Calling it now

jgb

Im not a geno acolyte, but the willingfuly ignorant remark stands. In all your diatribe replies, you've yet to actually address the point I made; that management won't risk the rise of Geno in December. If Smith faceplants in training camp/preseason - then of course. All bets are off.... But if it's anywhere near close, there is no chance fitz starts. The New York Jets want to move into 2016 with no questions about what they got or need at QB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will address that point: new coaching staff has no investment in Geno and wants to win. Next question. But please continue with your personal attacks, they do well to cement your credibility around here.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

your detailed refutation and analysis has made me see the error of my opinion! you geno hopers are hilarious

Who is a "Geno hoper?"

There are just people making a logical case for starting Geno over Fitz. Neither is a particularly exciting option but Geno is at least still a little bit of a question mark. 

Who is a "Geno hoper?"

There are just people making a logical case for starting Geno over Fitz. Neither is a particularly exciting option but Geno is at least still a little bit of a question mark. 

Yes it is unclear if he is terrible, or historically so. That question does remain open. I don't care to discover the answer.

Who is a "Geno hoper?"

ya I think some folks are to point where it would take a rarely seen monumental 'light going on' to occur in a guy that never has been able to consume playbook to point he knew where his backup WRs were..

Hey for Jets sake, I hope he improves, but I've seen zip, other than less than pressure filled run out clock games in Dec. when eliminated 1/2 way decent performances.

for jets sake, lets hope, it wouldl mean depth at qb position, something we currently dont have,

Yes it is unclear if he is terrible, or historically so. That question does remain open. I don't care to discover the answer.

ya I think some folks are to point where it would take a rarely seen monumental 'light going on' to occur in a guy that never has been able to consume playbook to point he knew where his backup WRs were..

Hey for Jets sake, I hope he improves, but I've seen zip, other than less than pressure filled run out clock games in Dec. when eliminated 1/2 way decent performances.

for jets sake, lets hope, it wouldl mean depth at qb position, something we currently dont have,

We certainly saw the light coming on in week 17. Guy played as well as any Jet QB has at any point in the past 15 years that day. Had a perfect passer rating. 

Now, obviously it was only one game and doesn't buy him anything. But to say the kid hasn't shown anything is just factually not true. Hoping for Geno to be good is logically significantly better for the Jets than Fitz to be good.He is 8 years younger. If Geno can somehow turn the corner and be something, we get 10 years of enjoyable football. If Fitz can do it, we get maybe four if we're lucky. 

I don't know about you but Geno is a better long term investment option. He doesn't cost the Jets anything significant unless he does turn the corner so why the **** not root for him?

There is some truth to this...and I think the regime could use Geno as an excuse if he fails...gives them a year for free, so to speak.

However, how do you justify being this aggressive in FA (who knows what they do in the draft) and give the impression you want to win now (think about all the 1 year type deals) and not roll out the QB you traded for who is at least statistically better on paper and familiar with the system? Like, what if they start Geno, give him Sept., he losses all 4 games (a couple winnable ones) and then Fitz wins 8, which is just enough to keep them out of the post season? How do you justify that away?

All that said, I dont think its out of the realm of possibility that Geno just straight up beats Fitz out. Fitz sucks and is career loser. Geno in his rookie season with the worst roster ever assembled won more games that season than Fitz ever has.

Couple things; 1 being that i think in this system with this cast, Geno has a punchers chance to be more than liability. we're about to find out unequivocally if he's worth being on an NFL roster.

2 - in regards to all the FA activity and infusion of talent... Look, of course the goal is to get into the playoffs, and it should be. Ultimately tho, I think priority 1 for Mac and his team was -- lets make the New York Jets a competitive football team again - first and foremost. There's no room for mailing it in in today's NFL. Whether we can be the darling team of 2015 is to be seen, but there's no excuse for not fielding a professional football team every week. That's the expectation.

I will address that point: new coaching staff has no investment in Geno and wants to win. Next question. But please continue with your personal attacks, they do well to cement your credibility around here.

Sorry. Incorrect assessment. You're done.

We certainly saw the light coming on in week 17. Guy played as well as any Jet QB has at any point in the past 15 years that day. Had a perfect passer rating. 

Now, obviously it was only one game and doesn't buy him anything. But to say the kid hasn't shown anything is just factually not true. Hoping for Geno to be good is logically significantly better for the Jets than Fitz to be good.He is 8 years younger. If Geno can somehow turn the corner and be something, we get 10 years of enjoyable football. If Fitz can do it, we get maybe four if we're lucky. 

I don't know about you but Geno is a better long term investment option. He doesn't cost the Jets anything significant unless he does turn the corner so why the **** not root for him?

I hear ya, but my issue is it was week 17, eliminated from playoffs, different pressure mentally. I need to see consistent play when pressure on and we arent eliminated..2 years in a row ,we've heard 'he looked good last 4 weeks',,well, ya, 2 years that we were also eliminated.. Pressure of pride different than pressure of making playoffs and playing teams w/same pressure..

bottom line,, new coach/gm, zero allegiance ot Geno, and the addition of a very good secondary in off season will show ASAP in camp as Genp gpoes w/1s on O against 1's on D whether he gets it (remember, new playbook also,,which isnt new to Fitz)

hmmmm, anger issues, I see. Work on that, you will live longer :)

also, using dense and ignorant against posters can get u banned,,fyi Mods...............

We all agree best case scenario is Geno beats out Fitz and wins the job. I do disagree it doesn't cost us anything if we start him even if he fails to earn it--wins, an enjoyable season, possible--dare I even say it--shot at playoffs but the big one is opportunity cost of failing to plan for the future. If he earns it with superior play, then yes he should start and Jets should do everything possible to help him succeed. I just hope we don't have another lost season by handing a job to a guy who doesn't earn it.

Oh gee how will I recover from conclusory dismissals of my opinion by someone who cannot support his own without resorting to playground name-calling. You cut me to the quick!

We all agree best case scenario is Geno beats out Fitz and wins the job. I do disagree it doesn't cost us anything if we start him even if he fails to earn it--wins, an enjoyable season, possible--dare I even say it--shot at playoffs but the big one is opportunity cost of failing to plan for the future. If he earns it with superior play, then yes he should start and Jets should do everything possible to help him succeed. I just hope we don't have another lost season by handing a job to a guy who doesn't earn it.

As has been stated throughout this thread, of course you don't hand him the job. But if its close, Geno starts. 

Jet fans have lost their minds!

Fitz is a mediocre QB with very limited abilities & won't last more than 2 games behind this Oline.

Geno had to run for his life quite a few times in situations where Fitz would have been squashed like a bug.

We need to draft another QB to challenge Geno.

Fitz is here in case Geno gets injured.

I don't understand why people come back to this line of thinking.  Geno ran for his life because he can't make a decision in under 5 seconds.  Our Oline wasn't as bad as people make it out to be in protection.  Geno was in the top 5 of ALL QBs for "time to throw" and still would turn the ball over, whether through the air or fumbling.

Geno was the main problem the last two years.  Sure there were other problems but every team has holes and problems.  He was never ready to start but b/c he has I don't think he will fix his issues on the fly.  Time on the bench and a good coaching eye could fix those issues over time but you can't expect him to fix them on the fly in the pressure cooker of NY.

Oh gee how will I recover from conclusory dismissals of my opinion by someone who cannot support his own without resorting to playground name-calling. You cut me to the quick!

Effective and efficient. That's how I roll. You're assessment is not accurate. Case dismissed.

Effective and efficient. That's how I roll. You're assessment is not accurate. Case dismissed.

again, dont repeat the derisive words from earlier in thread or you may be 86'ed...... 

As an aside, I assume you realize how hilarious it is to say 'case dismissed' to someone who has argued before the Supreme Court, LOL

I don't understand why people come back to this line of thinking.  Geno ran for his life because he can't make a decision in under 5 seconds.  Our Oline wasn't as bad as people make it out to be in protection.  Geno was in the top 5 of ALL QBs for "time to throw" and still would turn the ball over, whether through the air or fumbling.

Geno was the main problem the last two years.  Sure there were other problems but every team has holes and problems.  He was never ready to start but b/c he has I don't think he will fix his issues on the fly.  Time on the bench and a good coaching eye could fix those issues over time but you can't expect him to fix them on the fly in the pressure cooker of NY.

We disagree. I've been saying all along that I have no idea if Geno can be a good NFL QB, but he's shown flashes when they take off the leash that Rex tied to him.

It's funny how every Jet fan expects an Andrew Luck revival with a 2nd round pick coming out of a spread offense, taking no snaps from center & trying to play with one decent outside receiver with a bad hammy & a rookie TE.

Do you guys realize how many throws a guy that Stafford makes that Calvin Johnson keeps from being intercepted?

QBs play with no confidence with Rex, same thing happened with his father. Steve Young looks at Rex as a "QB killer".

Asking Geno to learn an offense (WCO) that Steve Young claims takes 3 years to run & 5 years to MASTER is expecting a little too much don't you think?

I want to see how Chan Gailey can simplify the offense now that Geno has a legit #1 in Marshall. Geno needs some confidence & a system he feels comfortable in if he can have any success.

I'm just not ready to throw him in the trash heap like most Jet fans.

Now if you told me we could trade for Rivers during the draft of course I'm all for that!

We disagree. I've been saying all along that I have no idea if Geno can be a good NFL QB, but he's shown flashes when they take off the leash that Rex tied to him.

It's funny how every Jet fan expects an Andrew Luck revival with a 2nd round pick coming out of a spread offense, taking no snaps from center & trying to play with one decent outside receiver with a bad hammy & a rookie TE.

Do you guys realize how many throws a guy that Stafford makes that Calvin Johnson keeps from being intercepted?

QBs play with no confidence with Rex, same thing happened with his father. Steve Young looks at Rex as a "QB killer".

Asking Geno to learn an offense (WCO) that Steve Young claims takes 3 years to run & 5 years to MASTER is expecting a little too much don't you think?

I want to see how Chan Gailey can simplify the offense now that Geno has a legit #1 in Marshall. Geno needs some confidence & a system he feels comfortable in if he can have any success.

I'm just not ready to throw him in the trash heap like most Jet fans.

Now if you told me we could trade for Rivers during the draft of course I'm all for that!

You are right we are going to disagree on this.  It's not just the offense, its the decision making.  He can't consistently make reads to receivers if they aren't open by a country mile.  I'm not a Geno hater or a Geno apologist I just plainly think the kid can't make the decisions and I think he can't learn ball security on the fly.  Also most QBs can make up for some flaws like being able to hit an unbelievably deep ball or be super accurate on short/intermediate routes.  Geno has shown that he doesn't excel at any one area of the game and is in some cases the worst QB in other areas.

Bottom line for me is everything is about timing and we ****ed up Geno's timing.  He needed 2 or 3 yrs riding the bench, he didn't get that and now its even harder for him to overcome all the other issues in his game since he's become a mental midget at the position. (This is the worst case scenario and no week 17 game will ever change my mind on it)

I still think we should keep him and develop him and hopefully get some possible trade value for him after his rookie contract expires and during that time if he gets the opportunity to come into the game and truly make ppl turn heads and earn back the right to lead the team then I'll be happy to eat my share of crow.

When he leads jets to playoffs he will get award

Even if he becoms the MVP, wins the SB and is the SB MVP, he still won't get the CPoY award because he wouldn't be 'coming back' from anything to speak of.

Ryan Fitzpatrick-- comeback player of year. 24tds, 11int

Hard to get those numbers on the Bench for at-least the start of the year. 

But even if he did - he played last year. No chance of him winning comeback player of the year. That will prob go to Adrian Peterson. 

Even if he becoms the MVP, wins the SB and is the SB MVP, he still won't get the CPoY award because he wouldn't be 'coming back' from anything to speak of.

broken leg shortened a career year and nfl exile in houston. players have "come back" from less to win the award. philips rivers is one example.

Peterson will not win Comeback Player of the Year.  There's no way he gets enough votes for that award, as the voters almost certainly wouldn't cast their vote for him after what it is he'd be coming back from.

Fitzpatrick could conceivably win it.  He's coming back off of a broken leg, and winning the starting job with the Jets and then leading the to the playoffs would be enough to at least warrant consideration for it after bouncing around the league a bit.  Don't think he would win it, even if he did all of that, though.

Hard to get those numbers on the Bench for at-least the start of the year. 

But even if he did - he played last year. No chance of him winning comeback player of the year. That will prob go to Adrian Peterson. 

philip rivers won after playing the entire prior season. fitz coming back from injury shortened year from cesspool of houston.

philip rivers won after playing the entire prior season. fitz coming back from injury shortened year from cesspool of houston.

Your Projecting 25TD's for him this year and to get comeback player of the year. 

He Threw 17 TD's last year in 12 games or roughly 1.5 TD's per game. So at that pace if he played 16 games he would had thrown about 23-24 TD.

You basically saying he is going to repeat last years performance yet somehow win comeback player of the year for it. I get that your trying to say hes going to be good and see where your coming from but theres no shot at him winning CPOY.  

While I do think Geno will start because "Thats the way the NFL works" - I do agree fitz will likely have good numbers if he starts. 

Archived