Major Bidding Wars on the Horizon for Maccagnan, Jets?

JetNation

A ton of teams are looking for secondary help.  Are you willing to spend $20+M on Revis and McCourty?  Maxwell and McCourty?  Jackson and McCourty?  If you do, who is playing G? ILB?  WR2?  Even if you pass on the safety you are going to have to pay big for at least one CB.  I am betting Cro gets a fair raise this year.  Same for Flowers.

I'm not saying you avoid OL/ILB/WR in free agency. I'm just saying based on supply and demand if I have to spend big bucks I think its better spent on the secondary than on offensive skill  players.  I think our cap space gives us an advantage vs. other teams needing secondary help.  And yes, I think Macc is going to probably need to pay 20+ million for McCourty and a top tier CB like Maxwell or Jackson

I might be one of the few on this one and I don't mind admitting it, that not signing DRC last year for the contract that the Giants paid him was a smart move.

Not signing Cro on the other hand for that one year deal he got from the Cardinals made no sense whatsoever.

I know we have cap space and by rules we have to spend a majority of it BUT I would still not want the JETS to overpay players. They can still have quiet a few solid signings that will upgrade this team with players who fit the best in the system instead of chasing marquee FA's then overpaying them and then watching them not pan out.

Agreed on last year's CBs.  I didn't want DRC because he wanted too many years and Cro should have been brought back at  a price that wouldn't have killed them to cut him if he hadn't improved from the previous year.

Marquee guys are going to be tough to lure when several other teams can match your offer.  Other teams with tons of space have better records and/or QB situations.

I'm not saying you avoid OL/ILB/WR in free agency. I'm just saying based on supply and demand if I have to spend big bucks I think its better spent on the secondary than on offensive skill  players.  I think our cap space gives us an advantage vs. other teams needing secondary help.  And yes, I think Macc is going to probably need to pay 20+ million for McCourty and a top tier CB like Maxwell or Jackson

We don't have any advantage over the Eagles and I think Chip Kelly is going to offer boatloads of money to fix his secondary and rely on his offense to score points no matter who he has in there.

Hell, he might spend all of the $50 million on defense and trade a ton of picks to get Mariota to run his offense.

We don't have any advantage over the Eagles and I think Chip Kelly is going to offer boatloads of money to fix his secondary and rely on his offense to score points no matter who he has in there.

Hell, he might spend all of the $50 million on defense and trade a ton of picks to get Mariota to run his offense.

That is a good point.  The Eagles are our toughest competition to fixing our secondary

Well you will have to tell us what 'OVER pay' is.  We could have kept upping the anti for DRC until it became ridiculous, he was already over valued imo.

Also Revis was over paid. 

Agreed. But there are times when it's ok to Overpay, provided that the contract is cap friendly in future years. If we have 65 million in cap space this year and we give a guy worth 8 million and extra million or 2 for this year, then who really cares? I am opposed to destroying our cap in future years, but I rather spend an extra million on a stud CB/G than end up getting 5 or 6 average players that end up getting benched because they aren't very good. 

Isn't there a bit of a downside to a defensive player going to Philly?  Sort of the opposite of the Jets trying to lure offensive players the past few years.  If I am a defensive player I don't think I am going to look to Philly as a place on a 1-year deal to solidify my rep and get more later.  No matter how good you play, you are going to be on the field a ton and you are probably going to give up more gross numbers than guys on other teams.  Not a huge consideration, but one that probably does exist.  Nobody is going there thinking they are joining a great D.

Isn't there a bit of a downside to a defensive player going to Philly?  Sort of the opposite of the Jets trying to lure offensive players the past few years.  If I am a defensive player I don't think I am going to look to Philly as a place on a 1-year deal to solidify my rep and get more later.  No matter how good you play, you are going to be on the field a ton and you are probably going to give up more gross numbers than guys on other teams.  Not a huge consideration, but one that probably does exist.  Nobody is going there thinking they are joining a great D.

Agreed...which is why I think Chip will outspend others in trying to bring these guys in.  A defensive player would be crazy to go there if money were equal, but the Eagles have zero CB's right now and their safeties aren't very good.  Chip really has no choice but to back up the brinks truck to fix his defense.  On offense he's like Rex...thinks he can make it work no matter who he has out there and he might be right.  If Chip blows other offers out of the water the players will sign...I think.

FA is gonna' be fun this year.

A ton of teams are looking for secondary help.  Are you willing to spend $20+M on Revis and McCourty?  Maxwell and McCourty?  Jackson and McCourty?  If you do, who is playing G? ILB?  WR2?  Even if you pass on the safety you are going to have to pay big for at least one CB.  I am betting Cro gets a fair raise this year.  Same for Flowers.

Paying $20mm for DB's still leaves you with $30mm for G, ILB and WR..and plenty left to pay your guys.

Operative word is wisely. Which does mean not end up overpaying.

The thing is  ...What does overpaying mean?

This year what it's going to take to sign someone is going to much higher than past years due to the increased cap and how many teams with an abundance of money...You can pay someone well more than what guys are making at their level at their position and it won't be overpaying.  Simply be where the market is.

Agreed. But there are times when it's ok to Overpay, provided that the contract is cap friendly in future years. If we have 65 million in cap space this year and we give a guy worth 8 million and extra million or 2 for this year, then who really cares? I am opposed to destroying our cap in future years, but I rather spend an extra million on a stud CB/G than end up getting 5 or 6 average players that end up getting benched because they aren't very good. 

No argument from me here.  Regardless this forum will be in full high and low mode once fa hits.

When talking about not over spending just keep in mind, the Jets HAVE to spend 51 mil this year.  If the cut Harvin they HAVE to spend 61 mil.

If we miss out on the big FA's because other teams willing to over spend then we are in major trouble.  There is no way to spend 61 mil if you don't give out some 10 to 15 mil contracts.  

When talking about not over spending just keep in mind, the Jets HAVE to spend 51 mil this year.  If the cut Harvin they HAVE to spend 61 mil.

If we miss out on the big FA's because other teams willing to over spend then we are in major trouble.  There is no way to spend 61 mil if you don't give out some 10 to 15 mil contracts.  

They could kick that can down the road and heavily front-load any FA's they sign as well as extending Mo but I get what you're saying....gotta spend it somewhere.

Paying $20mm for DB's still leaves you with $30mm for G, ILB and WR..and plenty left to pay your guys.

It really doesn't.  Unless you want to start moving money around like Tannenbaum which probably is a bad idea in your first year with a sketchy QB situation.  $20M for McCourty and a top CB is pretty cheap.  It will probably be closer to $25M.  Still your G and ILB will probably cost better than $10M.  Now you have $20M.  WR could easily take half that.  Now you have $10M to pay your picks and make deals with Wilkerson and Harrison.  You are hoping that Milliner is healthy because otherwise you are still looking at starting Walls at CB and Pace and Babin at OLB.   The only QBs under contract are Smith and Simms and even a borderline incompetent level backup QB will cost $5M per.

There is a difference between cash spending and cap spending. 

It really doesn't.  Unless you want to start moving money around like Tannenbaum which probably is a bad idea in your first year with a sketchy QB situation.  $20M for McCourty and a top CB is pretty cheap.  It will probably be closer to $25M.  Still your G and ILB will probably cost better than $10M.  Now you have $20M.  WR could easily take half that.  Now you have $10M to pay your picks and make deals with Wilkerson and Harrison.  You are hoping that Milliner is healthy because otherwise you are still looking at starting Walls at CB and Pace and Babin at OLB.   The only QBs under contract are Smith and Simms and even a borderline incompetent level backup QB will cost $5M per.

That's all assuming you pay everyone top dollar and pay that year one.  They'll def. need to be creative but what you're describing there would a perfect free agency win.

Two top DB's, Top WR, Top G, quality ILB, paying Wilk and a journey QB

That's the best we could possibly ask for - and it's certainly feasible.  The likelihood of pulling all of that off is going to be very difficult.  

You may only get one top flight DB...or mid level guard...or mid-level WR...

The thing is  ...What does overpaying mean?

This year what it's going to take to sign someone is going to much higher than past years due to the increased cap and how many teams with an abundance of money...You can pay someone well more than what guys are making at their level at their position and it won't be overpaying.  Simply be where the market is.

You cannot generalize what overpaying means. It's contract specific for a given player. You know whether the team overpaid or not once you hear what the contract is.

Most people knew Santonio Holmes was overpaid by the JETS when it happened, and that Sanchez's extension was unnecessary and a whole lot more money than he deserved.

Operative word is wisely. Which does mean not end up overpaying.

When just about everyone has money, overpaying will be required for players you covet.  Idzik was bashed here for refusing to pay a cent above what he felt a player was worth.  We won't be able to do that over the next 2 offseasons.

You cannot generalize what overpaying means. It's contract specific for a given player. You know whether the team overpaid or not once you hear what the contract is.

Most people knew Santonio Holmes was overpaid by the JETS when it happened, and that Sanchez's extension was unnecessary and a whole lot more money than he deserved.

So the standard for overpaying fluctuates depending on the market and the player in question.  Thanks for explaining that one for us.

Let's say our front office deems that Iupati is the best guard available and is a good fit for our team.  And let's also assume his play next year matches his actual market value.  We swoop in and pay him $2M more per season than anyone else is willing to offer.  Would that be a poor decision?

Idzik 

I'm all for smart spending, but at least Maccags probably won't throw in the towel like Idzik at the first sign of things getting a little pricey.

Idzik kept thinking the market was going to come to him by being patient.  It never did.  Bad instincts...

Archived