Cooper vs. Kyler Fuller/virginia tech defense

SonnyJet

This what worries me about cooper. When pressed by a talented corner, he doesn't get much separation. If you expect Cooper to win 50/50 balls you're going to be disappointed. Cooper is a slot receiver and would be a mistake to pick him up in the slot. People think that his production against sec defenses automatically makes his game translate as a #1 WR. SEC defenses are honestly not as good as before.

This what worries me about cooper. When pressed by a talented corner, he doesn't get much separation. If you expect Cooper to win 50/50 balls you're going to be disappointed. Cooper is a slot receiver and would be a mistake to pick him up in the slot. People think that his production against sec defenses automatically makes his game translate as a #1 WR. SEC defenses are honestly not as good as before.

You do know this was 1st game of the  yr right

I like Cooper more as a fit on a team with Marshall and Decker than I did with Harvin and Decker. The concerns are fair but I think he could step right in on this offense and get open given he wouldn't be the focal point for defenses. Though I'd feel a lot better about the situation if he had a quality quarterback to throw him the ball (Fitzpatrick should be decent at least if he's the guy).

Still like White as well. I definitely get the desire to kind of fill that last big need on defense with a pass rusher, but it'd be nice to have an elite group of pass catchers to potentially carry the offense. They're going to blitz a lot anyway and the defense will almost definitely be better than the offense. A foundation back would be nice too.

I don't know if that is really damning on Cooper though, because it looks to me that it's more damning on McCarron.  

1.  The Virginia Tech has a very good pass defense, and what they seemed to have done here is challenge McCarron to make NFL throws, something I don't think he's capable of doing.  If you watch their pre-snap positions, they have the CB playing inside of Cooper on most plays trying to take away the inside route, and have a safety over the top (as we see in the missed TD catch) to prevent down the field plays.  An NFL QB could take this and make the outside throw from the far hash mark with good arm and velocity, every time, but McCarron can't (and we see this on an outside route where he throws it at Cooper's feet).  This limits the ability of Cooper because the defender has an early step on the inside route, so harder to get separation.  And by position, the defender has the inside route on a deep pass, and the safety has the over the top route.  So the only passes they can try are the ones like the missed TD (lob it over the CB, but before the safety can get there) or the pass which lands at his feet where you run a deep out route.   

2.  He didn't seem to have that much of a problem with separation, there were plays there were he had separation from the CB.  Not as much as the usual you see from him, but it wasn't like he was blanketed all over the field.  

3.  This was the start of his sophomore year, so I think he has gotten better at route running and setting defenders up with moves from then.   

you sure?

bama-catch-12-1-121.gif

What is the point, other than the one on top of your head?

I think the Jets first pick comes down to three players. DE Randy Gregory, QB Marcus Mariota or CB Trae Waynes. Got to take Mariota if he is there for sure. Big Mac and Bowles know you have to have a franchise QB to win in the NFL and while Mariota is a "project" of sorts they don't have to win right now. They can let Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno battle it out for the job next season with Mariota taking over in 2016. If he is gone and Gregory is gone they will take Waynes. 

I think the Jets first pick comes down to three players. DE Randy Gregory, QB Marcus Mariota or CB Trae Waynes. Got to take Mariota if he is there for sure. Big Mac and Bowles know you have to have a franchise QB to win in the NFL and while Mariota is a "project" of sorts they don't have to win right now. They can let Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno battle it out for the job next season with Mariota taking over in 2016. If he is gone and Gregory is gone they will take Waynes. 

I don't think we will take a CB at 6 when we have a bigger need at QB, OL and LB/DE.   

the 2014-2015 season just passed...last season was 2013-2014

it was posted in may of 2014 so it was referencing a game the prior year I would imagine.

the point is the kid was what, 19 years old at the time ?

Archived