The film room breaks down Marcus mariota vs Florida state

Persiussa

Jets fans feelings toward Mariotta reminds me of their feelings toward the back to back AFC championship games under Rex.

Everyone sticks their nose up and acts like they are better than Mariotta or back to back champ games but you're a Jets fan....so STFU. You're not above anything. If Mariotta is there you take him and pray.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets fans keep with the broken record harping on how bad the qb situation is. However we haven't had a good roster since 2010. 2011 roster was average and our rosters since then have been bad.

Passing on Cooper, Ray or Scherff and cutting Harvin when you already have over $50 million in cap room doesn't a good roster make.

Even if you were able to get all three Cooper, Ray and Scherff - and Harvin - spend the rest of your money...And you're still not winning anything without Geno or whatever Journeyman you're going to sign.

Keep taking QB's until you find one - and when you do you have 15 years to build a team around him.

What if you don't think Mariotta is going to be good?

btw.. the guy from the OP raves about Winston

That's a legitimate question - and that's for our GM to decide.  And I will admit I don't know a lot about him, only seen him play a couple of times.  

The reality is though, most experts believe he has legitimate franchise potential.  I'll take their word for the purposes of these discussion (I know they're not right all the time)

But Yes - if Mac, Bowles and Gaily don't think he's any good then you pass - but if they think there's even a chance he can be the answer then you have to take him.

The point I've been trying to make is that when it comes to QB there has to be more leeway on what you consider potential.  It's a basic Risk - Reward scenario...You can take a bigger chance on a QB (higher risk) because the Reward is much higher if you hit.

Yep. 100%. Keep taking them till one hits.

Coaching matters too. If the Jets took Tom Brady in the 6th round would he be Tom Brady the NY Jet?

We probably would have ruined him or traded him or most likely cut him, lol.

With the sixth pick in the draft, the Jets need someone that can start immediately. If Marriotta is not ready to start now then the Jets need to pick someone else...

What if Mariotta becomes a starter next season and has a HOF career? Still hold to this ridiculous logic?

Why?

As far as I can tell the Jets have too many deficiencies to waste picks... The Jets need players particuarly in the first three rounds that should be immediate contribnutors.  I do not think the Jets have the luxury of being able to bench a top ten pick hoping that he will be the man next year.  My opnion, I understand if you do not agree... 

What if Mariotta becomes a starter next season and has a HOF career? Still hold to this ridiculous logic?

I think it rediculous to pick someone with the 6th overall pick that is not ready to play NFL football this coming season.... As I said above, I do not think the Jets have the luxury of being able to bench such a high draft pick the Jets need players now...Devlopmental players in my opinion are for later rounds... 

That's a legitimate question - and that's for our GM to decide.  And I will admit I don't know a lot about him, only seen him play a couple of times.  

The reality is though, most experts believe he has legitimate franchise potential.  I'll take their word for the purposes of these discussion (I know they're not right all the time)

But Yes - if Mac, Bowles and Gaily don't think he's any good then you pass - but if they think there's even a chance he can be the answer then you have to take him.

The point I've been trying to make is that when it comes to QB there has to be more leeway on what you consider potential.  It's a basic Risk - Reward scenario...You can take a bigger chance on a QB (higher risk) because the Reward is much higher if you hit.

ehh.. most experts are morons though.

I do agree however that if you think the guys legit, you do it. I just don't, which is why I'm hoping he's long gone.  My issue with him is that he's going to be rushed into starting and from what i've seen he's nowhere near ready. 

The same people who want Mariota over Cooper, Ray or Scherff also insist on cutting harvin. Ironic considering Harvin is the one player the jets have that would actually help Mariota be successful.

I want Mariotta and have no problem keeping Harvin if he's the best offensive option we can get.  I'm all for spending money on the best FA's we can find.

My point is with all the offensive weapons in the world you're not winning without a QB.  

I want Mariotta and have no problem keeping Harvin if he's the best offensive option we can get. I'm all for spending money on the best FA's we can find.

My point is with all the offensive weapons in the world you're not winning without a QB.

I don't think mariota falls to 6 but if he does and we take him all these people better hope Harvin is on the roster next September or it's going to be a long season for Mariota. All those screens, tag passes and throws to the flats that mariota loves to do Harvin is good at executing that.

David Nelson isn't going to get the job done.

I think it rediculous to pick someone with the 6th overall pick that is not ready to play NFL football this coming season.... As I said above, I do not think the Jets have the luxury of being able to bench such a high draft pick the Jets need players now...Devlopmental players in my opinion are for later rounds...

Most rookie QB's suck year 1. It takes a year. The Jets suck and aren't getting to the Super Bowl anyway, so you can't wait 1 year for a QB to get ready? On this team? Haha. Ok.

What if they take a player who doesn't reach their potential till next season and doesn't really make an impact immediately (which happens a lot). Meanwhile, Mariota, sits, waits and becomes a stud?

Just really disagree with this logic.

Most rookie QB's suck year 1. It takes a year. The Jets suck and aren't getting to the Super Bowl anyway, so you can't wait 1 year for a QB to get ready? On this team? Haha. Ok.

What if they take a player who doesn't reach their potential till next season and doesn't really make an impact immediately (which happens a lot). Meanwhile, Mariota, sits, waits and becomes a stud?

Just really disagree with this logic.

Well at least we can agree that we disagree with each others logic.

Because I really disagree with the logic of picking a QB with the 6th pick overall that you know cannot play football at an NFL level this year, hoping he will be good next year. 

Look I am not a fan of Hiesman winning QBs because for the most part they end up being busts in the NFL... If I had to draft one I would want the one that played in a pro style offense in college, the problem is Mariota is the other one....

Well at least we can agree that we disagree with each others logic.

Because I really disagree with the logic of picking a QB with the 6th pick overall that you know cannot play football at an NFL level this year, hoping he will be good next year.

Look I am not a fan of Hiesman winning QBs because for the most part they end up being busts in the NFL... If I had to draft one I would want the one that played in a pro style offense in college, the problem is Mariota is the other one....

Very few rookie QBs are truly "ready" to start day 1. It happens because teams are desperate. The Jets are beyond desperate so he might even start though "he's not ready".

Not wanting to draft him because you don't think he will be good is very different than not drafting him because you're impatient.

Very few rookie QBs are truly "ready" to start day 1. It happens because teams are desperate. The Jets are beyond desperate so he might even start though "he's not ready".

Not wanting to draft him because you don't think he will be good is very different than not drafting him because you're impatient.

I do not want him for two reasons.... I want a player that can play in the NFL right now with the sixth pick, (I know that is illogical to you) and I do not think he will be that good....

But like I said, we can agree to disagree.

As far as I can tell the Jets have too many deficiencies to waste picks... The Jets need players particuarly in the first three rounds that should be immediate contribnutors.  I do not think the Jets have the luxury of being able to bench a top ten pick hoping that he will be the man next year.  My opnion, I understand if you do not agree...

Um, the Jets would be better off today if they took Bridgewater with their #1 pick last year instead of Pryor!

That's a fact jack!

I do not want him for two reasons.... I want a player that can play in the NFL right now with the sixth pick, (I know that is illogical to you) and I do not think he will be that good....

But like I said, we can agree to disagree.

Aaron Rogers wasn't ready to start right out of college!

Spock would say this is totally illogical!

Yeah. I'm kinda wondering this myself.

Newton shows flashes sometimes. Kaep sucks.

Kaep doesn't suck; success came to easy for hijm and then the league studied his game and caught up to him.  Now it is up to him to truly learn his craft; it all depends on his level of dedication.  

Um, the Jets would be better off today if they took Bridgewater with their #1 pick last year instead of Pryor!

That's a fact jack!

What does bridgewater have to do with mariota? I never hated on bridgewater and thought the criticism of him throwing without gloves was dumb.

The criticism of mariota never having to go through progressions in the Oregon offense are far more valid.

Kaep doesn't suck; success came to easy for hijm and then the league studied his game and caught up to him.  Now it is up to him to truly learn his craft; it all depends on his level of dedication.  

He sucks. 

The only way he turns it around is if he becomes a pocket passer and that's not happening. 

Aaron Rogers wasn't ready to start right out of college!

Spock would say this is totally illogical!

Aaron Rodgers was not the 6th pick in the draft.  He was the 24th.  If I am not mistaken he sat behind Farve, while I am not a fan at least he was a relatively comeptent starting QB.  GB at that time was a team with the luxury of being to draft a first round player late in the first round they did not need to start. 

He sucks.

The only way he turns it around is if he becomes a pocket passer and that's not happening.

Kaepernick is done. No more Harbaugh, Mangini is now the dc so he'll have to come from behind every game instead of protecting a lead and handing off to Gore, he has zero touch on his passes everything he throws us a fastball that's off-target.

That's a fact jack!

The Jets would have been better off if they had drafted Kelvin Benjamin instead of Pryor.... Ah the Beauty of hindsight.  I do not remember people on this board clammoring for Bridgewater at that pick.  Come on now....

Archived