Wilkerson not present for OTAs

DaBallhawk

No panic whatsoever.

He's a Jet for the next 2 years. 1 year left & we can franchise him at a decent price.

Mos biggest problem is that he disappeared last year while playing alongside Richardson who is now considered top 5 in NFL circles.

When you get to play next to Pro bowler you better bring it every game.

Best draft ever for us would be Leonard dropping to 6, then Jets make a trade with San Diego for Rivers with Wilkerson being part of the trade!

How would you like those apples?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should probably wait until he holds out for a new contract before getting all worked up, I have a feeling his agent told him not to show up for the voluntary stuff because he doesn't want Wilk to get hurt before they get a chance to negotiate a new contract. This is really not a big deal right now, it might become a big thing down the road but right now its not a big thing.

It's not a big deal in the sense of working out & stretching along side his teammates.

It is a big deal in that it shows bad leadership (Mangold, Harris, Brick never not attended due to contracts), disrespect to the new GM & CS, already has a $6M salary increase due to him while Rontez Miles' & Dalton Freeman's of the roster sweat it out to just make the roster.

Mo is doing nothing wrong, but he's also not going about it the right way either. This stance invites the term expendable.

It's not a big deal in the sense of working out & stretching along side his teammates.

It is a big deal in that it shows bad leadership (Mangold, Harris, Brick never not attended due to contracts), disrespect to the new GM & CS, already has a $6M salary increase due to him while Rontez Miles' & Dalton Freeman's of the roster sweat it out to just make the roster.

Mo is doing nothing wrong, but he's also not going about it the right way either. This stance invites the term expendable.

I remember the year Revis left and we lacked leadership on the D. We lacked that face of the franchise. I remember Wilk saying he was going to step up and be a leader with class. He then had a great 2013 season. 2014 was pretty average and since then I haven't seen that "leader" he was claiming to be. Not bashing him... But that's not how leader goes about it. Is he wrong? Nope.. But that's just not the way you demonstrate contract frustration to your teammates. He has one year left.. He really shouldn't be doing this in my honest opinion though. If he was going to react in this manner.. It should of waited until next off season when he absolutely has a reason too.

Now why in the hell would teams with new head coaches get extra OTAs if the coach could not attend?? Duh

Of course the coach can be there.

The coach can be at the facility, he can not be on the field or in the lockerroom or weight room.  He can have a voluntary team meeting, but no training films or such can be presented or schemes explained. 

The extra time is just meet and greet.  Later on during the spring, the NFL allows team with new HC to have an extra mini-camp where his participation is not limited

I remember the year Revis left and we lacked leadership on the D. We lacked that face of the franchise. I remember Wilk saying he was going to step up and be a leader with class. He then had a great 2013 season. 2014 was pretty average and since then I haven't seen that "leader" he was claiming to be. Not bashing him... But that's not how leader goes about it. Is he wrong? Nope.. But that's just not the way you demonstrate contract frustration to your teammates. He has one year left.. He really shouldn't be doing this in my honest opinion though. If he was going to react in this manner.. It should of waited until next off season when he absolutely has a reason too.

Next offseason?  He'll be a free agent. WTF is he going to skip then?  OTAs for a team he isn't on? 

For the record, his agent never mentioned the contract.  Right or wrong:

"Muhammad has been engaged in a workout program with his personal trainer since February, and believes that continuing with his current program will put him in the best physical shape for the 2015 season." Wilkerson's rep isn't fooling anybody — his absence is about money — but it's a sign he'll remain civil during extension talks. It will be bigger news if Wilkerson skips June's mandatory minicamp. Apr 6 - 2:21 PM

Next offseason? He'll be a free agent. WTF is he going to skip then? OTAs for a team he isn't on?

For the record, his agent never mentioned the contract. Right or wrong:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6464/muhammad-wilkerson

Forgive me, I thought his contract ended after next year. In any case, franchise tag him and finish a deal. My point is there is time to get something done. A good bit of time. I just think him and his agent are jumping the gun and its not a good look for a leader.

Wilkenson has little leverage this year, a hold out will cost him money, the league tightened up the fines and pretty much took it out of the teams hands. Next year he can hold out the first 8 games and get credit for the full year if they attempt to tag him.  These new rule now punish the team for not working on a long term deal as the tag was originally designed for.  Once the player is tagged, all 15 mill will hit the cap, regardless of whether the player is holding out. So if he holds out the first 8 games the jets have that money tied up as if he was on the roster, while he is at home. They will get a credit for it in 2017 but that will hinder them when they try to compete in 2016 

Next offseason? He'll be a free agent. WTF is he going to skip then? OTAs for a team he isn't on?

For the record, his agent never mentioned the contract. Right or wrong:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6464/muhammad-wilkerson

And I seen where his agent made that statement. Think there was a thread on it.. But do you really think his agent would fabricate the situation with that excuse.. Or do you really think that's what's going on here. Has he been to OTA's any other year?

Forgive me, I thought his contract ended after next year. In any case, franchise tag him and finish a deal. My point is there is time to get something done. A good bit of time. I just think him and his agent are jumping the gun and its not a good look for a leader.

Yes.  There is time.  Look at it from Wilkerson's perspective.  He was told that they would take care of him last year.  New guys come on board and do a hard reset.  It's the same owner.  Why should he have to start over AND wait until after the draft?  This is a minor statement - saying don't forget me.  This bullsh*t team building crap is baloney for the most part anyway.  If he comes in out of shape and pulls a hamstring, you might have a point.  Otherwise, it is a non-story.  Equating this to a hold out is a pretty huge step.

Yes. There is time. Look at it from Wilkerson's perspective. He was told that they would take care of him last year. New guys come on board and do a hard reset. It's the same owner. Why should he have to start over AND wait until after the draft? This is a minor statement - saying don't forget me. This bullsh*t team building crap is baloney for the most part anyway. If he comes in out of shape and pulls a hamstring, you might have a point. Otherwise, it is a non-story. Equating this to a hold out is a pretty huge step.

I can agree with that.

Yes.  There is time.  Look at it from Wilkerson's perspective.  He was told that they would take care of him last year.  New guys come on board and do a hard reset.  It's the same owner.  Why should he have to start over AND wait until after the draft?  This is a minor statement - saying don't forget me.  This bullsh*t team building crap is baloney for the most part anyway.  If he comes in out of shape and pulls a hamstring, you might have a point.  Otherwise, it is a non-story.  Equating this to a hold out is a pretty huge step.

Maybe it's just me but Mo showing up would mean more to me as a new HC and GM then not showing even though it wasn't mandatory.. I just don't think it's a great way to start off with the new regime.

Maybe it's just me but Mo showing up would mean more to me as a new HC and GM then not showing even though it wasn't mandatory.. I just don't think it's a great way to start off with the new regime.

It isn't.  It also is a way to express displeasure that his new deal is taking a backseat to signing 30 year old rejects for every roster position.  He wasn't a priority last offseason.  He wasn't a priority during the season.  Now he isn't a priority again.  Sorry if I am not being a team leader, but usually team leaders are not on one year deals.

More important:  Long term Wilkerson or signing Colon, Brewer, Hilliard, Bowen, Ijalana and Kellen Davis? 

It isn't.  It also is a way to express displeasure that his new deal is taking a backseat to signing 30 year old rejects for every roster position.  He wasn't a priority last offseason.  He wasn't a priority during the season.  Now he isn't a priority again.  Sorry if I am not being a team leader, but usually team leaders are not on one year deals.

More important:  Long term Wilkerson or signing Colon, Brewer, Hilliard, Bowen, Ijalana and Kellen Davis? 

I go by what facts I know and at this point I don't know how much Mo and his agent are asking for do you?? BTW I must have missed Mo as a team leader.. It's easy to say your a leader it's allot harder to do unless not showing up for the OTA says; Look I'm a team leader and it's all about me??

I go by what facts I know and at this point I don't know how much Mo and his agent are asking for do you?? BTW I must have missed Mo as a team leader.. It's easy to say your a leader it's allot harder to do unless not showing up for the OTA says; Look I'm a team leader and it's all about me??

My point is that if they want him to be a team leader they would give him a contract.  Team leaders do not generally play out their deals.  Even washed up ones like Polamalu.  I don't think he is acting like a team leader.  OTOH, if the team wanted him to be a leader they would not be telling him to wait until after the draft to work out his deal because they need to see 1. how much money is left and 2. if they find any other good DEs (like Richardson.)

My point is that if they want him to be a team leader they would give him a contract.  Team leaders do not generally play out their deals.  Even washed up ones like Polamalu.  I don't think he is acting like a team leader.  OTOH, if the team wanted him to be a leader they would not be telling him to wait until after the draft to work out his deal because they need to see 1. how much money is left and 2. if they find any other good DEs (like Richardson.)

Or like some have said maybe if the right deal comes up during the draft he could be a trade package in a deal for Rivers or some other scenario.. I like Mo he's a good to very good player but he's not as great as some fans make him out to be.. Another Temple college grad we got in the 6th rd years ago was a great player..

Or like some have said maybe if the right deal comes up during the draft he could be a trade package in a deal for Rivers or some other scenario.. I like Mo he's a good to very good player but he's not as great as some fans make him out to be.. Another Temple college grad we got in the 6th rd years ago was a great player..

All of that is fine, but why the **** should he sacrifice to be a "team leader" if they are looking to ship him off in a trade?  

All of that is fine, but why the **** should he sacrifice to be a "team leader" if they are looking to ship him off in a trade?  

I never looked at Mo as a team leader and Bowles  has never even met him so why would they be looking at him as a team leader?? Harris and Davis are better leaders then Mo IMO.. 

I never looked at Mo as a team leader and Bowles  has never even met him so why would they be looking at him as a team leader?? Harris and Davis are better leaders then Mo IMO.. 

Dude, what the **** are we talking about?  He is missing an optional activity.  The importance is apparently that he is supposed to be a team leader!  So: How dare he?!?!  He wants his money.  They are lucky this is all he is doing instead of yapping to the press. IMO it is a middle of the road approach.  Not burning bridges, but showing impatience with their delaying the process.

Dude, what the **** are we talking about?  He is missing an optional activity.  The importance is apparently that he is supposed to be a team leader!  So: How dare he?!?!  He wants his money.  They are lucky this is all he is doing instead of yapping to the press. IMO it is a middle of the road approach.  Not burning bridges, but showing impatience with their delaying the process.

That's coming next especially with the NY media smelling blood in the water.. :animal0029:

The coach can be at the facility, he can not be on the field or in the lockerroom or weight room.  He can have a voluntary team meeting, but no training films or such can be presented or schemes explained. 

The extra time is just meet and greet.  Later on during the spring, the NFL allows team with new HC to have an extra mini-camp where his participation is not limited

please link where you have seen this as I have looked and can't find anything.    That and it makes no sense whats so ever.

I'm sure Mos agent is using these other guys (Suh), (Quinn), guys that are PRO BOWL PLAYERS.

Where does MO rank overall in the NFL?

Does anyone have one of those ranking lists? Jets fans always over value our own players. Revis is the only player that was THE BEST.

I'm telling you guys right now that the Jets brass have already had discussions about what to do with Mo. If his agent is overvalueing him, the Jets will have to trade him because signing Sheldon down the road is MORE IMPORTANT, Shel is the better player.

I'm sure Mos agent is using these other guys (Suh), (Quinn), guys that are PRO BOWL PLAYERS.

Does anyone have one of those ranking lists? Jets fans always over value our own players. Revis is the only player that was THE BEST.

I'm telling you guys right now that the Jets brass have already had discussions about what to do with Mo. If his agent is overvalueing him, the Jets will have to trade him because signing Sheldon down the road is MORE IMPORTANT, Shel is the better player.

We have a Bingo.. :winking0001:

The man deserves to get paid.  I don't expect it but wouldn't be surprised if he is a holdout.  

He still has a year on his current contract so a 'holdout' would NOT be in his own best interest. Mac has reached out to him already and assured him his extension would be looked at after the draft. He is within his rights to not report but he is STILL under contract and not a free agent as Harris was.

• It's voluntary, no biggie if he doesn't show up.

• Richardson is a really good player, with maybe more upside, but Wilkerson is the better player at this time.

• Coples is not a good football player at all, certainly not a replacement for Wilkerson.

• LOL at this guy who keeps sucking off Mike Glennon. Come on guy, we can't take you seriously.

please link where you have seen this as I have looked and can't find anything.    That and it makes no sense whats so ever.

cut and paste below. The first two Weeks the players can only be at the facility for 90 mins per day and only strength and conditioning coaches can be with the players. The players can be at the facility longer if they undergo treatment.  I don't have a link to the rule book, it was mentioned on the nfl network yesterday.  Film work can start during the 2nd rd of OTAs when all teams can begin film work. And why does't it make sense?  By having film work you are pretty much putting all the players who do not attend these voluntary workouts at a disadvantage which makes them almost mandatory and the union does not want that. 

Organized team activities, commonly abbreviated as OTAs, are exactly what they sound like--an organized training program to help prepare the team for the coming season. The parameters for these practices are defined very specifically in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and teams are required to film all practices during this timeframe and will face stiff penalties if they violate the rules.

These are not padded practices and no contact beyond what would be considered incidental is permitted. The amount of time players can be required to be at the facility and the amount of time the team is permitted to work on the practice field each day is carefully regulated per the current CBA.

There are three phases to OTAs. The Falcons began the first phase today, which will last for two weeks and emphasizes strength and conditioning. Only strength and conditioning coaches are permitted on the field during this phase, and players can spend 90 minutes maximum on the field.

Phase two will last for three weeks, and will see the team expand the types of drills they can do. No helmets are permitted, and no one-on-one drills and no drills pitting the offense against the defense are allowed during this phase.

Phase three will expand the time the team can request players to be at the facility to six hours per day. The kinds of drills the players can participate in is expanded to include 7 on 7, 9 on 7, and 11 on 11 drills, but no live contact is permitted, and these are not padded practices. Teams can have 10 total OTA practices in the first three weeks of phase three, and the fourth week of this phase is reserved for minicamp, which has its own rules, and we'll address those closer to minicamp.

And this assumes that Sheldon wants to re-sign with the jets. What if the jets suck for two more years will he want to move on? What if he doesn't like the new scheme or staff?  It is not like basketball where the home team can pay him 20% more than the other teams.

And a new GM that Wilk don't know from a hole in the wall or his agent ever had experiences working with, your asking the player to trust him. The new GM saying they will talk after the draft means squat, the talk could be "ok 5 years 35 mill" all right we talked and the team kicks it down the road a year.  

He sees Snacks going into his walk year without a contract and the team have 64mill in cap room. Next year the team won't have that space and what should make him feel that the team just won't tag him next year and let him play like Snacks in his walk year. What if snacks busts out and plays like Wilfork of 2011, will the jets let him walk or pay him 10mill yearly long term  along with 15 mill for the tag and Sheldon due the next year.

And no, I am not looking at it as a patriot fan, Review any of the offseason threads from 2 months back and the general consensus was a contract for Wilk as part of the FA process. 

And this assumes that Sheldon wants to re-sign with the jets. What if the jets suck for two more years will he want to move on? What if he doesn't like the new scheme or staff?  It is not like basketball where the home team can pay him 20% more than the other teams.

And a new GM that Wilk don't know from a hole in the wall or his agent ever had experiences working with, your asking the player to trust him. The new GM saying they will talk after the draft means squat, the talk could be "ok 5 years 35 mill" all right we talked and the team kicks it down the road a year.  

He sees Snacks going into his walk year without a contract and the team have 64mill in cap room. Next year the team won't have that space and what should make him feel that the team just won't tag him next year and let him play like Snacks in his walk year. What if snacks busts out and plays like Wilfork of 2011, will the jets let him walk or pay him 10mill yearly long term  along with 15 mill for the tag and Sheldon due the next year.

And no, I am not looking at it as a patriot fan, Review any of the offseason threads from 2 months back and the general consensus was a contract for Wilk as part of the FA process.

He's still under contract for a year & can be franchised. Why would u reup if the price isn't right & I guarantee u that his agents starting price is somewhere in between Suh & Quinn!

Where do u think agents get their #s from? They don't pull them out of the sky. No Jet fan on here is saying that Mo is not a very good player, we're just saying he's not GREAT, he's not a GAME CHANGER. Where was he the last 6 games of the year? That would be my question to his agent.

Plus he has the luxury now of playing next to Sheldon. When Mo got hurt, Sheldon still SHOWED UP EVERY GAME! You knew he was playing his azz off!

Oh & to another poster saying if Mo isn't that good why do u think u could trade him for Rivers, lol, we're not STUPID!

Jets would have to trade Mo & give up next years 1st for Rivers, that would be the freaking starting point!

Chargers ain't trading their franchise QB for Mo Wilkerson & his 4 sacks or whatever he had.

I understand that he can be tagged in 2016 for 15mill. And do you understand that he only has to play the last 6 games of the 2016 year and then his hit is over 18mill in 2017

when Sheldon is also due. So that means that in 2017 you will have 3 def players all making 18 mill.

I don't think his demands will be anywhere near quinn's or Suh's. I expect he will be looking at 5 years and 55-60mill with 1/2 up front. The jets do not want to go into next off season With Coples at a 8 mill 5th year option, with Snacks and Wilkenson as a FA. I don't understand the jets thought process this last offseason, both Snacks and Wilkenson could have been signed long term with that 64 mill.

we're just saying he's not GREAT, he's not a GAME CHANGER. 

We're not all saying that.

I understand that he can be tagged in 2016 for 15mill. And do you understand that he only has to play the last 6 games of the 2016 year and then his hit is over 18mill in 2017

when Sheldon is also due. So that means that in 2017 you will have 3 def players all making 18 mill.

I don't think his demands will be anywhere near quinn's or Suh's. I expect he will be looking at 5 years and 55-60mill with 1/2 up front. The jets do not want to go into next off season With Coples at a 8 mill 5th year option, with Snacks and Wilkenson as a FA. I don't understand the jets thought process this last offseason, both Snacks and Wilkenson could have been signed long term with that 64 mill.

I think they are fully expecting to deal with Snacks and Wilkerson after the draft.  I don't think Wilkerson failing to show up for OTA's is a surprise.  I think they still have plenty of money to monkey around with.  Particularly when you consider how these deals will be structured.

Archived