Runningbacks

Smo0v3mik3

Probably not a bad idea to draft a fast RB who has good hands. We can then let him learn under Powel how to Pass block and such and Powel can then get 2nd string RB time in the game like he has earned. But, if they get a FA like Spiller or someone else so be it. It will just be more expensive.

I think they know we need one. They were involved in both Vereen and Helu.

Love Ivory but you have to limit his touches or he'll get hurt, runs too violently. Powell is a replacement level player.

I really think they try to get Gordon, whether that means trading up into the end of the 1st round or just hoping he falls to us in the 2nd

Sounds too perfect to be true.  

Idzik special!

Pass

I probably agree.  Still, his numbers were not bad last year.  4.7 ypc on a team with a 3.9 average.  6 receiving TDs.  He is good or hurt and won't get the kind of contract that forces the team to keep him if a pick, UDFA or Richardson (Darryl, not Trent) beats him out in camp.  He got under $1M last year and can't expect more now.  If they don't sign him, he is probably a good guy to have on the radar in case of emergency during the preseason/season.

we need speed

Exactly...haven't had a real home run threat at RB since Leon Washington.  I never understand that BTW.  It's like this franchise hates the thought of a fast RB.  Drove me nuts when we had Thomas Jones and Shonn Greene.  They were good players, but with the holes that offensive line used to open, a faster back would have been a nice addition.. 

Exactly...haven't had a real home run threat at RB since Leon Washington.  I never understand that BTW.  It's like this franchise hates the thought of a fast RB.  Drove me nuts when we had Thomas Jones and Shonn Greene.  They were good players, but with the holes that offensive line used to open, a faster back would have been a nice addition.. 

In 2004 Cumars longest run was 25 yds and I don't remember anyone complaining and he was no speed demon.. TJ has the Jet record for rushing yards in a regular season plus td's..And Greene played great in the playoffs and had some long runs for td's..

Um.... they just cut the fastest RB in history.  He was not very good, but he certainly was fast.  FWIW, I think that Idzik put a premium on speed. 

They don't hate the idea of a fast RB, it's just that fast RB's seem to rarely stay healthy.  The ones who do get paid tons of money.  It's also harder to find 3rd down RB's than you think.  They need speed, hands, AND need to have the ability to pass block. 

Ask the Broncos what happens when you have RB's who can't block.  One of your top playmakers (Julius Thomas) is forced to stay in to block, leaving Demaryius Thomas blanketed in coverage.  Peyton's bum calf wasn't the only reason their offense took a downturn last year.

In 2004 Cumars longest run was 25 yds and I don't remember anyone complaining and he was no speed demon.. TJ has the Jet record for rushing yards in a regular season plus td's..And Greene played great in the playoffs and had some long runs for td's..

Right...that's why I said they were good backs....but the number of times I saw either of those guys get caught from behind was a lot higher than you'd like.  I'm talking about the fact that they rarely drafted or never traded for a faster RB.

I liked Curtis, but I complained about it back then too.  In his first few seasons, Lamont Jordan was faster than Curtis and rarely got a carry.  Martin went so far as to say "There are things he can do that I can't" but Herm just kept running Cumar with bad ankles and all.  LJ got one carry against the Raiders in Oakland, busted a 49 or 51 (I forget) yd touchdown and I don't think he touched the ball again that day.

They don't hate the idea of a fast RB, it's just that fast RB's seem to rarely stay healthy.  The ones who do get paid tons of money.  It's also harder to find 3rd down RB's than you think.  They need speed, hands, AND need to have the ability to pass block. 

Ask the Broncos what happens when you have RB's who can't block.  One of your top playmakers (Julius Thomas) is forced to stay in to block, leaving Demaryius Thomas blanketed in coverage.  Peyton's bum calf wasn't the only reason their offense took a downturn last year.

Right, but my point is that there rarely ever seemed to be an effort to bring one in.  Late round pick or trade a mid-rounder for somebody who can take it the distance.  There are some guys who could make huge plays behind a line like the one they had.  The Eagles picked up Darren Sproles for a 4th rounder...that's the kind of player I'm referring to.  The past is the past but as I said, that was something that always drove me nuts.

Right, but my point is that there rarely ever seemed to be an effort to bring one in.  Late round pick or trade a mid-rounder for somebody who can take it the distance.  There are some guys who could make huge plays behind a line like the one they had.  The Eagles picked up Darren Sproles for a 4th rounder...that's the kind of player I'm referring to.  The past is the past but as I said, that was something that always drove me nuts.

Outside of 1 or 2 games last year Sproles was awful.  Granted, so was Shady, meaning it was likely an OL thing.  I think drafting RB's in the mid-rounds is a sound strategy.  RB is a plug n play position so there should be little need to sign or trade for veteran RB's.  Nor is investing early rounders on RB's typically wise either.  Just look what happened to Trent Richardson and Doug Martin. 

And even the teams who have great RB's don't tend to win at the highest level.  All the Super Bowl winners in the last decade outside of the Marshawn Lynch-led Seahawks tend to go Running Back by committee.  It's just a matter of drafting the RIGHT guys with those mid-round picks, and avoiding giving a bum like Shonn Greene a "1st round grade".

Granted, I've advocated for signing Spiller, but only if the price is right.  It's just not a position you need to invest heavily on.  The shelf life is just so short for RB's, and the risks so high.

Um.... they just cut the fastest RB in history.  He was not very good, but he certainly was fast.  FWIW, I think that Idzik put a premium on speed. 

Right, but what I was talking about was running backs who are fast and good....not just a track star.

Outside of 1 or 2 games last year Sproles was awful.  Granted, so was Shady, meaning it was likely an OL thing.  I think drafting RB's in the mid-rounds is a sound strategy.  RB is a plug n play position so there should be little need to sign or trade for veteran RB's.  Nor is investing early rounders on RB's typically wise either.  Just look what happened to Trent Richardson and Doug Martin. 

And even the teams who have great RB's don't tend to win at the highest level.  All the Super Bowl winners in the last decade outside of the Marshawn Lynch-led Seahawks tend to go Running Back by committee.  It's just a matter of drafting the RIGHT guys with those mid-round picks, and avoiding giving a bum like Shonn Greene a "1st round grade".

Granted, I've advocated for signing Spiller, but only if the price is right.  It's just not a position you need to invest heavily on.  The shelf life is just so short for RB's, and the risks so high.

I was only referring to skill set and what he's capable of.

I get all of what you're saying and don't disagree.  My only point is that I would often wonder why the Jets would go years at a time without trying to get a game-breaker. 

I was only referring to skill set and what he's capable of.

I get all of what you're saying and don't disagree.  My only point is that I would often wonder why the Jets would go years at a time without trying to get a game-breaker. 

And my argument would be the old regimes had been trying.  Does Leon Washington not qualify?   Tomlinson?  McKnight sucked but he was a USC running back, was that not an attempt?  You don't generally find game breakers in the 3rd-5th rounds.  Who have we been missing out on?

And my argument would be the old regimes had been trying.  Does Leon Washington not qualify?   Tomlinson?  McKnight sucked but he was a USC running back, was that not an attempt?  You don't generally find game breakers in the 3rd-5th rounds.  Who have we been missing out on?

You can call it an argument, I'll go with conversation.  I named Washington as the last one they had so yes, I would say he quailifies.  Tomlinson wasn't the same player with the Jets that he was with San Diego but he was still damn good.  McKnight was an attempt but they never gave him a shot.  He had one career game with 20+ carries and he ran for 158 yards.  Never featured him again.

Archived