate talent pool in NFL of 'ready to play' QBs

I don't see how it's better for any team to suck. You don't need a bad record to have a good draft. The consensus best player on our team Mo Wilkerson was picked at 30.

Ummm take a look at TV at 630pm and watch why it is good to Suck, rhymes with Luck. Jets will need 3 solid yrs of drafting before they can play in final 4.   And in these next 3 yrs, will need to find a very good QB. Not an average one.  the worst QB playing today is Wilson, who I would classify as good not very good. RW has the best defense and running game.  The other QBS playin are great ones.

Ummm take a look at TV at 630pm and watch why it is good to Suck, rhymes with Luck. Jets will need 3 solid yrs of drafting before they can play in final 4.   And in these next 3 yrs, will need to find a very good QB. Not an average one.  the worst QB playing today is Wilson, who I would classify as good not very good. RW has the best defense and running game.  The other QBS playin are great ones.

agree, wilson #4 of todays QBs, I dont see many disagreeing with that

Bleed Green Rich, I know you do.

Hope family well  :)

Hang in there man  :)

Why do Jets fans keep saying the Jets have one of the "youngest" teams in the league? Because it sounds good?

The Jets have the 13th youngest team in the league, and not one of the youngest.

Coaches, GM. scouting dept.

How long y'all think we will be playing meaningful games in December?

Actually if I am not mistaken all of Rex's years  (except 2014) we had games in December where we were still in playoff contention.

Dont get me wrong, I am frustrated and want a long playoff run, but as a fan, I am also happy when in December, the team is still mathematically in contention and the Jet Bar is crowded and the fans rooting like hell. We backed in playoffs, but games were fun to watch. 

So I think we may have a game or 2 in December in 2015 that we may still be in contention...

Realistically we didn't in 2013 either.  We got killed by the Dolphins on Dec 1st which truly ended any real hope.  Rex inherited a team that went 9-7 in '08 and went 9-7 in '09 because Indy laid down.  Certainly we made the best of it with a nice playoff run.

In 2012 we were 4-7 after 11 games, barely beat two cupcakes, the Cardinals and Jaguars, to get to 6-7 then lost to another cupcake to get eliminated.  So don't make it sund like it was Rex's great coaching that got us meaning late season games.

Why do Jets fans keep saying the Jets have one of the "youngest" teams in the league? Because it sounds good?

The Jets have the 13th youngest team in the league, and not one of the youngest.

Once Vick, CJ, Harris, Pace, Landry etc. are off the roster that ranking should be in the top 5. Pace(35 oct) and Harris(31) and Vick (35) and Landry(32). Those mid- 30 guys kill the average.

I think TX's point is that young guys can stink, too.

I didn't get that at all from reading his post. Seems pretty straight forward, considering the post he was responding to.

"Why do Jets fans keep saying the Jets have one of the "youngest" teams in the league? Because it sounds good?

The Jets have the 13th youngest team in the league, and not one of the youngest."          

Ummm take a look at TV at 630pm and watch why it is good to Suck, rhymes with Luck. Jets will need 3 solid yrs of drafting before they can play in final 4. And in these next 3 yrs, will need to find a very good QB. Not an average one. the worst QB playing today is Wilson, who I would classify as good not very good. RW has the best defense and running game. The other QBS playin are great ones.

And beyond Luck, who was a once in a generation kind of lock: Wilson - 3rd round. Rodgers - Pick #24. Brady - 6th round.

I do get that higher draft picks may mean a higher percentage when it comes to hitting on a pick, but my point is that if you draft right then it doesn't matter when you draft. So unless there's a Luck coming out in the next few years, which there isn't because we'd know about him like we knew about Luck for years, then it means nothing to suck if your plan is to be a bad team and grab a guy like him.

And beyond Luck, who was a once in a generation kind of lock: Wilson - 3rd round. Rodgers - Pick #24. Brady - 6th round.

I do get that higher draft picks may mean a higher percentage when it comes to hitting on a pick, but my point is that if you draft right then it doesn't matter when you draft. So unless there's a Luck coming out in the next few years, which there isn't because we'd know about him like we knew about Luck for years, then it means nothing to suck if your plan is to be a bad team and grab a guy like him.

Well if Jets had a real GM these past 10 yrs, jets would not be in this boat. A real GM with 12 picks could have put jets into contention by next yr.  maybe new GM has a clue, but there are no future QB stars in college right now. 2017 is realistic

By the way, I must give props to the NE organization for turning over that roster in the last few years. While I can't say they have done a great job drafting in those years where BB horded draft picks, they have done a good job these last couple of years.

Their guys "buy into" the system and it works out. Ninkovich, Collins and Jones have been nice pickups.

By the way, I must give props to the NE organization for turning over that roster in the last few years. While I can't say they have done a great job drafting in those years where BB horded draft picks, they have done a good job these last couple of years.

Their guys "buy into" the system and it works out. Ninkovich, Collins and Jones have been nice pickups.

The average NFL roster turnover each year is 31%.

You have to upgrade those 15-17 players every year if teams are to remain competitive.

The average NFL roster turnover each year is 31%.

You have to upgrade those 15-17 players every year if teams are to remain competitive.

yup, maybe Jets had that, but Rex seemed to hang on to guys he had 'history' with a year or 2 longer than warranted. Sometimes when its close between 2 players, u go w/youth to serve the future..

3 year minimum I would say. New crew has to un**** everything the old crew did. We have no quarteback. We have no offensive line. We have no defensive backfield. We have no special teams. We have no depth except defensive line. Rex Ryan and the puppets he pulled the strings on turned this team into the Omar Minaya Mets.

yup, maybe Jets had that, but Rex seemed to hang on to guys he had 'history' with a year or 2 longer than warranted. Sometimes when its close between 2 players, u go w/youth to serve the future..

This... while BB shows no loyalty. Gets something for guys while there still is production (Seymore, Mankins etc.)

Archived